Research Experience- VMCAS Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AussieDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a question. I am a pre-vet junior. I will be applying this year. I currently don't have any research experience. I have an interview for an internship this summer which involves research but I do not know if I will get it or not yet. My question is, how bad does it look to check the box on the VMCAS application that says "I do not have any research experience" and to leave that page blank?

I am also wondering about the honors and awards page of the application, is that just for college honors and awards or can you put in high school honors and awards too?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the same exact situation - If I don't get the research position I want for the summer, I will have nothing.
I know of one person getting in without any research, so I was guessing and hoping it's possible. But it's definitely really good to have research so idk. Maybe ask the professors at your school if you can volunteer to research with them for the summer, if the internship doesn't work out?
I am not planning to put any academic awards from high school but I am thinking to put applicable extracurricular awards, like awards I got in languages and horseback riding.

I'm in the same boat. I've prioritized getting more vet experience over getting research so it is what it is. I might try for something in the fall but I definitely won't have anything to put in the research section of the application. I think if depends on the school you're applying to. If your stats are great otherwise, I think research is a bonus for most schools, not something that will make or break you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you can put honors and awards as far back as high school. At least, that's how it was when I was applying two cycles ago. IIRC, the instructions for that section are pretty clear, and it should say whether high school honors and awards are applicable.

Hi! I have a question. I am a pre-vet junior. I will be applying this year. I currently don't have any research experience. I have an interview for an internship this summer which involves research but I do not know if I will get it or not yet. My question is, how bad does it look to check the box on the VMCAS application that says "I do not have any research experience" and to leave that page blank?

I am also wondering about the honors and awards page of the application, is that just for college honors and awards or can you put in high school honors and awards too?
Thanks!
I checked the no research box and I don't think it was really a hindrance. As long as you have enough other experiences I don't think it's a real problem.
And yes, you can put high school awards on there too.

I really don't think research is worth doing just to check off a box, if it's not something that really interests you. Just doing a few hours here and there for a semester on a project you don't really care about or understand all too well isn't going to make you an instant winner. Trust me, it's very easy to spot the diff between someone who just 'did' research, and someone who cared about it. The former might get you brownie points but so would a number of other activities you'll probably find more worthwhile for you.