Recommended post-baccs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gehr4733

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only formal postbac with linkage on the west coast is Scripps.

You won't lose your WA residency by going to school out of state.

OHSU and UW aren't going to have a preference on formal postbacs.

You don't have better odds at OHSU by being from WA. But OHSU has less instate preference than most public schools.

Pick a postbac where you'll thrive, where you'll get A's, where you'll have lots of faculty interaction, lots of opportunities to get into labs and such. Put some thought into what it will cost you, and how you'll handle debt during med school, but finance is only one factor. These things don't matter very much: getting done in a year, avoiding a gap year, getting the MCAT done on schedule. Focus on quality.

If there's a benefit for you in staying close to home before med school, I suggest looking at a smaller school, maybe a private school, that has really strong academics without the slaughterhouse feel of UW. UPS, St. Martin's, Gonzaga, etc. Portland State has good structure.

I did my prereqs at UW and I regret it. I would have gone to Bennington if I could do it again.

UW and OHSU are very different schools. UW has a mandate to serve WWAMI, 27% of the US land mass. OHSU serves Oregon. If you get into UW, you could be in Spokane for M1-M3. Be a smart consumer.

Best of luck to you.

Mills also has linkages - but Scipps is by far a more known program with more linkages. Mills college i believe links to tulane, pitt and an osteo school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mills Linkages:
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

Scripps Linkages:
Drexel University School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA
George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences in Washington, DC
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in Pittsburgh, PA
Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine in Pomona, CA

Thanks, that's good to know, I have been avoiding UW for that reason. Any thoughts on Seattle U? It seems like they're not that established yet and I didn't seem to see any inkling of linkages. I also like the looks of Portland State. I'm definitely willing to look East as well, I'm pretty new to the process. You make a really good point about not rushing though. Thanks for the feedback.
Seattle U is okay, but it's pretty much the most expensive option. If you want to look at area private schools, UPS is the only one I'd recommend. And it's far enough away that you might as well look at Western or CWU and save money.