Reapplicant 3.65 34 BUT with Circumstance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabilesmail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone mind taking a look at my school list, any other suggestions for low tier/new med schools

UCLA- reach But in state and I think I fit mission
UCLA-Drew- Reach but I have a lot of work with underserved/kinda what I want to do
UCSF- Reach
UCSD-Reach
UCI
UCD
USC- Alma
EINSTEIN - Received II last year
JEFFERSON - Received II last year
ALBANY- Received II last year
HOFSTRA- Received II last year
NYMC
PENN-STATE
Drexel
Temple
Cooper
Virginia Tech
Quinnipac
George Washington
Rosaland Franklin
Dartmouth- Reach but gotta try right?
Virginia commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
University of Vermont
St. Louis University
University of South Florida
West Virginia University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush University

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, so I may need to reapply this upcoming cycle (most likely). I applied pretty late in the 2012-2013 cycle after taking a July 14 Mcat, and submitting my primaries on August 9th, Verified September 16th, and Secondaries completed Late September- Middle October (with a few after).

I'm going to provide a lot of detailed information here so that an accurate assessment can be done. Thanks and sorry for the wall of text!

I received the following interviews:

Hofstra II December- for January -> rejected
(1 interview went well, one sucked. I understand why i was rejected)

Einstein (complete November) II January for April-> Just attended and will find out. I think this was my best interview so far, average interview last 45 min-1 hr, Mine lasted 70 minutes, was pretty conversational, she thought I had a bunch of interviews (desirable applicant?), and I mentioned many times that Einstein was my top choice. She also wrote down 2 pages of notes which would probably make her presentation of me more detailed.

The problem? Einstein only accepts 30% of Interviewees and even more conservatively towards the end. Will find out result in 4-5 weeks.

Jefferson invite March for April. Attended-> Alt. Waitlist (almost no chance due to a High Priority waitlist). I thought I would of had a better chance. I met both deans, my student interview went really well and she commented that I had a really good answer for why medicine. I flew in early and spent 2 days with medical students, I even went to JeffHope (their student run free clinic) and participated. My faculty interview lasted 20 minutes (average) was very conversational but ultimately didn't have too much substance. He only asked a couple of questions (sports I play, where I live) and I spent 5-7 minutes talking about those. He asked me if I have any questions that I want him to ask me that he hasn't yet- I mentioned the strength and weakness question. I mentioned innovative as a strength with a childhood and current example, and he asked for a weakness in which I said shy (and a ton of reasons for what I'm doing about this (Note: I do not appear shy on the outside, rather I'm friendly and talkative at interviews, it's just I have to get myself to that point, so naturally, I am shy). Ultimately, I felt the interview was conversational and fun, but that I didn't get to answer substantivly about what's important. This was a fault because I think my oral presentation of myself and wanting to be a doctor is much stronger than my written account. (I practiced mock interviews and eventually arrived at responses I did not initially have, more profound, articulate etc...).I don't know why I was alt. waitlisted aside from the fact that EVERYONE has conversational easygoing interviews, so that probably means the application is used more heavily in acceptance processes.

Albany II 4/15 FOR 4/17 (last day) (Sent an In the Area). Seeing as this was for the last interview date and I barely got the invite, I probably consider myself a borderline applicant here. The Interview was MMI, I think I performed GREAT on 2-3, Good on 2-3, and okay/bad on 2-3 (I just got repetitive etc....). Albany also only accepts 30% of post-interviews and more conservatively at the end. Will find out this decision in 1-2 weeks.

I still have a chance of being accepted, but am going to start preparing for the next cycle if not:

MY PROBLEM:

I applied with a 3.74 cpga/sgpa 34N 13-9-12. My senior year Fall semester I got a 2.85 due to focusing on secondaries and burnout. (3 years of school 18+ units most semesters, All winter and Summer vacations I took classes (so no breaks) studied for the MCAT for 7 months during school and during the summer, and immediately started on my application process. I was burnt out, and thought my chances of getting in were High and didn't focus on school as much. BIG MISTAKE!

Spring Semester I will likely also receive a 2.0-3.0 GPA. I got bronchitus during midterm week and didn't do well. My interviews also heavily affected my grades.

Applying again will probably leave me at a 3.5 HOWEVER, I can send in my transcript before my USC spring grades come out leaving me with a 3.65. How? My spring grades are released late May, AAMC accepts transcripts starting early May. My reason will be to have a as early as possible application because of my previous application cycle being hurt due to being late.

So I will have a 3.65 34 MCAT and be as early as possible.
The problem will be my AMCAS will show my senior year GPA as 2.85 despite an overall competitive GPA. IS this a super red flag?

My EC's have also not changed much. This year I pretty much just did hobbies and stayed in my research lab. I did receive a research grant for Spring, and got published to an abstract and will be doing a poster presentation in a couple of weeks, but thats it. I'll probably start volunteering again at my normal clinical place after school ends (May 10th) so that will add 50 ish hours to my already 150 hrs (over 3 summers so far).

Aside from that my EC's are:

Math Mentor-8 week program 3 hrs/week. to Underserved children.

Chemistry Teacher- 8 week program 3 hrs/week. Taught a class with 3 other students to another underserved school.

Created my own Can food drive over a winter vacation and raised 200-300 cans.

Research- 2 years w/ research grant + post presentation (though it is only at the undergrad research symposium)

Care Unit volunteer- Assist veterans in a hospital- 150 hrs over 3 summers (+ 50 new hours?)

Hobbies: football, gym, snowboarding, guitar, piano, drums, (not great at any, I like to survey hobbies).

Shadowing: 80 hours over 2 different weeks. 40 hrs w/ primary care physician in private practice, and 8 hrs x 5 different types of specialized pediatritions(with one 8 hrs shift being with residents)

I've also done private and peer tutoring in chemistry, physics, and MCAT.
(Don't know if I should include, not part of a formal company)

So I really want to be in medical school. I'm extremely goal oriented and obsess over my goals. I pretty much barely passed HS with a 2.0. Started and attended 3 community colleges at a time to make sure I could transfer in 2 years. I also completed my degree in 2 years at my university despite being behind in GE's etc while still making myself able to apply after Junior year to medical school. Point is, I crave to be in medical school and learn my passion. It kills me to know that I will have to reapply, it kills me further to even think about spending another year, but if I will not be able to get in reapplying now because of a grade decline, I'll reapply.

Problem with waiting another year also leads to the same problem. my senior year GPA will now have 1 year of bad grades and I will be applying in one year with a 3.5 34.

I will have more experiences but a lower GPA unless I do a post-back to prove that I still care about my academics. But post bacs are expensive, and I'd rather spend my year off NOT in school.

WHAT DO I DO :/ PLEASE HELP

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hope things work out with Einstein or Albany. But if not...

it seems like your application this cycle will be basically identical to your app from last cycle, but with a lower gpa and downward trend. Is this correct?

You got 4 interviews, that's really good, and definitely not a fluke. But with a lower gpa and a downward trend, your results might be a lot worse. Your numbers have become somewhat borderline, especially because the mcat is not balanced (not criticizing, just pointing out).

I'd say its a really tricky situation, complicated further by the fact that if you skip a cycle and apply in 2014-2015, your gpa will be lower still, correct?

would you agree with my "sparknotes" interpretation of your situation? Like I said, it's tricky, so I don't want to give you advice, but hopefully this will get the discussion going.

Would an ad com potentially see a lower senior year gpa as an inability to handle the rigors of upper division classes given you being a transfer student? I know you have your reasons, and I don't think this to be the case at all. I just don't know where you would have the room to explain your lower GPA prior to being invited to an interview.

I understand your desire to just get in med school, and I wish you all the luck with your remaining schools. If it comes down to it though and you really just want to go somewhere, why not throw in a few of the top tier DO schools? I'm sure they'd jump at you. Personally, I wouldn't apply this coming cycle, but if you seem really adamant on trying again so I'd suggest applying to a broader range of schools. I just took a quick glance and although you applied to a LOT of schools, it seems like nearly half were relatively top heavy schools (duke, columbia, northwestern, upenn, ucla, rochester, mayo, baylor, harvard, ucsf, yale, darthmouth, cornell, wash u, nyu, ucsd, upenn, pitt, u mich, vandy).

Edit: You could also consider replacing your LoRs with ones that are great since you don't seem confident in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah its definitely tricky, I would be reapplying with

lower GPA/terrible trend but overall still strong GPA , slightly better EC , SUPER EARLY (which is worth A LOT!) and I feel like I understand the writing process more, I think I will be able to write a better PS/Activity descriptions.

Would an ad com potentially see a lower senior year gpa as an inability to handle the rigors of upper division classes given you being a transfer student? I know you have your reasons, and I don't think this to be the case at all. I just don't know where you would have the room to explain your lower GPA prior to being invited to an interview.

I understand your desire to just get in med school, and I wish you all the luck with your remaining schools. If it comes down to it though and you really just want to go somewhere, why not throw in a few of the top tier DO schools? I'm sure they'd jump at you. Personally, I wouldn't apply this coming cycle, but if you seem really adamant on trying again so I'd suggest applying to a broader range of schools. I just took a quick glance and although you applied to a LOT of schools, it seems like nearly half were relatively top heavy schools (duke, columbia, northwestern, upenn, ucla, rochester, mayo, baylor, harvard, ucsf, yale, darthmouth, cornell, wash u, nyu, ucsd, upenn, pitt, u mich, vandy).

Yeah I applied to top heavy, but some of those I didn't fill the secondaries for, and some are still my state schools (ucsd,ucla,ucsf).

Overall it was about 14 top tier/state, 10 mid tier , 10 low tier/safety

with the adcom thing:

On my Application, it shows my Junior year GPA as a 3.8 (Purely USC) which is actually higher than my freshman and sophomore community college GPA years (3.68, 3.74ish)

it will now show:

Freshman (community college)- 3.68
Sophomore (Community college)- 3.74
Junior (USC)- 3.8
Senior (USC) 2.8 (one semester)

Overall- 3.65

No new LOR :/ or people to ask- I've talked to 2 schools and both schools have never commented on my LOR though. So maybe they're alright/adequate

Note: I don't know how reapplying another year will help me unless I need to do it to show I can still get good grades. EC wise, I still got 4 II when I applied late which is decent, I think if I had done my application exactly as is but earlier, I would have gotten more. I also think I can do a better job of writing my PS/Secondaries this time around. So experience wise, I think I am fine/adequate.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would take another year off and retake a couple of science courses you did the worst in and take additional upper-level bio courses to show adcoms that your senior year was a fluke. Your overall GPA is still good and you have a good MCAT. Don't sell yourself short!

My lowest science grade was a b- in ochem 2, the rest were b and b+

Retaking b's doesn't seem right

Also not sure if USC will let me do this, this would also cost 20,000 dollars for housing and tuition ( even if I still receive financial aid)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

What if I applied this cycle but mentioned I was taking classes at a Cal state or community college (USC is too expensive) and just update my grades in December. I'd take a full courseload of upper division credit. OR My P.I. told me hes on the board for USC Master's in Immunology and he can get me in, its a 1 year program.

What if I applied this cycle but mentioned I was taking classes at a Cal state or community college (USC is too expensive) and just update my grades in December. I'd take a full courseload of upper division credit. OR My P.I. told me hes on the board for USC Master's in Immunology and he can get me in, its a 1 year program.
A master's in immunology will not offset a weak senior year gpa. An early re-application to enough OOS schools that might interview you will work if you brush up on your interview skills.

You're low senior year GPA, combined with the first 2 years at community college is a giant hurdle to overcome. Your MCAT will help some, but you really shot yourself in the foot, with a large caliber weapon.
Pray for success this year. You may be looking at a SMP, etc to prove that you really have what it takes. I'm not sure grade inflation in a graduate program will help. Burn out your senior year of college is a horrible excuse. It raises enormous doubt about your ability to commit to another 7-11 years of education to become a physician. Consider DO as well.

I still have a 3.65 and a 34-(why would I need to apply to D.O.?) Also I would say there was a bit of immaturity. I thought I would get in because I had like an 85% chance according to AAMC, and thus didn't focus on school as much, it was burnout PLUS not thinking my senior grades would matter. I don't think this is similar to med school will burn me out because I didn't think my grades would matter and that the 1st step of my journey was over. Med school and residency never have intermediate non counting steps
(except 4th year med school classes?) But I understand your point.

Does my community college experience really affect me? I did well on my MCAT and had a 3.8 (higher gpa than my community college GPA) during my junior year at USC taking 7 /8 science classes.

Option A) Reapply super early + write better essays

Option B) Do a Post-bac and apply in 2 cycles (so 1 year of coursework) (can this be at a cal-state? Cheaper, close to home, but Cal states are lower rigor than my university. But wouldn't I just be proving that I can still do well, I obviously can also Ace classes at USC proven by my junior year GPA) (Note this would include 1 year of bad Senior GPA versus 1 semester)

Option C) SMP? Too late to apply? Super expensive

Last edited:
Your application is a mess dude.
Your junior year looks like a fluke convergence of the stars. You should be better off if you did not attend years of community college. It's not clear that you can handle the stress and work of medical school. Then there's the strong MCAT. Your grade report is by year, so your dramatic drop in grades and senioritis will be highlighted. It's like a giant flashing warning beacon.
It just really complicates understanding your application and your commitment to a rigorous career choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I see why my app is a mess but why would my junior year look like a fluke?

I took 30 units with a 3.8 while studying for the MCAT. This is also the year I took Gen chem, Physics, and O-chem.

If anything wouldn't my senior year be the outlier? 3 years of strong GPA + good MCAT > 1 yr (or semester) bad GPA?

At the worse (I don't want to but will if I need to) a 1 yr post- bac with good grades solve this? (I might retake my MCAT as well as my average on practice tests were 37-38 and I took my test with little sleep etc)

Your best option would be to apply as early as possible to a wide range of schools w/o your spring grades. Start taking post bacc courses while you are applying and get As. Lol you can update schools with just those grades in Aug or Dec while ignoring your spring grades. Even if you don't get in you'll still be raising your GPA and have an upward trend for next cycle. Consider an SMP later down the road.

Your best option would be to apply as early as possible to a wide range of schools w/o your spring grades. Start taking post bacc courses while you are applying and get As. Lol you can update schools with just those grades in Aug or Dec while ignoring your spring grades. Even if you don't get in you'll still be raising your GPA and have an upward trend for next cycle. Consider an SMP later down the road.

Haha wouldn't it look sketchy if a semester after a bad semester is missing, and I start updating schools with grades from Fall semester instead of senior year spring?

Also, I am wondering if schools will give me interviews before a grade update (Which would come in December/ January) which would make me another late applicant no?

Haha wouldn't it look sketchy if a semester after a bad semester is missing, and I start updating schools with grades from Fall semester instead of senior year spring?

Also, I am wondering if schools will give me interviews before a grade update (Which would come in December/ January) which would make me another late applicant no?
Quite a bit. Nothing is worth being a late applicant again.

You're lucky you did well on the MCAT or you'd really be screwed.
Your first 2 years were at CC. It's impossible to know how difficult it was to excel there compared to a typical 4 year university. It casts some doubt on those grades. Then you did well for 2 semesters, and then you shat the bed twice, at a point where you had already committed to a career, applied to schools, and should have matured and understand the importance of school, etc.
Apply very broadly, you may get into Temple, PCOM, or Grenada. Your application is supposed to sell you as a future leader, solid citizen, and intellectual. Your application raises as many questions as it answers.

I don't want to apply to D.O., I think I'd rather wait a cycle and do a Post-Bac , but would rather apply this upcoming cycle if I could still get an M.D. acceptance :/

I don't want to apply to D.O., I think I'd rather wait a cycle and do a Post-Bac , but would rather apply this upcoming cycle if I could still get an M.D. acceptance :/

I think there are some good points about your GPA here. 2 years with a good GPA, but those years are suspect because they're at a CC. 2 semesters with a great GPA at USC, but then another 2 semesters with a low GPA at USC. You've essentially negated your GPA goodwill and it would be hard to gauge how you stand academically. Your MCAT helps with the argument that you've mastered your sciences, but you know that low GPA/high MCAT discrepancies are also potential red flags right? They suggest smart, but not disciplined enough (assuming no special circumstances). Not saying that's true in your case, but it's something to consider.

Option A) Applying this cycle with a sub 3.0 GPA in your senior year/one semester. No extra ECs this year, just continuity and an earlier application. If you had maintained your GPA, that might have been sufficient. But you now have a downward trend that, in combination with everything else, could be a red flag. If you want to reapply to some of the same schools you applied to the first round, you wouldn't have a good answer to the "what have you improved upon your application" question. That sounds really risky to me.

Option B) If you apply after a year of post-bac, you'd still show a senior year of low GPA, but hopefully a post-bac year of an extremely high GPA. Personally, I don't think that adds much to your application alone because like you said, it'd be a Cal-State or CC.

Option C) SMP or masters with your PI. Like everyone else, I don't think a graduate GPA would help in your case.

I doubt you'd like the sound of this, but if you don't want to apply DO now (because they would accept you), I'd suggest you take some post-bac classes AND find a job in a relevant field (not just TA). I think you'd need to stick with the job for at least a year, if not two. That helps out your GPA in your app, gives you a new EC, and possibly gives you a new, current LOR from an employer. Not to mention, working full-time helps with personal growth AND you'll have income. You'll reapply as a nontraditional student that seems more mature, a bit removed from the bad year of GPA, and hopefully that helps with your current school burn out. If you need to retake the MCAT because it'll expire, that may not be a bad thing either since you were obviously prepared for it the first time around.

tl;dr Reapplying this year is risky. If you don't get in after this cycle, what's your Plan B? Reapplying immediately again a third year in a row with the same application?

Not sure if I am being overly positive, but I think you are in better shape than the posts above. Your cGPA is still looking at 3.6 and 34 whatsoever, which is a pretty good combination for an acceptance to an MD school in my opinion. I would try to submit early and hope for the best. In any case, you better have a well-prepared answer for your senior year fall semester GPA, in case it is brought up on interviews; being burnt out won't cut it.
If your not so successful cycle was due to easily changeable things like better PS, secondaries, being early and better interview skills in your honest opinion, I say you fix these and hope for the best next cycle

I guess if I didn't get in this next cycle I would be reapplying with another year of good grades-post-back + new EC's, wouldn't that help?

I will definitely not take 2 years off and then apply (3 years). Seriously all I did was act premature/immaturely. People on SDN have even recommended to just relax senior year (though with an acceptance in hand) and grades won't matter so long as you pass.

It seems like my two options are

A) Apply again, broadly, write better, get everything done as early as possible, June submission/pre-write secondaries, continue research and volunteer more between end of school year and submission date. with a one semester grade decline + take Post-Bacc classes for preparation for the next cycle just in case.

B) Do a post-bacc (maybe even at USC? despite costing a ton of money) + add some ec's continue research, maybe add another EC. and apply in 2 cycles + retake MCAT (to get a 36+)

Ugh just realized I did not apply for financial aid to any undergrad institutions... I would be super late... Go Carribean? lol

Last edited:
It's not too late to apply for undergrad financial aid. Your fin aid app just won't be a "priority" (supposedly).

Just a thought, if you got burnt out in your senior your of UG, then HOW are you going to handle medical school, which is 3-5x harder than any UG program, and on top of that, worry about boards and rotations and then residencies???

If you get accepted, your application woes will be a moot point, but I'd be VERY concerned about reapplying with a downward trend right at the end of the UG career.

You're engaging in magic thinking, and a good deal of naïveté. You get out of medical school what you put into it, and while grades don't matter to residency directors, at my school they're a great predictor of board exam success, which DOES matter to residency directors. That, plus the sheer volume of material you'll get, make me concerned that you won't be able to handle medical school. I've seen plenty of students burn out.

I still have a 3.65 and a 34-(why would I need to apply to D.O.?) Also I would say there was a bit of immaturity. I thought I would get in because I had like an 85% chance according to AAMC, and thus didn't focus on school as much, it was burnout PLUS not thinking my senior grades would matter. I don't think this is similar to med school will burn me out because I didn't think my grades would matter and that the 1st step of my journey was over. Med school and residency never have intermediate non counting steps
Does my community college experience really affect me? I did well on my MCAT and had a 3.8 (higher gpa than my community college GPA) during my junior year at USC taking 7 /8 science classes.

Option A) Reapply super early + write better essays

Option B) Do a Post-bac and apply in 2 cycles (so 1 year of coursework) (can this be at a cal-state? Cheaper, close to home, but Cal states are lower rigor than my university. But wouldn't I just be proving that I can still do well, I obviously can also Ace classes at USC proven by my junior year GPA) (Note this would include 1 year of bad Senior GPA versus 1 semester)

Option C) SMP? Too late to apply? Super expensive

Just a thought, if you got burnt out in your senior your of UG, then HOW are you going to handle medical school, which is 3-5x harder than any UG program, and on top of that, worry about boards and rotations and then residencies???

If you get accepted, your application woes will be a moot point, but I'd be VERY concerned about reapplying with a downward trend right at the end of the UG career.

You're engaging in magic thinking, and a good deal of naïveté. You get out of medical school what you put into it, and while grades don't matter to residency directors, at my school they're a great predictor of board exam success, which DOES matter to residency directors. That, plus the sheer volume of material you'll get, make me concerned that you won't be able to handle medical school. I've seen plenty of students burn out.

I understand, but when I say I was burned out, I mean it more in a way that I was tired of school in a way, but I LET myself stop trying as hard because I prematurely thought I would get an acceptance. If I had been applying after senior year instead, I would NOT have done what I did. It was immature and premature but I'm also pretty adaptable.

I went from having never tried in school with <2.0 HS graduation to 4.0 in an 18 unit unit semester 1st semester of college (though at a CC), then adapting myself to USC and getting a 3.8 junior year while studying for the MCAT. I know both of these are much easier than medical school, but I believe I am someone who rises to the occasion. I thought my senior grades would NOT count. If I was holding an acceptance right now, no one would be questioning my ability to handle medicine. Type in senioritus in search and 3848474748 students have posted getting a 3.0 or less there senior year (though after holding an acceptance earlier on).

I was also writing my secondaries during school, 35 schools secondaries took an enormous time away from school. It was just a bunch of little factors that added up + me not thinking it mattered so I did not push myself. I put the bare minimum into my senior year because I thought that was all I needed to do. Stupid yes, naive yes, but I do not think I'm incapable of the rigor of a medical education.

In Medical school, even though grades may not matter as much, I'm still going to shoot for the top. I have no idea what specialty I want to go for thus I'm preparing myself for some of the most competitive ones.

Do you believe I do not have a chance of reapplying this cycle? What if I explain it in secondaries or (do I not add it to my application and wait to explain it in interviews?)

Last edited:
Statistically you say you had an 85% chance for success, yet you only got 4 interviews and 0 acceptances, BEFORE your academic suicide. Yet, somehow, you think your application is still strong and that you're not seriously F'd.
Your replication will be a disaster chief. You need to erase doubt. And you better craft a better explanation than "I thought I would get in and stopped studying". That shows a great commitment to life long learning right there.
Good luck. You'll need it.

Statistically you say you had an 85% chance for success, yet you only got 4 interviews and 0 acceptances, BEFORE your academic suicide. Yet, somehow, you think your application is still strong and that you're not seriously F'd.
Your replication will be a disaster chief. You need to erase doubt. And you better craft a better explanation than "I thought I would get in and stopped studying". That shows a great commitment to life long learning right there.

I also applied very late but didn't think it would affect me as much as it did. So 4 int wasn't terrible, some people who applied late did better, and some did much worse 0-1 II

Thanks for the luck, I still don't know, will my application pretty much not be considered unless I do a 1 yr grade supplement?

Or do I have a chance?

Strongly concur here. This is a very damning indictment. However, I think you can overcome it.

I suggest that you work for two years and build up an outstanding resume of ECs demonstrating altruism, community service, leadership AND maturity. That means responsibility level positions.

Then, do a one year SMP.

This will prove commitment, maturity and humanism, plus the required academic bona fides.

What? Theres no way I need 2 + years of EC's and then a year of SMP. Just to get an acceptance? I still have a 3.65 and a 34, 1 yr of post-bacc probably puts me back at a 3.7 34 with a year of strong grades before applying.

I respect your opinion but thats 4 years before matriculating and a bit unrealistic... I did everything I could to apply after Junior year for a reason, 3 years is out of the question (4 years for matriculation), 2 year waiting is out of the question (3 years before I matriculate). If i had a terrible GPA I would spend whatever time it took to get in. At the same time, I'm not going to spend extra time that is not needed.

why would 1 year of post-bacc classes at 3.8-4.0 + new EC's + continuation of some old ones not work + super early application not work?

Remember for this semester I also got bronchitus right during midterm week (we only have 2 midterms) + I think I actually had it twice, as I got sick for 3 weeks earlier in the semester as well. Not too mention my teachers are marking me down for missing important classes/labs for interviews...

Last edited:
What? Theres no way I need 2 + years of EC's and a year of SMP. Just to get an acceptance?
I respect your opinion but thats 4 years before matriculating... I did everything I could to apply after Junior year for a reason, 3 years is out of the question (4 years for matriculation), 2 year waiting is out of the question (3 years before I matriculate).

why would 1 year of post-bacc classes at 3.8-4.0 + new EC's + continuation of some old ones not work?

Just do what you want. You're not looking for advice. You're arguing with it. You sound like you're completely set on reapplying this year, so apply early and broadly, and hope for the best.

I'd prefer to apply this year and see my options and if its viable (like take classes while I apply and update etc), however, I can accept waiting for a year and doing a year of new grades + new ec's and applying if that is absolutely necessary.

However,
I think spending 3 years and then applying, (4 years total) is overkill and a waste of time.
I'm looking for advice but I can't see why the above cannot just be simplified to 1 yr SMP do well and apply...

My senior GPA is bad, a 3.0, but its not like I failed or got a D in a class. I only got 1 C+ (and I'll argue against this, I was 2 points away/ 1000 for a B-, I didn't argue because I didn't think it mattered (if I got into medical school) but I was marked down for more absences than I had actually been absent, something that happened to a lot of people, which was worth more than 2 points)

The semester grades went:

Molecular Biology- B+
Neurobiology- B
Organic Chemistry- B-
Contemporary Morals and Ethics- C+ (though I might be able to change it to a B-)

This semester I can possibly get:

Biochemistry- A-
Population Genetics- B
Upper Divising Writing- B-
Spanish 2- Pass (pass/no pass)

I'd definitely wait at least a year. I agree with others that your chances would be much greater if you waited longer, but I also understand why you don't want to do that (even if I disagree with your choices--I guess it just depends how much money/time you're willing to spend to try to score an acceptance somewhere). It seems like you're continuing to come up with a bunch of excuses for your senior year grades, when what you need to realize is that adcoms probably are not going to give a **** whether or not you thought were going to get into medical school or that you had bronchitis. Whatever you choose, good luck. Sorry things turned out this way for you this cycle.

I just dont see how more than 1 year of grades is necessary, if I could score 4 II with a very late app, I think my Ec's are adequate. I would only be adding more to them, a years worth, + I don't feel like I wrote as well or as profoundly as I could of. More EC's is ALWAYS better, no matter what you have, once you have a good amount, I believe it becomes how you write and explain them.

I think this is a matter of grades, and I can't see how 1 year wouldn't be enough to rectify a bad senior year.

Why don't you write an amazing loi and send it to Einstein in hopes of it bolstering your chances of getting in directly post-interview. It sounds like your interview went well so hopefully things work out and you can avoid this whole re-application thing completely. I know this thread is just in case you don't get in anywhere, but I'd hate to see you get caught up in this re-app stuff and just give up on the two schools you have left when your re-app future looks so bleak.

Thanks I appreciate it. I did send a letter after my interview, but mistakes were made, and I ended up resending it again 2 days ago.

It was to admissions, it pretty much said How much I loved the school, its sense of community, and the school emphasizes collaborative medicine (which i said in my interview, later my interview also talked about how she believes medicine relys on collaboration rather than competition)

it also updated the school with my abstract publication+poster conference+ research grant for the spring semester

I also mentioned Einstein is my #1 choice and I would absolutely attend. Though I do not know how much of an effect this has if I have no other acceptances.

Should I have my P.I. send an updated LOR to Einstein?

I'll also email them every 3-4 weeks.

Albany takes no updates aside from grades (lol)

I just dont see how more than 1 year of grades is necessary, if I could score 4 II with a very late app, I think my Ec's are adequate. I would only be adding more to them, a years worth, + I don't feel like I wrote as well or as profoundly as I could of. More EC's is ALWAYS better, no matter what you have, once you have a good amount, I believe it becomes how you write and explain them.

I think this is a matter of grades, and I can't see how 1 year wouldn't be enough to rectify a bad senior year.

i think you have a good point there. if only you applied early that first time...

i think it's worth it to apply again this june, but like everyone said, apply EARLY and broadly.

i recommend 30+ schools.

good luck

nabilesmail,

I don't know keep running into your posts, but they have been much informative for someone thinking of applying soon. This makes me even further consider a gap year. I'm scheduled for a very tough courseload my senior year, and I can see how it can be pretty stressful with secondaries and interviews going on! Then again, if I wait until after I graduate to apply, I'm scared I'll lose my 4.0! Upper-level CS is mad grade deflation here. :( Not to mention, I'm sure senioritis will set in with me as well whether I've already applied or not. :p I just wanted to say thanks for for sharing your experiences with us.

As for the thread itself, I really don't know enough to contribute. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with Albert Einstein. I really hope things work out in your favor, so you don't have to go through the dreaded process again. Plus, you deserve it.

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I see your concern, will you have an early app? I wouldn't be concerned about losing a 4.0 so long as your GPA still remains strong ( 3.7 ) for senior year. You'll still have a fantastic GPA.

If you can have an early app and apply then do it (if your EC's and LOR checkout), if you'll have to do secondaries during school (late app) I'd wait, its not worth the pain I went through this year, working my a** off for 3 years, surmounting every obstacle, and then this, it sucks.

It just depends on you, if you can get yourself to wait out the year then do it. I'm extremely goal oriented/impatient so I couldn't get myself to do that.

Damn nabilesmail, I posted the same thread seeking for advice on reapplication and I barely got any feedback. hahaha.

But anyways, we are in very similar situation here. However, your cycle did go a lot better than mine. I had 25Rejections and 1II. I know originally I said I plan to wait another year before I apply. But now, I have decided (90% sure) to reapply this coming cycle. I have many reasons to believe that my application is stronger than last June's with a better GPA (3.95GPA in two quarters of senior year), and 4 new ECs + pending publication. I am also planning on keeping three LORs from last year and getting three new LORs for this year's reapplication. The key for me this year though, is definitely to apply EARLY (first day of primary, and try to get secondaries in no more than a week hopefully). All of these are reasons that led me to believe I have a stronger app than last year.

In your case however, I would've advised you to reapply right away too but I have to agree with others that your senior year GPA + no new LORs + not enough new ECs may be reasons that you should put off another year before you reapply. But who am I to say when you should apply? I am just a fellow applicant this year with probably the worst application cycle out of all SDNers here. I'd try to take the advice from the more experienced SDNers who are med students or residents here though.

Best of luck to your pending decisions or your waitlists!

Thanks man, I'm actually really happy your reapplying this cycle. I honestly think your application is great and you were just late. I would also focus on your PS/Activities/Secondary writing more, some people applied as late as us with low stats and got many interviews. It has to do with how you present your EC's/ PS

I think I may wait out the year as well (but just one year not 3+ lol) and take more classes.

But I'm still thinking about a kind of reapply + take classes and update.

Anyways I'm so glad your reapply this cycle and think you'll get in! Best of luck and keep me updated!

Also guys, I shadowed a doctor (through parental connection) for 40 hrs back before I applied. At the end of the week on my last day he asked me to contact him if I needed any help or a LOR or something. I didn't think I needed the LOR so I didn't want to waste his time.

Should I meet up with him and ask him, and send that LOR to Einstein?

I don't know how strong it will be because I only spent a week with him, but he told my Mom (they use to work together and sometimes see eachother) that I'm an "outstanding young man" though he's a super nice guy in general so I don't know how genuine it was.

Any input?

Rough crowd. I would reapply, just a little less top-heavy. You got B's in hard classes, your GPA is average for acceptance at many schools, your MCAT is above average for many schools. There are many good things about your application, make them stand out, get a new LOR, add a new EC, submit your application day 1 to many schools but maybe leave out the stanford/umich/penn/top 10 schools etc...

Rough crowd. I would reapply, just a little less top-heavy. You got B's in hard classes, your GPA is average for acceptance at many schools, your MCAT is above average for many schools. There are many good things about your application, make them stand out, get a new LOR, add a new EC, submit your application day 1 to many schools but maybe leave out the stanford/umich/penn/top 10 schools etc...
Thanks!

IF I reapply now, I would apply to all the UC's (some are top tier like ucsd, ucla, uscsd)

so

UCSF
UCLA
UCLA-Drew
UCSD
UCI
UCD
USC

6-7 more mid tier (40-60 US News)

and 15+ low tier including a few new schools

So in total 4 top schools (though their stats aren't MUCH higher) and their my state schools so it would be dumb not to apply

10ish mid tiers

and 15 low tiers

Last edited:
Reposting this but:

Also guys, I shadowed a doctor (through parental connection) for 40 hrs back before I applied. At the end of the week on my last day he asked me to contact him if I needed any help or a LOR or something. I didn't think I needed the LOR so I didn't want to waste his time.

Should I meet up with him and ask him, and send that LOR to Einstein?

I don't know how strong it will be because I only spent a week with him, but he told my Mom (they use to work together and sometimes see eachother) that I'm an "outstanding young man" though he's a super nice guy in general so I don't know how genuine it was.

Any input?

Just do what you want. You're not looking for advice. You're arguing with it. You sound like you're completely set on reapplying this year, so apply early and broadly, and hope for the best.

THIS!! And this guy has more excuses than anyone I have ever met. He has an excuse for absolutely everything. He is taking NO responsibility for the mess he is in and he certainly doesn't want any advice from anyone on here.

How is me saying "I acted immaturely and prematurely" not taking responsibility? Yes, I also told other reasons, but that doesn't mean they weren't true, everything together PAIRED with my immaturity led me to get a 3.0ish.

Your post contributed nothing

Acceptable excuses for a freshman, not so much for a senior applying to med school. And just so you know every single person applying to med school has to juggle secondaries, interviews and classes. Most do it very successfully and don't use those things as reasons for academic suicide. It's part of the game.

Not true, tons of people get terrible grades during their year of applying, just look at all the threads on SDN, applying can and does affect grades it just doesn't matter if you have an acceptance, all of them had burnout as well... And your also wrong In that most premeds are NOT filling out secondaries during school, they fill them out during the summer, hence why I was a LATE applicant. 35 secondaries takes an enormous amount of time away from a rigorous course load.

I don't see how bronchitis and interviews (forcing me to skip labs and quizzes) are freshman excuses

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

And yet you said that your essays could have been better. Interesting.
Most students work or do full time research over the summer, probably committed to more hours than when in class. I'm not sure your argument is sound.
I would consider taking the whole summer off to concentrate 24/7 on your essays, and a semester off to figure out a way to make your couple interviews fit into your schedule.