Residency Interview Attire Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't read the remainder of the thread, but my school just had an interviewing meeting that included the dean of our school as well as program directors from a variety of programs at the institution (including medicine, peds, orthopedics, EM, general surgery, and OB/GYN). I'll pass along what the general advice was, much of which has been mentioned already:

-Conservative is best.

-For men, the sea of navy blue and gray is acceptable.

-For women, darker colors are generally better over bright, flashy colors. Suits are the standard.

-For men with facial hair, make sure that it is neatly trimmed.

-For women who choose to wear makeup, non-flashy colors should be used. Purses are fine to carry around but shouldn't be ostentatious. The women on the panel strongly recommended not wearing a pair of heels for the first time at an interview. You will be doing a significant amount of walking and don't want to be uncomfortable.

-Make sure you carry-on your interview attire if traveling by plane, even if you're checking a bag. You don't want to run the risk that your clothing gets left behind.

I'm sure there were other things, but those were the main points I can remember.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The suit:
-For pete's sake don't get a black suit.

A little late chiming in, but man I'm glad for this thread and advice. In my med studentness when I first presented a poster at a conference, I wore a navy suit and may have well been wearing a yellow polka dot suit with a tophat (everyone else was wearing a black suit). I ASS-U-ME'd this same formality would hold true for residency interviews.

A little late chiming in, but man I'm glad for this thread and advice. In my med studentness when I first presented a poster at a conference, I wore a navy suit and may have well been wearing a yellow polka dot suit with a tophat (everyone else was wearing a black suit). I ASS-U-ME'd this same formality would hold true for residency interviews.

What was the average age? If guys in their 40s and 50s were all wearing black suits, that'd be surprising. A lot of young guys don't seem to know that a black suit is considered a fashion faux pas. I think it's a class/immigrant thing, mainly.

Personally, I like the black suit + neon blue/green/blood-red shirt combo. Style and sophistication.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh.. WTF. Black suits aren't bad if you have the right shirt and tie. Grey is my preference though.

Black suits are for funerals and weddings. Not for job interviews. Classic mistake.
Thank goodness he has the benefit of Fancy's fashion sense. She'll need to dress him for interviews. "Black suits aren't bad if you have the right shirt and tie." :lol::lol::lol:

What was the average age? If guys in their 40s and 50s were all wearing black suits, that'd be surprising. A lot of young guys don't seem to know that a black suit is considered a fashion faux pas. I think it's a class/immigrant thing, mainly.

Personally, I like the black suit + neon blue/green/blood-red shirt combo. Style and sophistication.
It was all med students, interns, and residents.

It was all med students, interns, and residents.

Figured as much. I think it will become less common as the black suit = ugly meme spreads across the internet.

Black suits are for funerals and weddings. Not for job interviews. Classic mistake.

Residency interviews aren't funerals?

I'll stick to my purple pimps suit with fedora and feather.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank goodness he has the benefit of Fancy's fashion sense. She'll need to dress him for interviews. "Black suits aren't bad if you have the right shirt and tie." :lol::lol::lol:
I just disagree. Considering you're interviewing with people in academia who don't know fashion from faux pas, a black suit isn't a mistake. Is it the best? No. But I find it wrong to preach it as the ultimate rule on dress attire.
I hate navy and never understood the appeal. A dark gray is the best, imo. I have no trouble finding a tie or shoes for it. But I think too many people are impressing the idea that a black suit will kill you at residency interviews. It's not like you're walking in there naked with a watch.

Seriously.

A Brooks brothers solid supima cotton dress shirt is the standard of dress shirts.

It is about THE most safe for interview shirt you could wear.

Like you I have it in light blue, Oxford blue, and white. I actually have two of the white and Oxford blue, as well as a white and a blue in a button down collar. Oh and a pink.

The color choice should be dictated by the suit and tie but any of Oxford blue, light blue, or white would be fine.

No one in their right mind would call that too casual
Nice. Glad I found the shirt for my suit. The earlier responses scared me for a sec...

I'm gonna work on getting a new suit and shoes. My other ones are too broken in.

Nice. Glad I found the shirt for my suit. The earlier responses scared me for a sec...

I'm gonna work on getting a new suit and shoes. My other ones are too broken in.

I didn't mean to if I did, just my personal preference, cleaner look. BB makes great shirts

Members don't see this ad :)
I just disagree. Considering you're interviewing with people in academia who don't know fashion from faux pas, a black suit isn't a mistake. Is it the best? No. But I find it wrong to preach it as the ultimate rule on dress attire.
I hate navy and never understood the appeal. A dark gray is the best, imo. I have no trouble finding a tie or shoes for it. But I think too many people are impressing the idea that a black suit will kill you at residency interviews. It's not like you're walking in there naked with a watch.

It definitely won't kill you at residency interviews. If you're going straight by "interview fashion," you won't be terribly out of place. At about half my interviews candidates were still dressed in majority black. But I did have two interviews where my interviewer specifically noted and complimented my charcoal suit, saying it was nice to see something other than black. General fashion rules do dictate that black is for funerals/weddings, and many interviewers know that. But word hasn't gotten around to many of the sub-25 crowd.

From my experience on the other side, when I was interviewing pre-meds, I immediately noticed the sloppy, ill-fitted suits that 99% of the guys came in with. It was glaringly obvious, and considering most of them looked really young, they all looked like they were playing dress-up for the day. A well-tailored suit is the most fundamental step towards looking professional.

ridethecliche - Most of your bargain hunting is probably local shops, but any recommendations on online places or chains you routinely find good bargains at? I've gotten a little carried away now that I'm finally getting a paycheck, I should probably rein it in a bit...

Reactions: 2 users

It might not kill you, but there are definitely people who would hold it against you. Makes you look like a kid, or a hayseed, or a FOB. Why take a chance?

Brooks brothers clothing is for fat old men. Dior Homme or Carol Christain Poell is what you should be wearing.

Okay, first off, you can wear whatever you want to an interview. No one can stop you from putting on a black, pink, or polka dot suit. The choice, ultimately, is yours. Your opinions of what looks good and what doesn't are valid, but that's all they are, just opinions. Those don't circumvent the rules/guidelines/etc for attire.

That said, there are accepted customs to semi formal and formal attire that exist despite any personal opinions you may have. These customs include the idea that a black suit is appropriate for funerals and weddings and is inappropriate for interviews. Accepted colors for suits for interviewing are charcoal and navy. If you wanted to follow the norms for dressing with the appropriate formality, that advice, which has been mentioned multiple times before, is what you should listen to.

Obviously, your suit likely will not make or break your interview. People will wear a black suit and match. I'm not disputing that. Nor do I dispute that you may think your black suit looks sharp or whatever. It very well may look sharp, and it likely won't be a problem if you wear it to an interview.

I just wonder why people would ask what they should wear to an interview and when they hear the rules for interviewing attire, deliberately go against the advice that they're given. No one is saying that wearing the correct suit color is a make or break thing, but if you want to dress correctly, this is how you do it.

Reactions: 4 users
It's been said many times in different forms, you're not trying to find a mate or get Bill Cunningham to take your picture. You just want to dress so that no one actually notices how you're dressed, and focuses on your competency.

In terms of men's suits, Brooks Brothers has been mentioned in both a positive and negative light. I would have concur with those who suggested it was very appropriate for interviews. There is actually a world of difference between dressing fashionably and dressing professionally (unless your profession is fashion or entertainment or something). Brooks Brothers are sort of a major standard in conservative men's fashion in the US. That's important for a couple of reasons. One is that being conservative is a good way to have people not think about your clothing, and focus on your main attributes as an applicant. Secondly, it means that the clothes don't go in and out of fashion quickly. Brooks Brothers can be quite expensive, but as noted they do have periodic sales, or you can just use it as a standard example to see what is reasonable. Also, they do have a cheaper "Outlet" brand clothing, and those outlets themselves have sales, which would be even more affordable. Some people will tell you the quality of the outlet branded clothing is not as good, and that may be true. However, for an interview suit, you may only need to wear it a few times. They also sell women's clothing, which is also in s similar vein of being quite conservative. Anyway, their staff have uniformly been very knowledgeable about dressing professionally, both at the main stores and the outlets. If you are not very knowledgeable fashion-wise, you can go in and tell them that, and they can hook you up and dress you in a very conservative manner.

For women in particular, I also think the store Theory (it's in some major cities) has a great line of conservative, but attractive professional clothing:
http://www.theory.com/womens-suits/womens-suits,default,sc.html
http://www.theory.com/womens-classics-theory/womens-classics,default,sc.html
Having accompanied women shopping there for professional clothing, I was really impressed by their sales staff. They had some great advice about how to put together different outfits using conservative clothing staples, and then how to repurpose the same clothing for different situations. Granted, I am getting far out of my depth once I come to be talking about women's clothing.

It might be a bit of a cultural difference, but when I've been in Asia, essentially every professional man and woman seemed to be in a black suit. It also seems to me that it is more acceptable for women to wear black suits for things like interviews in the US. Maybe because things like softer more textured blouses or jewelry make the outfits appear less stark.

That being said, I would agree with some of the previous posts about the importance of being somewhat comfortable in your clothes and interview suit. It doesn't hurt to wear it a few times in advance, so you get comfortable in it, and don't look like someone playing dress up.

I typically wear very soft shoes (or even flip-flips when I am not doing something clinical), but when I dress up, I have much firmer shoes, so I prophylactically use 2x2 bandaids or something similar to prevent blisters. Often on interviews, you have to walk around a lot and they often give you a tour, and you don't want to get a blister.

I have obviously never interviewed anyone for a residency slot, but I have interviewed people for a number of different positions (and for school admissions). For better or worse, part of what the process of judging someone's clothes for an interview is about is seeing if they can get the message and conform in certain situations. Depending on the position, you often want people you are selecting to be able to sometimes just quietly conform. Sometimes you may want exciting new ideas, but sometimes you just want them to do what is expected of them, and part of doing what is expected is being able to understand the greater social cues of what you should dress like for an interview. At the the end, I really agree with muleta4. It's not that you can't wear whatever you want, but the reason this thread exists is that there seems to be a base expectation that you can dress a certain way for interviews. If the person interviewing you doesn't feel like you can do that, they may question your ability to fulfill other expectations they have for you. Or they might not care at all. However, I have never heard anyone ever having trouble interviewing by being too formal; you look earnest. The same is true of showing up overdressed for a new clerkship or anything else. People may tease you about it on your first day, for being too formal, but I don't think anyone holds that against you. On the other hand, showing up very informal can potentially hurt you. In the same way, showing up in something exotic, different, or flashy, can work against you. I would note that there may be some groups that do creative things, like art or design, or some tech companies who expect everyone to be in a hoodie and cargo shirts, and where wearing a conservative suit might count against you, but that is not medicine.

Good luck in your interviews! I hope you can find some clothes that you find comfortable and also minimize your anxiety about the interview process.

I want to know about the pregnancy interviewing outfits as well. I feel like wearing heels would be just asking for giant blimp feet about 2 hours into the day. My mother, who sews very well, as in appears store bought, not homemade, hand-made me a very nice skirt with jacket, but I doubt it'll fit me after the first month of interviews. I'm going to decide for sure if I need to purchase another one soon, but I'm not even sure where to buy a maternity suit. Motherhood maybe? I can also still fit in non-maternity clothing, but I think it makes me look rather chunky rather than pregnant.

http://erikamarieh.blogspot.com

Intern who interviewed while pregnant and blogged about her style. I think she wore a black blazer from Ann Taylor with black maternity dress pants.

http://erikamarieh.blogspot.com

Intern who interviewed while pregnant and blogged about her style. I think she wore a black blazer from Ann Taylor with black maternity dress pants.
I'm not sure if you're advocating this young woman's style but I would say it's rather… Unfortunate

.With the exception of one cute wrap dress, her clothing choices, bothcasual and "professional "are not particularly stylish or well coordinated. Given that shes shopping at J.Crew, Banana Republic, Loft and Ann Taylor it's not like she doesn't have money to do so.

enhanced-24561-1411729112-1.png
LOL... now see that bird looks better with his gray top and patterned yellow bottom then she does. I think he's got Moxie!

I bought a DKNY trim fit suit charcoal yesterday at lord & taylor. I thought it looked really good on me, and the tailor agreed it fit well and was appropriate for my needs. But I guess trying to stay on the conservative side, I was worried a bit if it was too tight? What is "too fit" for residency interviews? I thought it looked pretty good but it is pretty fit and I don't know if I'm violating some rule here lol. It kinda looked like this suit, but a little darker maybe and said "trim fit" (idk howthat differs from extra slim)
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dkny-suit-charcoal-solid-extra-slim-fit?ID=348538

I also found these shoes new for $125. I could get some AE park avenues for my budget, but honestly I feel these shoes in the eyes of an interviewer will look similar for a fraction of the cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murp...665&sr=8-1&keywords=johnson+and+murphy+melton

What do you think? I have that light blue BB shirt to go with it. I have some good ties, gonna look for a couple more. Comments?

I got some nice merlot/burgundy wingtips from allen edmonds for interview season

Love them, didn't want just plain shoes and I felt like these were a nice balance between conservative and fashionable

I got some nice merlot/burgundy wingtips from allen edmonds for interview season

Love them, didn't want just plain shoes and I felt like these were a nice balance between conservative and fashionable
Oh, that'st right you were the one in the Derm thread shoe shopping. I guess you ended up buying them. I don't think PDs look at intricacies of shoes, but I defer to the experts, WingedScapula and SouthernIM.

Oh, that'st right you were the one in the Derm thread shoe shopping. I guess you ended up buying them. I don't think PDs look at intricacies of shoes, but I defer to the experts, WingedScapula and SouthernIM.
Yep! I think WingedScapula is the one that recommended them if I recall correctly!

I'm pretty much set on them, need to find a new suit now.

Well very few would say/think, "oh those are nice AE cordovan wingtips" but they will notice the confidence @dermaway exudes and how polished and professional he looks which is worth its weight in gold.

I will defer to @southernIM in regards to "department store" suits that @dermaway is asking about but I've seen some nice Bar III at Macys as well as Lauren and Calvin Klein, and Nordstroms carries Hugo Boss, etc but their house brand suits are nice quality as well. J Crew's Ludlow has been mentioned a lot (but not really a "department store"). And of course the higher end department store you go, the more expensive (e.g., Barney's).

As long as they aren't the casual AE wingtips (they have some that are called like collegiate or something like that), they'll look good.

Are you speaking of these? I don't think that's what @dermaway purchased.

I've kind of given up on Macy's - pretty much everything they carry is specially made for them and is not the true designer label. I.e. they don't carry Polo Ralph Lauren...they carry Lauren by Ralph Lauren - a lower quality line made just for Macy's. Doesn't mean you can't get a reasonable suit there however. I just find it too hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. They do have lots and lots of sales.

True - you're right: many might not recognize that "Lauren" is not "Ralph Lauren", and "CK" is not "Calvin Klein" and that they are lower quality. However, for medical students who might not be able to find something higher end on sale, and is in a time crunch, they are decent enough quality and can look nice, so I wouldn't discount them.

Nordstroms has a number of good brands - but they only have sales rarely. I've never looked during their men's sale to see what kind of discounts they give on their suits.

Their "typical" discount would be 33%, although it can be more. If you have access to a Nordstrom Rack, I've seen 50-80% discounts on Vavartos and Armani (usually odd sizes or prints, but worth looking).

I don't have immediate access to more expensive stores like Barney's.

I'm sorry. :p (actually I just go in to look not to actually pay those ridiculous prices)

Attachments

• allenedmonds_shoes_university_chili_l.jpg
    allenedmonds_shoes_university_chili_l.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 96
Well very few would say/think, "oh those are nice AE cordovan wingtips" but they will notice the confidence @dermaway exudes and how polished and professional he looks which is worth its weight in gold.

I will defer to @southernIM in regards to "department store" suits that @dermaway is asking about but I've seen some nice Bar III at Macys as well as Lauren and Calvin Klein, and Nordstroms carries Hugo Boss, etc but their house brand suits are nice quality as well. J Crew's Ludlow has been mentioned a lot (but not really a "department store"). And of course the higher end department store you go, the more expensive (e.g., Barney's).
Would you mind commenting on my post at all? I'm kind of learning as I go here, just don't want to make a big **** up

I bought a DKNY trim fit suit charcoal yesterday at lord & taylor. I thought it looked really good on me, and the tailor agreed it fit well and was appropriate for my needs. But I guess trying to stay on the conservative side, I was worried a bit if it was too tight? What is "too fit" for residency interviews? I thought it looked pretty good but it is pretty fit and I don't know if I'm violating some rule here lol. It kinda looked like this suit, but a little darker maybe and said "trim fit" (idk howthat differs from extra slim)
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dkny-suit-charcoal-solid-extra-slim-fit?ID=348538

Trim or slim fit for residency interviews is fine. You are not violating any rules. I have more of a problem with guys wearing what looks like their dad's suits and they're extremely baggy.

What you don't want is:
- legs so tapered that they are "pegged"
- the "X" look where the waist is so tapered in that you resemble that letter
- I should not see your junk or any outlines of anatomy
- Thom Browne slim fits with your ankles exposed

The suit you linked is fine; of course, it all depends on how it looks on *you* and not the paid model.

I also found these shoes new for $125. I could get some AE park avenues for my budget, but honestly I feel these shoes in the eyes of an interviewer will look similar for a fraction of the cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Melton-Oxford-Black/dp/B000UUKCHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411751665&sr=8-1&keywords=johnson and murphy melton

Those are fine and will be conservative enough for interview or other occasions.

What do you think? I have that light blue BB shirt to go with it. I have some good ties, gonna look for a couple more. Comments?

Light blue looks nice with charcoal and you should be able to find a myriad of ties which will coordinate. Have a couple of shirts and ties in case you spill something during one interview and don't have time to have it cleaned before the next interview.

We should also talk about attire for the social event the night before the interview because there is a lot more variability at play here.

I'll let you guys start as I've got some things to do this morning.

Yes please! I have been wanting to know about that

That's a pretty good deal at 2/650.

But the difference in the way the OTR jacket drapes/sits from a suit supply jacket is pretty striking:

Abboud-vs-mens-wearhouse.jpg

After thinking about it I just ordered and got a Suitsupply Napoli Navy.

Mother of God. Much better fit off the rack. However, quality of materials were the same, if not slight edge to Abboud (however I know nothing about wool). Later this week I'll take it to a professional tailor and get it hemmed and possibly get an inch out of the chest. Although I don't know if its too tight or if this is how a proper suit fits.

Either way the MW suits were promptly returned.

We should also talk about attire for the social event the night before the interview because there is a lot more variability at play here.

I would love to know this. I get different answers from everyone about what to wear!

Even those would likely be fine. I was thinking of these ones with the contrasting colors and the super light brown sole. They are a bit more casual. I don't think that's what @dermaway was referring to either. But Allen Edmonds has like thirty different pairs of wingtips on their website...

allenedmonds_shoes_neumok_blue_l.jpg

The McAllister or the Jefferson is probably the only wingtip from AE someone should get to wear for an interview.

The Neumok (in your pic), the McTavish, and any of the silly hybrid creations should be avoided.

The University is kind of ugly because it's basically just taking a classic wingtip and then f*cking with the actual wingtip design.

I would love to know this. I get different answers from everyone about what to wear!

I generally went with a pair of chinos, a button-down shirt under a sweater, and one of my several pairs of brown shoes.

Sometimes other people were wearing jeans. Other times people were wearing sport jackets. I always felt like I fit in regardless.

FYI, in the world of male footwear, "cordovan" is usually reserved for describing shoes made out of shell cordovan (literally a horse's @ss), despite the word's use elsewhere to denote a color in the burgundy/merlot family.

I think it's kind of ugly too...but I think this is getting into truly the realm of the nitpick. I wouldn't even think twice if an applicant was wearing those. Still miles better than the average unfortunate shoe choice.

Agreed. Just me being nitpicky. Most people probably wouldn't even notice.

This is the dumbest thread ever!

With my 270/270, AOA, laundry list of publications, charm and good looks- I could show up in cargo shorts, a fresh pair of J's and a #23 Chicago Bulls jersey and land at my #1 spot

^(Sarcasm)

But anyway, my humble opinion is that it is dumb to go waste a bunch of money on a suit and shoes + accessories (did I really just say accessories?). Get a conservative suit that FITS you and your budget- and wear it proudly. Do you people really think that whether or not a jacket drapes perfectly over your torso is going to make a difference in your chances of being ranked by programs? Maybe I am naive, but I truly believe in medicine and surgery that fashion takes a backseat to work ethic, intelligence, compassion and interpersonal skills. Just my two cents

This is the dumbest thread ever!

With my 270/270, AOA, laundry list of publications, charm and good looks- I could show up in cargo shorts, a fresh pair of J's and a #23 Chicago Bulls jersey and land at my #1 spot

^(Sarcasm)

But anyway, my humble opinion is that it is dumb to go waste a bunch of money on a suit and shoes + accessories (did I really just say accessories?). Get a conservative suit that FITS you and your budget- and wear it proudly. Do you people really think that whether or not a jacket drapes perfectly over your torso is going to make a difference in your chances of being ranked by programs? Maybe I am naive, but I truly believe in medicine and surgery that fashion takes a backseat to work ethic, intelligence, compassion and interpersonal skills. Just my two cents

Please do not make me repeat myself for the hundredth time on this thread and the Pre-Allo interview attire thread.

Every couple pages, some doofus swoops in with a soliloquy about how dressing in a poorly fitting or otherwise ugly black suit with neon shirt won't get someone unranked. No one has ever argued that on any of these threads. And no one is advocating spending beyond one's means. Like you said, a well-fitting conservative suit is fine.

The purpose of this thread and others is for people who actually want to not only meet the bare minimum of dress requirements, but actually pick up a few pointers on how to dress well/correctly in the professional world.

If you want to look like a kid playing dress-up, that's fine. Don't pretend it somehow makes you more dedicated to the cause, though.

Reactions: 4 users
No I get it and think your advice is good- you obviously know what your talking about

I just think some people freak out about this too much, trying to reassure that it really isn't a huge deal

No I get it and think your advice is good- you obviously know what your talking about

I just think some people freak out about this too much, trying to reassure that it really isn't a huge deal

Agree that it's not a huge deal for most, but if you have the means to make some of the most basic changes, you probably should.

Then again, I didn't know any better and wore an ill-fitting black suit for med school interviews, and I got accepted into 7 or 8 different schools.

I wore a well-tailored navy suit to my residency interviews, and only matched at one program.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh and I wasnt referring to your posts specifically.
Agree that it's not a huge deal for most, but if you have the means to make some of the most basic changes, you probably should.

Then again, I didn't know any better and wore an ill-fitting black suit for med school interviews, and I got accepted into 7 or 8 different schools.

I wore a well-tailored navy suit to my residency interviews, and only matched at one program.

I lol'd

Yeah this one was tougher to figure out, there's a lot more variability. I usually did chinos, dress shirt, with a sweater during the cooler months, similar to GWDS. Just comes down to personal preference. Quite a few jeans with button-downs on the interview trail. I always err on the side of being slightly more formal rather than underdressed.

Not sure how much this varies with specialty. My home chair of surgery tried to convince our M4 class to wear ties to these dinners, but I think he's just extremely old-school.

FYI, in the world of male footwear, "cordovan" is usually reserved for describing shoes made out of shell cordovan (literally a horse's @ss), despite the word's use elsewhere to denote a color in the burgundy/merlot family.
and in the world of watches as well

For women in particular, I also think the store Theory (it's in some major cities) has a great line of conservative, but attractive professional clothing:.

I love Theory! It's simple, classic with good cutting. It tends to run one size smaller. It's quite expensive on a med student budget, but you can often find their items on sale on Nordstrom or Neiman. The men's suits are also very nice.

Even those would likely be fine. I was thinking of these ones with the contrasting colors and the super light brown sole. They are a bit more casual. I don't think that's what @dermaway was referring to either. But Allen Edmonds has like thirty different pairs of wingtips on their website...

allenedmonds_shoes_neumok_blue_l.jpg

One of my attendings wears these. Believe me, with the right suit, these look ****ing awesome. Dude is a freaking baller.

In surgery land, I'd say go business casual - slacks and a button down shirt. Plus minus a coat if it is cool out.

No one will ever think you're "overdressed" in that case.

There were a couple of programs where the night before event was with faculty and the PD/chair. In those cases I'd wear a tie.

The interview dinners that included faculty: dress slacks, dress shirt (I don't wear a tie unless I'm wearing a suit or sport coat or white coat).

The interview dinners with residents only: jeans.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHO IS SHOWING UP TO YOUR DINNER!