Rejections, Post Bacc, etc.- Any info would be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapp3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNers,

I figured Id just lay out my application situation and ask for any advice you might have. This post is really long, sorry.

My stats-
MCAT: 34Q (12V, 12 Bio, 10 P)

Grades: Cumulative GPA - 3.1 on transcript (from a fairly prominent university) yet slightly below 3.0 on AMCAS app b/c of repeated courses.
My science GPA is well below 3.0 on both.

Activities/ Research/ Volunteering: Pretty solid all around

I applied only to MD Programs, and as of right now, I have no interview invites. My application is still active at only a small number of schools (one of which is my top choice and claims to be still seriously considering my app, yet I doubt that my actual chances of an interview there are more than ~5%).

My goals- Become an allopathic physician, and practice rurally in the US

So, I need some advice as to what should I do
Right now, I see my options as

1- Post Bacc Program
2- Carribean Med School
3- Work then re-apply to DO/ Dental schools

Post-bacc programs clearly see to be the best option- yet Ive already noticed that most SMP's use the same calculating procedures as AMCAS, resulting in me being ineligible for admission b/c of my sub 3.0 AMCAS GPA...

Post baccs that are not SMP's are frustrating to sift through because there are so many of them and their abilities to get me into an MD program are unclear to me.

So, then that leaves Carribean schools, of which the only one Id want to apply is SGU. Im pretty sure Ill rock the USMLEs cause Im a good test taker, but I dont want to risk residency stuff...
*(I know I probably should have applied to DO schools as many have suggested, especially since I just want to become a gen. prac., but I didnt when I had the chance so oh well)

If you guys have any advice for me, or know of any post baccs that have been successful for those with high MCATs but sub 3.0 cum GPA's, or anything, Id really, really appreciate it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My goals- Become an allopathic physician, and practice rurally in the US

Carribbean it is! Since you don't plan on going into academic research, you may as well save time and money by going to the Carribbeans and taking the USMLE.

With that excellent MCAT score, an SMP with a linkage program is your best option. I don't know much about these programs, but I know that such opportunities exist at VCU and EVMS.

Otherwise you could do a post bacc, formally or informally, to raise your GPA, but that is a slow slog. Formal post baccs are designed for people who have not taken any or most of the pre-reqs, not really your case.

What schools did you apply to? Did you really apply to all the usual suspects for applicants with marginal stats, like EVMS, VCU, Creighton, SLU, Temple, etc? Or did you overshoot?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are only slightly below a 3.0, spend the next year taking science classes at a four-year univ. You don't have to do a formal post-bacc (though rarely do SDNers consider anything informal - why, I'm not sure). Just go take classes to push your GPA above the threshold. If you are REALLY slightly below - a year's worth of classes full-time should do it. Then apply with your awesome MCAT score again next cycle, and you should definitely get more of a look from both DO and MD schools.

Don't go Carrib when there is a workable solution that will honor your awesome MCAT. Seriously.

I'll give it a second try. For the mean time, take courses at a 4yr University as someone had suggested to improve your cum GPA. Next appl circle, you should apply at many sch as you can afford and apply broadly. If still unsuccessful, then consider the Caribbean.

I'm in the same boat with low GPA and too many credits to push it up within a reasonable period of time. The science part in particular is set in stone at this point.

I hate to post another "what are my chances" post, but it seems like the kids over in the regular pre-med section are all looking for a little positive reinforcement that their 3.8/39R is indeed awesome. I know I am decidedly NOT awesome, just wondering if I'm passable.

So here's my app package thus far:
-3.2 cum/3.0 sci GPA
-MCAT in 32 range (taking it next month)
-way better than average clinical, research, and volunteer experience

The adcoms I have spoke with have been surprisingly optimistic, but I'm still concerned about having a low GPA without a higher MCAT score to compensate. This is mostly because I have to be admitted near where I'll be living (husband just graduated law school and will be starting new job in one of three states...) so I can't exactly use the shotgun effect.

I honestly have no clue what my chances are. Anybody else have/had the same problem?

If it helps, my schools are UMass, Arizona, and Hawaii and I have some time to keep chipping away at this if I'm rejected.

...I have to be admitted near where I'll be living (husband just graduated law school and will be starting new job in one of three states...) so I can't exactly use the shotgun effect.
Whoa there cowgirl. Nobody has to admit you (and you're making it hard for them to admit you with that GPA in the first place). Very, very few individuals can get through med school and residency, outside maybe NYC or Boston, without needing to move. You can't switch schools every time your husband gets re-stationed. And if you score a good location for med school, that doesn't buy you anything for your residency location.

If it helps, my schools are UMass, Arizona, and Hawaii and I have some time to keep chipping away at this if I'm rejected.

Oh dear, no this doesn't help. These are 3 of the most hard-core anti-out-of-state public schools. If you are not already a resident of the state, you will need to be a phenomenal candidate (the 3.8/39 variety) to get in until you've met the state's residency requirements. In Hawaii in particular, you can't just move there and claim residency after a year. You have a burden of proof that includes where you went to high school and where your parents currently live.

Let me pause for a moment, since I'm being a hardass, and tell you that you're doing great to offer up your situation here for advice. I am very skeptical that you are getting good advice from whoever is advising you. Calling a med school to get admissions advice means that you get an admin assistant who has been told never to discourage an applicant - they have no insight into the process. Get second and third opinions on everything (including my advice). And read the Iserson's guide.

In your shoes I would:
1. Wait to take the MCAT until you have a stronger score (not that 32 isn't strong, but MCAT retakes are a hideously inefficient use of time if you want better than 32).
2. Hope to get stationed in MA so that you have access to SMPs in Boston and access to more med schools.
3. Seriously consider DO. That gives you two more AZ schools and sort of another in HI.
4. Get a really, really good couples counselor.

Best of luck to you.

3. Seriously consider DO. That gives you two more AZ schools and sort of another in HI.

Sorry for butting in, but what is this Hawaii DO school? I wasn't aware of any med schools in HI besides JABSOM.

Whoa there cowgirl. Nobody has to admit you (and you're making it hard for them to admit you with that GPA in the first place). Very, very few individuals can get through med school and residency, outside maybe NYC or Boston, without needing to move. You can't switch schools every time your husband gets re-stationed. And if you score a good location for med school, that doesn't buy you anything for your residency location.

Oh dear, no this doesn't help. These are 3 of the most hard-core anti-out-of-state public schools. If you are not already a resident of the state, you will need to be a phenomenal candidate (the 3.8/39 variety) to get in until you've met the state's residency requirements. In Hawaii in particular, you can't just move there and claim residency after a year. You have a burden of proof that includes where you went to high school and where your parents currently live.

Let me pause for a moment, since I'm being a hardass, and tell you that you're doing great to offer up your situation here for advice. I am very skeptical that you are getting good advice from whoever is advising you. Calling a med school to get admissions advice means that you get an admin assistant who has been told never to discourage an applicant - they have no insight into the process. Get second and third opinions on everything (including my advice). And read the Iserson's guide.

In your shoes I would:
1. Wait to take the MCAT until you have a stronger score (not that 32 isn't strong, but MCAT retakes are a hideously inefficient use of time if you want better than 32).
2. Hope to get stationed in MA so that you have access to SMPs in Boston and access to more med schools.
4. Get a really, really good couples counselor.

Best of luck to you.

I think that's bad advice. Given that the OP may not get admitted in her state, telling her to take the MCAT again is poor advice. Her MCAT score is pretty decent, and the likelihood of her score increasing is low. If anything, she should not re take it.

Second, yes, the GPA is low, so a post-bac would be her best option, which will give the OP the option of improving the GPA and proving that she's able to do well in graduate level science courses.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely considering a post Bac or Master's program once I land wherever it is I'll be next year. In the meantime I'm waiting to become a resident before submitting any apps. DH is rediculously supportive so I'm in good shape there. I guess he figures he owes me for all the years of law school prep and attendance. :D

I'm also slowly cranking up the MCAT score. One more question, though - Does anyone know just how heavily EC's are weighed when compared to GPA and MCAT score? They are definitely my strength with 6+ years in cancer research, over a year's work as an inpatient phlebotomist at a level one trauma center, and 10 years of coaching work at the junior olympic and college levels with several national champions (diving). I realize the numbers are probably going to matter more, I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea how MUCH more?...

Thanks again!

I think that's bad advice. Given that the OP may not get admitted in her state, telling her to take the MCAT again is poor advice. Her MCAT score is pretty decent, and the likelihood of her score increasing is low. If anything, she should not re take it.

I wasn't addressing the OP; I was addressing another poster who hasn't taken the MCAT yet. My advice was to wait to take it until she could get the best possible score. I specifically said DON'T retake.

Sorry for butting in, but what is this Hawaii DO school? I wasn't aware of any med schools in HI besides JABSOM.

ATSU-SOMA has a community clinic on the west side of Oahu, where you can spend years 2-4.

ATSU-SOMA has a community clinic on the west side of Oahu, where you can spend years 2-4.

Only Dr. Midlife would have dug up such an obscure but tantalizing fact.

Good luck this year girl.