Recommendation Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvetcoffee

Coffee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have already submitted all my secondaries. However, I met an amazing mentor who's a physician, and they want to write me a letter. I KNOW this letter will be GLOWING from a research and physician perspective.

But, since I already am complete, would this throw me back to a different completion timeframe? As in, like if I was complete early July, would me sending schools a recommendation letter through AMCAS make my complete date in August?

If so, that's not worth it.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

On what grounds would this be a great letter? Did you shadow or work with this person?
Work and shadow :) and she’s my gap year mentor. We are VERY close so I am aware it would be a well written and very thoughtful letter. And she said she wrote it about why and how she thinks I’d make a good physician-scientist etc etc. She’s just a very close mentor of mine and I work for her everyday and shadow her in clinic when she goes.

But, she told me not to submit if it pushes back my completion date because being early is important for someone with my mid mcat score stats…

Members don't see this ad :)
In your AMCAS guide: page 59:
 Letters are not required to submit, or for the AMCAS program to verify, your application. You may submit your application before your letters of evaluation arrive at the AMCAS program.
You may have up to 10 letters associated with your AMCAS application. The number is intended to
enable you and your letter authors to target specific letters to specific schools, if you wish to do so. However, the 10-letter total does not suggest that any one school wishes to receive 10 letters.

and:

• You may continue to add letters to your application and assign them to medical schools after the initial submission of your application, but you may not edit or delete existing information after your initial submission.
  • Once the AMCAS program receives a letter, no party may delete or edit it. Any letters that follow an original letter with the same AMCAS Letter ID will be appended to the original letter and sent to all medical schools you selected as recipients of that original letter.

It sounds like your AMCAS app has already been verified and transmitted to schools, so it does not go through the verification process again.
If you enter this new person's information as another recommender, you will need to press some kind of "resubmit " button. Page 70

Finally:
Have you already sent the maximum number of letters each school will accept? Do you for some reason think they are not good enough?
If a school only wants 3 letters and you have already sent 3, you are not allowed to swap out or change any of them.
It's up to you to go back through each school and check the number of letters they want. More is not better if you go against their rules!

Reactions: 1 users
 Letters are not required to submit, or for the AMCAS program to verify, your application. You may submit your application before your letters of evaluation arrive at the AMCAS program.
You may have up to 10 letters associated with your AMCAS application. The number is intended to
enable you and your letter authors to target specific letters to specific schools, if you wish to do so. However, the 10-letter total does not suggest that any one school wishes to receive 10 letters.

and:

• You may continue to add letters to your application and assign them to medical schools after the initial submission of your application, but you may not edit or delete existing information after your initial submission.
  • Once the AMCAS program receives a letter, no party may delete or edit it. Any letters that follow an original letter with the same AMCAS Letter ID will be appended to the original letter and sent to all medical schools you selected as recipients of that original letter.

It sounds like your AMCAS app has already been verified and transmitted to schools, so it does not go through the verification process again.
If you enter this new person's information as another recommender, you will need to press some kind of "resubmit " button. Page 70

Finally:
Have you already sent the maximum number of letters each school will accept? Do you for some reason think they are not good enough?
If a school only wants 3 letters and you have already sent 3, you are not allowed to swap out or change any of them.
It's up to you to go back through each school and check the number of letters they want. More is not better if you go against their rules!
There are only a few schools I applied to early July that they’d like a clinical letter (which I didn’t have before because I did more short-term shadowing).

My is app verified. I more meant within the schools like would it push back when I was complete for them!

Last edited:

and:

Finally:
Oh, yes, and also. It would only be for schools where I haven't met their cap yet/for new schools I recently added.