resignation/separation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

met19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I did a deferred residency in the civilian world. Now on active duty and am separating. I have done 4 years IRR during residency and 4 years of active time for a total of 8 years with a commission. I understand their is a difference in resignation from active duty versus resigning your commission.

My separation orders contain the following line: "by direction of the president, the secretary of the navy has accepted your resignation of your present commission in the US Naval service"

Does that mean I am done with my commission or is there still another form to fill out to finish it off? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could help. I had a year of IRR left and I'v made 3 phone calls the last 2 days trying to figure out how to resign come June 1.

For me, folks from PERS got in touch with me a while after my orders came, but like I said, I had a year of IRR left.

1-866-U-ASK-NPC is the number I've been calling, but they aren't very helpful so far.

the navy reminds me of godfather 3. michael corleone "i try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in...."

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my orders, and the language is much different from what you've described (I'm Army). However, I would imagine that if you were set up to get a reserve commission then there would be language describing your reassignment to the reserve component. Also, when you initiated the process, were you required to submit a resignation memorandum? And if so, what precisely did it say?

I just checked my orders, and the language is much different from what you've described (I'm Army). However, I would imagine that if you were set up to get a reserve commission then there would be language describing your reassignment to the reserve component. Also, when you initiated the process, were you required to submit a resignation memorandum? And if so, what precisely did it say?

the following verbage was used in the memo(and what I was instructed to write):
1) subject line: unqualified resignation request from active duty
2) #1: I hereby submit my resignation from active duty (ACDU) service in the U.S. navy
3) #3: Completion of minimum service requirement 30Jun2015
4) #6: Navy Reserve affiliation statement: I have fulfilled the 8 year MSO as prescribed by reference (a) and request resignation from ACDU and discharge from the Navy.

I have read some documents and navypers regulations and SecNavy instructions that with the following verbage: a release from active duty vs a resignation of commission. Since I read my letter like the later- I think I am done. But its really not my read that matters, but the Navy's.....

BTWcolbgwo2: I love you signature line from the Fat Man- its so true of the .mil

Last edited:
When you leave AD in the Navy, your appointment in the Reserves is a new appointment (complete with an oath of office). You won't end up still inside accidentally. Your letter should take care of it. PERS will do their funny math to make sure you don't have an IRR obligation (sounds like u shouldn't) and that's all there is to it. Congrats.

I wish I could help. I had a year of IRR left and I'v made 3 phone calls the last 2 days trying to figure out how to resign come June 1.

For me, folks from PERS got in touch with me a while after my orders came, but like I said, I had a year of IRR left.

1-866-U-ASK-NPC is the number I've been calling, but they aren't very helpful so far.
When I separated many moons ago while being on IRR, it was a matter of keeping in touch with IRR MILPERS section to let them know where you are living and once your obligation has completed the DD-214 will be mailed to you like clockwork.

thanks Gastrapathy

You're finished. They would have given you a reserve commission if you had any remaining obligation. I completed my active duty service in 2013 and am still on the IRR books for another 14 months.

You should be getting your honorable discharge in the mail. Congrats

Ex 61N