About the ads

  1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Retake MCAT or Apply Eary - D.O.

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by almo88, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. almo88

    almo88 double frick

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    416
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

    SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I took my MCAT on April 5th, I was scoring in the 26-28 range on the Kaplan and AAMC FL's, but I ended up with a 16! How is this possible? I ended up registering for the August 9th exam.

    In any case, I have a 16M and I want to apply for entrance in 2009. I am now enrolled in a class from TPR and I have no doubt I'll bring it up quite a bit. I currently have a BCPM GPA of 3.5, and an over-all of 3.72. I have shadowed and volunteered a lot and have a ton of research under my belt.

    Should I go ahead and apply now, and let the AAMC update my schools, or wait until September when I get my results from my MCAT? Also, I just finished my 2nd year at my University, but I'm already a senior, so I'm graduating in 3 years instead of 4.

    My top choice is OSU-COM (I'm an Okie myself), but I am also a fan of KCOM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU! :thumbup:
  2. WDeagle

    WDeagle

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    418
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I would go ahead and fill out aacomas and submit it without putting in any MCAT info (it that is possible). Once you get your second score back i would then send in both scores. This way you will already be verified when you get your 2nd MCAT score in. I recently read the KCOM may unofficially screen applicants at a 23-24. Honestly a 16 just doesnt look good, especially without good EC's. Make sure your making in the high twenties on you practice MCAT's before you take it. One thing you have is time since your graduating early. Take the time to make your ready for it and ace it.
  3. Tgi87

    Tgi87

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    Messages:
    74
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am in a very very similar situation than you. I don't feel so alone now! I'm also graduating in 3 years (just finished my 2nd year), have a science GPA of 3.93, and overall 3.86. I took my MCAT on May 10th and i was getting between 32 and 35 on the practices, but got a 20 on the real deal. I personally would prefer MD, but a DO does not sound bad at all either.I signed up to retake my MCAT on Aug 22, and now i don't know whether or not I should apply this year, if I do, should I go for only DO or both MD and DO, or if i should just wait until next year. But I am an international student, which make things a little harder for me. I really don't know what to do. ANyways...i know I didn;t help you that much, but at least you know you are not alone! ;) Let me know what you decide. PM me if you want!
  4. almo88

    almo88 double frick

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Messages:
    416
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks! It really helps to know I'm not alone!

    Anyone else got any ideas?
  5. DrMattOglesby

    DrMattOglesby Grand Master Moderator Emeritus

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    Messages:
    2,207
    Status:
    Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I know THx (MCAT scores testing history) will release all your scores to the AMCAS, but you just may have the option of releasing them to the AACOMAS.
    I would call instead of asking us. Or speak to an AMCAS/AACOMAS representative on the boards (i know there is one in the pre-osteo forum).
  6. noshie

    noshie Don't judge!

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1,489
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Status:
    Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    If you check the box that says that you will be retaking the MCAT and tell them when, then AACOMAS can go ahead and start on processing your application. And the schools are supposed to wait for the new MCAT score. I had a 16P the first time I took the MCAT, my bestfriends brother died and I was crying during the test... In retrospect probably shouldnt have even gone to take the test that day. Anyways, I went ahead and applied anyways even though I was retaking in August and I checked the box. I also called all of the schools and asked them not to reject me due to their MCAT cutoff grades until my new MCAT came in. Unfortunatly alot of them did drop me since my first MCAT was so low. But, even if I had waited until August to send out my application and my scores would have came in October (paper MCAT), I still think I would have been rejected from those schools due to the late scores coming in. So I dunno. But the ones that rejected me due to my first score did offer to relook at my application after my new MCAT score came in.

Share This Page


About the ads