RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Lissarae and if Browns hired people full time I would be there in a heartbeat, but as long as the manager is there I get a lifetime discount. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just feel like crap. Grad school has beaten any confidence I had in myself out of me, and just when my vet school acceptance(s) started to make me feel better, I'm reminded of how little I've accomplished despite all my efforts, and the efforts/time/$$ of others. I feel like a failure who has managed to ruin my advisors' desires to have future students. :(

I think everyone at one time or another, will be in a situation where they've let themselves down, realized they were in way over their head, disinterested in a topic they thought they loved prior to jumping in, etc. You were probably accepted into the Ph.D program because you were a top applicant - you had the best grades and interviewed well. It's difficult to believe that you're the first student your advisors' mentored that either quit for disinterest or lack of motivation or had the 'right' skill set to continue doing research. i have several friends from undergrad with mixed emotions in regards to their Ph.D program, and in the past 2 yrs, 2 have quit, while 1 constantly contemplates quitting as she says she's bored to tears and isn't fit for that high a level of academic nerdism. The same situation happens in vet school. While most pass and persevere, there are some who can't handle a class of all type A personality students and A grade marks, when now you work your butt off for a passing grade. As difficult as it is, try to put your Ph.D work behind you. With vet school giving you a clean slate and a different method of learning and achieving, you're bound to find that vet med is more your style than research. You were accepted to both, that's reason alone to pat yourself on the back. I know it's a cliche to say learn from your mistakes; look forward, not backward. :) In your case, I think that's your best defense. It's okay to not be the best at everything and for something to not quite work out. That's called life. However, you're anything but a failure and I hope you'll pick yourself up, brush yourself off and scrap the negativity. You got in to multiple vet schools, which is a reason to celebrate. You know research isn't your forte, yet you only know that you've convinced more than one vet school that you would make a terrific veterinarian, enough for them to deny admission to others and offer a seat to you. I know from my own abilities and successes that hard work AND a positive attitude is key. Vet school has offered a seat to you, they trust you, you will not have to sit in a lab for countless hours the rest of your life. :luck:I have a feeling you will get through vet school just fine. :luck::idea:

I hate it when owners take a pet home to die. Probable FIP kitty came in today for not eating/weight loss. A little stress made her tachypneic and she started turning blue. I went to talk to them while I had her on oxygen especially when the rads turned up pleural effusion. they wanted to take her home and see how she'd be.:mad:

I hate it when owners take a pet home to die. Probable FIP kitty came in today for not eating/weight loss. A little stress made her tachypneic and she started turning blue. I went to talk to them while I had her on oxygen especially when the rads turned up pleural effusion. they wanted to take her home and see how she'd be.:mad:
Ugg I hate that, too. Almost nothing worse than knowing an animal is going to go home and have the last few hours/days of their life in misery.

A man brought his dog into the clinic today for lethargy & anorexia.. I do an initial PE and the dogs gums are pale and tacky, his abdomen was distended and he had labored breathing. The man ok'd blood work which showed he was diabetic and anemic. At 13 yrs old the man elected to euth. While the man stepped out for some air I went in to place a catheter and the Dog starts agonal breathing.. He died before the dad made it back to the room.. :(

Developed a UTI in the 4 hours preceding my shift at the clinic today. I pretty much wanted to die. God the pain.

So, I'm currently in a PhD program but will be leaving to go to vet school. I'm trying to get a Master's, so my advisors and I were talking about writing a thesis and it was just an incredibly depressing conversation. The truth is- I'm not a good researcher. No matter how smart I might be or how much time I spend in the lab, I'm just not good at benchwork. I repeat the same protocols as my labmates and they don't work; I use the same cell lines and they don't grow/express protein/etc. as they should; I do the same experiment on two nearly-identical groups of mice and get conflicting results. And I have no idea why; I'm just not suited for this type of science. Anyway, my advisors and I realized that I could write a thesis but it would be complete crap, b/c my data doesn't = a nice story to tell. There's *a lot* of it, but I can't make solid conclusions from it. I started my program w/out a lot of bench experience, and I struggled on my own to do experiments, b/c my labmates are super helpful but only have so much time to guide me. My advisors said in the future they'd reconsider taking on a grad student when they know they won't have much time to give them individual instruction.

I just feel like crap. Grad school has beaten any confidence I had in myself out of me, and just when my vet school acceptance(s) started to make me feel better, I'm reminded of how little I've accomplished despite all my efforts, and the efforts/time/$$ of others. I feel like a failure who has managed to ruin my advisors' desires to have future students. :(

I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm a MS student; I definitely feel your pain. When I talk to postdocs, they often say it's unrealistic to have a story to tell within 2-3 years unless your project is very focused and centered (and if you live in lab).

One of the new MS students I have been mentoring had a really rough first quarter because of lack of mentorship from my PI. She asked me if the point of grad school is to make you feel stupid. I personally think that academia tends to show everyone how little they know in the scope of things and how much there is to learn and research. Some professors that I know get a kick out of dumbing us MS students down. Don't be so hard on yourself--I don't think your advisors will avoid having future students; they need us to do experiments for them! Plus people can build on your experiences and results later on in the lab. Keep your head up, mlk45!!

My friggin devil kitten just ruined his 6th pair of headphones this month... I got up from the table for 30 seconds and came back to him chewing straight through the wires, again. I even have a case I keep them in. The last pair he pulled out of my suitcase after I got home from traveling, other pairs I've had hidden away and he just magically finds them. First two pairs were my fault to be fair, but I thought I had gotten smarter. He's like a truffle hog except for headphones. It's a good thing he's so damn cute.

So long story, My dog had unilateral nasal discharge, took her to vet and her submandiblar lymph nodes were swollen. We did an aspirate and they were reactive. We then proceeded to do a rhinoscopy and biopsy because they were thinking it could be along the lines of a FB, fungal, or neoplasia.

Well its now 2 months post rhinoscopy, histopath concluded lymphocytic plasmacytic rhinitis, and now she has tons of mucous discharge coming from both nostrils and is in even worse shape with labored breathing due to blocked airways.

Not a day goes by that I think I just made my dogs life worse :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I was playing really well today in my tournament and then a big ass storm decides to come through Tampa. Of course.

My ex called me for the first time since the end of January. Again. This is someone who called several times a day from November to about mid-January, sent several e-mails, ran up my text messaging bill so much I had to disable my text messages. He was very verbally abusive (and I'm very thankful we were long distance) but I imagine it shocked him I eventually worked up the courage to finally leave. I don't know if he's in denial when he says he has absolutely no idea what happened (during our last trip together, I told him that things needed to change - and what things - or I couldn't do our relationship any longer and I spent an hour talking with him about my decision to break up, so it's not like I just up and left) or if he genuinely sees nothing wrong with his behaviour, but I wish he would quit calling. I was doing so well and I don't need to deal with the anxiety that comes from having your ex call your phone so often in a day it almost renders it unusable for everything you actually need it for...

I was doing so well and I don't need to deal with the anxiety that comes from having your ex call your phone so often in a day it almost renders it unusable for everything you actually need it for...

Seems like you could use a change of phone number...

Seems like you could use a change of phone number...

The issue is how much it's attached to. If he starts another round of obsessively calling (so far it was only this morning), I'll see about changing it. I think there's only one or two outstanding calls, regarding volunteer/job opportunities, that will require me to keep the same number through this next week. But if he starts it up again, I might have to disconnect it. I'd simply think about paying to have his number blocked but he uses a SIM card that allows him to contact me from a different American number each time he calls/texts (though this time, he used his Irish number) so I think I'm going to have to go through the hassle of getting my number changed in the end. I'm just hoping his next step isn't to think it's worth it to show up on my doorstep...

The issue is how much it's attached to. If he starts another round of obsessively calling (so far it was only this morning), I'll see about changing it. I think there's only one or two outstanding calls, regarding volunteer/job opportunities, that will require me to keep the same number through this next week. But if he starts it up again, I might have to disconnect it. I'd simply think about paying to have his number blocked but he uses a SIM card that allows him to contact me from a different American number each time he calls/texts (though this time, he used his Irish number) so I think I'm going to have to go through the hassle of getting my number changed in the end. I'm just hoping his next step isn't to think it's worth it to show up on my doorstep...

Wait, he's Irish? Does he live in California though? Hmm... just from hearing your side of the story, it doesn't sound good. He might be hurt, but he needs to move on too.

Wait, he's Irish? Does he live in California though? Hmm... just from hearing your side of the story, it doesn't sound good. He might be hurt, but he needs to move on too.

No, he lives in Ireland. We were friends since we were young teens and then dated for a little over a year and a half. His relationship with his ex was toxic, but I assumed that he and I would avoid that because I didn't string him along, cheat on him, etc. or curse him out and return his behaviour (I had thought that him and his ex both partook in the abuse and that he had learned from it and would never do it to me too - so naive... what makes it worse is he treated me in our friendship much the way he ultimately treated me in our relationship). His mother passed away 6 months into our relationship, but over a year later, he was still taking out his anger on me. He would tell me to "f--- off" if I said something - anything - to him when he was upset, but then if I said nothing or responded with an emoticon, he would yell at me and tell me I don't care. He used to play LoL and when he'd lose, he'd often say he wished he could stand on his teammate's heads until they cracked or he wished he could shove their heads in ovens. He would often withhold affection from me for something someone else did or he'd up and randomly decide to curse me out and ignore me for hours on end because I asked him if he was okay when his responses got to be one word answers. One time, I had to end our conversation and go to class and he told me he hated me and he didn't want to talk to me ever again. By the end of our relationship, I learned that I was walking on eggshells around him. Still, I went and visited him. He repeated the same behaviours in person and often would slam the door, leaving me in his room, and he wouldn't talk to me until he was ready to. If I got frustrated, he would ignore me again and tell me he didn't want to talk to me and he didn't feel like doing anything with me. He also tried a few times to use derogatory names/actions in the bedroom with me. I told him on a few different occasions during tearful heartfelt conversations that I needed him to change, and in what ways, or I couldn't keep doing it anymore. He cried and said he was sorry and he promised he'd change but he never did. Our relationship got even worse after I lost my cat. I think my biggest mistake was that I allowed it to continue and I rationalized it so much I didn't notice how scared I was of him and his black and white moods. Because he lives in Ireland, I don't think he'd ever show up on my doorstep? But it is a fear, and phone calls make it so easy even though I've changed everything else, so maybe I need to change my number too.

We broke up in November and there's been absolutely no contact since I spoke to him on the phone explaining why I was breaking up with him. Like I literally have not responded to or even opened any e-mails (other than an initial few, only to see they were hateful, and stopped soon after that), disabled my text messages and I have deleted all his voicemails and not answered or even rejected any of his phone calls.

Last edited:
^ Definitely change your number. If he shows up at your door, call the police. Seriously. Tell him through the closed, locked door that you don't want to see him and you want him to leave. If he doesn't, call the police. It may seem extreme, but he is harassing you and has a history of abusive behavior, and that is not okay.

My rant:
I allowed my bf to talk me into coming along to the weekly roleplay game he runs with his friends. I've been sitting here for FIVE HOURS now and I am so unbelievably BORED. And they're still not done yet. I wish I'd at least brought my laptop so I could be working on job applications with this time. These are five hours of my life that I'm never going to get back . . .

Apparently I'm not nerdy enough for this crap.

^ Definitely change your number. If he shows up at your door, call the police. Seriously. Tell him through the closed, locked door that you don't want to see him and you want him to leave. If he doesn't, call the police. It may seem extreme, but he is harassing you and has a history of abusive behavior, and that is not okay.

My rant:
I allowed my bf to talk me into coming along to the weekly roleplay game he runs with his friends. I've been sitting here for FIVE HOURS now and I am so unbelievably BORED. And they're still not done yet. I wish I'd at least brought my laptop so I could be working on job applications with this time. These are five hours of my life that I'm never going to get back . . .

You should make a character and play with him! I think it's sweet he wanted to include you :)

You should make a character and play with him! I think it's sweet he wanted to include you :)

I appreciated being included, especially since he and his friends have been doing this two nights a week since before I met him over a year ago and this is the first time I've been invited to a game. But it's definitely not my cup of tea.

I appreciated being included, especially since he and his friends have been doing this two nights a week since before I met him over a year ago and this is the first time I've been invited to a game. But it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Yeah. I get that. At least you tried. You're a good girlfriend :)

Thank you. I definitely have been keeping my phone and pepper spray with me. I'm that paranoid. The only reason I'm so paranoid is because even though his ticket wasn't booked, we'd been planning for him to come out this week before I broke up with him. I want to believe he's not stupid enough to spend money he doesn't have (seriously, I paid for everything in our relationship), but his actions have shown that he's far from rational. Once I hear back from the practice manager I called about any potential opportunities with their clinic, I'll plan on changing my number.

Thank you. I definitely have been keeping my phone and pepper spray with me. I'm that paranoid. The only reason I'm so paranoid is because even though his ticket wasn't booked, we'd been planning for him to come out this week before I broke up with him. I want to believe he's not stupid enough to spend money he doesn't have (seriously, I paid for everything in our relationship), but his actions have shown that he's far from rational. Once I hear back from the practice manager I called about any potential opportunities with their clinic, I'll plan on changing my number.

I agree with BlackDog. Also a ticket from Ireland to California is quite expensive, is it not? Hopefully, he won't take any actions. Is there any rational reason for you to believe that he might fly to California and do something that might cause you harm?

Has he brought you to King Richard's Faire in Carver, MA yet? :D

Five hours is a very long time when you're just sitting. Be prepared next time. That said, tabletop seems preferable to LARP. Look up LARP you'll be amused.

Yeah. I get that. At least you tried. You're a good girlfriend :)

On the plus side, when he realized how bored out of my mind I was he ended the game early. I was out of the room at the time and wouldn't even have realized that the game hadn't come to a natural end, except that when we told his friends that we were going out to dinner one of the less subtle guys replied "Oh, is this the unexpected thing that just came up?" :laugh:

He's a good boyfriend. :love:

Has he brought you to King Richard's Faire in Carver, MA yet? :D

Five hours is a very long time when you're just sitting. Be prepared next time. That said, tabletop seems preferable to LARP. Look up LARP you'll be amused.

Not yet. I'm not sure that he's into the ren fairs. I went to one once years ago and loved it. There's a lot to see and do there, unlike the roleplay game where they just spent five and a half hours talking about their characters eating and reading books. :laugh:

I've always seen tickets for that sold at costco in MA, and have wondered what the deal was with this thing. Is it fun and worth going to for the average person?

I haven't been to the one in MA, but I went to a smaller one in VT and loved it. There's lots of shows and demonstrations to see, and different vendors to browse. I have a thing for swords, so I REALLY enjoyed the weapons vendors. :D

I haven't been to the one in MA, but I went to a smaller one in VT and loved it. There's lots of shows and demonstrations to see, and different vendors to browse. I have a thing for swords, so I REALLY enjoyed the weapons vendors. :D

I really wanna go to Ren Fest here. I love that kind of stuff. We have a medieval day in the city next to ours in Germany every year. I really love bows, swords and that kind of stuff, so I can't wait to see all the things they have.

I've always seen tickets for that sold at costco in MA, and have wondered what the deal was with this thing. Is it fun and worth going to for the average person?

I am really hesitant to reply to your posts because I'm going to show how dorky I am. :laugh:

King Richard's is one of the largest faires in New England so it's good to go to at least once. About 30% of the attendees dress up and the other portion do not. I usually wear the dress I use for history reenactment. lol There is jousting at the end of the day, which is always fun to watch and the other entertainment isn't bad either. Tons of merchants to buy things from swords to leather bound books. The only thing is that the food is a bit expensive and it's the same from year to year. I've been twice and that's enough.

Last year, I went with my boyfriend and since he's Scottish everyone wanted to tell us how they were part Scottish, always loved Scotland, etc. I think we talked to one merchant for 40 minutes before she let us leave!

The one in VT was good when I went. I think it's put on by a Theatre Company so there's a story/plot?

So... is it still fun for people who aren't into swords and medieval things? Or will they feel kinda out of place?

I've never gone but I know lots of different kinds of people that aren't really interested in that stuff and they had fun.

So... is it still fun for people who aren't into swords and medieval things? Or will they feel kinda out of place?

I went with a few of my friends who weren't overly interested in medieval things. One friend liked going for a few hours to walk around, but I don't think she would rush back. The other liked the fact she could get her face painted at the same time that she drank her "yard" of beer so she was perfectly content to stay. Many people just go for the experience. Not everyone is nerdy or dressed up like an elf.

That is the worst. It makes me even more frustrated when I hear "oh well fluffy doesnt seem to be in much pain." Meanwhile, fluffy is lateral and hasn't urinated in a week. :mad:

I feel completely lost in calculus and chemistry. I have exams in both classes tomorrow......I dont know where to start. :(

I was happy that it missed the Grand Prix

things like going for a nice long walk while the weather wasn't too hot didn't happen. I was looking forward to being outside this weekend. Also wanted to wash my car. Oh well, hopefully next weekend will be better (I actually have the entire thing off for a change)

I agree with BlackDog. Also a ticket from Ireland to California is quite expensive, is it not? Hopefully, he won't take any actions. Is there any rational reason for you to believe that he might fly to California and do something that might cause you harm?
Yes and no. Yes because he has gone to some pretty impulsive lengths with his ex, he's very emotionally impulsive, and he did suggest that he would fly here and that that would allow him to fix things when we were breaking up (which I declined). No because his ex did live locally so it wouldn't have cost him near as much money ($800-1000) and I would like to think he's smarter than that. He's on the welfare system and his mother's life insurance recently came through, leaving him with a decent but still easily squandered sum of money. I would like to think that since he doesn't work, he would not waste his money on a ticket to come see me and try and reconcile when I'm sure somewhere deep down, he's aware that it's over and there's no chance of getting me back. I doubt he'd show up randomly and it probably is irrational, but seeing as he knows my address as he has visited before (and even sent me a Christmas package...), it can be intimidating sometimes.

Rant brought up by an above discussion: I think I'd like to go to a Ren Faire again, but last time I went to one (17 years ago) I ended up in the hospital with internal bleeding, many rotated/out of place bones, PTSD, and a brain injury that still affects me. I worry that I might freak out if I went to one again. Kinda sucks, because I'm exactly the sort of person who loves faires. Sigh.

Rant again.... About guess what? Work....

I got my new April schedule and they fing scheduled me full time. Sorry what? Pretty sure I'm labeled at part time which means that I should work a max of 25 hours. I picked up an extra shift in March due to the begging of the guy in charge of the schedule but was damned clear this was a one time thing.

Guess what I'm scheduled for 36 hours a week this month. :eek:

So I talked to my boss and he's going to try and remove the extra shift but made no promises. :mad:

I'm so pissed stop being picky about hiring people all I need is a warm body to order around. Hell just someone to constantly clean the place would greatly reduce my work load.

Barely slept last night. My husband won't let me drive to school (and I know he's right but that's besides the point) so I am missing class this morning even though I just had a week off. I'm exhausted but still can't sleep.

Barely slept last night. My husband won't let me drive to school (and I know he's right but that's besides the point) so I am missing class this morning even though I just had a week off. I'm exhausted but still can't sleep.

You aren't missing anything except Dr. B and lots of "let's go aheads"

And lots of people are missing. Including Mrs. Nekkid. Who can't even use hugely preggers as an excuse

It looks like I'm going to stay put this summer and continue working at my clinic. Needless to say, I'm feeling quite anxious.

I don't feel that I was properly trained (the same goes for many of the young vet assistants they hire--we are basically whisked through a check-list over the course of 2 days) and I've always felt really uncomfortable prepping for Sx and monitoring patients/anesthesia during the procedures. My last emergency surgery back in December was a nightmare; the patient died on the table... She was a very poor Sx candidate as it was, but I can't help but feel that my lack of experience/confidence was a contributing factor.

I always do my very best to communicate with the veterinarians, but that doesn't always make things easier. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I'm wondering if you guys have any tips or good resources for learning about anesthesia. I've reached out to some of the other more knowledgeable/experienced techs, and I'm hoping that there will be some late-night shifts when it's just me and the vet I'm most comfortable with and I can go over this stuff with her.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I'm wondering if you guys have any tips or good resources for learning about anesthesia. I've reached out to some of the other more knowledgeable/experienced techs, and I'm hoping that there will be some late-night shifts when it's just me and the vet I'm most comfortable with and I can go over this stuff with her.

Our clinic had a chart of what heart rate, bp, respiratory rate, and O2 values were normal for each animal under anesthesia based on breed/weight. You might want to see if you can find something similar. The techs/vets were also totally okay with me just calling out whatever the bp was when I checked it every five minutes, because they knew I was not yet comfortable determining what was normal. They preferred to hear me say normal values out loud constantly, rather than risk missing something abnormal simply because I wasn't experienced enough to know what to look for. Depending on the environment at your particular clinic, you might be able to just ask the vets you're working with if it's okay for you to verbally confirm things during surgery until you get more comfortable. That definitely helped for me.

It looks like I'm going to stay put this summer and continue working at my clinic. Needless to say, I'm feeling quite anxious.

I don't feel that I was properly trained (the same goes for many of the young vet assistants they hire--we are basically whisked through a check-list over the course of 2 days) and I've always felt really uncomfortable prepping for Sx and monitoring patients/anesthesia during the procedures. My last emergency surgery back in December was a nightmare; the patient died on the table... She was a very poor Sx candidate as it was, but I can't help but feel that my lack of experience/confidence was a contributing factor.

I always do my very best to communicate with the veterinarians, but that doesn't always make things easier. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I'm wondering if you guys have any tips or good resources for learning about anesthesia. I've reached out to some of the other more knowledgeable/experienced techs, and I'm hoping that there will be some late-night shifts when it's just me and the vet I'm most comfortable with and I can go over this stuff with her.

I would probably start by reading a few chapters on anaesthetic monitoring in a tech textbook.

Also check out onthefloor@dove, I think they have some good resources

Our clinic had a chart of what heart rate, bp, respiratory rate, and O2 values were normal for each animal under anesthesia based on breed/weight. You might want to see if you can find something similar. The techs/vets were also totally okay with me just calling out whatever the bp was when I checked it every five minutes, because they knew I was not yet comfortable determining what was normal. They preferred to hear me say normal values out loud constantly, rather than risk missing something abnormal simply because I wasn't experienced enough to know what to look for. Depending on the environment at your particular clinic, you might be able to just ask the vets you're working with if it's okay for you to verbally confirm things during surgery until you get more comfortable. That definitely helped for me.

This is what the vet I work for has me do when I'm recording values. I also report to her if anything is beyond the normal ranges, even if it's something like systolic is fine but MAP is bouncing around everywhere. As BlackDog said, they'd rather me read the numbers out than risk anything going wrong because I don't quite know how to read them. Having the cheat sheet helps too, though, as does learning when it's something to be concerned about from watching their reactions. At this point I still read things out (even though it causes a great deal of anxiety for me to do) and let them know if anything is up. Maybe you could ask to do the same?