RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
13 lectures of Swine this week........ :help:

Reactions: 1 user
Our "swine core" was done as an all day x one week course.

On the one hand, I wanted to kill myself that week. On the other I was glad it was just thrown at us in one week and then done.
They did pretty much the same here. Took out small animal and equine (keeping ortho and surgery), and filled them with swine. I'm sure I will have the same opinion as you and will appreciate only one week of swine after this week is over with.

She had others ranging in size from golf ball to softball in addition to the big one. Poor thing couldn't walk or lay down. We EU'd her on intake.
Seems like it was for the best. I don't understand how or why people let things get that bad.

Dog was surrendered to us today that had a mammary tumor the size of a basketball. :(
Oh wow, poor dog.

Seems like it was for the best. I don't understand how or why people let things get that bad.
We had a dog come at school in for a scheduled routine appointment, but you could hear him trying to breath down the hall from the front desk. The student on the appointment made a good call and walked him to the ER because he was clearly having an extremely difficult time breathing and was cyanotic. Owners were just sitting out in the waiting room with him, didn't seem concerned. Carotid body tumor the size of my fist. Cool case since you don't see those often, but it was sad to see that the dog had gotten as bad as he was. I can't imagine fighting for a single breath being your day to day for a while like that.

Oh wow, poor dog.

We had a dog come at school in for a scheduled routine appointment, but you could hear him trying to breath down the hall from the front desk. The student on the appointment made a good call and walked him to the ER because he was clearly having an extremely difficult time breathing and was cyanotic. Owners were just sitting out in the waiting room with him, didn't seem concerned. Carotid body tumor the size of my fist. Cool case since you don't see those often, but it was sad to see that the dog had gotten as bad as he was. I can't imagine fighting for a single breath being your day to day for a while like that.
We had a decrepit dog come in yesterday for "worms". Couldn't walk, severely underweight, wanted to be aggressive but didn't have the energy, every once in a while tried to hack up a lung. Owners ended up taking it home having done absolutely nothing for it. Gotta love those free exam coupons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, poor dog.

We definitely tend to receive animals that people waited too long to treat/never treated. Sometimes they don't care, sometimes they have no money to care for the animal but are too attached to relinquish them until it's obvious that there's no other option. Most often it's either untreated cancer or diseases that are much more common in unaltered animals. It's very unfortunate to see and one of the reasons I really appreciate free/low cost spay/neuter services and low cost wellness care programs. For many people these programs aren't the difference between expensive and cheap veterinary care, they are the difference between some and no veterinary care.

For many of the animals that come through our doors, it will be the first and last time they receive veterinary attention, so we try to make it count. Unfortunate, but also one of the reasons why client/public education is so important.

We had a decrepit dog come in yesterday for "worms". Couldn't walk, severely underweight, wanted to be aggressive but didn't have the energy, every once in a while tried to hack up a lung. Owners ended up taking it home having done absolutely nothing for it. Gotta love those free exam coupons.
Worms are nasty! I never truly appreciated their impact until a necropsy where the lungs were full of lesions from migrating intestinal worms. Ugh.

Worms are nasty! I never truly appreciated their impact until a necropsy where the lungs were full of lesions from migrating intestinal worms. Ugh.
Yeah. She very well may have had worms of some kind. But they didn't let us do any diagnostics so we'll never know.

I mean, even the normally 'good' clients that come in when their dog has been vomiting up everything for a month or has had trouble breathing/has been laterally recumbent for a week get me mad when they rush in at the last possible minute as an emergency. The dog from the former example died en route (she ended up trying to be a part of the Beneful lawsuit but our post mortem showed no related symptoms, just severe pancreatitis), the dog from the latter collapsed and died (quite dramatically at that..I'll never forget it) within minutes of being stretchered through the door. Both clients were willing to pay for whatever it took to save them, but they just waited too darn long even if the best option would have been a peaceful euthanasia. It's one thing if you don't catch the symptoms, that happens and some animals are good at hiding them. It's another thing entirely to see your dog in really bad shape and not to anything until there's only minutes left.

I spent too much time outside at the pool all day. Now I'm sunsick and grouchy and I have packing to start. Ahhh, the fun of trying to fit a fully-developed tan and other summer activities into the less than 2 weeks of summer I have left... Also, where is my training pay???

My mom's ejection fraction has not improved at all, even with having meds on board and several months of therapy under her belt...so the doc says a pacemaker is the next step. :(

Of course, my mom is most concerned with the fact that there could be a bulge in her chest....

My mom's ejection fraction has not improved at all, even with having meds on board and several months of therapy under her belt...so the doc says a pacemaker is the next step. :(

Of course, my mom is most concerned with the fact that there could be a bulge in her chest....

:(

I had a friend get a pacemaker at 13. I don't remember her having a bulge. Today you would never be able to tell she had one. She was able to stay active in dance and cheer. Hoping your mom has a similar experience.

I had a friend get a pacemaker at 13. I don't remember her having a bulge. Today you would never be able to tell she had one. She was able to stay active in dance and cheer. Hoping your mom has a similar experience.
I mean her experience with a pacemaker is her uncle who got one maybe 40 years ago...I can only imagine things have gotten smaller and smarter since then. It's kind of funny to watch how stubborn she's being because I can point out that she complains about our grandpa/her father being hard to deal with (he's got dementia, his own heart problems, and problems from his most recent severe stroke). Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Coworker openly trash talking in the most crowded, well-traveled area of the treatment room was a bit offended and taken aback that I heard her trash talking and (gently, but directly) called her out on it because some of it involved me. I'm sorry. I didn't realize the middle of the freaking treatment room at the busiest time of the day was a place for loud "private" conversations with 3 other people. If you don't want people eavesdropping on your trash talk, how about you don't sit right in the area everyone walks back and forth through, right at the computer station we all use, and how about you maybe keep your voice down? If you're going to gossip and trash talk, at least be quiet and discreet about it, FFS. Between that and all the other nightmares of the past two weeks, I'm officially counting down the days until I can GTFO of there.

Reactions: 1 users
So we were treating a ~month old puppy for parvo and it wasn't getting any better after two days of observation (but it wasn't getting any worse). So last night, we got the owner's permission to send it to an overnight clinic for 24 hour supervision.

So this morning, we get a call saying that the puppy had a "poor prognosis" and they convinced the owner to euthanize- even though the owners were prepared to fight and do whatever for this puppy. :( that poor guy had a serious chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So we were treating a ~month old puppy for parvo and it wasn't getting any better after two days of observation (but it wasn't getting any worse). So last night, we got the owner's permission to send it to an overnight clinic for 24 hour supervision.

So this morning, we get a call saying that the puppy had a "poor prognosis" and they convinced the owner to euthanize- even though the owners were prepared to fight and do whatever for this puppy. :( that poor guy had a serious chance.

Is this somehow worse than right side cryptorchids?
Right side cryptorchids suck too. This week, though, all of our left side cryptorchids have been huge hot messes with very weird anatomy of the undescended testicle (and other issues that were not apparent until the vet opened the abdomen to retrieve the testicle). Very strange. We've been having a string of these sorts of issues in cryptorchids in our area for a while now, and for some reason the dogs with problems are always left side cryptorchids.

Our right side cryptorchids are usually less difficult and their testicles are generally normal, just not completely descended.

Anyway, we've had a ton of lefties this week and they've all been strange, hence the rant.

I hope this doesn't turn into a real rant...this evening I found a package of unopened, fully cooked turkey bacon in my fridge with a use by date of April. So I cooked it and since it didn't smell weird or seem suspicious, I ate it. I have no idea what possessed me to do that, a younger version of me would die to hear that I did that. Part of me is a little horrified and another part of me is a little horrified that I don't care. I just...there are no words. Exhaustion and poverty change you people.

Reactions: 2 users
Last week I got a new car (the good part!), but today while getting out of it I shut my thumb in the door. It HURT (to put it mildly), and I was going to my mom's workplace for a dental where they didn't have anything in the way of ice, so I couldn't do much but ride it out. There's a black mark and discoloration under the nail where it hit on top, and on the underside the thumbtip itself is pretty swollen an hard, so i can't really use it for anything right now...luckily it's my non dominant hand at least. This had to happen right before internship! I hope the pain and swelling subsides enough by monday, if the mark gets ugly there's always nail polish :p

I hope this doesn't turn into a real rant...this evening I found a package of unopened, fully cooked turkey bacon in my fridge with a use by date of April. So I cooked it and since it didn't smell weird or seem suspicious, I ate it. I have no idea what possessed me to do that, a younger version of me would die to hear that I did that. Part of me is a little horrified and another part of me is a little horrified that I don't care. I just...there are no words. Exhaustion and poverty change you people.

I feel like I've done this...maybe not with turkey bacon but with other things that would totally be questionable. Even some stuff that is like a 1 year past (boxed mashed potatoes) . Haven't died yet, but there is always that brief moment of panic.

Boxed mashed potatoes go bad?

I didn't notice that they go bad. But then again, we were raised where if a little bit of mold was growing on a block of cheese, you just cut that piece off and use the rest. Still alive. Never got sick from it.... So I may not be the best at "expiration" dates.

Reactions: 7 users
I've seen things as silly as hand soap have an expiration date. If it's dried or canned, I take it as a suggestion/best by date rather than a true expiration. I mean some of the canned stuff out there can last years past the expiration date we're given.
I didn't notice that they go bad. But then again, we were raised where if a little bit of mold was growing on a block of cheese, you just cut that piece off and use the rest. Still alive. Never got sick from it.... So I may not be the best at "expiration" dates.
Same. Moldy bread? The offending piece and any neighbor it was touching get tossed. I think we drew the line at anything liquidy like jelly, yogurt, whatever. I mean really, if you see mold on the bread/cheese, it's not isolated to that one area...but hey, I'm not about to toss $4 worth of sharp cheddar.

Last week I got a new car (the good part!), but today while getting out of it I shut my thumb in the door. It HURT (to put it mildly), and I was going to my mom's workplace for a dental where they didn't have anything in the way of ice, so I couldn't do much but ride it out. There's a black mark and discoloration under the nail where it hit on top, and on the underside the thumbtip itself is pretty swollen an hard, so i can't really use it for anything right now...luckily it's my non dominant hand at least. This had to happen right before internship! I hope the pain and swelling subsides enough by monday, if the mark gets ugly there's always nail polish :p

I got bit by a dog on my thumb back in January (the day before I left for my Missouri interview too....) and my entire nail was purple. It's just now finally growing out to where I could cut the last of the purple off. It seriously took forever.

Same here. Usually cut the moldy part off of the harder cheeses like cheddar, and it's never been an issue. I've often eaten stuff past the "use by" date if it still looked alright and passed the sniff test. Calling it an "expiration" date is right - all of those use by, sell by, and best by dates are voluntary and decided by the seller/manufacturer. They usually refer to the shelf life of the product at its highest quality, so I usually ignore them. Have definitely eaten stuff from the pantry that's over a year old. My Trader Joe's cookie butter got shoved to the back of the shelf for over a year, and when I found it the other day, it was fine. I have a pack of tamarind concentrate that's 2 years old, and it seriously tastes no different than it did when I first opened it. Honestly, the only thing I'm especially careful with is any kind of raw meat, though we usually just throw it in the freezer right away. Cured meats will keep longer. Two months is stretching it, but if it passes the sniff test, what the hell.

I got bit by a dog on my thumb back in January (the day before I left for my Missouri interview too....) and my entire nail was purple. It's just now finally growing out to where I could cut the last of the purple off. It seriously took forever.
Ah, that sorta happened to me too! My family went on a disney trip 3 years back and on one of the days I made the mistake of wearing new converse shoes I hadn't broken in yet. My big toe HURT by the end of that day, but I didn't pay it much thought until right after the trip, whenever I got back to school. I removed nail polish to find a huge black blood spot under the nail. It really does take forever to grow out...from beginning of august until some time in spring semester.

Luckily my thumb is looking like it'll just have some purplish bruising, not super visible black like the toenail was, so i may not need to break out the polish after all. Once the pain/swelling goes away I'll be good!

We didn't get the house :( The market is so crazy right now, that the other over was over listing price. I was surprised since the house pretty clearly needed work (there was some obvious venting issues in the attic and other things). Back to the listings, I guess.

Sorry, pinkpuppy. :( House hunting can be exhausting and stressful, and it's so disappointing when you don't get it. On the bright side, at least you're not overpaying for a place that needs a lot of work like the people who did end up getting the house. I hope you come across an even better place soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, pinkpuppy. :( House hunting can be exhausting and stressful, and it's so disappointing when you don't get it. On the bright side, at least you're not overpaying for a place that needs a lot of work like the people who did end up getting the house. I hope you come across an even better place soon.
Thanks so much. We're under a lot of pressure right now because we really wanted to at least find the house (if not move in) before I head back to school. If it doesn't happen this summer, it doesn't. The only issue is that if we're going to have to over-ask to get a house, our budget needs to drop by like $20k. Meaning significantly smaller/outdated houses or houses that just need to be gutted if we ever hope to resell it and break even. Gahhhh. Metro Detroit is a weird balance of extremely wealthy (like, really really wealthy) areas and the exact opposite. In the middle of that, you have the 'just okay' homes that people are offering $10k over for. geez.

It had an expiration date listed because there apparently is a milk product in them. Nothing happened when I ate them . I'm one that will take my chances and just stop eating it if it tastes bad or looks/smells uber funky when opened. I'm also another one that just cuts off the mold parts of the cheese/bread and eats the rest.

Boxed pancake mix definitely goes bad btw.

Tried that one out and was very disappointed (particularly since I wasted my blueberries)

But I used baking powder that was 15 years past the expiration date (found it in my grandma's house and expired before I was born) to make pancakes from scratch and those were fine :) lol

Thanks so much. We're under a lot of pressure right now because we really wanted to at least find the house (if not move in) before I head back to school. If it doesn't happen this summer, it doesn't. The only issue is that if we're going to have to over-ask to get a house, our budget needs to drop by like $20k. Meaning significantly smaller/outdated houses or houses that just need to be gutted if we ever hope to resell it and break even. Gahhhh. Metro Detroit is a weird balance of extremely wealthy (like, really really wealthy) areas and the exact opposite. In the middle of that, you have the 'just okay' homes that people are offering $10k over for. geez.

If you really aren't finding anything acceptable, maybe it makes more sense to rent at this point and wait until you have more to spend. Or compromise (I know you've said this is difficult for your bf) for the short-term. Trust me, I know how it is - we lived with my parents for six months before finding our house - but I think it's important for you guys to find something you actually like, even if it isn't your dream house and that house might just not be out there right now.

Research basically has me working 15 hours a day, 7 days a week until August. I was so dang tired today that when I went to Starbucks during lunch for wifi, I totally fell asleep sitting up.

I had an upper endoscopy this morning because I've been having issues swallowing and food getting stuck. Holy sore throat and heartburn now! They dilated at least one area and they took biopsies to confirm for eosinophilic esophagitis :(

If you really aren't finding anything acceptable, maybe it makes more sense to rent at this point and wait until you have more to spend. Or compromise (I know you've said this is difficult for your bf) for the short-term. Trust me, I know how it is - we lived with my parents for six months before finding our house - but I think it's important for you guys to find something you actually like, even if it isn't your dream house and that house might just not be out there right now.
Well he's definitely got his apartment that is good for him at this point (even though his neighbors drive him nuts). The goal was for me to be living with him this summer, but we just can't have four cats and a rabbit crammed in there. I've brought up renting a house/condo or buying a condo, but his mindset is that if he's going to spend $150-200k on a condo (how much they're going for around here), it might as well be a house. And he wants to stop renting ASAP. It helps that we're not moving or starting a new job, so there's no real rush to buy anything.

It took us a while to get out of the dream home mentality and into a starter home frame of mind, which helped a lot. There's just still a lot of inflexibility on his end regarding certain things, so I feel like we'll be forced to wait for the right house to pop up anyways. It could take a while, but he'll also continue to save which will help out the budget situation. Part of the emotional battle is him realizing the costs of what he actually wants vs. what he can afford (he's never been through house hunting before, whereas I've gone house hunting with my family like 5 times).

I just still cannot believe people are offering 10-20k over for these houses! We loved the one we had an offer on, but we couldn't go any higher than we did.

I'm dog sitting for one of the clinicians at work while she is at a conference. Her dog is staying with me and I'm going to check on her cats. I woke up this morning to take her dog and mine outside and see that her dog has pooped and peed on my cowhide rug. It was definitely her dog because of the size of the poop. Of course the dog manages to pee on the white part which is now stained and likely ruined. I'm currently trying internet remedies for getting dog pee stains out of leather but so far no luck. I was wanting to get a new rug soon, but I need a new computer more and was going to save my money for that. I took both dogs outside three times yesterday (and this is an adult dog), so I have no idea why he did it.