RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yesterday the OM of my hospital, her husband (our realtor), and their 13 year old son were on a Boy Scout trip and blew a tire and rolled their car down a ravine and hit a tree. One boy that was in the car was not injured and the father of another boy was in the car and died on scene. OM has a brain bleed and no recollection of what happened and needs surgery for a broken arm and leg. Her husband had surgery yesterday for a collapsed lung and other internal injuries. Their son had surgery for a fractured leg. Their 16 year old daughter was found broken down and hysterical on the front lawn of their house.

So awful, we're all just sick over it.

Got up this morning and heard about the shooting in Florida. Ugh, it's a reality check about how fragile life is.

Members don't see this ad.

Watching the baby brother for the weekend is making me an unhappy human being and reminds me how little patience I have with children.

Got up this morning and heard about the shooting in Florida. Ugh, it's a reality check about how fragile life is.
50+ people dead now. Just dancing at 2am in what should have been a safe space... makes me feel sick. I can't even say the number of times I've been at our city's main gay club at that hour. And just what a perfect **** storm combo of gays, guns and Muslims for all the worst of people on the internet to come out.

Reactions: 5 users
Watching the baby brother for the weekend is making me an unhappy human being and reminds me how little patience I have with children.

50+ people dead now. Just dancing at 2am in what should have been a safe space... makes me feel sick. I can't even say the number of times I've been at our city's main gay club at that hour. And just what a perfect **** storm combo of gays, guns and Muslims for all the worst of people on the internet to come out.
Yeah, the news these past days with my already shaky stance on humans hurts my soul so much. I can't understand why there is so much hate out there. :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My parents bought my groceries today. I got some chicken nuggets. Distinctly remember the cashier bagging then and putting them in the cart. Kind of remember putting them in the car. Cannot find them for my life anywhere in the kitchen, dining, or living room. I suspect that they were left in the back of my parents' car but my parents didn't see them.

I guess they ****ing evaporated... as did my hopes of having a yummy dinosaur-shaped snack. :(

Yesterday the OM of my hospital, her husband (our realtor), and their 13 year old son were on a Boy Scout trip and blew a tire and rolled their car down a ravine and hit a tree. One boy that was in the car was not injured and the father of another boy was in the car and died on scene. OM has a brain bleed and no recollection of what happened and needs surgery for a broken arm and leg. Her husband had surgery yesterday for a collapsed lung and other internal injuries. Their son had surgery for a fractured leg. Their 16 year old daughter was found broken down and hysterical on the front lawn of their house.

So heartbreaking :( We got a flat tire on a trip with my sister last weekend - fortunately it wasn't an explosive blow out and there was an exit with a huge, empty parking lot right there where we could pull off. But we all remarked how lucky it was because we were going at least 65 on the highway when it happened.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone please convince me that free student housing is worth it no matter what before I go out in search of a hotel soon...
Well, what's making you not consider the free student housing?

Well, what's making you not consider the free student housing?
Got here about an hour ago (10:30 pm) Wanted to get here around 6 but my car broke down...

The actual student housing is supposedly full (vet didn't know that when she said id have a place. The place I'm staying is an apartment on a different farm they bought out awhile ago but haven't really used since. It doesn't look like this place has been cleaned or inhabited for several years at least. Dirt/dust everywhere. Flies, mosquitos and spiders. No a/c which isn't a big deal. I brought a fan but there are no screens in the windows and the Windows are cracked/don't close all the way anyway. Fridge and oven don't appear to work. The lights turn on and the water runs so that's good. Shower/toilet is gross. No cleaning supplies anywhere I can find. Brought my own bedding (thank goodness) but after taking their bedding off the mattress has what looks like blood stains and I'm scared of bed bugs (but didn't find any when I flipped it). Am I just being whiney?

Got here about an hour ago (10:30 pm) Wanted to get here around 6 but my car broke down...

The actual student housing is supposedly full (vet didn't know that when she said id have a place. The place I'm staying is an apartment on a different farm they bought out awhile ago but haven't really used since. It doesn't look like this place has been cleaned or inhabited for several years at least. Dirt/dust everywhere. Flies, mosquitos and spiders. No a/c which isn't a big deal. I brought a fan but there are no screens in the windows and the Windows are cracked/don't close all the way anyway. Fridge and oven don't appear to work. The lights turn on and the water runs so that's good. Shower/toilet is gross. No cleaning supplies anywhere I can find. Brought my own bedding (thank goodness) but after taking their bedding off the mattress has what looks like blood stains and I'm scared of bed bugs (but didn't find any when I flipped it). Am I just being whiney?
Free is good, but I wouldn't stay there. If you explain the situation would they give you a housing stipend?

Dude, I'd GTFO as soon as possible. Don't mess around with bed bugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take pictures of everything to document how gross/unlivable it is.

Absolutely not. A place without a working fridge, without a working oven, and with cracked windows that can't be secured probably doesn't meet the minimum housing requirements. I don't know what state you're in but I think it's unlikely that this place would be considered habitable anywhere.

I would not want to live there for two weeks. I'm guessing that you're on an externship of some sort? I would not want to go through a stressful day of work and come home to more stress, even in a temporary living space.

Just be honest. Tell them that because of the conditions the house was in, you were forced to stay at a hotel last night. Take pictures for sure before you leave, if you haven't already, and of bug bites you get from being in there. I'm sorry that your first night out there is majorly suckish :(

GTFO now. I spent a night in a hotel that must have had bedbugs. Those bites were the worst bites i have ever had. Oh god they itched.

Wow, and I thought my undergrad dorm with just a fridge and microwave was bad... how the hey can they expect you to keep/prepare food with no stove, microwave, or even a fridge? That's not even getting into the issues with mosquitos and bedbugs or the general grossness.

I'd nope right out of there, personally. I mean, I know it's free, but geez.

No microwave to boot.

Sitting in the kitchen getting eaten by mosquitos has helped make my decision to leave. I just don't know what to say tomorrow.

Just be honest. The windows can't be secured, so it's basically like giving you an apartment with no lock on the door. And the essential appliances that you'd need for proper food preparation and storage don't work. How are you supposed to make food for yourself? Even without the dirt, bed bugs, mosquitoes, and spiders, your accommodations are inadequate on a very basic level. We're not living in a zombie apocalypse, so you shouldn't have to accept it if you don't feel comfortable (which I can't imagine anyone would).

Yeah, FB, I'd get out of there. That's not housing...

Well I've called all the hotels in the area (I'm in the middle of no where) and they're either full or not answering the phone so I guess I'll probably be sleeping in my car tonight.

Woot! Found a hotel (that didn't answer phone earlier). They are booked full tomorrow night but I'll figure that out after I get about 4 hours of sleep tonight... A hotel never looked so clean!

My heart hurts for my beautiful city. I drove home on Friday and had been invited to go to Pulse on Saturday night but decided to see a movie instead. Now we're "home to the deadliest mass shooting in America," instead of "home of the happiest place on Earth," the Sunshine State," "the city beautiful."

My heart hurts for my beautiful city. I drove home on Friday and had been invited to go to Pulse on Saturday night but decided to see a movie instead. Now we're "home to the deadliest mass shooting in America," instead of "home of the happiest place on Earth," the Sunshine State," "the city beautiful."

So glad you didn't go. I'm sure its a very scary place to be right now. I hope it calms down and you can enjoy your time at home.

So my expected family contribution is just about half of my husband's salary. We have a mortgage, his student loan debt, and two car loans. My parents are retired and living on hardly anything to the point where they paid $0 in taxes. But my expected family contribution is still half my husband's salary. Thanks, guys. If we could afford to miss out on half his salary, we wouldn't have a mortgage or student loan debt already. Feels like it was hardly worth the trouble to fill out all of those damned forms for just a pittance in aid. Time to book a flight to Ukraine to sell a kidney and a chunk of my liver.

So my expected family contribution is just about half of my husband's salary. We have a mortgage, his student loan debt, and two car loans. My parents are retired and living on hardly anything to the point where they paid $0 in taxes. But my expected family contribution is still half my husband's salary. Thanks, guys. If we could afford to miss out on half his salary, we wouldn't have a mortgage or student loan debt already. Feels like it was hardly worth the trouble to fill out all of those damned forms for just a pittance in aid. Time to book a flight to Ukraine to sell a kidney and a chunk of my liver.
The smart investor will kidnap someone else and sell their kidneys and liver chunks.

The smart investor will kidnap someone else and sell their kidneys and liver chunks.

Excellent point! I knew learning Russian would come in handy.

Seriously, though, I'm freaking out a little bit. Maxing out the federal loans they say I'm eligible for, I'd be living off of $300/month after rent but before utilities, food, etc.. I don't have any f-ing collateral to qualify for a personal private loan, so I don't know what I'm going to do. No one in my family is going to want to be a co-signer, either, and I sure wouldn't want my parents to be dragged into that even if they were willing to do it. The only option would be if we'd be able to take out a home equity loan, but I honestly feel like I'd rather not go to school at all if we have to do that. It just doesn't make sense to me that my expected contribution is going to be half our income. We don't even make that much money, especially for how expensive it is to live in this area. Why couldn't I have just wanted to be a damn dentist?

I wish I had a bigger car for this move. I'm trying to bring as much as possible because I know I'll need something at some point. But between my dog and the two guinea pigs, I have a ton of pet crap that is going to take up a lot of space.

Seriously, though, I'm freaking out a little bit. Maxing out the federal loans they say I'm eligible for, I'd be living off of $300/month after rent but before utilities, food, etc.. I don't have any f-ing collateral to qualify for a personal private loan, so I don't know what I'm going to do. No one in my family is going to want to be a co-signer, either, and I sure wouldn't want my parents to be dragged into that even if they were willing to do it. The only option would be if we'd be able to take out a home equity loan, but I honestly feel like I'd rather not go to school at all if we have to do that. It just doesn't make sense to me that my expected contribution is going to be half our income. We don't even make that much money, especially for how expensive it is to live in this area. Why couldn't I have just wanted to be a damn dentist?

I feel you, I can't understand how they just don't take into account if you already have debt. No, seriously everyone is in a perfect financial state. How stupid can you be?

I wish I had a bigger car for this move. I'm trying to bring as much as possible because I know I'll need something at some point. But between my dog and the two guinea pigs, I have a ton of pet crap that is going to take up a lot of space.

Ugh, moving sucks. I hear you on the pet stuff. Since my husband had moved down here months before I left NY, I had to bring all 3 pets AND all the rest of the crap that I couldn't leave with the movers. Poor little car was packed to the gills, and the two cats were in the passenger's seat with one carrier stacked on top of the other. I had to leave behind a lot of stuff for friends to take off the porch if they wanted. Good luck with everything, orca!

I feel you, I can't understand how they just don't take into account if you already have debt. No, seriously everyone is in a perfect financial state. How stupid can you be?

They do take it into account. My school's application had a lot of questions about assets and debts. I have no idea what kind of formula they use, though, since my expected family contribution is a bit more than my husband's entire grad school student loan debt (~$30k). Like, if we could afford to pay that much for my school, we'd have paid off his debt by now. I'm not going to need a huge amount of extra money, but despite being fairly frugal, I can't live with just $300/month to pay for utilities, food, medication, etc.. And my savings has been going towards all these extra expenses to get ready for school, so my bank account is looking very pathetic. Not sure how much my husband will be able to give me and totally not sure what's going to happen when my stepdaughter graduates from high school. She doesn't live with us, but my husband sends extra support each month, and I don't know what kind of obligations he'll have if she decides to go to college. It's just incredibly stressful. I'm hoping the financial aid office will be able to at least give me more information so I can understand why the numbers are what they are.

I hope this doesn't turn into a real rant...this evening I found a package of unopened, fully cooked turkey bacon in my fridge with a use by date of April. So I cooked it and since it didn't smell weird or seem suspicious, I ate it. I have no idea what possessed me to do that, a younger version of me would die to hear that I did that. Part of me is a little horrified and another part of me is a little horrified that I don't care. I just...there are no words. Exhaustion and poverty change you people.

I'm channeling you right now. Unopened, fully cooked package of kielbasa in the fridge. Use by date of February. I'm eating it because my parents went away for the next night or so, there's no real food in the house and I'm too poor to order out. Potentially bad sausage and rice it is.

Unless something has changed, most schools should offer aid up to the total cost of attendence, regardless of outside sources. It might be in the form of plus loans though- did it give you that option? There was one year fafsa wanted me to accept like 14k in work study... That wasn't going to happen as a vet student. The school was able to change the type of aid offered when I questioned it

I'm channeling you right now. Unopened, fully cooked package of kielbasa in the fridge. Use by date of February. I'm eating it because my parents went away for the next night or so, there's no real food in the house and I'm too poor to order out. Potentially bad sausage and rice it is.
Nothing ever happened to me...but I haven't been brave enough to eat the rest of the package I cooked yet :laugh:

Unless something has changed, most schools should offer aid up to the total cost of attendence, regardless of outside sources. It might be in the form of plus loans though- did it give you that option? There was one year fafsa wanted me to accept like 14k in work study... That wasn't going to happen as a vet student. The school was able to change the type of aid offered when I questioned it

That's what I thought, too. That you'd be able to borrow up to the general cost of attendance. But the way my letter is worded, they subtracted the expected contribution from their estimated CoA and said that's my limit for "financial aid eligibility." They then split up that eligibility total between Direct loans and "alternative loan program," which would be the PLUS loans. The totals still only add up to what they consider my eligibility. I haven't had a chance to read the big, long document they have online and will be contacting financial aid directly for clarification, but based on what the letter says, I'm only eligible for (CoA - EFC) in federal loans. It doesn't seem right, though, and I'm wondering if that's just their estimate of what I'll need. The way everything is phrased in the letter would suggest otherwise. I guess what shocked me the most was how high the EFC is. On the extensive application, I indicated that we're maintaining separate residences and that my piddling $16k in income from this year won't be there since I won't be working full-time, among all the other details, and yet the EFC is still half my husband's salary. It just doesn't make sense.

I also apparently need to stop slacking on my PT exercises. I haven't been the best about doing anything more now that my sessions are done and I'm in the process of moving, but I've been fitting in the gym and I'm starting to have some pain again. Hoping to buy a set of small weights, a medicine ball and a foam roller so I can do some more of the exercises.

That's what I thought, too. That you'd be able to borrow up to the general cost of attendance. But the way my letter is worded, they subtracted the expected contribution from their estimated CoA and said that's my limit for "financial aid eligibility." They then split up that eligibility total between Direct loans and "alternative loan program," which would be the PLUS loans. The totals still only add up to what they consider my eligibility. I haven't had a chance to read the big, long document they have online and will be contacting financial aid directly for clarification, but based on what the letter says, I'm only eligible for (CoA - EFC) in federal loans. It doesn't seem right, though, and I'm wondering if that's just their estimate of what I'll need. The way everything is phrased in the letter would suggest otherwise. I guess what shocked me the most was how high the EFC is. On the extensive application, I indicated that we're maintaining separate residences and that my piddling $16k in income from this year won't be there since I won't be working full-time, among all the other details, and yet the EFC is still half my husband's salary. It just doesn't make sense.

Will you and your husband be living separately while you're in school? For my last year of school I had to claim we were "separated" since it technically fit the description (we were 1200 miles apart) and magically my EFC dropped to 0. Stupid loans.

I would call the financial aid office and talk to them.

Somehow my EFC was $9k when I file taxes as single and independent, which is over half of what I made last year. I was still eligible for CoA when my loan package was sent to me. It had an estimated need section that subtracted the $9k, but I was still had the full amount available to accept.

Maybe it's some system error they can sort out? I hope everything gets worked out!

Will you and your husband be living separately while you're in school? For my last year of school I had to claim we were "separated" since it technically fit the description (we were 1200 miles apart) and magically my EFC dropped to 0. Stupid loans.

Yes, we'll be maintaining separate residences about 3 hours apart in different states. That was one of the many questions on the form, so this is presumably my EFC with us living separately. Which is why I think it's kind of crazy. If we were living together, what would it be? Over half his income? I mean, that EFC is almost double the sum of our mortgage payments for the year.

Today I was 2 seconds away from fainting in surgery lab... goes to show that even someone with a "stomach of steel" can faint if there's enough factors against them (Dehydration + new/constricting back brace + nasty congested cold = wobbly Ash).

Thankfully I was able to sit down and all was well 20 minutes down the road.

Got my first text as a doctor asking for medical advice for a oral/gingival mass (hard to tell based on picture) on a pug that belongs to a friend of a friend... Of course, told her to tell her friend to have her vet see it.

Today I was 2 seconds away from fainting in surgery lab... goes to show that even someone with a "stomach of steel" can faint if there's enough factors against them (Dehydration + new/constricting back brace + nasty congested cold = wobbly Ash).

Thankfully I was able to sit down and all was well 20 minutes down the road.

That pre-faint feeling is the worst thing.

That pre-faint feeling is the worst thing.
This is only the second time ever I had that feeling and it's awful! I've never been so uncomfortably sweaty/hot in my life, not to mention my surgery partners looked awful funny when I saw double of them :p.

This is only the second time ever I had that feeling and it's awful! I've never been so uncomfortably sweaty/hot in my life, not to mention my surgery partners looked awful funny when I saw double of them :p.

I'm glad you didn't actually faint! I did years ago, on my second day of work, and during a dental of all things. :laugh: Voices started coming from far away, and then I opened my eyes and I was on the floor. My boss told me story after story about people she knew who had fainted to try and make me feel better.

Every so often I'll have some day where I'm dehydrated or didn't have time to eat breakfast, and I'll get really close to fainting. It's no fun at all.

I've had a few close calls myself, usually when I've been sick and just get warm and sweaty.

The first time I ever fainted was when I donated blood. I was squeezing the little ball they give and you missed the memo about how you're supposed to stop doing that after the first few pumps. Filled my bag way too quickly. All I remember is feeling weird and thinking that if I closed my eyes I'd probably be fine. Next thing I know, people are poking me, calling my name, I have a washcloth on my head and I had dropped my soda which was seeping into my backpack next team. I'm assuming I filled the collection bag too quickly because I finished at about the same time as the girl next to me who had been on the chair for like 15 minutes. I've been too traumatized to redonate but I feel like I should.