Retake the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenchmedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently posted about my chances for DO school, sorry for the spam, I'm neurotic.

Here are my stats again, cgpa 3.24, sgpa 3.15, MCAT 30 (9v/10ps/11bs). I'm scheduled to retake the mcat august 9th. I've been scoring higher than 30 (around 32-33). Should I retake the MCAT or the risk not worth it? The only reason I want to retake the MCAT is to compensate for my below average GPA.

The schools I've sent applications to are the following:

CCOM
MSUCOM
PCOM
LECOM
New England COM
NYCOM

Also should I apply to more schools to be safe?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I do not think it is advisable to retake the MCAT with that score. It is not drastically different from what you were getting on your practice exams (For instance getting an 18 instead of a 28 average). Also your score is absolutely fantastic for DO. I keep seeing people looking for a 24-26 averages but you are well above those numbers with a 30. Hell you are about average for MD programs with that MCAT. You are in a very good place so do not retake.

Just go into those interviews strong and you should be fine! Also if you can try and get a DO LOR!

Good luck!!!!

Dude, do NOT retake the MCAT. You are wll above competitive on this area. The risks FAR outweight the benefits. If you bomb this thing for some reason then that 30 suddenly becomes a fluke in the eyes of ADCOMS! You are probably fine with the number of schools you have applied to but I would consider applying to a few of the newer DO schools as a "safety".

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Worthless waste of time to retake the MCAT for DO. If you're held back from an acceptance, it won't be because of 2 or 3 extra points on the MCAT. It will be for another reason, which is likely to be the GPA.

No need for a retake; you're fine, even for my school. Just broaden your list and you'll have plenty of interviews.

So I recently posted about my chances for DO school, sorry for the spam, I'm neurotic.

Here are my stats again, cgpa 3.24, sgpa 3.15, MCAT 30 (9v/10ps/11bs). I'm scheduled to retake the mcat august 9th. I've been scoring higher than 30 (around 32-33). Should I retake the MCAT or the risk not worth it? The only reason I want to retake the MCAT is to compensate for my below average GPA.

The schools I've sent applications to are the following:

CCOM
MSUCOM
PCOM
LECOM
New England COM
NYCOM

Also should I apply to more schools to be safe?

Thanks!