RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Having nervous breakdowns and second guessing dropping your seat the month before vet school starts is fun. Only the most fun.
We're here for you! You've earned your seat, remember that. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Having nervous breakdowns and second guessing dropping your seat the month before vet school starts is fun. Only the most fun.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you having a panic attack about your spot? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Sadly, it's mostly debt related. I've run out of reasons to justify just not trying for my IS again this year.
I'm so sorry, Rocky. :( It's probably not any consolation, but know that you're certainly not alone. Even though I qualify for IS tuition at my vet school, I still worry about how deep a hole I'm digging for myself financially... pretty much every single day. It probably wouldn't cause me as much anxiety if I didn't have the undergrad debt on top of that. And to think that, if I had only been accepted to Midwestern (and it definitely seems like a fine school, don't get me wrong), or really any school where I would be paying OOS, then I would have approached $250-350k of debt with vet school + undergrad combined. If that were going to be the case, I don't think I would have taken the plunge.

Although I'm basically following the cheapest available route for me, it still makes me hesitate. I've seriously considered giving up my spot once or twice in the middle of my own panic attacks. And it makes me reconsider if I really "want it enough" to go through with it, or even if I actually deserve my seat. It sucks.

We're here for you. Feel free to shoot me a PM either here or on Facebook if you need someone to vent to. This process is difficult enough without having nervous breakdowns about the debt.

Just know that you are definitely not the only one. Take comfort in that, at least.

Reactions: 1 users
I've run out of reasons to justify just not trying for my IS again this year.

What about the whole, "No spot at your IS is guaranteed and you may never be accepted there"? Trust me, I have quite literally been there (as have others) and while the debt sucks, if you already have a spot, take it and run.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stopped at a red light to make a right on red. Light turned green. Pulled forward about two feet before realizing there was a pedestrian waiting to cross the crosswalk on the street I was turning onto. Stopped (before even slightly starting the turn, I was at least ten feet from the cross walk) and waited for them.....

To the pedestrian who just irrationally screamed at me and told me to go **** myself- I hope your day gets better, but next time, if you could refrain from walking ten feet out of your way and spitting on my nearly brand new car when I did absolutely nothing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

What about the whole, "No spot at your IS is guaranteed and you may never be accepted there"? Trust me, I have quite literally been there (as have others) and while the debt sucks, if you already have a spot, take it and run.
This. I'm going to end up with over $250k in debt before interest, but after applying a third time to my IS and having my app disqualified for something largely out of my control, I've accepted that going to my IS school just wasn't meant to be. If that had happened my first or second cycle, maybe I would have applied again just IS, but after three times I was/am so emotionally done with applying. If I hadn't been accepted anywhere for c/o 2020 I was considering going into teaching. I very nearly gave up on the application cycle when I realized it would be OOS or nothing, but I'm very glad I didn't. I've put so much time, effort and money into this goal already.

Also I'm sorry for your loss @vetmedhead. :(

My astoundingly responsible father apparently hasn't filed taxes for himself or my grandmother for three years. On top of that, no one can find her life insurance paperwork, and knowing my dad's personal history with his own life insurance policies, I will be astounded if they find everything and find that the policy has still been paid for. My family has had to put together a team of other people (two of my aunts, an uncle, and two cousins, + all their associated in-laws) to sort all of the things he's mucked up over the years by not giving a crap.

With all of this + the fact that I'm pretty sure Grandma was in reasonable debt when she died, I'm not sure my dad's side of the family will be able to keep her house, which means my dad and sister will likely be homeless (though I'm sure he's counting on the fact that a family member will surely put him up if that happens).

My dad is a hoarder and has pretty much no concerns aside from getting other people to take care of him. He is astonishingly allergic to responsibility and almost everything he does is because someone else had to force him to do it. Every time I think he's disappointed me as much as he ever will, he finds a new and impressive way to do it.

I'm also frustrated because I can't make it to my grandma's funeral. :( I wish somebody would just go back in time and fix this.

My astoundingly responsible father apparently hasn't filed taxes for himself or my grandmother for three years. On top of that, no one can find her life insurance paperwork, and knowing my dad's personal history with his own life insurance policies, I will be astounded if they find everything and find that the policy has still been paid for. My family has had to put together a team of other people (two of my aunts, an uncle, and two cousins, + all their associated in-laws) to sort all of the things he's mucked up over the years by not giving a crap.

With all of this + the fact that I'm pretty sure Grandma was in reasonable debt when she died, I'm not sure my dad's side of the family will be able to keep her house, which means my dad and sister will likely be homeless (though I'm sure he's counting on the fact that a family member will surely put him up if that happens).

My dad is a hoarder and has pretty much no concerns aside from getting other people to take care of him. He is astonishingly allergic to responsibility and almost everything he does is because someone else had to force him to do it. Every time I think he's disappointed me as much as he ever will, he finds a new and impressive way to do it.

I'm also frustrated because I can't make it to my grandma's funeral. :( I wish somebody would just go back in time and fix this.
vmh I am so so sorry you are dealing with all of this. I can't even imagine all of that on top of losing a loved one. I totally understand why you are upset about missing the funeral. My entire family was at my grandfather's wake. Everyone but me. I was placed on a rotation that I didn't sign up for and it made it impossible to travel. Try to remember the things I try to remind myself. Our grandparents are so very proud of us. And they would understand because they loved us very much. If you need anything please let me know.

My a/c broke, and we're expecting high 80's this weekend. I like the heat, but I do like to be able to escape it and head inside. I wouldn't be so peeved if it didn't happen right before my surgery tomorrow. Supposedly my dressing is like 4 inches thick. The good thing is that we have a basement that feels incredible right now and I already moved my rabbit (while I have two arms) because he was starting to get uncomfortable.

My a/c broke, and we're expecting high 80's this weekend. I like the heat, but I do like to be able to escape it and head inside. I wouldn't be so peeved if it didn't happen right before my surgery tomorrow. Supposedly my dressing is like 4 inches thick. The good thing is that we have a basement that feels incredible right now and I already moved my rabbit (while I have two arms) because he was starting to get uncomfortable.

I hope the surgery goes well tomorrow, and you have a speedy recovery! :) I think you mentioned that at your last visit the surgeon thought it would be a quicker recovery than previously thought?

When my friend had his shoulder surgery they sent him home with some kind of ice/cold air blowing machine, your doctor giving you anything like that? I know he was always freezing with it on

Because there's nowhere in my real life I can vent about this...

I have this bad habit of acquiring horses. Only one at a time, and I never pay for them. I have good friends that let me use a stall and only pay for feed so the housing is not all that expensive for me. My first horse was given to me by a good friend, he was amazing, and he never should have died but he had some random problem with his liver that we never managed to fix in spite of much vet bills. My second horse I took from someone I thought I could trust, but when I got her instead of the healthy horse I had known and was told she still was, I got a bag of bones. Couldn't fix her in spite of much money spent on veterinary bills, put her down.

So I was in the market for a project horse, just spend a couple thousand, have something decent to ride around the pasture on for the next 18 months and then sell it if I get into vet school. So why did I fall prey to the pleas of my best friend (<- there is the problem, it's the person who was pleading) to take a horse from her barn with a suspensory injury and give him more time off to see if he can become sound? Why would I do that? I said "nothing sick, nothing lame, nothing a rescue." And I signed a bill of sale for a lame horse once again. And I spent money on another lameness exam/ultrasound to see what we're looking at. But I work at the clinic so it's not as big an expense this time.

So clearly I have a problem. A mental problem. One that involves extremely large, expensive animals. One that will only get worse once I am a vet, I'm sure.

I have this bad habit of acquiring horses. Only one at a time, and I never pay for them. I have good friends that let me use a stall and only pay for feed so the housing is not all that expensive for me. My first horse was given to me by a good friend, he was amazing, and he never should have died but he had some random problem with his liver that we never managed to fix in spite of much vet bills. My second horse I took from someone I thought I could trust, but when I got her instead of the healthy horse I had known and was told she still was, I got a bag of bones. Couldn't fix her in spite of much money spent on veterinary bills, put her down.

So I was in the market for a project horse, just spend a couple thousand, have something decent to ride around the pasture on for the next 18 months and then sell it if I get into vet school. So why did I fall prey to the pleas of my best friend (<- there is the problem, it's the person who was pleading) to take a horse from her barn with a suspensory injury and give him more time off to see if he can become sound? Why would I do that? I said "nothing sick, nothing lame, nothing a rescue." And I signed a bill of sale for a lame horse once again. And I spent money on another lameness exam/ultrasound to see what we're looking at. But I work at the clinic so it's not as big an expense this time.

So clearly I have a problem. A mental problem. One that involves extremely large, expensive animals. One that will only get worse once I am a vet, I'm sure.
Because you're in vet med. We're built that way lol

I don't acquire them in quite the same way, but I do seem to acquire them. I've had four horses all throughout vet school... it's been difficult to put my foot down and say "No more!" the last few years.

It's not like I'm out there with some sort of "SAVE THEM ALL!" flag being flown. I don't attend auctions or volunteer at rescues. But they find me hiding under my rock and say "This one is a good jumper if you can get him sound. Also he doesn't deserve to be fed to lions just yet, but his date with that destiny is next week. And there's another person who's going to look at him who will probably fall in love so you won't even have to take him." and I say "Fine, if it's me or the lions then drop him off at the clinic."

And apparently it was me or the lions. But I can give him some more rest time and see what happens.

It always leads to a bank account of $0 and a sad heart but for some reason I do it anyway, even when I know better.

Reactions: 1 user
It always leads to a bank account of $0 and a sad heart but for some reason I do it anyway, even when I know better.

If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone.

In the last 4 years my husband and I have taken a 10 year old obese cat that was later diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, a 16 year old cat that had some really weird respiratory thing (never figured out what it was), a 4 year old cat that had deformed eyeballs and skin issues that turned out to also have CHF, and a 4 year old cat that blocked 3 times and needed PU surgery. Somehow we also ended up with a 10 year old hyperthyroid kinda weird cat (though not a huge deal medically).

We also ended up with several funky fosters - a kitten with ringworm and a broken pelvis, another kitten that needed serious socialization, and an entire litter of kittens that we attempted to socialize (they're adults now and 2 of the 4 are boxdowns).

We consider ourselves to be more dog- than cat-people, yet we seem to be kitty magnets :rolleyes:

What does this mean?

Evil cats that can't be examined or have treatments done without being sedated.

They both went on to be adopted though and live happily as indoor kitties. But the loving is very much on their own terms :)

Fearful or fractious cats that can't be examined or have treatments done without being sedated.

Fixed this for you ;) Big pet peeve of mine.

Reactions: 3 users
Fixed this for you ;) Big pet peeve of mine.
I love cats but idk, sometimes you get one that just seems to be demon possessed :laugh:

Kidding, of course. We have had two patients in the past few months (one today) that were perfectly friendly and without warning or (apparent) reason turned vicious. And then would go right back to being affectionate and wanting attention. Those are the ones that end up being "evil" in my head, mostly because I don't have an explanation for the behavior.

If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone.

In the last 4 years my husband and I have taken a 10 year old obese cat that was later diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, a 16 year old cat that had some really weird respiratory thing (never figured out what it was), a 4 year old cat that had deformed eyeballs and skin issues that turned out to also have CHF, and a 4 year old cat that blocked 3 times and needed PU surgery. Somehow we also ended up with a 10 year old hyperthyroid kinda weird cat (though not a huge deal medically).

We also ended up with several funky fosters - a kitten with ringworm and a broken pelvis, another kitten that needed serious socialization, and an entire litter of kittens that we attempted to socialize (they're adults now and 2 of the 4 are boxdowns).

We consider ourselves to be more dog- than cat-people, yet we seem to be kitty magnets :rolleyes:
I swear the hand raised kittens are more likely to be booger butts. Like they don't learn bite inhibition etc or whatever from mom. (I'm sure there's a cat behaviorist somewhere that'll be like Abs you don't know wtf you're talking about)

In other news, we've had a few very insane clients lately...we sent one guy with complete medical records in a folder and x-rays on a CD to take with his dog to the ER. Somewhere in the 5 minute drive there they must have vanished because the next morning we got a call from the ER that they didn't have the records and the owner was pissed at them and us because of it. Of course the owner never directly confronted us, nor came back demanding the records we apparently hadn't given him. Which says a lot I think.

And another client called my fave doc a ***** and said he deserved to lose his license because of his recommendations for treating her recently adopted dog who still had microfilaria in his blood after immiticide treatment at the shelter. Just because her "vet friend" disagreed. Nevermind that this doc follows American heartworm society recommendations to a t and has treated 10 heartworm positive dogs in the past 4 months...clearly he's an idiot and doesn't know what he's doing :rolleyes:

Once I was giving something SQ and my syringe backfired on me. Stuff got in my eye, and since it was thick, it wouldn't come off of my contact. I had to take it out and walk around like a pirate for the rest of the shift :laugh:

I did this with DKT. Luckily it didn't hit my eye but at the time I wasn't entirely convinced it didn't. I was just told to sit down if I started feeling odd and ride it out.

I swear the hand raised kittens are more likely to be booger butts. Like they don't learn bite inhibition etc or whatever from mom. (I'm sure there's a cat behaviorist somewhere that'll be like Abs you don't know wtf you're talking about)
The behaviourist at my school says this is exactly the case! Only reason it came up is because I had a case for a behaviour consult where the cat being hand raised was a pertinent part of the history.

For sure. BUT the most 'fearful or fractious' kitten went from hiding from me or hissing/swatting on day 0 to allowing me to pet him IF he solicited it by day 160. I think the only reason he got adopted is because he's a gorgeous flame point but I dunno, his family sure seems to love him a lot! He'll never be a lap cat but accepts pets on his terms and loves playing with string toys.

So I feel like my life has been two steps forward, three steps back lately. I naively thought my parents were out of the woods, but apparently my father went to an orthropedic surgeon today, and they basically told him that due to his circumstances, if he undergoes surgery to fix his arm, he has a 50% chance dying on the table due to a blood clot. 50%... that's so high and it's all I can think about :(

I hope the surgery goes well tomorrow, and you have a speedy recovery! :) I think you mentioned that at your last visit the surgeon thought it would be a quicker recovery than previously thought?
Thank you!! Two weeks in a sling instead of 6. He didn't find anything other than a non-union of my acromion, so he fixed up what he could. Ended up going home with a nerve block because the pain was bad, but I'm chillin at home now!
When my friend had his shoulder surgery they sent him home with some kind of ice/cold air blowing machine, your doctor giving you anything like that? I know he was always freezing with it on
I wish, that sounds amazing!! My entire family is hanging out in the basement haha.

So I feel like my life has been two steps forward, three steps back lately. I naively thought my parents were out of the woods, but apparently my father went to an orthropedic surgeon today, and they basically told him that due to his circumstances, if he undergoes surgery to fix his arm, he has a 50% chance dying on the table due to a blood clot. 50%... that's so high and it's all I can think about :(
Everything about this situation sucks. *hugs*

Oh, man. That's terrible... I couldn't even imagine how you and your family must feel right now. I'm so, so sorry, Ash. I really, sincerely hope that things work out and your parents can get back to recovering.

:(

I'm so sorry, Ash.

:( Sorry that times are rough Ash. Good thoughts and prayers heading your way.

I'm so sorry Ash :(

Thank you!! Two weeks in a sling instead of 6. He didn't find anything other than a non-union of my acromion, so he fixed up what he could. Ended up going home with a nerve block because the pain was bad, but I'm chillin at home now!

Glad to hear it's not as long as originally thought! Hope your recovery goes well :)