RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Went to the health department today for my second rabies vaccine. They had automatically scheduled the appointment for me last week after the first one. This time, instead of waiting for half an hour to be seen like the last time (no big deal), I sat there for almost 2 hours. I was the only person left in the waiting room, and people who had come in before me had already been seen and had left. Even the staff at the check-in and check-out counters had gotten up and left their post. It really was starting to get very frustrating, and while I'm normally patient, I was starting to get legitimately pissed off. I was literally sitting in the clinic by myself, and aside from the occasional employee walking past to go grab something from the office, there was no one there.

After having arrived at 9:50, the nurse finally came out at 11:45 to call my name. She told me that there was good news and bad news. The good news was that she didn't forget about me. (Really? That's the good news?) The bad news was that they didn't have any rabies vaccines. I had been waiting so long because she was busy calling the other county health departments to see if anyone had anything, but no one did. They had ordered some from the state capital but the shipment hadn't come in yet. So she asked me when I could come back. I was so upset. Mondays are the only days I can go there, and the health department has limited hours for the rest of the week. They only see people on Monday and Wednesday mornings. The nurse offered to let me come in on off-hours tomorrow after I get off of work, but she said I'd have to call around 2 pm to find out if their shipment had come, so it's possible that I won't even be able to get it done tomorrow.

She was very apologetic, and I know it wasn't her fault. I reassured her that I understood and that it was okay. Things happen. But man was I f-ing pissed on the inside. This was a scheduled appointment, and the print out they gave me showed that they flag it as rabies in their system since it's one of the more unusual requests. THEY KNEW I WAS COMING. But nobody checked to see if there were any vaccines available until it was my turn to be seen. Why in the hell don't they check the schedule in the morning and see who's coming in for what? Why didn't they check their stock before I was supposed to be there and give me a call so I wouldn't completely waste two hours of my life waiting for absolutely nothing? And when they realized that they didn't have the vaccine, why didn't someone just come out and talk to me so I could know what was going on and understand why I was waiting so long instead of having me sit and stew in a f-ing empty waiting room until she was done trying to call other offices? If someone had actually clued me in, I wouldn't have been so upset about the waiting.

Here's to hoping I can actually get the damn vaccine in time to not screw up the schedule. I'm paying for all of this out of pocket, so if anybody ever tells me I need to restart the series, I am going to absolutely lose my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

To the general population: If you call me at 10PM for an emergency, and I ask you how long the problem has been going on, the answer had better be something under 2 hours. If you make me get out of bed and put on pants for something that was going on for >24 hours (aka - could have been seen during the 12 hours we were open today), I will be supremely pissed.

Reactions: 1 users
Finding a PCP for insurance. It's beyond frustrating when places are listed as taking new patients based on your insurance provider but then you call and they're not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiously awaiting the results of an offer on a second house. This one is actually everything we have been looking for, so we went all in and did the best we could. Again, several offers on the table. The seller was supposed to have decided by Sunday night, but is dragging this process along for some reason (I think it was strategy to try and encourage the buyers to up their offers, but who knows). We were told a decision would be made tonight, but we haven't heard a yes or a no. Hopefully in the morning. If we lose out on this one, it's gonna be a bit of a blow unfortunately.

More an annoyance than a rant, but I'm trying to get all of my urgent care records together to be sent over to my new PCP (they won't give you an appointment until everything is already sent over) and it's a pain in the butt. Doesn't help that my printer is busted and that one place requires a written request for records be sent to their PO box while the other will let the PCP people submit a request. I'm kind of scared to call and ask if they do that or if I do that, but I have the suspicion that I do that request because the paperwork is on their website. We're so good to clients in vet med...

Chronic back pain sucks. Thought my back was finally getting better after being on meds for two whole months. Finally got off of them 10 days ago and was feeling great and then bam. My back decides to start killing me again today. Didn't do anything to reinjure it. Haven't lifted anything over 30 pounds in 10 weeks which has been a hassle at work. It just started hurting again out of nowhere. Maybe the meds worked their way out of my system or something but I'm getting tired of it. :(

New chicks arrived in the mail today. Hubby went to get them from the post office and said over a dozen were dead. The hatchery will replace them, but I still have the sads.
I wonder if they cooked or if someone tried to keep them cool by placing in front of an AC vent or if they had rough handling or...? Just sad. :(

Just over a month left before school: car accident takes out the back end of my car :( since I'm not responsible i don't have to pay for the repairs but I'm missing at least one day of work because I no longer have a drive able car. Ugh. At least I'm okay

Took the car in to get new tires, now looking at over a thousand dollars in repairs to things that are broken/breaking. Hoping my dad can help replace some for cheaper.

I had to euthanize my 5 year old dog yesterday. She had congenital multifocal brain disease (deaf, cerebellar, and had seizures), and had been doing really well. Seemed non-progressive. But yesterday, she had an episode of status epilepticus that was absolutely non-responsive to benzos, loaded her on pheno and keppra and had to put her on a propofol CRI intubated. Tried weaning her off after 4 hours and she immediately went back to seizuring nonstop. Made the decision to stop rather than keep her there overnight on propofol only to repeat the same thing today and prolong the inevitable. I'm pretty torn up over this since it was so sudden. Her other 2 witnessed seizures in her life were like 30 seconds-1 minute long and she recovered easily, and the last one was years ago. We were just about to move to where she would have a huge yard again too. :(

I had to euthanize my 5 year old dog yesterday. She had congenital multifocal brain disease (deaf, cerebellar, and had seizures), and had been doing really well. Seemed non-progressive. But yesterday, she had an episode of status epilepticus that was absolutely non-responsive to benzos, loaded her on pheno and keppra and had to put her on a propofol CRI intubated. Tried weaning her off after 4 hours and she immediately went back to seizuring nonstop. Made the decision to stop rather than keep her there overnight on propofol only to repeat the same thing today and prolong the inevitable. I'm pretty torn up over this since it was so sudden. Her other 2 witnessed seizures in her life were like 30 seconds-1 minute long and she recovered easily, and the last one was years ago. We were just about to move to where she would have a huge yard again too. :(

So sorry for your loss. You'll be in my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry, Nyanko. That's really tough... I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts. :cryi:

It sounds like you absolutely made the right, kind decision for her but I'm so sorry that she's gone :(

Went to the base to get a new military dependent ID card because my old one expired... But couldn't get a new one, because my old one was expired and no longer counts as ID. They have always accepted expired military IDs as identification to renew your ID before and just changed it on the first of the month and sent out NO notices about the change, had no signs up, nothing. The only mention of it was a sentence scribbled on some forms taped to the countertop at the service desk, which you wouldn't see until you got called up to the desk to be served after waiting for an hour to be seen. I was basically told that I should just be carrying my social security card or birth certificate with me at all times.

What a huge waste of a lunch break and an hour and a half of my life.

Stupid rant, but my fall schedule (specifically surgery) is such that attending ExoticsCon this year is all but impossible. I could technically switch for that week, but I love my surgery group and I'm a creature of habit, plus I'd have to pay conference fees before I could be sure of a switch, and nearly $200 is too much for my poor bank account to gamble. -sigh-

Hopefully I'll be granted my desired vacation term next year so I can attend then. :/

Went to the base to get a new military dependent ID card because my old one expired... But couldn't get a new one, because my old one was expired and no longer counts as ID. They have always accepted expired military IDs as identification to renew your ID before and just changed it on the first of the month and sent out NO notices about the change, had no signs up, nothing. The only mention of it was a sentence scribbled on some forms taped to the countertop at the service desk, which you wouldn't see until you got called up to the desk to be served after waiting for an hour to be seen. I was basically told that I should just be carrying my social security card or birth certificate with me at all times.

What a huge waste of a lunch break and an hour and a half of my life.

SOB! Mine expired and I need to get a new one so thanks a million for posting this! So you have to have what, 2 forms of ID that aren't the expired ID to renew?

Reactions: 1 user
SOB! Mine expired and I need to get a new one so thanks a million for posting this! So you have to have what, 2 forms of ID that aren't the expired ID to renew?
Yup. I showed them my drivers license and I used to use the expired military ID, but now I'll have to bring in my birth certificate or SS card. They'll accept passports and voter's registration cards and things like that too.

Work is making me miserable, but I need the money. Each week has been worse than the last, and most of the senior staff are actively looking for other jobs. The other day, there was a mix up with my shift. Someone thought they had asked me to change my hours, but they didn't. It's such a rare request that I absolutely would've remembered. I heard them ask someone else, but no one approached me about it, so I thought they had everything covered. And I live far enough away that I pay very, very close attention to any potential shift changes. I had even checked the online scheduling system the day before, and my shift was still unchanged. Every other time someone has approached me about a shift change, it's been put in immediately. So I came in for my standard shift, and the owner saw me and passive-aggressively thanked me for coming in. I didn't even know what she was talking about until someone else said something. At that point, she said that I must've just not been paying attention when they asked me. Which makes me think if the problem was that I wasn't paying attention, then how could I possibly have said yes or no to the request?

I love how even though I have literally NEVER been even a single minute late in all of my time there and even though I have proven myself to be reliable, the owner couldn't bother to give me the benefit of the doubt and had to go the saccharine-sweet-while-being-sarcastic route with me. The continual use of that tactic and other passive aggressive moves like that has led many people to leave this place over the years, including doctors that had been there a very long time. If I weren't already leaving, this would've been the absolute last straw.

Today was the first day of being on the floor for my internship. We weren't really functioning interns, as the outgoing interns were still handling the cases. But a fellow (new) intern and I were scrubbed into a surgery, and the resident had two incisions to close. She handed me the needle drivers to close the smaller one, I'm assuming because she knows I want to be a surgeon, and I made a complete ass of myself. The incision was at a weird angle relative to me (perpendicular to the floor, rather than a normal incision position), since she was suturing the main incision, so I couldn't really get a good shot at it without standing where the resident was standing. I ended up admitting defeat and backing my needle out and having the resident re-do my sutures.

It was just such a bummer to be handed that opportunity the first day of an internship and do such a silly thing, especially since she was obviously trying to save time (a late surgery on a Friday) by having someone else "competent" help close, rather than letting the student have a shot. My reasoning with myself for the terrible job is that the angle was so bizarre, and I haven't touched suture in well over 2 months.

Today was the first day of being on the floor for my internship. We weren't really functioning interns, as the outgoing interns were still handling the cases. But a fellow (new) intern and I were scrubbed into a surgery, and the resident had two incisions to close. She handed me the needle drivers to close the smaller one, I'm assuming because she knows I want to be a surgeon, and I made a complete ass of myself. The incision was at a weird angle relative to me (perpendicular to the floor, rather than a normal incision position), since she was suturing the main incision, so I couldn't really get a good shot at it without standing where the resident was standing. I ended up admitting defeat and backing my needle out and having the resident re-do my sutures.

It was just such a bummer to be handed that opportunity the first day of an internship and do such a silly thing, especially since she was obviously trying to save time (a late surgery on a Friday) by having someone else "competent" help close, rather than letting the student have a shot. My reasoning with myself for the terrible job is that the angle was so bizarre, and I haven't touched suture in well over 2 months.
As an outgoing intern who is currently mentoring new interns, we totally understand that things won't be perfect. We offer you opportunities to practice because there is no better teacher than experience. Be gentle with yourself, you are here to make mistakes and to more importantly learn from them. We would be frustrated and annoyed if you showed up and were perfect. It's no fun that way ;) what really shows is that when you felt it wasn't good, instead of giving up or saying oh well, you took the time to correct. That means so much to everyone. Comfort and ease come with time. You will get there, know that we remember what it was like to be in your shoes and that we understand.

I did poorly on my first summer biochem exam. :( All my mistakes were stupid little things that added up, and now my window for error in the rest of the course is substantially smaller. I was feeling so prepared for the exam, and I'm so mad at myself for missing those questions.

It takes a little while to be proficient at suturing; it takes even longer to be quick at it ;) Practice really does make perfect - find something to practice on and let it be a learning moment. Like jmo said, it's better that you asked for her to re-do them - shows you care about the outcome.

As an outgoing intern who is currently mentoring new interns, we totally understand that things won't be perfect. We offer you opportunities to practice because there is no better teacher than experience. Be gentle with yourself, you are here to make mistakes and to more importantly learn from them. We would be frustrated and annoyed if you showed up and were perfect. It's no fun that way ;) what really shows is that when you felt it wasn't good, instead of giving up or saying oh well, you took the time to correct. That means so much to everyone. Comfort and ease come with time. You will get there, know that we remember what it was like to be in your shoes and that we understand.

It takes a little while to be proficient at suturing; it takes even longer to be quick at it ;) Practice really does make perfect - find something to practice on and let it be a learning moment. Like jmo said, it's better that you asked for her to re-do them - shows you care about the outcome.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :) I was really just disappointed in myself since I know I'm good at suturing (I've put myself in the position to practice so much over the past few years); it's just been a while since I've had my hands on an instrument. I brought it up to the resident today, and she basically said the same thing. I just really wanted to make a stellar first impression. Oh well, I have all year to fix it!

It's like my husband is actively trying to set me off. Great. Excellent timing.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :) I was really just disappointed in myself since I know I'm good at suturing (I've put myself in the position to practice so much over the past few years); it's just been a while since I've had my hands on an instrument. I brought it up to the resident today, and she basically said the same thing. I just really wanted to make a stellar first impression. Oh well, I have all year to fix it!

Good luck with the internship :luck:

So just as a warning , anyone who is my FB friend may have seen it already but I feel like I need to share this.. So I'm getting slandered and harassed on Facebook. So I deleted my account. So anyway, anyone who is my friend I would like to ask if you receive anything please let me know, but don't reply just report and block whatever you hear from. Thanks :)

So just as a warning , anyone who is my FB friend may have seen it already but I feel like I need to share this.. So I'm getting slandered and harassed on Facebook. So I deleted my account. So anyway, anyone who is my friend I would like to ask if you receive anything please let me know, but don't reply just report and block whatever you hear from. Thanks :)
Woah that's craziness!

My foster (to adopt) dog had his first progress check up today. Despite feeding him my border collie's high protein, high fat food and way more than he needed to hit his goal weight he's gained no weight in the week that I've had him. The vet decided we should do an exploratory surgery to see what might be going on. None of our diagnostics result fit the clinical picture. I decided to opt out of being there. I sat with him and petted him until it was time for anesthesia. Then I gave him a kiss on the head and said Zay and I would be back to get him in just a little bit. Of course they found cancer in my little puppy. He was four years old. He just couldn't catch a break his entire life. I'll miss you Franklin. You were an awesome little guy.

You know what takes a little while to become proficient at?

The damn endoscope. I mean, I love having the option available. And I love video games. But man can that thing be frustrating sometimes. "No!!! Turn! More! THAT WAY!!! Stoopid scope!!!"

(Said last night pulling a gastric fb out of a cat.)

The damn endoscope. I mean, I love having the option available. And I love video games. But man can that thing be frustrating sometimes. "No!!! Turn! More! THAT WAY!!! Stoopid scope!!!"
The little bit of laparoscopic surgery I've done has been a combination of my most frustrating and most entertaining time in the OR. Tiny little nudge of a camera, completely different view and where the $&#* did the ligasure go? But you can't beat pretty much using a video game to spay something. :D

(Said last night pulling a gastric fb out of a cat.)
I would kill for an endoscope. And digital rads for the portable rad unit.

To the clients who witnessed their dog falling off the kitchen counter early in the day yesterday, losing control of her bowels and immediately becoming paralyzed in the hind end, but waited until today to seek veterinary attention because "she didn't seem that painful:"

You suck. A lot. I hope that someday, someone leaves you paralyzed after a fall, leaking feces and urine uncontrollably, for 24 hours before deciding to call a doctor and say "my friend can't use her legs, but she doesn't seem to be in pain.... do you really think I need to bother to bring her in?" And when that doctor recommends that you see a specialist to discuss surgery for your poor paralyzed body, I hope your friend chuckles and says "yeah, there's no way I'd spend that much on her.... if she doesn't improve with steroids, we'll just put her down." Because karma.

You really suck and you ruined by Sunday.

I noticed you disappeared! Hope you're okay and nothing serious is afoot.

I would kill for an endoscope. And digital rads for the portable rad unit.

Endoscopy for ER purposes is about 95% pulling crap out of places it shouldn't be, which is most of the time the stomach. Every once in a while we'll do something like biopsy or get something from the esophagus or some other orifice, but mostly it's run the scope down and persuade the pylorus to give up its treasure.

It's one of those things that is glorious when it works and you've spared the patient surgery and the owner the cost of surgery .... and ridiculously frustrating when you're trying to tug a zipper out of the pylorus and it refuses to give it up and the owners euthanize because they gave you a "make scoping work, because we're euthanizing if you can't get it out that way."

And then your joy at success gets robbed when the ungrateful owner starts complaining to your front desk about how long it's taking her cat to wake up after the procedure. C'mon lady - I just spared your cat surgery and you a few thousand dollars in surgery and you're throwing a hissy fit because it's taking 30 minutes to get your cat recovered from anesthesia? REALLY? Grateful much?

To the clients who witnessed their dog falling off the kitchen counter early in the day yesterday, losing control of her bowels and immediately becoming paralyzed in the hind end, but waited until today to seek veterinary attention because "she didn't seem that painful:"
[...]
You really suck and you ruined by Sunday.

I'm sorry. :(

I feel like I have that client/patient about once a week. I have a really hard time not letting my disgust show. The other one that's similar is urethral obstruction - I just don't understand how people can take it so lightly. I mean, if I couldn't pee for 8 hours I'd be screaming bloody murder and racing to the ER. And yet one client after another is like "well, it's only been two days." Two days?! Two DAYS???? Really? You try not peeing for two days and lemme know how that works out for you. Idiots.

I'm sorry. :(

I feel like I have that client/patient about once a week. I have a really hard time not letting my disgust show. The other one that's similar is urethral obstruction - I just don't understand how people can take it so lightly. I mean, if I couldn't pee for 8 hours I'd be screaming bloody murder and racing to the ER. And yet one client after another is like "well, it's only been two days." Two days?! Two DAYS???? Really? You try not peeing for two days and lemme know how that works out for you. Idiots.

Yeah. Had one of those yesterday, too. On the schedule as "comprehensive exam [Banfield-speak for wellness/semi-annual exam], possibly lethargic, check anal glands." Bladder the size of a softball. But at least those owners pursued treatment. Paralyzed dog gets steroids, nursing care, and crossed fingers.

I definitely see at least one of those per week, but I think acute paralysis after a known fall was the worst in a while.

Got my hand pinned between a cow and a gate...I really don't have time for a fracture :shrug:

Endoscopy for ER purposes is about 95% pulling crap out of places it shouldn't be, which is most of the time the stomach.

Oh good, that's really all I'd need it for - send it on over :D

As to the other topic, I'm very puzzled by the far less serious but far more common "limping" presentation where, as I get into the history, the owners will remark multiple times, "But (s)he doesn't seem painful." Oh...so why is it that they're limping? I think people expect some human-like screaming or something. (Actually I don't know what they expect; not sure why drawing a parallel to humans is so difficult.)

Oh good, that's really all I'd need it for - send it on over :D

As to the other topic, I'm very puzzled by the far less serious but far more common "limping" presentation where, as I get into the history, the owners will remark multiple times, "But (s)he doesn't seem painful." Oh...so why is it that they're limping? I think people expect some human-like screaming or something. (Actually I don't know what they expect; not sure why drawing a parallel to humans is so difficult.)

My sister did this with a puppy once....it wasn't using the leg and she goes "it doesn't seem to bother him". I told her if it didn't bother him or hurt him, he'd be using it.

Reactions: 4 users