RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm too stupid to put a halter on a cow...

Members don't see this ad.

Dear [insert your name here]: Hi, I know we've never met before. But I just want you to know, I am sending you love, hope and light from where I am. I am praying that you find your lost motivation and power through til the end of this semester. I need you to take time to rest and relax at least on Christmas. I will never stop believing in you. Please keep living (& fighting) til you get where you need to be. Even if it isn't where you imagined or what you wanted, appreciate it.

Love,
kaydubs

P.S. I felt pretty helpless yesterday. I wanted to do more for you. I hope this is enough for now. I'll keep trying though!
P.P.S. I'm not on any drugs or other substances. I get my highs from chocolate and being alive.

Dear [insert your name here]: Hi, I know we've never met before. But I just want you to know, I am sending you love, hope and light from where I am. I am praying that you find your lost motivation and power through til the end of this semester. I need you to take time to rest and relax at least on Christmas. I will never stop believing in you. Please keep living (& fighting) til you get where you need to be. Even if it isn't where you imagined or what you wanted, appreciate it.

Love,
kaydubs

P.S. I felt pretty helpless yesterday. I wanted to do more for you. I hope this is enough for now. I'll keep trying though!
P.P.S. I'm not on any drugs or other substances. I get my highs from chocolate and being alive.

girl, you really are the best. i'm constantly amazed at your optimism and high spirits. thanks for sharing the love :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprisingly really upset about the Illinois rejection :(. I am competetive academically, dammit! This is extremely unfair to have my entire application tossed out because I'm not in the top 10% combined GPA/GRE or whatever for OOS applicants. I actually want to petition for a re-evaluation, but I don't know if it's even possible or worth my time. Mama needs an interview...she needs it bad.

BTW, they don't even consider academic rigor in their evaluation.

With your good grades, you will be interviewed somewhere soon. It's still early; don't forget.

Ugh I'm in a bad mood. I've been going to fitness bootcamp and so far it's been good. I mean I'm the most out-of-shape person there, and I know it, but today was fitness testing. So we had to do all these things and they were timed. I did ok (meaning that I wasn't really far behind everyone) with everything except situps. I just can't do them. I got 20 real ones and like 30 half ones. Plus, the cute guy who says hi and bye to me every day whose name I don't know was my ankle-holder. I was so embarassed. It sucks, but I guess it's good because now that's what I want is to be able to do like 40 real situps by the end of this month of bootcamp.

Ugh I'm in a bad mood. I've been going to fitness bootcamp and so far it's been good. I mean I'm the most out-of-shape person there, and I know it, but today was fitness testing.

That just means you have the most improvement ahead of you. I'm impressed, Bearby. I wish I could find the time to get myself back in good shape.

Ugh I'm in a bad mood. I've been going to fitness bootcamp and so far it's been good. I mean I'm the most out-of-shape person there, and I know it, but today was fitness testing. So we had to do all these things and they were timed. I did ok (meaning that I wasn't really far behind everyone) with everything except situps. I just can't do them. I got 20 real ones and like 30 half ones. Plus, the cute guy who says hi and bye to me every day whose name I don't know was my ankle-holder. I was so embarassed. It sucks, but I guess it's good because now that's what I want is to be able to do like 40 real situps by the end of this month of bootcamp.

It always makes such a difference when you set a clear cut goal like that! (at least for me)

Good for you for going to boot camp!! Forget the other people there - work hard for yourself! :)

Keep it up, and they'll be standing in line to help you do sit ups.

(It took me about 4 tries to not make this sound like an innuendo. "Standing in line to hold your ankles" just sounds wrong.)

Keep it up, and they'll be standing in line to help you do sit ups.

(It took me about 4 tries to not make this sound like an innuendo. "Standing in line to hold your ankles" just sounds wrong.)

:rofl:

Surprise, whenever you request your old GRE scores they now convert them to the new scoring system. Problem is all my percentile ranges are way off... in the bad way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that blows. I really hope you get in this cycle so that this new score report won't screw you over!

Iowa has already converted old scores to the new system for this cycle. My scores were worse after they changed it.

Surprise, whenever you request your old GRE scores they now convert them to the new scoring system. Problem is all my percentile ranges are way off... in the bad way.

I don't think I have to send anymore reports, but after you said this, I decided to check mine as well. All my percentile ranges dropped too, except for writing, which went up. Not cool at all.

How odd that they're messing with those. My verbal stayed the same, quantitative went down 2 points (great, it was already the lowest) and writing went up 5 points.

Although, maybe it'll make schools who are planning on making all applicants for next year take the revised test think again, since they're able to scale the two examinations better. (*grumble at A&M*)

I'm sorry that ETS is screwing you guys over. Hopefully schools will notice that they converted old scores and percentiles and take that into account.

I am very homesick and I haven't even been away from home for two weeks. I am going home on Friday for over three weeks, but first I have to conquer 5 exams. I know it's nothing compared to what the vet students are dealing with, but I am just so done with this semester and the state of Michigan. I want to go back to the dirty south where it is warm and I can lay around my house with my puppies all day and do nothing. 6 days..:(

Yikes, I just checked mine too. They didn't drop terribly, but they are still slightly lower. I don't understand how its even relevant to compare two completely different tests. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me! :mad:

On a separate note, I have a Rave turned Rant! 20 Minutes before my advanced biochem final (I took the wrong, extra hard class :-/) KSU sent me my interview invite. As excited as I was, taking a two hour final in between squeals was pretty impossible and I ended up flunking my final (50% of my grade) lol. Good news is everyone else did equally as bad and I squeaked by with a B+ in the class....
Moral of the story, don't check your email or SDN right before your final! +pissed+

On a separate note, I have a Rave turned Rant! 20 Minutes before my advanced biochem final (I took the wrong, extra hard class :-/) KSU sent me my interview invite. As excited as I was, taking a two hour final in between squeals was pretty impossible and I ended up flunking my final (50% of my grade) lol. Good news is everyone else did equally as bad and I squeaked by with a B+ in the class....
Moral of the story, don't check your email or SDN right before your final! +pissed+

Same thing happened to me- I got my interview invite from OSU during my finals week and spent hours and hours on SDN that I really didn't have to spend. Also, I was too excited to sleep two nights in a row. The grades showed it. I'm really hoping I get in this cycle, because my GPA tanked.

Same thing happened to me- I got my interview invite from OSU during my finals week and spent hours and hours on SDN that I really didn't have to spend. Also, I was too excited to sleep two nights in a row. The grades showed it. I'm really hoping I get in this cycle, because my GPA tanked.

i got my vet school acceptance the day before all of my finals started last year...motivation squished! and on top of that i had bronchitis-how i managed to actually pass and do well on those exams is completely unknown.

congrats!!

i got my vet school acceptance the day before all of my finals started last year...motivation squished! and on top of that i had bronchitis-how i managed to actually pass and do well on those exams is completely unknown.

congrats!!

Because you're a rock star, obviously! :D

inconsiderate housemates and loud families coming to visit and arriving in the middle of the night. grr :mad::annoyed:

inconsiderate housemates and loud families coming to visit and arriving in the middle of the night. grr :mad::annoyed:
The night before I had 2 finals: A comparative vertebrate anatomy final at 7:30 AM and an Animal Development final at 9:30 AM... my parents, brother, and boyfriend showed up and decided to have a bon fire, and get hammered while I tried to CRAM for my finals. Then they thought it would be helpful to steal my binder at 4am (3 hours before my final), and try to quiz me and make fun of all the words they couldn't pronounce.
Then, when I got home at noon after being up for 56 hours and taking 4 hours of finals, I came home to them napping. I never got to sleep that day and then had to sit through a 3 hour graduation ceremony lol.... I hated them all that day lol.
Did I mention I also had to buy a dress for graduation that day, and when I went to put it on half an hour before the ceremony, the zipper busted off as I was pulling it up? Yeah, worst day ever! lol I don't know how I made it through without crying.
We ended up at a wine bar after the ceremony where my brother and I both ended up passing out from exhaustion on the table lol... all while my boyfriend (who had the NAP) was calling us out for being tired.... REALLY?!

Apparently, my bf's estranged brother got stabbed and is on a ventilator. Which really sucks for him, but then he also stabbed his own friend a few years ago so I'm not certain he was an innocent victim. A couple of very bizarre stories have been concocted about the events that led to the stabbing. I shouldn't laugh, but they're kinda funny (whoever came up with it must've been really high). I feel really bad for my bf's mom though, since she has to deal with all of this, and she's a really sweet lady.

The night before I had 2 finals: A comparative vertebrate anatomy final at 7:30 AM and an Animal Development final at 9:30 AM... my parents, brother, and boyfriend showed up and decided to have a bon fire, and get hammered while I tried to CRAM for my finals. Then they thought it would be helpful to steal my binder at 4am (3 hours before my final), and try to quiz me and make fun of all the words they couldn't pronounce.
Then, when I got home at noon after being up for 56 hours and taking 4 hours of finals, I came home to them napping. I never got to sleep that day and then had to sit through a 3 hour graduation ceremony lol.... I hated them all that day lol.
Did I mention I also had to buy a dress for graduation that day, and when I went to put it on half an hour before the ceremony, the zipper busted off as I was pulling it up? Yeah, worst day ever! lol I don't know how I made it through without crying.
We ended up at a wine bar after the ceremony where my brother and I both ended up passing out from exhaustion on the table lol... all while my boyfriend (who had the NAP) was calling us out for being tired.... REALLY?!

at least this isn't my family lol glad you made it through all of that i would beyond pissed at them at that point. so you are clearly a better person then i am considering after being woken up i went and bitched at them and made it very clear that adults have no reason to act like college freshman coming in at 1 in the am and making tons of racket.

at least this isn't my family lol glad you made it through all of that i would beyond pissed at them at that point. so you are clearly a better person then i am considering after being woken up i went and bitched at them and made it very clear that adults have no reason to act like college freshman coming in at 1 in the am and making tons of racket.
I think it had less to do with me being a good person, and more to do with my complete lack of energy to do anything but continue breathing at that point. You had every right to say something. People need to be respectful and sometimes you have to take your future into your own hands (by yelling at other people) lol.

Yeah so... I just got slammed into a guard rail blocking a cliff, by a drunk driver, going 70 mph... at 2:30 pm on a Sunday! What the hell?! :boom: The worst part is, he drove away! Bet your sweet ass I followed him and called the cops! AND WHAT you piece of CRAP?!?!?! :smuggrin:

I hate plants!!! Botany classes are the WORST!

I took the "Plants and Civilization" instead of Botany, hahahahahaha!!! It was actually a really interesting class because it talked about all these plants and how they have affected world history and civilizations but was a heck a lot better then learning all that crap I saw my husband learn. ew. I just eat them - I don't care that much how they work!!! :p

Man, I took botany as a senior.... it was so easy. All the froshies were bitchin and whinin about having to memorize the names of the cell types and the layers of the trunk... hah. Kinda like the vet school freshman and histology. :smuggrin:

Man, I took botany as a senior.... it was so easy. All the froshies were bitchin and whinin about having to memorize the names of the cell types and the layers of the trunk... hah. Kinda like the vet school freshman and histology. :smuggrin:

I have to take general botany and an upper division botany class for my degree. General botany was pathetically easy, don't understand why it's the second most failed class at my university. The upper division class is easy, but would be a lot easier if I had taken it right after general botany. The hardest part about it is that it's BORING beyond belief (primarily fossil based lab) and I have such a hard time motivating myself. And the professor likes to throw random curve balls :thumbdown:

Yeah so... I just got slammed into a guard rail blocking a cliff, by a drunk driver, going 70 mph... at 2:30 pm on a Sunday! What the hell?! :boom: The worst part is, he drove away! Bet your sweet ass I followed him and called the cops! AND WHAT you piece of CRAP?!?!?! :smuggrin:

oh goodness i hope you're okay! i had a similar experience this summer where I was run off the highway into a concrete wall by a semi. he didn't stop either. i was on my way to work at 11:30 at night. scary stuff!

my accident was witnessed by a federal cop who chased down the guy and called his license plate into 911, but since the vehicle never made contact with mine and i was unharmed, we couldn't file a police report or anything :-/

i hope your repair stuff goes better than mine! it took over a month to get the car back in actual working order (over 2 weeks the first time, but they overlooked a couple of major points!) and it still isn't quite right :-/

I have to take general botany and an upper division botany class for my degree. General botany was pathetically easy, don't understand why it's the second most failed class at my university. The upper division class is easy, but would be a lot easier if I had taken it right after general botany. The hardest part about it is that it's BORING beyond belief (primarily fossil based lab) and I have such a hard time motivating myself. And the professor likes to throw random curve balls :thumbdown:

I realized the other day that I went through 5 years of undergrad courses without taking a single plant course. The closest course I have taken would have been Natural History. We learned how to identify plants and why they grow where they do. A few of my classmates created a group for their Plant Diversity class and their posting showed up on my newsfeed for some reason. It must be math or greek because I had no idea what they were talking about.

Drunk drivers SUCK. Glad you are okay.

Not a rant, but just thought I'd update.

My betta, Starburst, just went to the big fish bowl in the sky. Besides popeye, he ended up developing dropsy so I knew it was only a matter of time.And while I am glad he isn't suffering anymore though, I just can't help but feel like I killed him since it happened right after a water change. I know I put the dechlorinator drops in...So while his passing was expected, I wasn't expecting it to happen like that.

These are so cute. But I don't like icing, so there's really no point in me making them... :c

#firstworldproblems?

They are! You could always make them as a gift. :)

Drunk drivers do suck! So much!

Emiloo, glad you're okay!!!

So...rant...I brought my mother-in-law along for my interview at OSU this past weekend. She has always been very interested in vet med and has already seen U of I and Purdue with her geriatric horse. I suppose I should have found out before inviting her whether she was a big snore-r or not, because (of course!) she is! I woke up at 3am the day of my interview and couldn't get back to sleep. :( Very loooong interview day.

On the plus side, I was able to figure out that she stops breathing periodically and recommended she go for a sleep study!

Not a rant, but just thought I'd update.

My betta, Starburst, just went to the big fish bowl in the sky. Besides popeye, he ended up developing dropsy so I knew it was only a matter of time.And while I am glad he isn't suffering anymore though, I just can't help but feel like I killed him since it happened right after a water change. I know I put the dechlorinator drops in...So while his passing was expected, I wasn't expecting it to happen like that.

So sorry to hear! Rest in peace little buddy.
I had a betta develop dropsy once. I think he went on for 3 months with the condition. I suddenly left my dorm room due to stress and left him with a friend for two weeks with specific instructions. Her daughter convinced her she was not feeding him enough so when I got him back, his tank was moldy, polluted and he had dropsy. Unfortunately, dropsy is one of those things you cannot cure.
In an odd way, you are making me miss keeping bettas. It sucks when they get sick, but they are so fun to have around. I miss the little wiggle dance they do when they know you are going to feed them.

I'm sorry for your loss, orca :( Bettas are great fish.

And emiloo, I'm glad you're ok!

I'm sorry that ETS is screwing you guys over. Hopefully schools will notice that they converted old scores and percentiles and take that into account.

I am very homesick and I haven't even been away from home for two weeks. I am going home on Friday for over three weeks, but first I have to conquer 5 exams. I know it's nothing compared to what the vet students are dealing with, but I am just so done with this semester and the state of Michigan. I want to go back to the dirty south where it is warm and I can lay around my house with my puppies all day and do nothing. 6 days..:(

Warm? I wore three jackets this weekend and was still freezing. And I heard the same about the weather in Florida (Pensacola), where my old barn went to a horse show. Maybe it's warmer compared to other states, but still really cold. It's the wind that sucks so much. :(

So sorry to hear! Rest in peace little buddy.
I had a betta develop dropsy once. I think he went on for 3 months with the condition. I suddenly left my dorm room due to stress and left him with a friend for two weeks with specific instructions. Her daughter convinced her she was not feeding him enough so when I got him back, his tank was moldy, polluted and he had dropsy. Unfortunately, dropsy is one of those things you cannot cure.
In an odd way, you are making me miss keeping bettas. It sucks when they get sick, but they are so fun to have around. I miss the little wiggle dance they do when they know you are going to feed them.

They are fun little fish. I've had three and each of them had such different personalities but they always got excited to see someone approach their bowl. I'll definitely get another one at some point, but not until I can afford to get a better set up.

And thanks everyone else for the condolences.

And I'm glad you're okay Emiloo4! I think I would have been too shocked to chase down the guy.

Last edited:
They are fun little fish. I've had three and each of them had such different personalities but they always got excited to see someone approach their bowl. I'll definitely get another one at some point, but not until I can afford to get a better set up.

And thanks everyone else for the condolences.

And I'm glad your okay Emiloo4! I think I would have been too shocked to chase down the guy.
I was in shock, but I was much more pissed off. I'm nice until people mess with me and them I'm a terror! lol I have a real problem with people getting away with crap. Maybe because my little brother always got away with murder ;-). I was definitely shaking the whole time I was on the phone with 911 and my foot was pulsing the accelerator from shaking so bad lol.

I have a 5 gallon tank at home in the attic that is perfect for a betta. I am patiently awaiting the day when I can set it up again! I am holding out for soo many things: an aquarium, a dog, perhaps a horse (or at least riding lessons)... a car would be nice too. I just need the time, the money and the room for all of them.

I did not realize that fish could be so personable until I started owning multiple bettas. I have had mellow bettas, aggressive bettas, hyper-active bettas and bettas that fell in between those categories. I had a deformed betta (got a half-moon betta for cheap because his tail was almost gone when he arrived at the pet shop... and it only half-grew back for some reason). I also kept a different species, known as Peaceful Bettas: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Betta&species=imbellis
Mine were rather brown and wild-looking, but they were pretty cool!

Enough talk of bettas. I was kind of excited to hear that other people keep them and it makes me miss my betta-keeping days.