Re-app WAMC/school list (3.9/519)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinalhernia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Really wish I wasn't posting on this forum again but hoping to get some advice. I'm on 2 WLs and looking down the barrel at re-applying. I got 4 interviews the first time with 2 Rs and 2 WLs, so I know I need to improve my interview skills. My main changes since last cycle have been adding a little bit more shadowing, significantly more clinical hours, and about 60 more non-clinical volunteer hours. Will be doing some mock-interviews for sure. But I want to make sure I'm in a good spot school-list wise. I did remove some top tier and add more mid-tier compared to last cycle, and any insight would be helpful! Thanks!
  1. GPA: cGPA 3.94, sGPA 3.91
  2. MCAT: 519 (129/130/129/131)
  3. Residency: Colorado resident, grew up in Oregon
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Colorado state schools
  6. Clinical experience(volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. ~2800 hours working in Urgent Care (paid). I'm a preceptor so this is a leadership experience as well
    2. 60 hours as COVID contact tracer (paid)
    3. 50 hours as caregiver for woman with MS (volunteer)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 470 hours working in a sleep research lab. No pubs, but did several journal club presentations. Performed and interpreted EEGs, took vitals, drew blood, ran cognitive tests. Was also a shift leader for our study shifts, so this is my main leadership experience too
  8. Shadowing: 52 hours between ER, primary care, anesthesia, and surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. 170 hours in food bank, working directly with community by taking them 'shopping' through the aisles
    2. 18 hours teaching ballet to kids with developmental disabilities (stopped due to COVID)
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. 45 hours as TA in anatomy class
    2. Aerial dancing, ballet
  11. Relevant honors or awards: none
School List:
  • University of Wisconsin
  • OHSU - interviewed, R
  • University of Vermont
  • Tulane
  • UCLA
  • VCU
  • University of Colorado
  • Albert Einstein - interviewed, R
  • Ohio State
  • Emory
  • UCSD
  • University of Cincinatti
  • University of Iowa
  • UCSF
  • Brown
  • USC Keck
  • Kaiser
  • University of Pittsburgh - interviewed, WL
  • Mt Sinai
  • University of Michigan
  • Duke
  • Cornell - interviewed, WL
  • Northwestern
  • University of Virginia
  • Vanderbilt
  • Columbia
  • University of Chicago
  • Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Let's hope one of your WLs turns to an A. You definitely improved your experience hours so you hopefully will get a little more attention in a reapp, but we will see. I don't know if you can get feedback from either of the schools that sent you a post interview R, but it may help if you were to reapply to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah - do a mock interview, see what problems you had with interview skills (if any). It is possible that you were just unlucky, but make sure that that is the case. Good luck with everything.

Let's hope one of your WLs turns to an A. You definitely improved your experience hours so you hopefully will get a little more attention in a reapp, but we will see. I don't know if you can get feedback from either of the schools that sent you a post interview R, but it may help if you were to reapply to them.
OHSU provides feedback - I sent them a request and just waiting to hear back. I’ll ask Einstein too, thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah - do a mock interview, see what problems you had with interview skills (if any). It is possible that you were just unlucky, but make sure that that is the case. Good luck with everything.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Will def be doing the mock interview and making sure I’m set on that front.