Really? You can't honestly be serious..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Chowder

Go big or go home.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Um ok...
Normally i'm a huge fan of minding my own business.. but yesterday Im in class and I hear these people talking (they were by no means quiet)
Joe: "Hell yea I just graduated from the university of ***********, man college was rough, but its all good cause C's get degrees!!"
Jane: "So why are you in the Junior College?"
Joe:"Im going to medical school"
Me:"....."
Jane: " Thats great, I want to go too!"

Prof. Overheard " You two had better be sure to get good grades in the class ( joking) you know medical schools require excellent grades!"
Jane: " Actually I beg to differ, I have thoroughly researched the topic and you actually only need mostly B's and C's with a couple A's mixed in there"
Me " !.!....!!!...!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!" :scared::scared::roflcopter::smack::smack::smack::smack:
Prof: Smiles.. " Riiight"

People like this Urk the living $hit out of me. At the end of the class I gave them both the mdapplicants.com website and told them to look around there to get an Idea of what grades are typical of admission..

Wow...

Members don't see this ad.

Reminds me of myself a couple years back.They'll grow out of it or get out of it.

Why does it irk you? Sounds trivial...

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

who cares what other people are thinking or doing? you're on the right track, so feel good about that and ignore the other stuff.

Ohh you must think the same way.. Ok I'm sorry, I'll stop raggin on yyou cognitively challenged folks..
Carry on..

Why would that IRK you? It's kind of funny in a sad way, and it's less competition for you to wade through. Not your job to correct their ignorance (unless of course you were asked, in which case kindly and humbly offering information is in order)...anything else pretty much makes you a tool.

Ohh you must think the same way.. Ok I'm sorry, I'll stop raggin on yyou cognitively challenged folks..
Carry on..

i think iTool was saying that it seems strange that you are so bothered by other people's misconceptions-- misconceptions that don't affect you in any way. i don't think that means he's cognitively challenged :rolleyes:

Why should it irk you? Look at it this way: if they continue to take that attitude, it makes less competition for you. :D They'll figure it out eventually.

Riiiiggghttt.. by the way I didnt correct them, I do not know where it says I did but I didnt..

Its just flat out annoying is all! This chick ( very pompously) told our professor that she was wrong and that she knew exactly what is needed,
I guess im more pissed off about someone thinking they know what they are talking about, and not actually knowing what they are talking about/

Last edited:
Amusing how many people have corrected your spelling of IRK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jane: " Actually I beg to differ, I have thoroughly researched the topic and you actually only need mostly B's and C's with a couple A's mixed in there"

Maybe she's applying to the Caribbean? Some Caribbean schools let anyone in, as long as they have the money.

It shouldn't irk you at all. You must have some feeling of entitlement for respect and awe from your peers at how hard it is to get into medical school.

hahas I guess I should'nt study that hard for any of my classes. or maybe change my career into being a doctor since anyone could get into medical school with B's and C's

2005_0308_urkel.jpg

Um ok...
Normally i'm a huge fan of minding my own business.. but yesterday Im in class and I hear these people talking (they were by no means quiet)
Joe: "Hell yea I just graduated from the university of ***********, man college was rough, but its all good cause C's get degrees!!"
Jane: "So why are you in the Junior College?"
Joe:"Im going to medical school"
Me:"....."
Jane: " Thats great, I want to go too!"

Prof. Overheard " You two had better be sure to get good grades in the class ( joking) you know medical schools require excellent grades!"
Me " !.!....!!!...!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!" :scared::scared::roflcopter::smack::smack::smack::smack:

People like this Urk the living $hit out of me. At the end of the class I gave them both the mdapplicants.com website and told them to look around there to get an Idea of what grades are typical of admission..

Wow...

mdapps does not represent the the total applicant pool well at all. If you were trying to scare them tho, you probably succeeded.

I wonder where this person was getting this info that Bs and Cs will easily get one into medical school because i've never even seen a non-reputable website claiming this.

Carry on..
That's pretty immature of you... and it explains the original post, and why you were so easily incensed.

I do not think you should be so angry from overhearing something that has nothing to do with you. Jane and Joe are misinformed, but why would that make you so angry/upset? Even if they were being arrogant and rude, it was not directed at you.

I think it is good that you decided to help them get a little more informed. Telling them about AAMC data might have been the better option, but whateves. Either way, your little rant was kind of silly.

Sadly, it makes me feel better that people who think this way apply to med school. Increase that number by maybe 100 or 200 and I suddenly feel a little better about my application.

Sadly, it makes me feel better that people who think this way apply to med school. Increase that number by maybe 100 or 200 and I suddenly feel a little better about my application.

I don't think their existence has much of an impact except maybe to make things like GPA and MCAT more important as med schools then have more aps to sift through and need efficient ways to do it. The real question is how many insanely exemplary applicants there are in a given year. Those are the ones I'd worry about. :scared:

I don't think their existence has much of an impact except maybe to make things like GPA and MCAT more important as med schools then have more aps to sift through and need efficient ways to do it. The real question is how many insanely exemplary applicants there are in a given year. Those are the ones I'd worry about. :scared:

Very true..at least no one has to worry about me hahah.

I wonder where this person was getting this info that Bs and Cs will easily get one into medical school because i've never even seen a non-reputable website claiming this.
I don't think they said it was easy. They said that it happens.

I think a combination of Bs and Cs with scatterings of As has actually worked for some people.

Of course these people were not talking about D.O schools AT ALL Everyone shares the same idea about D.O schools as they do on SDN.

Hell, I'll take it. More room for me.

Riiiiggghttt.. by the way I didnt correct them, I do not know where it says I did but I didnt..

Its just flat out annoying is all! This chick ( very pompously) told our professor that she was wrong and that she knew exactly what is needed,
I guess im more pissed off about someone thinking they know what they are talking about, and not actually knowing what they are talking about/

simmer down. I wonder how anal you get IRL when things of substance actually happen.

Guys - don't you see? It Irks him cuz OP is a model. Remember that other thread where OP asked whether extensive modeling experience for Nike, Macy's, A and Fitch, Hollister, etc was worth putting on AMCAS? Being a model makes one a representation of perfection, and the mere sight (or sound) of something out of place is enough to annoy anybody!

I actually agree with the OP on two accounts.

One, it really gets on my nerves when someone tells everyone around them some facts and acts all smirk and cocky about it... and the facts they have are false. Man that pisses me off just thinking about it.

Secondly, people that got C's and D's and then told all their friends they were going to Medical School bothers me a bit too. It lowers the reputation of the profession. That guy will soon realize he has no chance of getting in but instead of manning up to it he tells his friends "nah i could have got in, but I just changed my interest to being a nurse's aid". His friends will go on in life assuming that every medical student and doctor spent his college days drinking and parting and getting C's and D's. And since most of us had to forego these pleasures and spend many a night studying, it bothers me a little bit.

There are some things in life you shouldn't get worked up about. In fact, you can look longingly at the ignorant bliss of some individuals before their "lives come crashing down". Then they end up in PA school and make as much as many primary care physicians with half the debt. C'est la vie. Worry about yourself.

I agree, not with you OP, sorry, but everyone else. This shouldn't bother you at all. You shouldn't have to worry about being "more right" then they are, in fact, it makes you look like a jerk. Trying to prove them wrong in this situation only makes you look like you want to seem better than them.

A couple of my friends got to talking about the other post on here about the AMA response to the public insurance topic. There was much talk on SDN about the comments left on the NYTimes site concerning the article. The typical talk about the "doctors are greedy...doctors care about golf...blah blah."

One of my friends got a little annoyed, and I did at first, about the comments left. I brush it off pretty quickly cause I tend to get a laugh out of stuff like that. Anyways - my point - sure you can go around and correct everyone, because they are clearly, or not clearly wrong; however, why?

I don't mean to attack you, but I use to be the same way. I got worked up over trivial crap about people being wrong, and I had to speak and prove them wrong. However, informing them about "what's what" is pretty cool. I mean, giving the some insight on things they should look at. For instance, the MDApps site was cool of you, but if it came from a position of belittling or fear, well that's pretty mean. Instead of getting annoyed and "irked" try to be more helpful and try and explain to them maybe think about it more seriously. Provide your opinion, but prepare for rejection if it comes.

Cliche as it can be remember: "Treat other as you like to be treated." I am sure you wouldn't want someone to demean you and show you up. Anyways, hopefully you will try and approach things more calm and understandingly.

Take care.

I actually agree with the OP on two accounts.

One, it really gets on my nerves when someone tells everyone around them some facts and acts all smirk and cocky about it... and the facts they have are false. Man that pisses me off just thinking about it.

Secondly, people that got C's and D's and then told all their friends they were going to Medical School bothers me a bit too. It lowers the reputation of the profession. That guy will soon realize he has no chance of getting in but instead of manning up to it he tells his friends "nah i could have got in, but I just changed my interest to being a nurse's aid". His friends will go on in life assuming that every medical student and doctor spent his college days drinking and parting and getting C's and D's. And since most of us had to forego these pleasures and spend many a night studying, it bothers me a little bit.

i don't think there's much that could make people think that suddenly doctors are no longer respectable... especially not random people bragging about going to med school with bad grades. let's not be so melodramatic, peeps.

Guys - don't you see? It Irks him cuz OP is a model. Remember that other thread where OP asked whether extensive modeling experience for Nike, Macy's, A and Fitch, Hollister, etc was worth putting on AMCAS? Being a model makes one a representation of perfection, and the mere sight (or sound) of something out of place is enough to annoy anybody!

Regardless of this post or my last one...

I will always PWN you in Brood war..
Big Game Hunters? Bring it..

On another note, people are saying I should have other things to worry about and its immature of me, in general that may be true, but when im sitting in the same mind numbingly boring class for 3.5 hours a day 5 days a week with these people, the comments start to get aggravating. Oh and by the way thanks for the English lesson everyone, ( truth be told I really cant spell and prolly depend on spell check a bit to heavily. ) I kind of find it comical how people tell me I shouldnt let things like that get on my nerves.. and yet 10+ folks correct my bad spelling.. :p

Just my .02

The more time you spend in other people's drama the less time you have for your own success. I had a couple of classemates that had these type of thoughts as well. I just flat out said in a review session (who the heck knows why they were talking about med school stuff when we were reviewing o-chem), "you can't get into medical school with that 2.? GPA" and just went on with my own life. I was hated by those students, but whatever. I have my own life to live.

This is an awesome mentality to have. I'd say I had a mindset close to what the OP has when I first started college. Now I am a senior and can say there is no need to judge and bash people who don't investigate as much as you. There must be people of lower "caliber" in this world.... If not, it would be impossible to climb over them to the top....

Just my .02$

Reminds me of myself a couple years back.They'll grow out of it or get out of it.

I wish you were referring to the guy who started this thread... he needs to grow up.

You obviously don't actually care for the future of these students or else you would have maybe had a conversation about how getting into med school has become increasingly difficult.

So the only other reason I can see that you would tell them to look at mdapps or w/e is an attempt to belittle them and to stroke your own ego.

Posts like these remind me of why I have not logged into SDN for a few months...Disillusioned SDN super nerds with 0 life experience and no idea how the real world works....

You will come into contact with these type of people almost every single day of your life in the real world. When you leave your bubble and join the rest of us here in reality, you will soon learn that getting worked up over other peoples ignorance of any concievable topic ONLY BOTHERS YOU, and only stresses YOU out... +5 and agree with the rest of the comments on this thread...

I don't think they said it was easy. They said that it happens.

I think a combination of Bs and Cs with scatterings of As has actually worked for some people.

Me....but the Bs and Cs were mostly on the freshman/sophomore side of thing with the A's and B+'s on the junior/senior/post bac side...excluding 2 C+'s in biochem and organic II.

haha

this was blown way out of proportion.

The second I decided to pursue medical school, i looked into the requirements and typical stat's. Why would anyone not do that? How would you even know what you were supposed to do, just wing it?

I'm glad everyone isn't well informed though, less competition.

Better for them to wallow in ignorance, I'd say.