RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess people looked straight past my main point and criticized the little stuff I wrote, and it annoyed me that no one was taking it for what it was. Better work on my communication for vet school I guess lol.

Or more importantly, for actual practice! Take it as client communications 101 :). Clients notoriously ignore the big picture of what you say and love to focus on the irrelevant little details that somehow advances whatever agenda they have. And somehow that leads to board complaints, law suits, or just annoying/belligerent client. The earlier you get used to it, the better :D.

Members don't see this ad.

Maddie, I am truly, really sorry for all of your issues. So not fair. However, the use of the word asshat makes me :D.

Hope things look up - SOON!

Thanks girl. Issues come and go, but for me they seem to come in heaps and all at once. I guess that's better than having issues constantly. Not sure. :rolleyes:

We put down my 13yo Lab in Feb 2010 for a splenic tumor. It could have been removed through surgery, of course, but at that age and with such an awesome life behind her, we decided it would be her time to go. Having worked in small animal, I've seen the old dogs that go through exploratories and it isn't always the best way for them to go. We've also opened dogs up to remove a spleen and found cancer everywhere inside and had to euth on the table. I didn't want to go through the surgery (the cost, the treatments, the rehab) and have it end up being that she never really recovered and felt miserable. I was sad since it technically "could" be fixed, but I think we made the right decision for her.

See what the radiologist has to say, see what the biopsy has to say. I think the answer will present itself to you - either way a tough call.

So sorry to hear about your pup! It's never an easy decision when it's placed in our hands. I feel like as long as the animal doesn't suffer unnecessarily there isn't a wrong call. Ultimately, you gave your baby an amazing life for as long as you could and others should be so fortunately. We rescued Colby the day before he was to be euthanized at a shelter. That was almost 11 years ago. As hard as this is to go through, I take a little comfort in knowing that we gave him that much more time than he would have had.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's worse in Texas. We had a dusting (literally a dusting, it was gone in an hour or so) last year and they closed down the entire campus. Why? Because people can't drive :annoyed:

I love it when it "snows" here... schools close, offices send employees home and those of us that know how to get around get a free day of vacation!!!

When I first moved here we had an "ice event" and there were something like 800 accidents in the first 2 hours!! The next day on my way to work it looked like rapture had occurred with abandoned vehicles everywhere. :rofl:

boyfriend is in NYC until Friday night.
RANT :thumbdown: OR :thumbup: RAVE ??
so conflicted lol :confused:

Or more importantly, for actual practice! Take it as client communications 101 :). Clients notoriously ignore the big picture of what you say and love to focus on the irrelevant little details that somehow advances whatever agenda they have. And somehow that leads to board complaints, law suits, or just annoying/belligerent client. The earlier you get used to it, the better :D.
SO very true lol.

I live in a place that gets snow... and lots of it... every single winter. And people still DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. We had our first winter storm two weeks ago. 80 accidents were reported. Also, thinking back to last year, we had a warm spell for two weeks in early spring that melted all of the snow and then we got a light dusting. The number of accidents reported were crazy. They even had a story on the news titled "Do people forget they know how to drive in the winter?" (or something like that). The stupid. It hurts.

boyfriend is in NYC until Friday night.
RANT :thumbdown: OR :thumbup: RAVE ??
so conflicted lol :confused:

RAVE! Imagine all of the things you can accomplish until he gets back. Or, you could sulk and dig a small hole for yourself and hunker down to wait. Listen to the crickets.....watch the stars come out....

I guess I'm too creative for my own good. If you're gonna be hardcore cause you don't want to be half@$s, you might as well have some fun :p

I live in a place that gets snow... and lots of it... every single winter. And people still DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. We had our first winter storm two weeks ago. 80 accidents were reported. Also, thinking back to last year, we had a warm spell for two weeks in early spring that melted all of the snow and then we got a light dusting. The number of accidents reported were crazy. They even had a story on the news titled "Do people forget they know how to drive in the winter?" (or something like that). The stupid. It hurts.

^Similar rant. Come on, I can't even say that all U.S. states are made unequal cause asshat drivers are everywhere:scared:. They just blame their location :rolleyes: I don't want to be killed by your fast or slow reckless driving. Do the universe a favor and stay the heck home!!!!!!:mad:

RAVE! Imagine all of the things you can accomplish until he gets back. Or, you could sulk and dig a small hole for yourself and hunker down to wait. Listen to the crickets.....watch the stars come out....

I guess I'm too creative for my own good. If you're gonna be hardcore cause you don't want to be half@$s, you might as well have some fun :p

I actually get a lot done when he's around. But I am spending more time on SDN now that he's away. Maybe it has the opposite effect on me?! :laugh:

I love going to a Vet School that doesn't get crazy snow storms! My friends at MizzOU had their first snow day! I <3 California!

Mizzou did NOT have a crazy snow storm - it's just far enough South for people to nut out about snow of any sort.

Cali weather is nice. I'd have gone to Davis with a smile if the tuition were the same as it is for me here.

(I can hear the admin laughing at the idea of admitting me... allll the way from here. Haha.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a stupid head cold. Complete with plugged ears, nose, sneezing, coughing, sore throat and headache. It just started yesterday but is already driving me nuts. And to top it off: I am really starting to think that I am not going to get an interview invite to any of the US schools I applied to. I am just done with this process; I am worn out. I just want to be accepted; I know that I will make a great vet if just given the chance. Ok. End Rant. Time for a good bottle of Nyquil and hopefully some sleep before work tomorrow.

I love going to a Vet School that doesn't get crazy snow storms! My friends at MizzOU had their first snow day! I <3 California!

hehe me too. you know what's better than no snow storms? year round85 degree temps and being able to swim in the ocean all the time. :smuggrin: (sorry everyone else! i've just recently discovered the amazingness of the ocean next to my dorm-it took over 3 months, it's sad haha)

No.

Mizzou did not have a "crazy snowstorm" and a "snow day". We had an inch of snow on the ground, a complete mental meltdown of the whole city, and half the class wander in like two hours late.

WEAK SAUCE.

(though assuming your Cali friend is who I think she is, I am proud of her handling of snow :) )

My rant: Antibiotic resistant UTI. I hate cranberries at this point.

That's where I was today. :(

"Huh, good thing it's not in your kidneys yet." is not what I wanted to hear!!!

What an idiot. Hopefully he/she at least gave you something stronger. Have you taken cipro yet? Always works for me.

What an idiot. Hopefully he/she at least gave you something stronger. Have you taken cipro yet? Always works for me.

That's what they put me on while they do the culture and sensitivity. Hopefully this will be the end of it!

Blergh. Lady problems.

Just got a super bitchy email from my genetics professor - she is not a pleasant person and everyone in my department highly dislikes her. Can't wait till this semester is over so I can go back to pretending she doesn't exist :rolleyes:

That's what they put me on while they do the culture and sensitivity. Hopefully this will be the end of it!

Blergh. Lady problems.

Just don't eat dairy within a few hours of taking it. Or else..

Work rant: Client brings in her 8 year old pregnant chihuahua that is DOA. The dr. then opens up her abdomen (with clients permission) to see if we could save the puppies (puppies were around 50-55 days in gestation and were already deceased). So we closed mother back up. Client is an elderly lady who is talking on the phone with someone (not sure if it was a friend or relative) but she has me explain what happened to the lady on the phone. So I tell the lady that unfortunately the puppies were too young and were already deceased so we could not save them. The lady then tells me, "Well we bred her again to see if we could get another puppy that looked similar to a puppy she had in a previous litter. Do you know if any of the puppies looked like that puppy?" This lady was being completely serious. She did not seem upset that the mother had died at all. Grrr... really because that is a brilliant reason to be breeding your 8 year old dog. :mad:

Work rant: Client brings in her 8 year old pregnant chihuahua that is DOA. The dr. then opens up her abdomen (with clients permission) to see if we could save the puppies (puppies were around 50-55 days in gestation and were already deceased). So we closed mother back up. Client is an elderly lady who is talking on the phone with someone (not sure if it was a friend or relative) but she has me explain what happened to the lady on the phone. So I tell the lady that unfortunately the puppies were too young and were already deceased so we could not save them. The lady then tells me, "Well we bred her again to see if we could get another puppy that looked similar to a puppy she had in a previous litter. Do you know if any of the puppies looked like that puppy?" This lady was being completely serious. She did not seem upset that the mother had died at all. Grrr... really because that is a brilliant reason to be breeding your 8 year old dog. :mad:

Hmm, sounds like some of the people we deal with at our clinic. We had a couple ask if they would be able to breed their 8 month old pit bull who had just been hit by a car, which fractured her pelvis.

WHAT!?

I just ate a vat of frozen yogurt...

MNgas-explosion.jpg

Time for a good bottle of Nyquil and hopefully some sleep before work tomorrow.

It might be lack of sleep, but this made me giggle. I imagined you walking into your NyQuil cellar and choosing a particularly good vintage.

Hope you feel better (physically and mentally) soon!

cancer *&^%$ sucks

Mandibulectomy went well, & for the most part he's recovering well from that. However, biopsy from second tumor found in ear came back squamous as well. I'm going to lose my boy, it's just a matter of when. :-( I cannot focus & finals are on Monday.

Last edited:
MASH was a great show (it wasn't "before my time"). I remember when it went off the air and people had "final eipisode parties" at their homes and invited friends. It was the first time that I can recall a TV show's being a "cult phenomenon" like that (later Seinfeld and others followed suit). Anyway...Harry Morgan will be missed by all MASH fans, indeed.

I am younger than TT and I have been a fan since I was 12 (my mom was a fan and used to watch it around me). It came on tv M-F at 5:00pm (dinner time!) so I grew up eating my dinner to it. One summer, instead of M*A*S*H coming on at 5, they showed Dragnet, so I got to know Harry Morgan a little better. The other year, I finally completed my collection of M*A*S*H DVDs. :D. So yeah, I was quite sad when I heard the news. I have been half-tempted to write some of the remaining cast to tell them how much I loved their show and what it ment to me, but I don't know.

Trematode-Yeah...go ahead and write to them! It's nice for people to hear that they've touched a life. A friend in California once had her car break down on a quiet road at night, and a man stopped to help her. That nice man turned out to be Alan Alda! So, he's a stand-up guy in real life. Hot Lips Hoolihan is also supposed to be a real nice person from what I've heard. Not enough people follow through with intentions, so I vote "yes" on writing to the remaining cast and telling your story of dinners at 5:00 with MASH.

And when someone offers advice that isn't the best, it deserves to be criticized. I certainly hope that the times I throw bad advice out somebody corrects me so that my ego pays the price rather than somebody who listens to me.
Amen. Got my self chewed out about that yesterday. I try and balance it but then people start nitpicking and then I shut my mouth for awhile. Then they ask "Why aren't you talking? It is something I said??" :laugh:
"Huh, good thing it's not in your kidneys yet." is not what I wanted to hear!!!
Yeah. I let my one go for too long. *TMI WARNING:* When I took the urine test, I'm pretty sure my urine was almost black....but my memory fails. It might have been apple juice tinted....

... does nobody watch M*A*S*H?
I play(ed) MASH. Does that count???:confused: :rofl: Oh those games are fun...

I play(ed) MASH. Does that count???:confused: :rofl: Oh those games are fun...

Hahahaha I forgot about that game! We always played MASH C so that we had a chance of living in a castle too! :laugh:

I'm already everything but motivated and focused for my last final tomorrow in histology, but it is endlessly more painful and distracting knowing that Virginia Tech is under alert for a gunman on campus. it makes me worry for all of the people I know and love that are currently there and it makes my heart ache for all of my good friends who lost friends in 2007 or were directly involved in the incident. :( <3 VT

I'm already everything but motivated and focused for my last final tomorrow in histology, but it is endlessly more painful and distracting knowing that Virginia Tech is under alert for a gunman on campus. it makes me worry for all of the people I know and love that are currently there and it makes my heart ache for all of my good friends who lost friends in 2007 or were directly involved in the incident. :( <3 VT

Just saw this on CNN - praying everyone is okay!

I have two friends at the vet school. They're in lockdown, just waiting it out :(

first off, praying for everyone at vtech right now -- i live in VA and have friends at VT so really hope the best for everyone there :xf:

second...went to the freaking dentist today and got the first part of a root canal, a filling, and a wisdom tooth extracted. pain isn't too bad right now (took 600mg of advil!!!!) but debating about what to eat right now. currently i have green tea ice cream, yogurt, apple sauce in the house. thinking of getting a wendy's frosty and some mashed potatoes maybe...hate this :(

Professor... how do YOU not know whether I can use excel on the exam or not!? Seriously. I'm going to be really pissed if I can't use the program I've been told to by my ebook the entire semester... :mad

Edit: Okay, excel was available and I seriously beasted my exam (97!) Rant turned rave, now.

Last edited:

so this shaped up to be the second worst day of this semester. devastated by what happened today and angry to read and hear people say things like "what's up with Virginia Tech breeding crazy people" the Hokie Nation is home to thousands of people. Blacksburg has to be one of the nicest, most loving, and safest communities there is. We are proud and grateful to be Hokies every minute of every day. The officer who died today joined the force 5 years ago because he loved the community and the Hokie Nation so much. "What's a Hokie? I am. And try as you might, unless you are a Hokie, you can never truly understand."

i will be lucky to get a B on this exam tomorrow, but I am beyond caring at this point. all I want now is to be home with the people who love me most