Research but no publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarPop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been updating my CV and reading into residency applications and stuff and realized I've been in the lab at school for almost 3 years but have no posters or publications because all the research we do is proprietary work. One of the main projects I've been working on for 2 years has been pre-clinical work for a drug that was approved in January for phase I trials beginning next month.

Is this a good or bad thing for residency applications? It seems like most residencies prefer normal research that is published by the student which is making me think the last 2-3 years has been a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad.

The last 2 to 3 years have not been a waste of time. I am sure you have learned a great deal through your research. If the question about publications comes up, just be able to explain why you have not been able to publish and you should be okay

I've been updating my CV and reading into residency applications and stuff and realized I've been in the lab at school for almost 3 years but have no posters or publications because all the research we do is proprietary work. One of the main projects I've been working on for 2 years has been pre-clinical work for a drug that was approved in January for phase I trials beginning next month.

Is this a good or bad thing for residency applications? It seems like most residencies prefer normal research that is published by the student which is making me think the last 2-3 years has been a waste of time.

Polarpop, I have similar problem. I have been doing pre clinicals too and they actually included my data but couldn't include my name. unfortunately I did research at 2 different schools and in 2 different departments. But I don't know what to explain when they ask why I don't have poster or publication.

Research experience is important, and many interviewers will ask about your research. Just be prepared to talk about it. I would rather you have real research experience than pretend publication experience. Most pharmacy students don't have real publication experience as much as they have their name tacked on by a grateful professor.