Reapplicant, unbalanced metrics 519 MCAT/ 3.46sGPA and 3.54 cGPA, school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Listle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently in-cycle and worried about my chances due to my unbalanced metrics. I graduated Fall 2017 (3 years and 1 quarter to graduate) cum laude and with academic distinction for completing my schools honors program at a UC school.
Re-applicant, applied late cycle first time around (in 2017) and only to ~10 schools with a 515 MCAT.

Retook the MCAT May 2019 for a 519 (130,129,129,131). I am worried about the effect my GPA will have on my application, as it was mostly a result of me taking both freshman and sophomore level biology pre-reqs all during my freshman year so I could graduate in 3 (thought it would be a great idea at the time) and got a lot of B's and one F. Upward trend after that.
I am ORM ( I think? White, Female)

Other stats:
500 hours clinical volunteering
400 hours shadowing multiple specialties
300 hours on an extremely high level judiciary committee for my university (can't give specifics)
100 hours on a low level judiciary committee for my university
300 hours Undergrad research - no publications or posters, professor stuck me on a solo project he was curious about
50 hours and counting recently working with one of my physician mentors in post-market clinical studies of a newly FDA approved medical device (hopefully will be published in a journal, but likely not within the time frame of my current app)
4000 hours paid employment in clinical trials sample testing since graduation

I applied early cycle this time around (most apps complete before august) and haven't heard much. Thinking about expanding my school list while it would still be considered an early-ish app. Would really like advice/WAMC here

Current:
All the UC's (CA Resident)
U Alabama
U Iowa Carver
U Kansas (strong ties)
U Miami
U Utah
U Wisconsin SMPH
USF Morsani
Stanford
MCW
Nova
Tulane
USC Keck
Indiana University
Columbia
Cal Northstate
Cal University Science and Medicine
Boston U
U Nebraska (Rejected already)
U New Mexico (Rejected already)

Like I said I am feeling a little nervous with how unbalanced my stats are and would appreciate feedback on if I should add more schools or not. I have budget to add maybe 4-5 more.
I have previously lived in Florida and Massachusetts as well if any of their schools consider that as in-state tie.

Thanks in advance anyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Your school list has an excessive amount of state schools on it. Albama, Iowa, Utah, Indiana, New Mexico, and Nebraska were all donations. This is a much bigger issue than your GPA.

Your school list has an excessive amount of state schools on it. Albama, Iowa, Utah, Indiana, New Mexico, and Nebraska were all donations. This is a much bigger issue than your GPA.

Yeah, I know they can be lower yield, but in evaluating against the MSAR for GPA trends they seemed most OOS friendly and accepting of lower end GPAs. I also have a ton of family in the midwest (each of those states except for alabama) and I mentioned that as part of -why this school-.

What non-state schools would you recommend I add that fit with my metrics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know they can be lower yield, but in evaluating against the MSAR for GPA trends they seemed most OOS friendly and accepting of lower end GPAs. I also have a ton of family in the midwest (each of those states except for alabama) and I mentioned that as part of -why this school-.

What non-state schools would you recommend I add that fit with my metrics?

Yes, but, these tend to be people with ties to these states (usually stuff like having lived in these places or having gone to school there, some might be more cool with “i have an aunt there” but even so..). Your list is too low yield in that regard.

@Faha can answer this better. Luckily, you have time to add schools.

Definitely consider:
VCU
Penn State
NYMC
Vermont
Albany
Saint Louis
UCF
SUNY DownState
Stoney Brooke
Oakland
Wayne State
Tufts
UMass
EVMS
Temple
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Commonwealth
Colorado

Those are solid picks for a CA applicant

You applied to too many state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest adding many more schools and I suggest these:
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha I appreciate your quick response and advice!
What is your opinion otherwise on the strength of my application in regards to the gpa/mcat disparity? Will most adcoms look past it seeing that I completed my degree in 3 years from a top 5 public school and recovered academically with honors ? I know I probably should’ve done a post-bacc but that’s just more money :(

I’ll try to see if I can budget more than 5 in and go for 8 of those. If I get those secondaries in before september will I still have a decent chance for consideration at those schools or are any off the top of your head not as receptive to mid cycle apps? (For example I know Tulane really likes super early apps) and since my budget is getting tight I want to make the most.

I’ll definitely research them all on MSAR and try to find the best fits.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

You should be fine for those schools if you submit your secondaries by early September. It is your initial school list that is limiting your chances.