Rescheduling an interview date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyyimhayley

PennVet Class of 2020!! :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Tried to use the search function and couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any advice on rescheduling an interview? Iowa offered me an interview the same weekend of my chorus concert. I tried really hard hard to make flights around it, but there was no possible way to do it. So I chose to go to the interview instead of the concert because that was more important to me. I emailed my director, knowing he's be disappointed, but thinking it would be okay.

Turns out it's really not okay. I got a long email back from him urging me to reconsider. I'm on a music scholarship contingent on my being in chorus, and he threatened to take it away. As well as informing me that he doesn't think vet school would want someone who breaks a commitment like this considering I have a solo and I am in a small ensemble.

Is there anything I can do about this? I already scheduled my time, and I'd be asking to move not just to a new time, but a different weekend. This is one of my first choice schools, and I really can't risk potentially losing a spot here.

Any advice?

Hayley

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet would to be call the school and see what they say about it. Every school handles this differently, and some will be more flexible than others! I would call Monday and see if they have any advice for you.

Ultimately depends on the school. Some are more relaxed about things like this, others not so much. I feel like the worse thing you can do is ask --just do it sooner rather than later. I was able to get one interview rescheduled due to a huge snow storm that was affecting multiple people and I was worried my flight wouldn't leave because Baltimore and snow just don't mix well. The school it was for had already planned on adding a new set of interview dates due to the number of people affected and just has awesomely nice administrative people so it all worked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Does it look bad asking? I don't want them to think I'm not fully committed to the school. If they say no I'm still going to go to my interview...

Also it's Iowa they don't accept phone calls only their applicant messaging server, though they are quick to respond in the past for me.

I don't think it will look bad, and you can always ask without telling them your name.

I had to call Texas a&m to ask about interviews since I realized I will be in Costa Rica for the dates they have had interviews in the past. I just called and asked someone in the admissions office, and they recommended I cancel my trip if I am granted an interview (but I won't know until 12/20... So ugh). They didn't ask for my name or anything, so there's no way it could have affected my application!

I have this fear that they'll do something weird like cancel my interview and throw me back in with everyone else for reconsideration for the next time slots if I ask.

I don't think it will look bad, and you can always ask without telling them your name.

I had to call Texas a&m to ask about interviews since I realized I will be in Costa Rica for the dates they have had interviews in the past. I just called and asked someone in the admissions office, and they recommended I cancel my trip if I am granted an interview (but I won't know until 12/20... So ugh). They didn't ask for my name or anything, so there's no way it could have affected my application!

They don't accept phone calls I'd have to be me by their messaging server. I don't know if anyone would answer my question if I called. And if they found out who I was they might be mad I called cause they don't like it!

They aren't going to just deny you an interview. You just need to ask.

The worst they are going to say is, "Rescheduling of an interview is not possible. Please let us know if you will still be attending your interview."

Reactions: 1 users