Relationship Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So my boyfriend graduated in December and went back home to Georgia for the holidays. He was offered and took a job as a store manager for $1300/week. Not bad at all in my opinion. Thankfully his job lets him travel and he will be in Indiana some. It hurts because I won't get to see him often and long distance is hard. I have done it for 3 years previously (with a guy in another country and we never saw each other for that duration) so I can do it again. Have any of you had experience with this and it be successful as vet students? Any advice helps

A handful of us have done this and shared our stories on this thread and others. My advice has always been that it can work if both parties make it work. Learn to communicate regularly and well. Make time for each other. Be clear about your expectations and needs. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just really missing my family today. My hubby and kid are 300 km away at home while I'm here at school. We talk every day, but I only get home about once a month and... it's hard. :(

Just really missing my family today. My hubby and kid are 300 km away at home while I'm here at school. We talk every day, but I only get home about once a month and... it's hard. :(
Sorry squeak, being homesick sucks. I'm sure you'll see your family soon! Much love and hugs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry squeak, being homesick sucks. I'm sure you'll see your family soon! Much love and hugs.
Thanks! I was hoping to go home the weekend of the 19th-21st, but the way the budget is looking I don't know if that's going to be doable. I may have to hang on until Reading Week in the 3rd week of Feb instead. Discouraged.

Hello all...
Welp with interviews coming up soon, I have just started to prepare my boyfriend (of 3.5years) and I broke up on New Year’s Day and throughout the past week I had to deal with him moving out and the lease, and all the heartbreak that comes along with a breakup. I feel so unprepared and the next three days will probably be me with my head down practicing a load of mock questions. Sigh.... such horrible timing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello all...
Welp with interviews coming up soon, I have just started to prepare my boyfriend (of 3.5years) and I broke up on New Year’s Day and throughout the past week I had to deal with him moving out and the lease, and all the heartbreak that comes along with a breakup. I feel so unprepared and the next three days will probably be me with my head down practicing a load of mock questions. Sigh.... such horrible timing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm really sorry this happened. Many internet hugs. I had my beloved dog of 15 years die a week before my interview where I ultimately got accepted. I know how hard this can be, but you got this!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if this is the right thread for this but it would help so much just to talk to someone about the situation.

A little background: I will be a first-year veterinary student at my IS school this fall. Fortunately, I have been able to save up a bit of money for tuition by working full time and having my undergraduate tuition covered by academic and athletic scholarships. This week my SO and I found out I am 7 weeks pregnant, with my due date landing right when school starts. He is graduating this spring and has an excellent paying job offer lined up as an electrical engineer. We plan on living together while he works full time and I attend vet school. The news is a complete shock to us because we hoped to wait until 28 -30 to start a family so that we could be more financially stable/comfortable in our career fields. Also, we have always used protection and both of us have compromised fertility due to health issues so this pregnancy is an anomaly to say the least.

Has anybody had the experience of going into first year with a newborn (or know someone who has)? I can not imagine the stress and workload involved in such a commitment. It seems impossible. Also, I am worried about the toll all of the stress will take on our relationship. He has been incredible in every way and extremely supportive whereas I feel very anxious for what's to come. Any advice/stories would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but it would help so much just to talk to someone about the situation.

A little background: I will be a first-year veterinary student at my IS school this fall. Fortunately, I have been able to save up a bit of money for tuition by working full time and having my undergraduate tuition covered by academic and athletic scholarships. This week my SO and I found out I am 7 weeks pregnant, with my due date landing right when school starts. He is graduating this spring and has an excellent paying job offer lined up as an electrical engineer. We plan on living together while he works full time and I attend vet school. The news is a complete shock to us because we hoped to wait until 28 -30 to start a family so that we could be more financially stable/comfortable in our career fields. Also, we have always used protection and both of us have compromised fertility due to health issues so this pregnancy is an anomaly to say the least.

Has anybody had the experience of going into first year with a newborn (or know someone who has)? I can not imagine the stress and workload involved in such a commitment. It seems impossible. Also, I am worried about the toll all of the stress will take on our relationship. He has been incredible in every way and extremely supportive whereas I feel very anxious for what's to come. Any advice/stories would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, although unexpected, congratulations! I don't have that experience nor do I know anyone who has, but I will say it's probably better that this is happening right before 1st year rather than right before 4th. The time commitment of 4th year probably would have made having a newborn at the same time extremely difficult. Will you guys have any family nearby that can help once you start school? Maybe someone that can watch the new baby for you while you're in class? I think another thing to consider is deferring your admission until next year, as sucky as that would be. I'm sure the admissions department would understand your situation, and you could continue saving up money towards tuition by working until the baby comes. Good luck!

First of all, although unexpected, congratulations! I don't have that experience nor do I know anyone who has, but I will say it's probably better that this is happening right before 1st year rather than right before 4th. The time commitment of 4th year probably would have made having a newborn at the same time extremely difficult. Will you guys have any family nearby that can help once you start school? Maybe someone that can watch the new baby for you while you're in class? I think another thing to consider is deferring your admission until next year, as sucky as that would be. I'm sure the admissions department would understand your situation, and you could continue saving up money towards tuition by working until the baby comes. Good luck!

A girl in the class above me had a toddler age child starting vet school and had another during third year and she graduated without taking any extra time. Not sure what all they did, but they handled it. I'm sure it's a challenge, but been proven possible. A girl in my class was a parent before starting school, and another was pregnant during fourth year. So I don't think it's a super uncommon thing.

Congratulations! :biglove:

She doesn’t post often but I know she’s still around, @ADM1220. She started vet school with a toddler and may have some advice/tips :)

My classmate had a kid in 2nd year I think but he's a dude so may be a bit different. He made it work although they had help from relatives too. I know someone in the year above me had a baby in third year. She ended up taking some time off and dropped into my class for part of clinics.

You could always see about taking one year off so that you don’t have newborn + trying to start vet school both at once. Then you just switch to the class of 2023 and you have a year to adjust...

Reactions: 4 users

Congratulations! :biglove:

I babysat a group of kids for a few years during undergrad. Two moms pooled their kids and hired ~4 sitters for shifts during the week, so they could have in-home child care but split the costs. I was paid about $10/hour and I thought it was a sweet gig. (Min. wage here is less than $7.50) If you want to use an at-home babysitter, you could try to find other mom friends who could set up a similar situation with you to save a little bit of money. Just a suggestion!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a first year student and have two kids (9mo and 3yo). If you are having your child right at the beginning of the year, you might want to look into deferring for a year. That way you can get settled in with parenthood and your SO can get settled in with his new job before you start school. I wont sugarcoat it, vet school is REALLY hard with children. Its doable, but you are going to have to be a lot more efficient with your time than your classmates are and you will probably have to sacrifice some on extracurriculars. If you have any other specific questions let me know!

Thank you all for your advice! It is so nice to have this community as a resource and soundboard. And it makes me feel so much better hearing that it can be done (albeit a great challenge). I am going to speak with one of the counselors at my school and look into possibly deferring a year to start with the Class of 2023. I already paid my deposit so I do not know how this works. If it isn't possible, my school has pretty much all of the lectures accessible online, except lab. Which is ideal since it would be less of a burden on both of us emotionally and financially if I were able to take classes from home and bond with the baby while he is working. Then the only schedule we would have to work out is having him/babysitter/grandparent with the baby when I'm in lab or exams.

Again, thank you for your input and ideas. You all have helped me feel much better. We have our second ultrasound appointment tomorrow! So hoping for a good report :love:

My anatomy professor in vet school found out she was pregnant on the first day SHE started vet school. It can be done, but I think deferral is a good option if possible :)

This might be an odd question and is more just out of curiosity rather than any importance but... do you all think it's easier going into vet school while in a relationship or single? Obviously it depends on you and your individual situation, but it seems like a good number of people go into vet school already in some sort of relationship. I'm sure it's stressful trying to maintain a relationship through the whole process, but I'm also sure having that support of someone to come home to is helpful at the same time. I'm perpetually single, so kind of interested in hearing this from a different point of view.

This might be an odd question and is more just out of curiosity rather than any importance but... do you all think it's easier going into vet school while in a relationship or single? Obviously it depends on you and your individual situation, but it seems like a good number of people go into vet school already in some sort of relationship. I'm sure it's stressful trying to maintain a relationship through the whole process, but I'm also sure having that support of someone to come home to is helpful at the same time. I'm perpetually single, so kind of interested in hearing this from a different point of view.
I think there isn’t really an answer to your question. In many ways, life in general is easier single. You only have to look out for yourself. You can do what you want to do all of the time. And in many ways life is easier with a significant other. Someone always has your back no matter what. You can count on always having that person’s company, which is comforting. Both of these situations can be beneficial during vet school.

I think the answer to your question largely lies in your personality, how you handle stress, how much you value companionship, and where you are in your life. I’ve been single, and yeah it was fun and more carefree, but I like this better. He is what I need.

My advice to you would be to not put your life on hold because you think you have to follow a set of rules to be happy. You do you. Everything else will fall into place.

I think the answer to your question largely lies in your personality, how you handle stress, how much you value companionship, and where you are in your life.
^Reiterating this. To expand on that:

I am an anxious person and I'm fairly close with my family but they unfortunately never went through the experience of going away to school, living in a dorm, etc. So it was very hard for me to find support from them in college. I also didn't have any super close friends from high school. I had to figure things out on my own and it was very lonely at first. However, I think I needed that experience to learn how to be independent. If I were in a relationship at that point in my life, I don't think I would've grown as much as a person.

Just for some context, I too was perpetually single. All of my firsts (first kiss, first boyfriend, etc) happened when I was 20. TWENTY. I felt so far behind everyone. First bf and I are still together. I can't imagine going into veterinary school without him. He's in a PhD program right now and is going through some pretty stressful times. We're each other's cheerleaders and even though I'm in veterinary med and he's in electrical engineering, we know how to support one another and relate to each other's stress.

Anyway, enough of my blathering.

Also adding to say that I don’t see my relationship as “work” or “hard”. If life is going swimmingly and you already feel like your relationship is a chore, then something isn’t right. Yes we spend time together, but it never feels like something I have to do like take out the trash. I want to do something just us with the free time I have. When you live together it also becomes normal to be in eachother’s company all the time, and that feeling that you have to cut out time to do things together is less intense since eventually you end up doing everything together. Communication is important and explaining that the free time you’ll have in vet school will be significantly less than you have is now essential. My boyfriend is super easy going and laid back. I can see how being with someone more uptight or high maintainence may start to feel like a job.

I'm basically also perpetually single (haven't been in a relationship since middle school) and was single when I started vet school. I'll admit that I did sometimes find myself wishing that I had that direct support system when stress was high, especially the first year. Yes, I had family, but they were hours away and... I don't know, I just think that I may have had a much easier time transitioning if I had a partner with whom we could reciprocate and be each other's cheerleaders. It probably would have made things easier financially, too.

It's really hard to give good insight on this because I can only speculate generally on how things may have been had I been in an active relationship during my time in vet school. I do think it would have helped me out mentally and I wouldn't have felt as tremendously alone as I often did, at the very least.
I’m sorry you had a hard time, Elkhart :( but I’m glad things are looking up for you now.

And I really like that Lycanroc :p

I’ll preface my reply by saying that I entered vet school single and 27, having broken up with a long term boyfriend about 6 months before moving and beginning school. I’m 29 now and at the point in my life though where I want to find a partner and get married soon, so I actively dated (mostly through online dating) and had a boyfriend at the end of my first semester of vet school. However, that relationship was awful and he was not considerate of my time or needs. I definitely had a slight dip in my grades around the time I dated him because of this. I finished my first year single and casually dated over the summer and into second year. Then after fall semester my second year, I met a guy and we hit it off immediately. We’re still together and I can honestly say he was such a help with getting me through spring semester (notoriously the hardest one at my school). I used my study breaks to see him and he was there for me when I needed to rant about school. He was amazing with how he handled me being crazy busy, and I feel like it brought us closer. Because this relationship is still quite new, I obviously don’t have the financial help from him, but he did pick up more tabs at restaurants and such.

All that to say that I’ve experienced both aspects to your question. While being single allowed me to focus solely on school, being in a relationship kept me sane and I greatly appreciate all that my boyfriend does for me. It is really helpful to have someone to rant to that has no idea what is going on in classes. He just knows that I need to talk and hear that I’m amazing and intelligent and beautiful and can get through anything I put my mind to.

Last edited:
I'm also here if anyone wants to talk about being perpetually single.

Especially in high school, I thought I was plague-ridden with the lack of male interest in my direction. A few boys literally recoiled if someone else mentioned "going on a date with Johnna." Boys can be so mean.

I will say that things got a lot better when I got my own cat and just enjoyed being with her. I had quit Tinder and just decided I would be a crazy cat lady for the rest of my life a few weeks before I met my bf. :laugh:

I'm also here if anyone wants to talk about being perpetually single.

Especially in high school, I thought I was plague-ridden with the lack of male interest in my direction. A few boys literally recoiled if someone else mentioned "going on a date with Johnna." Boys can be so mean.

I will say that things got a lot better when I got my own cat and just enjoyed being with her. I had quit Tinder and just decided I would be a crazy cat lady for the rest of my life a few weeks before I met my bf. :laugh:
I also got an IUD 3 days before I met my first boyfriend ironically :naughty:

I think it depends on the person (as with most things in life). I went into vet school single and acquired my current boyfriend (ha) at the start of my 2nd year. It was nice to be single in first year to give me time to adjust to vet school dynamics, focus on making my own friends, etc. But it was also nice to have a partner throughout the later and more academically difficult years who understood the process. He was also a student and I definitely studied a lot more because of him - we would have "library dates" on a weekly basis.

I actaually have the perspective of being in a relationship during the same chunk of first with the same dude during original first year and the repeat first year.

I entered vet school technically single, but casually talking to someone I have a lot of history with. However, it wasn't positive because he was doing poorly on a personal level and I wasn't doing too hot either. That relatonship was a drain on both of us at the time. A single fight resulted in us not speaking for several months and not seeing each other until the most recent Thanksgiving.

Now, in an "official" relationship with the same guy and it's a totally different dynamic because we figured out better, more positive coping mechanisms for tough times and are personally doing way better as individials. We handle disagreements way more maturely and are far more supportive of one another.

I honestly think had we been in this positive relationship rather than that first go at it, I would have handled first year 1.0 better and would not have failed out and needed to repeat. Likewise, had I been in a overall better mental state during first year 1.0, I'm pretty certain I would have passed, regardless whether I had been totally single or in a relationship.

Just as everyone has said, a good relationship is generally an asset for the most part, but a bad relationship is a strong negative and drains you. So whether your single or in a relationship, both can be a negative or positive depending on where your mental and emotional state is at.

I think it all depends on the relationship and person you're with IMO. I started dating someone in the fall of my first year and broke up with him in the Spring of first year. He was depressed and would often push me away. "Forgot" about our valentines day plans and didn't want to hang out because he was focusing on school... he failed out in the end. When he wasn't there for me when my grandmother died I knew I just had to break it off. I am now in a new relationship and it is a total 360 difference from the other one. I finally have more good days than bad. We've only been dating a couple months but can already feel the connection, chemistry, and positive vibes. Hopefully this will help my mental state as I go into second year.

Back from vacation now. Over vacation, my SO and I endured the first of (likely) many cry sessions about being long distance soon. It was a lot of, “I’m afraid we’ll drift apart” and worst-case scenarios like that. We both are each other’s best friends, so I think we’ll be ok. We have planned to Skype every day, even if we don’t have much to talk about—just being with the other person while cooking/studying and whatnot. My big concern is that physical affection is big in our relationship. So that’s gunna suck.

It’ll suck. We’ll get through it, though many tears are likely to be shed.

Reactions: 4 users
I’ll preface my reply by saying that I entered vet school single and 27, having broken up with a long term boyfriend about 6 months before moving and beginning school. I’m 29 now and at the point in my life though where I want to find a partner and get married soon, so I actively dated (mostly through online dating) and had a boyfriend at the end of my first semester of vet school. However, that relationship was awful and he was not considerate of my time or needs. I definitely had a slight dip in my grades around the time I dated him because of this. I finished my first year single and casually dated over the summer and into second year. Then after fall semester my second year, I met a guy and we hit it off immediately. We’re still together and I can honestly say he was such a help with getting me through spring semester (notoriously the hardest one at my school). I used my study breaks to see him and he was there for me when I needed to rant about school. He was amazing with how he handled me being crazy busy, and I feel like it brought us closer. Because this relationship is still quite new, I obviously don’t have the financial help from him, but he did pick up more tabs at restaurants and such.

All that to say that I’ve experienced both aspects to your question. While being single allowed me to focus solely on school, being in a relationship kept me sane and I greatly appreciate all that my boyfriend does for me. It is really helpful to have someone to rant to that has no idea what is going on in classes. He just knows that I need to talk and hear that I’m amazing and intelligent and beautiful and can get through anything I put my mind to.
Wow I posted this only a month ago? Remember that amazing guy I talk about being with? Yeah, he broke up with me recently, saying that the spark wasn’t there and that was the last bit missing. Otherwise I would’ve been exactly what he’s looking for. What I said still stands about him being an awesome support system though. He also made me realize that ambition and passion are sexy and that there are men out there that find me succeeding attractive. So for now I’m going to cry some more and feel bad, but eventually I’ll pick myself up and get back out there.

I'm stressed out because my SO hasn't been able to get a job in Corvallis, and we/he are low on money. I really really want him to get a job but applying to so many and not getting many bites is stressful and disheartening for him as well :(

I'm stressed out because my SO hasn't been able to get a job in Corvallis, and we/he are low on money. I really really want him to get a job but applying to so many and not getting many bites is stressful and disheartening for him as well :(
Been there. I have no advice, but it sucks!

My husband is in the same boat here, he's been applying to things for months and nothing's worked out yet. He had an interview today for a position that sounds like it'd be a good fit, unfortunately it's not at all related to his degree/what he wants to do long-term, but it'd only be for 2 years max. Fingers crossed it works out for both our SOs soon! We're also really stressing about finances right now. :confused:

My husband is in the same boat here, he's been applying to things for months and nothing's worked out yet. He had an interview today for a position that sounds like it'd be a good fit, unfortunately it's not at all related to his degree/what he wants to do long-term, but it'd only be for 2 years max. Fingers crossed it works out for both our SOs soon! We're also really stressing about finances right now. :confused:
Yeah he's had a number of interviews and such but nothing has panned out thus far besides getting hired as a club soccer coach (and they haven't paid him yet lol). It's hard for him to even find things to apply to because a lot of them require a year or two of experience. It is stressful though, isn't it? Everything will work out in the end.

Yeah he's had a number of interviews and such but nothing has panned out thus far besides getting hired as a club soccer coach (and they haven't paid him yet lol). It's hard for him to even find things to apply to because a lot of them require a year or two of experience. It is stressful though, isn't it? Everything will work out in the end.
Apply anyways. What could go wrong, they say no?

Sometimes the 1-2 year requirement is a really a suggestion

Mr. Z had a hard time finding a job here for similar reasons - he had just graduated and everything required at least a year of experience. He did find one eventually though. Hopefully it works out that way for you guys too!

He did end up having to stay in our hometown for a year after I moved out here because he was able to find a job there. It sucked but it was better than him being unemployed.

Apply anyways. What could go wrong, they say no?

Sometimes the 1-2 year requirement is a really a suggestion
I think he has been applying to virtually everything. Even minimum wage warehouse jobs he hasn't gotten called back on :(. He had a really promising phone interview with a company last week, but didn't get called about it this week. He emailed just to check in today. I was really hopeful about that too

Mr. Z had a hard time finding a job here for similar reasons - he had just graduated and everything required at least a year of experience. He did find one eventually though. Hopefully it works out that way for you guys too!

He did end up having to stay in our hometown for a year after I moved out here because he was able to find a job there. It sucked but it was better than him being unemployed.
He's already moved here with me as he didn't want to stay in the Midwest and he doesn't have to pay rent until he finds a job. But yeah he's even been applying to places over an hour away to expand the horizon

Tfw you find out plane tickets to visit your SO typically run at about $215 round trip :heckyeah:
aka broke vet student can actually see her bf monthly

Reactions: 6 users
I think he has been applying to virtually everything. Even minimum wage warehouse jobs he hasn't gotten called back on :(. He had a really promising phone interview with a company last week, but didn't get called about it this week. He emailed just to check in today. I was really hopeful about that too
EDIT: He got called back about this one and he got the job!! He just has to do a background check and stuff. Omg I am so excited. Things were getting really tight financially and I was getting so worried. Plus, he will work from home and they will buy him a computer (and possibly pay the internet bill, woohoo). Y'all this is such a relief.

Reactions: 17 users
EDIT: He got called back about this one and he got the job!! He just has to do a background check and stuff. Omg I am so excited. Things were getting really tight financially and I was getting so worried. Plus, he will work from home and they will buy him a computer (and possibly pay the internet bill, woohoo). Y'all this is such a relief.
That's amazing!!! Congratulations!!

Congrats!! My husband also ended up getting the job he interviewed for last week, he starts Thursday and is really excited!

Reactions: 9 users