Remote Service Delivery Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I typically will do a 1-hour remote (ZOOM) intake meeting for each client (toddler, referred for ASD eval), typically followed by in-person assessment a few weeks later (due to authorization turnaround times). A parent notified me that she and the father will be away (in a location in which I am not licensed), but child will be with grandma locally (where I am licensed). All parties would participate in the ZOOM appointment. I told them I would need to reschedule, as ALL participants need to be in a jurisdiction where I'm licensed, even though the client (child) will be. What is your take on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Need to read the service agreements with the payer, but I was under the impression that if the client was in the jurisdiction, you were all set. Also, you could double check, many states allow for temporary practice, even without psypact. Essentially, no more than x number of days of service in a calendar year and you cannot have a permanent physical address that you practice out of.

Need to read the service agreements with the payer, but I was under the impression that if the client was in the jurisdiction, you were all set. Also, you could double check, many states allow for temporary practice, even without psypact. Essentially, no more than x number of days of service in a calendar year and you cannot have a permanent physical address that you practice out of.
Client must be in jurisdiction for this service. Ultimately, it comes down to the definition of "client." is the client exclusively the child (which is my interpretation), or do the parents count too? This situation is unusual in that the parents and child are in different location. Seems pretty clear to me that any complaints against me would be handled by Mass. board (where I am, am licensed, and where the child is). However, if the parents have an issue with something I say to them and they are in different location, who would hear that complaint? Given that rescheduling intake within next week or so is possible without having to change the testing date (which they have been waiting for since initial referral in July 2022!!), I'm going to be conservative and reschedule. It is an interesting issue though.

Reactions: 1 user