Reapplying this year with old Pre-Med Committee Packet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 870

The Member...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm waitlisted at one school and probably not getting in this year. If I reapply this year, I will send everything in extra early, like day of AMCAS submission start date. My school has a Pre-Med committee that interviews students and sends a packet out to my designated schools comprising of a composite letter made up of faculty recommedations, and my personal LOR's. But they interview in September---too late for me, I want to have most of my secondaries in by then. I asked the Pre-med advisor if he would send out my old packet this summer when I asked him to, and he said that this was fine.

My question: What if all the stuff (esp. the personal LORs) have the 2006 date on them? Will this hurt me when I reapply? I don't think I'll have anything new to add to them by this summer, so what would be the point of having them resubmit them? I'm doing the Kaplan and the MCAT this summer [my main weak area: 26 :((11V, 8P, 7B) then a 24 :scared:(9V, 7P, 8B), GPA 3.97], so I won't have much time for anything else, besides work and reapplying with what I have.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I'm waitlisted at one school and probably not getting in this year. If I reapply this year, I will send everything in extra early, like day of AMCAS submission start date. My school has a Pre-Med committee that interviews students and sends a packet out to my designated schools comprising of a composite letter made up of faculty recommedations, and my personal LOR's. But they interview in September---too late for me, I want to have most of my secondaries in by then. I asked the Pre-med advisor if he would send out my old packet this summer when I asked him to, and he said that this was fine.

My question: What if all the stuff (esp. the personal LORs) have the 2006 date on them? Will this hurt me when I reapply? I don't think I'll have anything new to add to them by this summer, so what would be the point of having them resubmit them? I'm doing the Kaplan and the MCAT this summer [my main weak area: 26 :((11V, 8P, 7B) then a 24 :scared:(9V, 7P, 8B), GPA 3.97], so I won't have much time for anything else, besides work and reapplying with what I have.

I'd be hard pressed to have as much new material as possible before applying. Med schools obviously know you are a re-applicant, and they should have notes on why you were not admitted the last time (if not the entire application). Bureaucrats keep everything and document everything;). Therefore they will not be impressed seeing the same letters of recommendation. I don't know why your school's pre-health people interview in September. All the schools that I know of have it open year round or at least open it up around March.

I'd also discuss with the med school about why you were not admitted. Was it truly JUST the MCAT score? For all we know you didn't have sufficient letters of recommendations. In regards to the MCAT, you said you will retake it in the summer. That implies you will tell AMCAS to hold your application until MCAT scores arrive. Thus it will not be confirmed by AMCAS and not sent out to the med schools until your MCAT scores are sent to AMCAS. I'm assuming you haven't started taking Kaplan/Princeton yet therefore you are taking the July/August MCAT? Which means you won't get scores until August/September based on the new computer based exam.

I'd be hard pressed to have as much new material as possible before applying. Med schools obviously know you are a re-applicant, and they should have notes on why you were not admitted the last time (if not the entire application). Bureaucrats keep everything and document everything;). Therefore they will not be impressed seeing the same letters of recommendation. I don't know why your school's pre-health people interview in September. All the schools that I know of have it open year round or at least open it up around March.

I'd also discuss with the med school about why you were not admitted. Was it truly JUST the MCAT score? For all we know you didn't have sufficient letters of recommendations. In regards to the MCAT, you said you will retake it in the summer. That implies you will tell AMCAS to hold your application until MCAT scores arrive. Thus it will not be confirmed by AMCAS and not sent out to the med schools until your MCAT scores are sent to AMCAS. I'm assuming you haven't started taking Kaplan/Princeton yet therefore you are taking the July/August MCAT? Which means you won't get scores until August/September based on the new computer based exam.
I'm pretty sure it's just my MCAT holding me back. My personal LOR's are from people that I've worked with/volunteered for, for at least a couple of years. My faculty LOR's are from profs. that I made A's in their classes and chatted with them outside of class. I have an appt. w/my state school on Tuesday to discuss how else I can improve my app.
I'll apply to mostly different schools this next round (only 1 or 2 repeats).
Also, I plan on applying to more than 1 D.O. school this next round. I won't have aacomas hold my app until the new MCAT scores arrives (they don't have my 24 on file).