Research Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flowerguy

----
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is research abroad? I was offered a research position in Germany for the summer. It's based on the research I've been doing for the last 2 years now. 3.6 G.P.A 515 MCAT. Will that increase my chances ?

Members don't see this ad.

Productivity and growth from the experience is what matters. Doesn't matter where you do it though bonuses can be found working for famous PIs, at famous institutes, etc. At this stage in your career though, it matters almost none.

How important is research abroad? I was offered a research position in Germany for the summer. It's based on the research I've been doing for the last 2 years now. 3.6 G.P.A 515 MCAT. Will that increase my chances ?
Very few people research abroad. Whether this helps your application depends on your experiences and whether any publications come out of the work. I do note that lots of Adcoms on here frown on foreign ECs that smack of manufactured life experiences for rich kids, like flying to Africa to play with AIDS babies for a few hours so you can put it into your PS, and you are sometimes probably better off just finding a lab at your undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an offer at Heidelberg University. For their research program. They do have an attractive lab with maybe a pub coming my way. How would they look at me going to another university abroad. Would hurt even if the rsearch is something I'm passionate about ?

Heidelberg is a pretty solid German school - I say go for it. You'll be a solid applicant anyhow, might as well have some fun in your gap yr

Yep I think applicants value research a little too much. It only becomes very helpful (to the extent applicants think it does) when you excel at it (like reallllly excel at it); it's just like any other EC whether it be underwater basket weaving or olympic lifting.