MD Reapp with 3.67/37, several new ECs. Chance me?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAWG4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was a Neurobio and Biochem double major at University of Washington. I applied narrowly last year( in July) to 10, mostly top schools, and only had one interview at UW med. I've kept working in a research lab at the University of Washington, my PI really likes me and I will have a great LOR from him.

Have a 3.67 gpa with lots of difficult classes and a 37 MCAT that is 14BS/12PS/11VR. Not underrepresented(white male).

Last year my EC's were as follows:

2 years of undergrad research
-no paper but made a poster, learned a lot of molecular biology, good LOR
Fraternity member 4 years- I think it was a valuable experience that really helped me break out of my shell and become a much more socially aware and personable individual.
Scholarship Chair of fraternity 1 year- I administered the scholarship program doing things like holding study tables, individual tutoring, created an incentive system etc
Vice President of Fraternity- Helped the president handle internal matters and advised younger officers
Valet 4 years- Ran around and parked cars to partially support myself for 10-20 hours a week
Mary Gates Scholar- Wrote an original research proposal and won a scholarship to support my project
Presented poster at Undergraduate Research Symposium
Shadowed a Family medicine Dr
that specializes in geriatrics- 30 hours. I will likely have more in the upcoming months
Shadowed a Radiologist- 25 hours. He was also head of the department and did research so it was interesting to see other aspects of medicine

I also have spent more than a month admitted to the hospital as a patient and think it helped inform my understanding of medicine.

I have since added:
Volunteer at Treehouse foundation(30 hrs)- Tutoring foster kids in math and science
Volunteer at an AIDS hospice(80 hrs)- Spend almost of time with patients helping with emotional support, activities.Can't do any thing medical because of transmission risk
First author publication- in OK journal
Presentation at huge conference- Society for neuroscience national conference if you're curious.
More Fam Medicine shadowing (40 hrs)
Shadowing General Suregon (25 hrs)

Overall, I will be applying early and I think my activity log and PS will be much better after talking to ad com members from two schools. AKA I've gotten better at playing the game.

Last year I completed secondaries at:
UW
UCSF
Stanford
UofM
Tufts
Boston U
Rochester
Rush
UofO

I know I need to add more but I'm not sure which. Right now thinking of UCIrvine, USC, Colorado, and 10 more semi-randomly selected from the MSAR. Hopefully schools that like research.

......Do I have a chance this year???

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You just need to add more schools, aim for ~20 at least. You have a strong application now.

Some recommendations: Case Western, USC, Emory, Northwestern, Pitt, NYU, Sinai, Einstein, Temple, Jefferson, Miami, UVa, Ohio State, Vermont

Thanks! I had Case Western, Northwestern, and Miami on my list last year adn foolishly didn't end up applying. I will look into others though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I had Case Western, Northwestern, and Miami on my list last year adn foolishly didn't end up applying. I will look into others though!
Adding more schools that are difficult to get into does not help your chances. You need many more schools where you would have a good chance for an interview such as:
Hofstra
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane

Your ECs are not top school quality and with that GPA it will be a little difficult for those schools (I'm in a similar position). Need to add more mid-tiers that aren't top heavy

Thanks for the help with my school list. I'm not too familiar with schools outside of the west coast and the MSAR has a lot of data in it.

You're ultra heavy on research, light on service and altruism. I do like hospice work and for me that would carry you over the accept line. So keep that up and you should have better luck this cycle. And apply early!

I suggest:

UW
UCSF OR Stanford
Tufts
Boston U
Rochester
Einstein
Cornell OR Columbia
Pitt OR Northwestern
USC
U AZ
U CO
U VM
Loyola
The Philly Triplets
U Miami
Tulane
Tufts
Hofstra

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to researching schools tonight.

I also forgot to mention 50 hours of clean up and tree planting I did at a local park during undergrad, not that I expect that to have a significant impact.

You're ultra heavy on research, light on service and altruism. I do like hospice work and for me that would carry you over the accept line. So keep that up and you should have better luck this cycle. And apply early!

I suggest:

UW
UCSF OR Stanford
Tufts
Boston U
Rochester
Einstein
Cornell OR Columbia
Pitt OR Northwestern
USC
U AZ
U CO
U VM
Loyola
The Philly Triplets
U Miami
Tulane
Tufts
Hofstra

This is the best list you'll get. If you want some more reaches consider Case Western Emory USC Mayo Rochester Miami. Also consider Saint Louis Creighton Eastern Virginia Loyola Rush Oakland Western Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user