RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry, hope she comes back soon. There are pet amber alert systems. You pay them around $20-50 and they can get information on people's phone numbers in the area as well as vets and shelters and they start calling everyone for you.

:( I hope she comes back soon. We had a scare like that with one of mine a few years ago, thankfully she was just hiding in the shrubs right near the front door.

Oh no, I hope she comes home. :(

Hope she comes home safe! Is there a blanket or something special of hers you can lay out?

Can you put some stinky fish outside to help? That worked once for me when one of my cats went missing.

Thanks all, happy to report she's home safe and sound. (Though she got a stern talking to about running away from home.) Sure enough, once it was dark, I called at the back door and heard "Prr?" and a little black furry thing came streaking out of the woods towards me. Her "Wee, I wanna go exploring!" is a new behaviour, so I'm going to have to be more diligent about sneaking out doors. Anyway, time to cuddle up with the little bad child and watch Orphan Black. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks all, happy to report she's home safe and sound. (Though she got a stern talking to about running away from home.) Sure enough, once it was dark, I called at the back door and heard "Prr?" and a little black furry thing came streaking out of the woods towards me. Her "Wee, I wanna go exploring!" is a new behaviour, so I'm going to have to be more diligent about sneaking out doors. Anyway, time to cuddle up with the little bad child and watch Orphan Black. :D
I'm so glad you got her back! It's a nightmare when a pet is missing.

Yay! So glad she got back safely :D

Members don't see this ad :)

So glad she's back home! (and Orphan Black is seriously amazing- just marathoned it this week... cannot get enough!)

Reactions: 1 users
Not really a rant, per se, but .... HAhahahahahahahAHAHAHHAAHahhahahahaha.

I'm one of those people that just has to touch something, push a button, whatever. Total curiosity. If I see a switch, button, toggle, or whatever .... I can't stop.

I just picked up this funky little white block with a button in the middle, pushed it ... and all hell broke loose in the hospital. Deafening alarms. Techs came racing back, saw me standing there with the little thing, and sighed.

Apparently I pushed the alarm panic button.

Huh. Didn't even know we had one.

Reactions: 9 users

I'm one of those people that just has to touch something, push a button, whatever. Total curiosity. If I see a switch, button, toggle, or whatever .... I can't stop.

I just picked up this funky little white block with a button in the middle, pushed it ... and all hell broke loose in the hospital. Deafening alarms. Techs came racing back, saw me standing there with the little thing, and sighed.

Bahaha! That totally would have been me too.

I think that's their mistake, honestly. They knew you (and your personality) for over a week and DIDN'T inform you what the button was for.

Maybe they had a wager going on how long it would take you to push it and see what it did. The sighing techs lost.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that's their mistake, honestly. They knew you (and your personality) for over a week and DIDN'T inform you what the button was for.

Maybe they had a wager going on how long it would take you to push it and see what it did. The sighing techs lost.

Haha! This made my night.

Who leaves unlabeled alarm buttons hanging around, anyway? That's just asking for trouble.

When someone makes a Facebook status rant that says: "My cat has an URI, so I took her to the vet. The vet didn't think so and wouldn't send me home with medicine. Little does she know that I'm actually a Zoology major and know what I'm talking about. Never seeing that vet again!" :rolleyes::yeahright::bang:+pissed+

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When someone makes a Facebook status rant that says: "My cat has an URI, so I took her to the vet. The vet didn't think so and wouldn't send me home with medicine. Little does she know that I'm actually a Zoology major and know what I'm talking about. Never seeing that vet again!" :rolleyes::yeahright::bang:+pissed+
#basicallyavet

when a client calls no less than 5 times while their pet is dropped off for a surgery finally culminating in (after discussing that her dog likely has an infectious hepatitis due to blood work) "is it hepatitis c? the person I got him from has that and I don't want to catch it from my dog!"

#basicallyavet
zoology = zoo vet, right?

Reactions: 2 users
If you ask me for vet school admissions advice/guidance and I take time out of my busy day to answer all your questions to the best of my ability, please at the very least extend a simple thanks. That's all I ask. It might even make me more keen to help you in the future. #notSDN

Last edited by a moderator:
Euthanized boxes upon boxes of baby bunnies this afternoon, keeping a grand total of 6. And we euthanized every single new (and painfully adorable) orphan raccoon admit because they literally can't take care of any more of them in the nursery. I don't even want to think about how many of them weren't actually orphans, because despite best attempts at public awareness, so many people still don't call to determine whether or not they are actually orphaned before bringing them in. :(

Euthanized boxes upon boxes of baby bunnies this afternoon, keeping a grand total of 6. And we euthanized every single new (and painfully adorable) orphan raccoon admit because they literally can't take care of any more of them in the nursery. I don't even want to think about how many of them weren't actually orphans, because despite best attempts at public awareness, so many people still don't call to determine whether or not they are actually orphaned before bringing them in. :(

Aw... Hugs...

If it's any consolation, that is better than my experience where we never euthanized anything despite being waaaay over capacity, such that all the baby bunnies were aspirating formula every 2-4 hrs because people had no time and just squirted whole syringe fulls into their mouths as it came shooting out of their noses, and pretty much 90+% of baby/juvenile raccoons got obliterated by parvo, and like <1% of baby songbirds made it to release because they were so neglected. Euthanizing healthy babies suck... but I can assure you, it could suck a lot worse. Shudder...

Not the bunnies. :(

I was weak. I stopped going onto Facebook for an entire week, except to see pictures from work. I don't count that because I don't actually interact with anyone. It's when I interact with someone that Facebook goes downhill.

A girl asked if going through school to become a vet tech would be a good route for vet school. I answered with my opinion that it would be better to be an assistant/unlicensed tech, mostly because of cost. I get this reply from another person entirely from the OP:

"This may be a state to state issue. But for the states of Michigan and Ohio, I disagree with So-and-So and So-and-So 2.0 that getting a VT degree is a waste of time and money. (If you want to be a VT and not a Vet) Only after you get a degree in VT can you take the exam. That license allows you to do many things including declawing, neutering and other minor surgery. In both of those states clinics and zoo are starting to use RVT more because they are cheaper than Vets and can do 80% of the day to day activiities needed. None licenced VT make $10 where licenced start a $15 and move up to $20 quickly."

For the orange text: I SAID EXACTLY THAT!!!!! I WAS SAYING THAT IT IS A BAD IDEA TO BECOME A VET TECH JUST TO BECOME A VET!!! DID YOU IGNORE THIS ON PURPOSE?!?

For the red text: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SURGERY AS A VET TECH!!!!! At least not in Colorado you aren't!!!! What the hell clinic are you working at that a vet tech is doing surgery?!? Secondly: A vet tech will never be able to so completely replace a veterinarian. A vet tech can do 80% of what is needed daily? I feel that is highly debatable from clinic to clinic and realm of experience (like GP versus emergency).

For the blue text: At least in Colorado, vet techs do not, DO NOT start at 15$ an hour. Not even close. Try 11-12 for general practice. Yeah, emergency, specialty, and shelter techs do start about there. But regular old GP? No. And 20$ an hour for a GP tech? Not a thing. 20$ an hour is for the techs that have been doing emergency, specialty, or shelter for five years. Sure, I will admit that some areas, maybe techs do start at 15$ an hour. But that's in areas where the cost of living demands that, not the skills of the profession.

For serious: Stop talking to people who are interested in this profession. The person who gave this response has previous given false information in regards to other questions and has shown obvious stereotyping/bias for and against certain groups in various animal industries, and has been unprofessional about it.

@pinkpuppy9, we seriously need to stop going to the APVMA facebook page. I might display poor professional decorum by reaching through the computer and punching people in the face.

"This may be a state to state issue. But for the states of Michigan and Ohio, I disagree with So-and-So and So-and-So 2.0 that getting a VT degree is a waste of time and money. (If you want to be a VT and not a Vet) Only after you get a degree in VT can you take the exam. That license allows you to do many things including declawing, neutering and other minor surgery. In both of those states clinics and zoo are starting to use RVT more because they are cheaper than Vets and can do 80% of the day to day activiities needed. None licenced VT make $10 where licenced start a $15 and move up to $20 quickly."
For the red text: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SURGERY AS A VET TECH!!!!! At least not in Colorado you aren't!!!! What the hell clinic are you working at that a vet tech is doing surgery?!? Secondly: A vet tech will never be able to so completely replace a veterinarian. A vet tech can do 80% of what is needed daily? I feel that is highly debatable from clinic to clinic and realm of experience (like GP versus emergency).

For the blue text: At least in Colorado, vet techs do not, DO NOT start at 15$ an hour. Not even close. Try 11-12 for general practice. Yeah, emergency, specialty, and shelter techs do start about there. But regular old GP? No. And 20$ an hour for a GP tech? Not a thing. 20$ an hour is for the techs that have been doing emergency, specialty, or shelter for five years. Sure, I will admit that some areas, maybe techs do start at 15$ an hour. But that's in areas where the cost of living demands that, not the skills of the profession.

I'm pretty sure in Ohio a vet tech isn't permitted to perform surgery either, regardless of how "minor" or "routine" it may be. That's squarely a privilege afforded to those with licenses to practice vet med. Actually, I recall a story from a few years ago of a vet tech in my state who was performing surgeries and ended up in serious legal trouble.

I was weak. I stopped going onto Facebook for an entire week, except to see pictures from work. I don't count that because I don't actually interact with anyone. It's when I interact with someone that Facebook goes downhill.

A girl asked if going through school to become a vet tech would be a good route for vet school. I answered with my opinion that it would be better to be an assistant/unlicensed tech, mostly because of cost. I get this reply from another person entirely from the OP:

For the orange text: I SAID EXACTLY THAT!!!!! I WAS SAYING THAT IT IS A BAD IDEA TO BECOME A VET TECH JUST TO BECOME A VET!!! DID YOU IGNORE THIS ON PURPOSE?!?

For serious: Stop talking to people who are interested in this profession. The person who gave this response has previous given false information in regards to other questions and has shown obvious stereotyping/bias for and against certain groups in various animal industries, and has been unprofessional about it.

@pinkpuppy9, we seriously need to stop going to the APVMA facebook page. I might display poor professional decorum by reaching through the computer and punching people in the face.
This article from the AVMA is specifically about dentals, but a lot of the state regulations quoted make it clear that dentals are the only surgery techs are allowed to do: https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Pages/sr-dental-procedures.aspx
Even then, most states require the supervision of a veterinarian. Also a lot of states specifically prohibit techs from making diagnoses or prognoses, or prescribing medication. The ones that don't most likely do elsewhere in their guidelines. That's generally a lot more than 20% of day-to-day activities, or at least it's a very significant 20%. Does the APVMA not have any sort of guidelines against people giving such blatantly incorrect advice on their page?

This article from the AVMA is specifically about dentals, but a lot of the state regulations quoted make it clear that dentals are the only surgery techs are allowed to do: https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Pages/sr-dental-procedures.aspx
Even then, most states require the supervision of a veterinarian. Also a lot of states specifically prohibit techs from making diagnoses or prognoses, or prescribing medication. The ones that don't most likely do elsewhere in their guidelines. That's generally a lot more than 20% of day-to-day activities, or at least it's a very significant 20%. Does the APVMA not have any sort of guidelines against people giving such blatantly incorrect advice on their page?

I just read through that group a bit. That whole group needs much better moderation. People asking for vet advice. People giving blatantly horrible veterinary advice. People not knowing at all what they are talking about in regards to various things. It is a train wreck quite honestly.

It is quite awkward being in that group and constantly wanting to bang my head on a table, but I'm a bit of a wimp about posting since that's got all of my RL info obviously. At my clinic a tech only does the cleaning and polishing, nothing else. This is coming from Michigan here with a super cheapskate of a owner, where trust me if we could do anything cheaper lawfully I'm sure she'd insist on doing so.
I also get a little ticked off with the vibe I'm getting from a few people on there who keep posting about what an advantage they'll have over regular students since they're RVTs....well yes but you actually need to get INTO school first and then see.

It is quite awkward being in that group and constantly wanting to bang my head on a table, but I'm a bit of a wimp about posting since that's got all of my RL info obviously. At my clinic a tech only does the cleaning and polishing, nothing else. This is coming from Michigan here with a super cheapskate of a owner, where trust me if we could do anything cheaper lawfully I'm sure she'd insist on doing so.
I also get a little ticked off with the vibe I'm getting from a few people on there who keep posting about what an advantage they'll have over regular students since they're RVTs....well yes but you actually need to get INTO school first and then see.

They will have a very teeny tiny advantage. I mean, very small. As in, some of the diseases won't sound foreign to them. But it is medicine, everything is changing and there are 4523453245 things you have not heard of.

Even as a prior tech (not certified, but did the exact same job as a certified tech), there was so much that I just did not know. So much. There is more than one type of diarrhea? Really? There are more pancreatic conditions than just pancreatitis? Cool! And so on and so forth....

That was what I was thinking. As far as I have learned while shadowing, vet techs are not allowed to do four things: diagnosis, prognosis, prescribing, and surgery. Seeing as those four things are probably the top four things that come out a clinic as far a revenue, I would say that vet techs cannot account for 80% of revenues. Not saying that revenues are the most important thing to consider, but without money, no one is getting paid and no supplies are getting bought.

I just read through that group a bit. That whole group needs much better moderation. People asking for vet advice. People giving blatantly horrible veterinary advice. People not knowing at all what they are talking about in regards to various things. It is a train wreck quite honestly.

The moderator is the webmaster or the secretary (but I can't remember which). No real "adult" actually moderates the group, just college students. I do agree that this needs to change. The requesting veterinary advice really irritates me (which was probably apparent if you read through that whole thing and figured out my real life identity) and should have been stopped instantly. No one even mentioned to her that we shouldn't be giving medical advice until me. The facebook page has been a problem for a while. A girl one time asked if she should take out her nose piercing for her interview at Washington or Oregon (I think). A lot of us said that making a social statement isn't worth losing a spot in school. She came back and said she wore it and still got in and that all us mother******* shouldn't let the system keep us down or something like that and kept going after that. The APVMA executive board did nothing. That really irritated me.

Not in my state. I actually declined a job offer because the clinic had techs extracting teeth (simple extractions only, but still illegal in this state).

Do you know if you could actually get in trouble if you were working in such a place and you got busted my a state inspector or anything like that?

I have no issue pointing out people's inaccuracies on that page. I am not concerned about the actual people on the page itself. The only concern I would have is veterinary schools checking the page to see how people act in social media settings. Since I keep it pretty civil, I am not very concerned for myself.

I'm glad I am not the only person who is thinking this girl is way nuts. There have been previous posts where she and I have butted heads and I thought there was the possibility that I was being a little overly sensitive (I was So-and-So).

I'm glad I am not the only person who is thinking this girl is way nuts. There have been previous posts where she and I have butted heads and I thought there was the possibility that I was being a little overly sensitive (I was So-and-So).

I know exactly which girl you are referring too... she needs to be smacked upside the head with a dead fish... and hard. The only good thing I have, I know her name and won't hire her in the future. Simple as that.

I will also steer clear of the guy that asked about declawing dogs... he needs to be smacked with a dead fish too.

I know exactly which girl you are referring too... she needs to be smacked upside the head with a dead fish... and hard. The only good thing I have, I know her name and won't hire her in the future. Simple as that.

I will also steer clear of the guy that asked about declawing dogs... he needs to be smacked with a dead fish too.

You have a great plan! And what the hell with the declawing dogs thing? I didn't even know that was a thing.

Yuppers, I sure as heck respect techs and everything but having an uppity attitude about yourself, that's really going to turn everyone off.

You have a great plan! And what the hell with the declawing dogs thing? I didn't even know that was a thing.

Yeah, that questions was just beyond bizarre.

But it was this comment of his that really made me want to smack him across the head with a dead fish:

"I think its good to hear ideas from students."

In response to the girl asking about vet advice. No, no it is not good to hear from students. Especially pre-vet students. Heck, even vet students should be stating, "take your dog to the vet" and nothing more.

And this person:

"NO CANNED FOOD. The metallic taste is bad for her stomach. Wouldn't suggest using canned food. Take your normal dog food, turkey gravy, and half a cup of water and mix it in a blender,"

:wtf:

And this person:

"NO CANNED FOOD. The metallic taste is bad for her stomach. Wouldn't suggest using canned food. Take your normal dog food, turkey gravy, and half a cup of water and mix it in a blender,"

:wtf:
Yeah, the metallic taste in my soup always messes with my stomach

Yeah, the metallic taste in my soup always messes with my stomach

Must suck for you... :p

But seriously, her recommendation is from giving her dog canned food once and it "not going well" so therefore canned food = bad, due to metallic taste. Ugh.

But by all means give the dog some gravy, that is good.

Thanks for the info, @Minnerbelle :)

I think that the APVMA really is lacking in a lot of areas. While I was in school and just going to the symposium, I didn't think anything of it. But now.... Last year I thought of running for the position that runs the Facebook page simply to get the ball rolling on some common sense. But then I was like, "They'll never vote for you when you say that you're going to fact check them." And my parents ended up losing their jobs in January, so I had to contribute to the home income and couldn't afford to go any longer.

End rant about the APVMA Facebook page.

Never been to this Facebook page y'all are speaking of (my quota for idiotic statements about animal health is easily filled between my clients, sdn, and some of my staff members).

But you'd think as an applicant you'd know it would be a bad bad idea to post anything on social media with your identity exposed while you are applying. The chances of anything you say hurting you is probably much greater than it helping you in any way if an adcom member were to peruse the page.

Lol the amount of people on that page that are utterly clueless...it hurts. There are even practicing veterinarians giving horrendous advice on that page. We should invent a drinking game...take a shot every time someone asks the same question for the 500th time regarding the application process.
No offense to the current APVMA E-board, but they have dropped the ball. The previous E-board suddenly disappeared from that page as well. They were doing a good job of removing posts asking for medical advice, advertisements, etc. Although I will say that the president private-messaged me several times saying that I was being too argumentative when I was merely pointing out that a veterinary assistant has no business offering medical advice, that zoos don't beat their animals, etc. They don't moderate the way our mods do.

The pierced-nose girl was a favorite of mine.

Never been to this Facebook page y'all are speaking of (my quota for idiotic statements about animal health is easily filled between my clients, sdn, and some of my staff members).

But you'd think as an applicant you'd know it would be a bad bad idea to post anything on social media with your identity exposed while you are applying. The chances of anything you say hurting you is probably much greater than it helping you in any way if an adcom member were to peruse the page.
The thing is that there are schools that post on the APVMA page. The island schools seem to do so more frequently, but I've seen Ohio State pop in and utterly shut down (and very professionally so...it made it that much better) two girls who were speculating about the admissions process for the school and whatnot and basically freaking other applicants out.

The thing is that there are schools that post on the APVMA page. The island schools seem to do so more frequently, but I've seen Ohio State pop in and utterly shut down (and very professionally so...it made it that much better) two girls who were speculating about the admissions process for the school and whatnot and basically freaking other applicants out.
Yeah, esp if there are adcoms that do come on, very bad idea.

Huh. I totally missed that one. I wish I had seen it.

What I don't understand is, if she is so high in demand, makes more money than a recent grad, does so much without a vet supervising, etc, etc...why is she applying to vet school? :confused: some people just need to make themselves feel more special than they actually are!

Some people are too cruel for words. Anyone who reads the 'Pets' thread knows I euthanized my little guinea pig yesterday. Yesterday morning, my father recommended "just letting nature take its course" i.e. withdrawing all care and just watching her suffer until her organs completely shut down and she died. ignored. then he 'jokingly' offered up his ether from the garage. also ignored. obviously i did the kind and humane thing to end her suffering, and elected return of ashes. my mother offered to pick up the bill. tonight he pops his head in my room and after being all goodnight and such, he says "i know how you feel, but if you wake up tomorrow morning and decide that you don't really want her ashes and instead just want to bury her in the yard, it might not be too late. it's a lot of money to spend." wow, gee thanks. you really don't have an ounce of compassion in your lawyer's soul. i didn't ask you for money during all of this, not once. i didn't ask your advice or your opinion. i wrote him a check and left it on his deck, i'm sure this will start an argument in the future. guess what? you can direct all future advice seeking to your veterinarian, because unless you are paying my employer for my time and advice, we do not have a valid cet-client-patient relationship. screw you.

I'm sorry jmo that your dad's a douchecanoe. I'm glad you at least have your mom being supportive. It's hard enough to lose a pet, without those around you being so insensitive.

Apparently having ambitions and future academic goals is a bad thing to some employers. I suspect that I've lost out on two jobs I've interviewed for now because I'm applying to vet school and possible future admission would mean I might only be working with X employer until August of 2016.

Apparently having ambitions and future academic goals is a bad thing to some employers. I suspect that I've lost out on two jobs I've interviewed for now because I'm applying to vet school and possible future admission would mean I might only be working with X employer until August of 2016.
It is if it requires extensive training. For that reason, I had to commit 2 years for an awesome research job. Was totes worth it.