RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah the salary calculated wants your loan payment to be no greater than 8% of your income. ha. ha. ha...

Surprised it let you through, though, it required me to put something into all the fill in parts of the spreadsheet before going on, as I also tried to just skip it.
Can I just put "haha"s?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah the salary calculated wants your loan payment to be no greater than 8% of your income. ha. ha. ha...

Surprised it let you through, though, it required me to put something into all the fill in parts of the spreadsheet before going on, as I also tried to just skip it.

I might have made my bills like $1 then

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow tech at work....

I asked her to sign the euthanasia sympathy cards.
Her: "why?"
Me: "because some of them have been sitting here for a while and I'd like to mail them"
Her: "then mail them."
Me: "they still have a few open spots and it looks weird to send them half empty. Can you just sign them?"
Her: "ugh, I hate these things. They're so ridiculous and stupid. I don't even see the point. I don't even know these pets"
Me: "can you please just sign your name in a gap?"

Then she signs her name and throws them at me and goes "there, you happy now?"

Why is she throwing them at me and saying that a SYMPATHY card is stupid?! What the heck??

Reactions: 2 users
Fellow tech at work....

Me: "because some of them have been sitting here for a while and I'd like to mail them"
Me: "they still have a few open spots and it looks weird to send them half empty. Can you just sign them?"
Her: "ugh, I hate these things. They're so ridiculous and stupid. I don't even see the point. I don't even know these pets"

Why is she throwing them at me and saying that a SYMPATHY card is stupid?! What the heck??
:( The sympathy cards I got from clinics after my pets died made me feel like the staff there cared about my beloved friends. I still have them all. Trying to let someone know that you care about their grief is a nice thing to do, and is also pretty easy and doesn't take a lot of extra time.

When my cat died last year the clinic sent my mom a sympathy card and an impression of his paw print, and those things are both so important to me personally I can't even describe it. It really helped my own grieving process to get them.

:( The sympathy cards I got from clinics after my pets died made me feel like the staff there cared about my beloved friends. I still have them all. Trying to let someone know that you care about their grief is a nice thing to do, and is also pretty easy and doesn't take a lot of extra time.

When my cat died last year the clinic sent my mom a sympathy card and an impression of his paw print, and those things are both so important to me personally I can't even describe it. It really helped my own grieving process to get them.

Exactly! We do the paw prints too and I always take way longer than probably necessary to decorate them and make them special. If a dog has a name like Daisy, I'll make flowers that look like daisies out of the clay to put on it etc. I was so appalled that she actually said that to me. I still have the card from when we put my last kitty down too.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow tech at work....

She isn't acting professionally at all, but I do kind of understand her frustration. I hate signing sympathy cards when I didn't work with or know the animal at all, especially when I'm expected to write something sympathetic other than just my name. Did it all the time, but always sat with me a little bit wrong.

She isn't acting professionally at all, but I do kind of understand her frustration. I hate signing sympathy cards when I didn't work with or know the animal at all, especially when I'm expected to write something sympathetic other than just my name. Did it all the time, but always sat with me a little bit wrong.

I guess I feel like I don't have to know the pet. I understand the pain of losing one no matter who the pet is. I never write "fluffy was such a sweet dog" etc unless I know the pet, but I have no problem saying "I'm deeply sorry for your loss. You will be in our thoughts during this difficult time." I do sympathize for anyone who loses a pet, whether I know them or not, so I appreciate the cards.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand this as well. I know if I never worked on the animal I at the very least know what it's like to lose a pet and I'll usually write something wishing them well and hoping they are dealing with the loss well also.

I guess I feel like I don't have to know the pet. I understand the pain of losing one no matter who the pet is. I never write "fluffy was such a sweet dog" etc unless I know the pet, but I have no problem saying "I'm deeply sorry for your loss. You will be in our thoughts during this difficult time." Etc. I do sympathize for anyone who loses a pet, whether I know them or not.
Yup, and that's how I rationalize it and I usually write something similar. I deal with it fine, it just still rubs me ever so slightly the wrong way, especially when I'm handed a whole pile of sympathy cards to sign.

The part that rubs me wrong is that we all write nearly the same thing in every card. I do mean what I write, but I worry about a family having multiple pets passing away and seeing that what we write is nearly identical each time. I'd hate for them to think it is less heartfelt because of that.

Same. I'll sign them, but it's a little awkward when you hardly know the pet. And there are only so many ways to say the same thing, so you end up writing almost exactly what someone else did.

Fellow tech at work....

There's times that I don't know the pet, but it's never bothered me to sign. I know it means a lot to the owners when they get them. It's a shame that was her reaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want this summer cold or whatever I have going on to go away. The constant coughing is driving me insane and I'm worried I'm going to sublux/dislocate a rib again.

I want this summer cold or whatever I have going on to go away. The constant coughing is driving me insane and I'm worried I'm going to sublux/dislocate a rib again.
I feel like everyone and their mother is sick right now! My boyfriend is getting over the worst sore throat he has ever had, his roommate is sick with a URI, my mom was recently sick with a sore throat, one of my coworkers has a cold, and I woke up this morning with a sore throat/nausea/body aches/conjunctivitis. It sucks! Hope you feel better soon!

I left my glasses at my parent's house (100 miles away) and I really need them. This nasty conjunctivitis is probably only made worse by my contacts. Thankfully my parents agreed to meet us halfway tomorrow to hand them over and get lunch.

Friday I developed a sore throat and headache, and I'm pretty sure I had a fever, but I was pet sitting so I didn't have a thermometer. That night I felt like crap in general. The next day the headache was gone but I still had a minor sore throat but felt OK in general. Last night I hacked up a firm pale green, blood tinged wad of mucous, and I had two more of those this morning. Now I seem to be losing my voice too. I should really grab my stethoscope and try to listen to my lungs because they have a dull burning feeling and I have a weak cough. I don't know what this could be, but it sucks. Sorry to everyone else who isn't well right now too.

First round of house tours with a realtor ended up being more disappointing than we expected...at least my boyfriend got a dose of reality when he finally started realizing the homes never look as good in person as they do in the pictures (this is his first house hunting experience, whereas I've done it multiple times with my parents and recently my sister).

We toured my favorite, and it actually was as good inside as we hoped. It just needs a ton of work curb-appeal wise, and the squatter in the basement would have to leave...

ETA: Also wanted to vent here because I don't want to deal with the keyboard warriors on my FB (since I've seen far too many truly stupid, uninformed and idiotic posts relating to the Cinci Zoo): Zoo uses lethal action on a gorilla to save a child, receives backlash and the child "deserved to die." Zoo does not use lethal action when a keeper is fatally injured, members of the general public threaten to come kill the tiger and the zoo is terrible for not doing more to save her.

What happened to the keeper and the child is every zoo employee's worst nightmare. The fact that people are so casually calling the zoo employees thoughtless murderers is beyond infuriating. I wonder if we'll ever see the day where the people truly realize how devoted zoo staff are to the animals and how split seconds matter in these situations.

Last edited:
Very tangential rant, but I absolutely hate the "Regret A Vet" facebook page. It is filled with wall-to-wall garbage and it's so irritating (and, of course, written in CAPS LOCK). Every once in a while there are posts about veterinarians who legitimately seem to have done unethical and/or inhumane things, but they are surrounded by posts that are essentially about angry idiots who are mad at their veterinarians for dumb reasons.

:boom:

Very tangential rant, but I absolutely hate the "Regret A Vet" facebook page. It is filled with wall-to-wall garbage and it's so irritating (and, of course, written in CAPS LOCK). Every once in a while there are posts about veterinarians who legitimately seem to have done unethical and/or inhumane things, but they are surrounded by posts that are essentially about angry idiots who are mad at their veterinarians for dumb reasons.

Did you come across that page when you looked at the comments section of the article that was discussed in the "What makes a bad pre-vet" thread? That's how I found it! Hahah.

ETA: Also wanted to vent here because I don't want to deal with the keyboard warriors on my FB (since I've seen far too many truly stupid, uninformed and idiotic posts relating to the Cinci Zoo): Zoo uses lethal action on a gorilla to save a child, receives backlash and the child "deserved to die." Zoo does not use lethal action when a keeper is fatally injured, members of the general public threaten to come kill the tiger and the zoo is terrible for not doing more to save her.

What happened to the keeper and the child is every zoo employee's worst nightmare. The fact that people are so casually calling the zoo employees thoughtless murderers is beyond infuriating. I wonder if we'll ever see the day where the people truly realize how devoted zoo staff are to the animals and how split seconds matter in these situations.
That whole situation makes me so incredibly sad. I can't imagine what the zoo staff is going through. That kid's parents are goddamn lucky.

Several years ago a kid fell into the African painted dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo after his mom was holding him up on the barrier. Outcome was different there, and the reaction was totally different as well - people were blaming the zoo for not acting fast enough or for the way the exhibit was designed. I was at the zoo here yesterday and saw so many people balancing their kids on the exhibit barriers, I wanted to scream.

Did you come across that page when you looked at the comments section of the article that was discussed in the "What makes a bad pre-vet" thread? That's how I found it! Hahah.
I've actually had a few friends from the Phoenix area share posts from Regret A Vet about a lab that died after a spay at a local vet's office back in April, and they've been on my radar ever since. The Facebook page for the clinic was littered with so many angry comments calling them murderers that they stopped posting altogether for over a month.

Aggghhhh I wish you hadn't said this. Out of curiosity I went to take a look and now I'm fuming. There was one post about the "lies vets tell", and there was a comment from someone who clearly had worked in the field that explained some things and they wrote back and said "thanks for your opinion but I've done my research." Yeah I'm sure your research is equivalent to working in the field when half the things you said made 0 sense.

And there was another one that made me even more mad that cited the fact that vets are more likely to experience depression or other mental illness and how they are unfit to care for our pets.

Oh god, why did I just look up that page? The stupid... it burns. :boom:

That whole situation makes me so incredibly sad. I can't imagine what the zoo staff is going through. That kid's parents are goddamn lucky.

Several years ago a kid fell into the African painted dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo after his mom was holding him up on the barrier. Outcome was different there, and the reaction was totally different as well - people were blaming the zoo for not acting fast enough or for the way the exhibit was designed. I was at the zoo here yesterday and saw so many people balancing their kids on the exhibit barriers, I wanted to scream.
When I was on my zoo rotation, the preceptor gave us a good talk about zoo responsibility and that situation at the Pittsburgh Zoo came up (I'm assuming it's the same one, because I remember the mention of the painted dogs). He said that, essentially, the zoo staff had to shoot the dogs in order to cover their own butts and even then the lady turned around and threatened to sue them for negligence or something. Our preceptor was under the impression, and led us to believe that the case would have actually had merit and the zoo would have been found guilty. Such a shame that the zoo could be targeted for one person's ineptitude.

When I was on my zoo rotation, the preceptor gave us a good talk about zoo responsibility and that situation at the Pittsburgh Zoo came up (I'm assuming it's the same one, because I remember the mention of the painted dogs). He said that, essentially, the zoo staff had to shoot the dogs in order to cover their own butts and even then the lady turned around and threatened to sue them for negligence or something. Our preceptor was under the impression, and led us to believe that the case would have actually had merit and the zoo would have been found guilty. Such a shame that the zoo could be targeted for one person's ineptitude.
She did end up settling with the zoo privately. Apparently zoo employees brought safety concerns up numerous times regarding the platform the kid fell from, but no changes were made. That's just what I had read though, the media really doesn't do zoo controversy well lol.

The way I look at it is that the primary responsibility of any zoo is guest safety, hands down. Many, many, many exhibits in this country (and probably around the world) are outdated. I feel it's the zoo's unfortunate job to foresee and find ways to avoid guests climbing over barriers and entering/falling into exhibits, something that seems to be increasing lately. People will have unmanageable children, mental illnesses, idiot tendencies, etc. I can tell you right now that, if you wanted to, you could easily hop into the chimp and gorilla exhibits if you went off a path at my home zoo. The designated viewing areas have extremely tall window walls, though. Same with any of the bear, rhino, etc. exhibits. The constant battle for animal visibility while trying to keep things safe (but without iron bars, for example) puts a lot of pressure on zoos and you have to find a happy medium somehow. It's not a popular opinion, but I think the zoo made the right decision. Based on what my friend told me (she keeps down there) about what really happened, I would have come to the same conclusion had I been the one holding the gun.

99.999999999999999% of zoo guests will never find them selves in any sort of danger when they visit a zoo and would never dream of causing any problems. It's that negligible number that the zoo has to keep in mind when remodeling and building new exhibits. Definitely not saying the zoo was completely at fault for this, but based on the descriptions I read of what happened and what the 'barrier' was like, I can easily see the same thing happening at multiple zoos I've visited. Unfortunately, not every zoo has the money to surround their animals in 10 foot tall window walls, even though it could be the safest thing for both guests and the collection...

Also, side comment....I've never had any kids so maybe this is normal, but I find it interesting that this 4 year old was so adamant about jumping down 12 feet to join a gorilla that he actually did it. I feel that 4 is old enough to start recognizing the basics of 'safe' and 'not safe.' There could be details about this kid that we don't know, but based on witness stories, it just seems really weird to me. Apparently he was fighting his mom because he desperately wanted to get in that exhibit. I guess the mom might face charges for this, and I can't say I disagree with that.

Overall, it's seriously sad. It's hard enough for zoo staff to lose an animal for health reasons, but entirely different to lose one over something that really was completely avoidable.

Last edited:
One minor side note on that - it's great how everyone's blaming the mother but there's hardly a word of criticism for the father when apparently both parents were present.

I think they were able to call off most of the dogs (there were at least 10) and had to shoot one. In that case it happened so quickly I'm not sure if it even mattered. I remember the same thing PP mentioned about an employee (former employee?) coming forward to say they had voiced concerns about that observation deck, which helped the parents' case. It's hard to say whether or not that was true. Good to know that next time I do something stupid and get injured I can get some money out of it though. In any case the dogs were shipped elsewhere and that exhibit became a cheetah exhibit after the observation deck was removed. I remember people being pissed that it was being used at all even though it was several months later.

I think they were able to call off most of the dogs (there were at least 10) and had to shoot one. In that case it happened so quickly I'm not sure if it even mattered. I remember the same thing PP mentioned about an employee (former employee?) coming forward to say they had voiced concerns about that observation deck, which helped the parents' case. It's hard to say whether or not that was true. Good to know that next time I do something stupid and get injured I can get some money out of it though. In any case the dogs were shipped elsewhere and that exhibit became a cheetah exhibit after the observation deck was removed. I remember people being pissed that it was being used at all even though it was several months later.
How horrific, though. To see a little kid or your child mauled and killed, regardless of who is at fault for it. I can't imagine.

She did end up settling with the zoo privately. Apparently zoo employees brought safety concerns up numerous times regarding the platform the kid fell from, but no changes were made. That's just what I had read though, the media really doesn't do zoo controversy well lol.

The way I look at it is that the primary responsibility of any zoo is guest safety, hands down. Many, many, many exhibits in this country (and probably around the world) are outdated. I feel it's the zoo's unfortunate job to foresee and find ways to avoid guests climbing over barriers and entering/falling into exhibits, something that seems to be increasing lately. People will have unmanageable children, mental illnesses, idiot tendencies, etc. I can tell you right now that, if you wanted to, you could easily hop into the chimp and gorilla exhibits if you went off a path at my home zoo. The designated viewing areas have extremely tall window walls, though.

To me this is just what further drives the mentality of constantly blaming others for things that someone did wrong. Yes, I get the zoo is responsible for safe enclosures and I agree 100%. And as long as a fence isn't falling apart, there isn't some giant hole in a fence, someone can't simply trip and fall in and the animals are kept contained (can't escape), they are doing their job. If something is blatantly wrong with the enclosure or the enclosure's design, then the zoo should be responsible. You have to keep in mind that ANY zoo enclosure could be accessed by the public if someone really wanted to try hard enough to get in, that shouldn't make the zoo responsible for that person's stupidity. However, it is when you ignore posted rules/warnings/etc that gets people into trouble. If you are going to blatantly ignore rules then the fault should lie on your shoulders. That includes "going off the path" or placing a child on a barrier (come on, who is that stupid? Really. You don't place children on anything high that they could fall off of), or not watching a kid, or "having idiot tendencies"... Rules exist for a reason and if someone can not follow them, then they should pay the price, not the zoo. This mentality is also the same that keeps driving our lawsuit happy society. The belief that a zoo (or really any place of business) should be able to foresee every stupid thing a person/child might do and be able to prevent it. Or the mentality that they can just continue to ignore posted signs and not only have zero consequences for ignoring the signs but can actually get paid for ignoring such signs/rules. It drives me insane.

The above is exactly why AZ now has a stupid motorist law. People would drive around barricades and into flooded waters and then the city/state (Read: taxpayers) would have to fork over the money to rescue them from the flood waters. They finally got fed up with it and imposed a stupid motorist law. Now if you drive around barricades and get yourself stranded in flooded waters, you will be rescued but the financial responsibility is 100% your own. There is also a stupid hiker law now in AZ too. We have too many people going out in 100+ degree weather with little to no water to hike and end up needing to be rescued. So now they are financially responsible for their stupidity. And that is really what we need to strive towards as a society. A place in which people actually take responsibility for their actions. Do something stupid, like not watching your child, ignoring posted signs, going off a designated path, etc... then you should be charged and be held responsible for those actions. We need to stop blaming others for society's actions and we need to start holding people accountable for actually listening to god damn rules.

Reactions: 4 users
Not entirely a rant just a "holy crap holiday weekend on call"

Just called the local ER to give them a heads up on a patient headed their way.... And as soon as I said my name the girl laughed and said "oh no, not another one"

Yup. Sorry ER, you guys rock! One neuro case, two hemoabdomens, urethral blockage, DKA, snake bite, rectal bleeding. And that's just today. I'm so glad I don't do small animal ER.

Leaving tomorrow AM for my 9 week research gig and I'm feeling so sad that I'm not going to see my kitty for 2 whole months:(

Not entirely a rant just a "holy crap holiday weekend on call"

Just called the local ER to give them a heads up on a patient headed their way.... And as soon as I said my name the girl laughed and said "oh no, not another one"

Yup. Sorry ER, you guys rock! One neuro case, two hemoabdomens, urethral blockage, DKA, snake bite, rectal bleeding. And that's just today. I'm so glad I don't do small animal ER.

The clinic I shadow at was bombed. I ended up mopping and cleaning cages instead of shadowing cause they needed the help.

Since it was a holiday weekend, the ER where I intern is packed. The techs are running around trying to balance several patients at once, and we have a new(er) vet on so things are going pretty slowly. There is another intern and I trying not to get in the way. The big difference is I'm running around cleaning kennels, fetching supplies, and holding dogs to free up techs while the other girl is sitting on her butt texting in plain view of visiting owners :annoyed:. This goes on for at least four hours. Thanks for nothing, you can go now.

Grrr to random people who park in fdon't of your house, especially the sidewalk leading up to your house. It's even worse when there are literally no other cars around.

For f***'s sake, park in front of the house of whoever you are visiting or I'll be tempted to key your car for being stupid.

Going back to the gorilla, some of my coworkers are getting worked up on Facebook and keep arguing that the gorilla should've been tranquilized. I understand a lay person making that argument, but come on, guys, you've all seen first hand how long it can take to sedate an animal if you give something IM or SQ. Just last shift, we had a dog who stubbornly refused to go out and took two doses of dex and over half an hour to get sedate enough for the doctor to work on her. We should know better and not make judgments about how other animal care workers do their jobs if we don't know the specifics. I don't know why people don't extend that professional courtesy when they expect the same from others.

Going back to the gorilla, some of my coworkers are getting worked up on Facebook and keep arguing that the gorilla should've been tranquilized. I understand a lay person making that argument, but come on, guys, you've all seen first hand how long it can take to sedate an animal if you give something IM or SQ. Just last shift, we had a dog who stubbornly refused to go out and took two doses of dex and over half an hour to get sedate enough for the doctor to work on her. We should know better and not make judgments about how other animal care workers do their jobs if we don't know the specifics. I don't know why people don't extend that professional courtesy when they expect the same from others.
And what if they tanquilized him and in the time it took him to go down he attacked the child thinking he was the one responsible for the sudden stab and weird feelings?

And what if they tanquilized him and in the time it took him to go down he attacked the child thinking he was the one responsible for the sudden stab and weird feelings?
This has been my major sticking point. The keepers made what I think was the best decision for the situation. If they HAD used tranquilizers and the child had been harmed while the gorilla was going down, media would be singing a completely different tune.

It's irritating too when I see all of my Pre-Vet friends posting this BS on Facebook. If you want to work in zoo medicine (or veterinary medicine in general) you need to understand that it's probably not okay to leave people in significant danger regardless of the impact removing people from said danger has on the animal's health and welfare, no matter how distasteful that sounds. As much as I always wish for positive outcomes for animals in situations like these, human safety always takes precedent. This is the same principle behind why animals deemed dangerous are often euthanized - there is a public safety/health risk in that situation.

I am very sorry about what happened to this gorilla. However, his death does not make anyone associated with the Cincinnati Zoo into murderers.

It's irritating too when I see all of my Pre-Vet friends posting this BS on Facebook. If you want to work in zoo medicine (or veterinary medicine in general) you need to understand that it's probably not okay to leave people in significant danger regardless of the impact removing people from said danger has on the animal's health and welfare, no matter how distasteful that sounds. As much as I always wish for positive outcomes for animals in situations like these, human safety always takes precedent. This is the same principle behind why animals deemed dangerous are often euthanized - there is a public safety/health risk in that situation.

I am very sorry about what happened to this gorilla. However, his death does not make anyone associated with the Cincinnati Zoo into murderers.

I agree. Human safety comes first, even when humans put themselves in bad situations. It's terribly sad that this situation played out the way it did, but I agree with everyone saying that if they had tranquilized, and the child had been seriously maimed or killed in the interim, those staff members' heads would be on platters anyway, and they would've had that child's suffering on their conscience, too.

I'm just frustrated with people who should know better than to Monday morning quarterback this sort of thing. One coworker is now arguing that there are fast acting tranquilizers they could've used. She's only ever worked in small animal medicine. With all the gorillas we see, no wonder she's an expert on gorilla sedation. I'm sure the keepers were just too stupid to realize they could've used a fast acting tranquilizer. :rolleyes:

I have a presentation to give next week. Decided to procrastinate working on it by starting to go through my belongings and get rid of things/pack, since I move in about 3 weeks. Turns out, packing sucks basically as much as working on an hour-long presentation and I haven't gotten much of either task accomplished.

They are so unpredictable anyway. The video they released shows the gorilla quickly dragging the kid. It's a crappy situation for everyone involved, but they absolutely did the right thing.
Things I wish weren't in zoos:
apes
elephants
balloons

(i'm terrified of balloons)
You do realize that by being in zoos, those animals are more accessible and conservation efforts more likely to be supported by the public, right?

The zoo that I worked in did everything in their power to make sure that elephants and apes were happy and healthy - they had as much enrichment as possible and if there were any question of safety or health, they weren't put into public enclosures.

Reactions: 6 users
It's human nature to want to place blame. It's just like playing hot potato with something that's just an all around tragedy. Kids do crazy things, and sometimes in the wrong place. Things are unpreventable and this was something like the perfect storm of freak events. I hope the family is getting peace right now. I heard the boy is seriously injured.

Reactions: 3 users
They are so unpredictable anyway. The video they released shows the gorilla quickly dragging the kid. It's a crappy situation for everyone involved, but they absolutely did the right thing.

You do realize that by being in zoos, those animals are more accessible and conservation efforts more likely to be supported by the public, right?

The zoo that I worked in did everything in their power to make sure that elephants and apes were happy and healthy - they had as much enrichment as possible and if there were any question of safety or health, they weren't put into public enclosures.
Yes. I worked with apes. To me, it's like Ota Benga at the Bronx Zoo all over again. I realize my view is an extreme one, and I don't expect anyone else to support it.

I wish people would stop asking me when my boyfriend and I are going to have children (we don't want any kids- ever!). They also ask when we're getting married, but ask about kids more often which doesn't make sense to me. It's really none of their business.

I've just seen a lot that can come from understanding their behavior, banking genetics, etc. For endangered species, that might be key to their survival.

Bombed as in lots of cases.

Ha, well now I feel like an idiot. In my defense though, I don't think I've ever heard bombed used in that way.... And the lab I use to work at had an attempted bombing a few years before I started there so I'm just paranoid, and I had just woken up from a nap haha

But it now makes so much more sense why you were so casual about it haha

Don't mind me... :p

Zoos are also sometimes involved in research that helps improve the lives of humans and other animals. I realized this when blackfish came out and I was working with my undergrad advisor who has done tons of research at sea world. He had at one time worked with Lori Marino, who now campaigns against sea world. Lori was singing a different tune earlier in her career when she needed sea world to help her conduct her research. I've seen first hand the good that has come out of his research and it wouldn't have been possible using cetacean in the wild. Some of his research has also directly helped wild cetaceans and aided in their conservation.