RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry you're dealing with that frustration, Nyanko. :annoyed:

Members don't see this ad.

We should just let all of our pets run free to catch diseases and suffer slow, painful deaths. :thumbup: Then they can eat "natural diets" and mate with whoever they want, and they'll all be one big happy, healthy, well-fed family!

Speaking of which - my cat, Artemis, has been really interested in going out on our balcony so I let her out there under supervision yesterday. She immediately went to the railing and got into a jumping posture. I'm pretty sure she wanted to chase the squirrels but still not ok with her hurting herself and running off.

Isn't no interaction with other species a bit unnatural? I doubt there are many animals in the wild that never see or interact with other animals.

So what are organizations that you guys like and support? I like writing about that stuff in my blog, so I need more ideas. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of which - my cat, Artemis, has been really interested in going out on our balcony so I let her out there under supervision yesterday. She immediately went to the railing and got into a jumping posture. I'm pretty sure she wanted to chase the squirrels but still not ok with her hurting herself and running off.

How dare you suppress your cat's natural instincts and keep her from doing whatever makes her happy!! :rolleyes:

Isn't no interaction with other species a bit unnatural? I doubt there are many animals in the wild that never see or interact with other animals.

So what are organizations that you guys like and support? I like writing about that stuff in my blog, so I need more ideas. :D

I support my local shelter and AAHA. If I knew my local rescues better, I would support them, too.

I'm also a member of the AVMA currently - but only because they give me free CE at this point and my corporation paid for my membership.

How dare you suppress your cat's natural instincts and keep her from doing whatever makes her happy!! :rolleyes:

she's really not all that bright (read: used to run into the wall headfirst). I value her companionship more than her happiness at following her instincts

I got to the point in vet school where I stopped trying to learn it the way they wanted and learned it the way I wanted. It led to a lot less study time.

I started out like that, honestly. First year I had enough of a background that I could still manage well enough. This year has flattened me cause most of it is new and I'm still doing that.

she's really not all that bright (read: used to run into the wall headfirst). I value her companionship more than her happiness at following her instincts

I think Emiloo was being sarcastic...

We should just let all of our pets run free to catch diseases and suffer slow, painful deaths. :thumbup: Then they can eat "natural diets" and mate with whoever they want, and they'll all be one big happy, healthy, well-fed family!

i invite these people to come to a caribbean island where the above is "pet ownership." come see and decide for yourselves whether dogs fending for themselves makes them better off :rolleyes: (hint hint the top two things we see at our animal hospital are HBCs and ehrlichiosis and a bit less commonly, poisonings)

oops forgot to mention all the canine TVT we have down here! and the average life span of an island dog seems to be maybe 5 yrs

i invite these people to come to a caribbean island where the above is "pet ownership." come see and decide for yourselves whether dogs fending for themselves makes them better off :rolleyes: (hint hint the top two things we see at our animal hospital are HBCs and ehrlichiosis and a bit less commonly, poisonings)

oops forgot to mention all the canine TVT we have down here! and the average life span of an island dog seems to be maybe 5 yrs

I would have thought heartworm would be pretty common, too.

I would have thought heartworm would be pretty common, too.

we probably do, i just haven't personally seen a case of it at our hospital yet. but we always have a slew of broken things (and they have to stay the entire healing time post-op b/c we have incredibly low rates of owner compliance) and everything is always ehrlichia positive (even students have a lot of problems because the tick population here is rampant! rigorous pet prevention and environmental precautions don't keep the suckers away)

I was just adding backstory. Don't worry, I caught the sarcasm.:)

haha, okay, sorry, just making sure.

and, my cat is probably exactly as dumb as yours, but with an almost nonstop play/hunter attitude, which is one of many reasons why she is never going to get to go outdoors.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, okay, sorry, just making sure.

and, my cat is probably exactly as dumb as yours, but with an almost nonstop play/hunter attitude, which is one of many reasons why she is never going to get to go outdoors.

I think the best part of her new found fascination of the balcony is that she is absolutely terrified of going out the front door to get outside. Even when I've taken her to grassy areas. But the balcony is great!

She also has the hunter attitude and loves to eat flies - even ones I can't really see. Hence, the name Artemis.

I have a friend who is both vegan and a vet. She has said that if farming practices were more humane and sustainable, she would have no problem with eating meat/dairy products, etc. She wishes that I lived closer because she said she would definitely eat eggs from my backyard flock/pets. I don't think she has an issue with honey.

My other vegan/vet friend (is it odd that I know more than one?!?) who is really militant tried to tell me (an entomologist) that honey production exploits bees. It doesn't. You can't reason with her, though. She fails to understand that a number of medications require animal products for production, people eat bugs when they are sleeping, and don't get me started on insects in food products. I have a whole lecture that I give on that, and if more people knew about it, sales of peanut butter, chocolate, ketchup, and most canned goods would probably plummet. This particular vegan/vet friend thinks that all farm animals should be released to run free. A little nutty? Yep. But she's not all bad. :laugh:

Haha. I learned little bit about this stuff when I took my entomology class during the fall semester of my senior year. By far my favorite class.I actually think I would consider studying entomology further if i ever get the chance. Anywho, I decided to refrain from informing my roommates about how much is actually allowed into food production because they already weren't happy about my pet cockroach and I was afraid that they would all stop eating, especially the vegetarian who doesn't eat much to begin with.

I think the best part of her new found fascination of the balcony is that she is absolutely terrified of going out the front door to get outside. Even when I've taken her to grassy areas. But the balcony is great!

She also has the hunter attitude and loves to eat flies - even ones I can't really see. Hence, the name Artemis.

I worry how my cat will handle a balcony (if I am every lucky enough to have one). She loves lounging on the couch in the sun, so I'd love to be able to let her chill on a sunny balcony, but until she gets older and calms down some, I seriously worry about what she would do if a bird/bug flew by. She already tries to jump into my window when she sees birds outside. :/

Love the name Artemis, btw. So cute!

My cat has absolutely no teeth. And he still has hunting instincts LOL. I don't think so buddy .....

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

When I lived in a condo in L.A. my cat LOVED the balcony, but she would jump up on the ledge (which had a metal rail on top of the stone). Freaked us out. Then she started trying to climb from one balcony to another (they were sort of angled - we were a corner of the unit).

So we hired a contractor to install plexiglass behind the railing, and between the buildings. She then had her own plexiglass tunnel. She LOVED it. She would watch birds but never made a move towards one thankfully. For a few years, I think she forgot we existed she was so happy.

Now she is as clingy as ever.

Vegans don't eat honey? That is going too far, bees make honey naturally and don't die in the process. I don't get it.
Also, you can't make chickens stop producing eggs and if you don't milk lactating cows they would be pretty uncomfortable. I realize that the mass production of eggs and milk can be seen as less than animal friendly, but what about backyard chickens? I know many who have great chicken lives. Why is it wrong to eat those eggs? What else would you do with them?

Bees die when they sting. Vegans better not let themselves get stung. :scared:

Are you ****ing kidding me?! :mad:

Sadly, this wouldn't surprise me at the clinic I work for. It's part of a humane society so we get crazy stories like this all the time. We recently had someone surrender a 6 month old puppy because their 3 yr old son wasn't taking care of it. They were 100% serious. The puppy got adopted like two days later once he was neutered.

Uhhh, I have no words to describe this Penguins/Flyers game.

haha I was just about to go on the Rave thread and talk about how I can't look away :laugh:

For someone who doesn't care about either team, this is awesome! :D

There's nothing better than watching two Penn teams beat the **** out of each other!

Uhhh, I have no words to describe this Penguins/Flyers game.

I'm working this weekend and FINALLY got a chance to look at the score just now. What the hell happened?!?! The only thing I can say is that I wanted the Flyers to lose more than I want to see the Devils win tonight. Think I'll go depress myself with the box score before I get the heck out of here. This will also provide enough time for the drunks to leave the bar down the street from me (or at least I hope). **sigh**

Box Score... Penalties = :eek: 13 simultaneous at 15:18 in the 3rd??? Good lord! But I am really sad that I missed the fight in the first between Crosby and Giroux. I hope Crosby left a mark!

Last edited:
3 year olds now a days are just so spoiled and privileged they aren't even taking care of puppies? Well back in my days...... ah **** it. No cushioning that story.

I was thinking the same thing ... can't even make a decent joke because it is so stupid/absurd ....

I think someone has an invisible energy sucking gun pointed at me, and they have been using it constantly. :sleep:

Are you ****ing kidding me?! :mad:

I really want to think that it was a misunderstanding - like mom thought dad was feeding him, dad thought mom was feeding him, but unfortunately that's not the vibe I got from the owners at all. He's been getting some treats and such from the kids, but apparently no regular meals since they got him from the breeder. (Not to mention he shouldn't have been sold so young...) He's super sweet and is a little tiny yorkie puppy that can pretty much sit in the palm of my hand.

I think someone has an invisible energy sucking gun pointed at me, and they have been using it constantly. :sleep:

That would make sense as to why I just want to sleep ALL the time. (But in my case it may just be stress/depression ....:oops:)

Bf is in a terrible mood today..

Don't like it because it might be the last time I get to see him before I leave for Germany in three weeks.. :(

I hate when the only option I have for submitting a resume is to copy and paste it into a tex tbox. The formatting gets all messed up and even after I fix it, it still ends up being messed up when you leave the page. Grrrrrr.

I hate when the only option I have for submitting a resume is to copy and paste it into a tex tbox. The formatting gets all messed up and even after I fix it, it still ends up being messed up when you leave the page. Grrrrrr.

worst... thing... ever! :annoyed:

I really want to think that it was a misunderstanding - like mom thought dad was feeding him, dad thought mom was feeding him, but unfortunately that's not the vibe I got from the owners at all. He's been getting some treats and such from the kids, but apparently no regular meals since they got him from the breeder. (Not to mention he shouldn't have been sold so young...) He's super sweet and is a little tiny yorkie puppy that can pretty much sit in the palm of my hand.

The running joke (not much of one) at the feed store my vaccine clinic is partners with is that this lady came in and asked the staff if she needs to give her cat water. WATER.

OH MAH GAHD.

And then when they asked her what she fed the cat, she simply replies "bread."

WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM????

Thank god she was in a store that sells high quality cat food!

The running joke (not much of one) at the feed store my vaccine clinic is partners with is that this lady came in and asked the staff if she needs to give her cat water. WATER.

OH MAH GAHD.

And then when they asked her what she fed the cat, she simply replies "bread."

WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM????

Thank god she was in a store that sells high quality cat food!
Oh good Lord! I really want you to be kidding......

Got into vet school :thumbup: now I am writing a sale ad for my pony :thumbdown:

Love you Roxy
Roxy.jpg

I'm working this weekend and FINALLY got a chance to look at the score just now. What the hell happened?!?! The only thing I can say is that I wanted the Flyers to lose more than I want to see the Devils win tonight. Think I'll go depress myself with the box score before I get the heck out of here. This will also provide enough time for the drunks to leave the bar down the street from me (or at least I hope). **sigh**

Box Score... Penalties = :eek: 13 simultaneous at 15:18 in the 3rd??? Good lord! But I am really sad that I missed the fight in the first between Crosby and Giroux. I hope Crosby left a mark!

Wasn't much of a fight really. Just some jostling and grappling wresting stuff. Philly owns Pittsburgh. All you need to know. :smuggrin:

Went to bed at 1, up at 5. I effing hate finals week!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could get my cats to understand that I do not wake when they want me to. I keep them on a strict schedule for feeding and ignore them until I leave the bedroom (they aren't allowed in because the husband is allergic). But I want to be able to sleep until my alarm clock goes off.

I wish I could get my cats to understand that I do not wake when they want me to. I keep them on a strict schedule for feeding and ignore them until I leave the bedroom (they aren't allowed in because the husband is allergic). But I want to be able to sleep until my alarm clock goes off.

Do you have some of those sit outside the door pawing at it and yowling? I have one of those... I swear she does it just to irritate me, because then she leaves me alone once I open the door.

She has said that if farming practices were more humane and sustainable, she would have no problem with eating meat/dairy products, etc

This is actually where I am in my head right now. If I think about it, I don't actually like the way a lot of animals are raised and/or their products produced - swine is probably top of the list followed by layers. I don't think raising animals for food or killing them for food is wrong at all, but I've taken steps toward finding animal products that (at least in my opinion) are raised in a better situation than the more traditional practices. I've cut pork out of my diet entirely (for now, at least), buy free range eggs and just eat less meat in general.

This is actually where I am in my head right now. If I think about it, I don't actually like the way a lot of animals are raised and/or their products produced - swine is probably top of the list followed by layers. I don't think raising animals for food or killing them for food is wrong at all, but I've taken steps toward finding animal products that (at least in my opinion) are raised in a better situation than the more traditional practices. I've cut pork out of my diet entirely (for now, at least), buy free range eggs and just eat less meat in general.

I have my own tiny flock of backyard hens just for this reason. Never thought we would be able to do it because we live in a SUPER residential area and barely have a backyard, but it's a lot easier to do than you'd think. I'd recommend it to anyone. Chickens are really easy to take care of. They just poop a lot, and everywhere...

All this talk about the treatment of food animals just makes me shake my head LOL. I was asked about the treatment of production animals in my K state interview. I answered honestly that I understand the farmer's side that they need to produce at very high numbers and in a lot of cases for low margins. But that I also understand that animal welfare is very important like keeping large numbers of animals in a small space.
Well one of my interviewers kind of ripped me a new one telling me that I am very misinformed. Animal producers have done a vast amount of research on this because it is in their best interest to have healthy happy animals. Got an example with chickens in that if they are given an open door they don't use it.

..... I did not get in there ....

I have my own tiny flock of backyard hens just for this reason. Never thought we would be able to do it because we live in a SUPER residential area and barely have a backyard, but it's a lot easier to do than you'd think. I'd recommend it to anyone. Chickens are really easy to take care of. They just poop a lot, and everywhere...

Now that I'm in a much more rural area, there seems to be more opportunity for this kind of thing. A guy has a backyard flock about 2mins down the road with fresh eggs, there's a dairy farm that raises broiler chickens free range and I've heard of people with free range pork. Unfortunately there are also coyotes and big-ass foxes out here so chickens take a little more effort to wrangle them up every night so they don't get eaten :rolleyes:

All this talk about the treatment of food animals just makes me shake my head LOL. I was asked about the treatment of production animals in my K state interview. I answered honestly that I understand the farmer's side that they need to produce at very high numbers and in a lot of cases for low margins. But that I also understand that animal welfare is very important like keeping large numbers of animals in a small space.
Well one of my interviewers kind of ripped me a new one telling me that I am very misinformed. Animal producers have done a vast amount of research on this because it is in their best interest to have healthy happy animals. Got an example with chickens in that if they are given an open door they don't use it.

That's the thing about food animals kept traditionally: they're very healthy and well-cared for. Some of it is because they're the profit, and some of it is because the farmer cares about their animals. I don't doubt that. But I don't think health is a complete assessment of welfare. Nor is keeping your animals outside and ~*free*~ but not giving them things like dewormers or vaccines. I think there's a balance that needs to be achieved between having healthy, cared for animals and animals that get to experience what I imagine are animal pleasures like lying in the sun, digging around in the grass/mud, etc. And really, there are plenty of dairy, beef and sheep operations that incorporate this into their production. It's mostly swine and chickens I have a hard time with.

Last edited:
I actually have a few issues with the dairy industry. Perpetually pregnant etc. But that was my ending statement that there has to be a balance. They didn't like that :confused: