Retaking Dual-Credits for Medical School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyPanda

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could have some advice. I have been so frustrated by this dilemma!

I am going to be a university freshman this upcoming fall, but I got an Associates from my early college high school through a community college, so I am technically a sophomore. Nevertheless, I took BIO 1, BIO 2, and CHEM 1 which I understand are pre-requisites for medical school. My academic and medical advisor recommended me to NOT retake these classes and simply continue to upper-division courses. I am REALLY hesitant! I do not feel that I remember the material from the courses and I had a hard time with my chemistry professor understanding his teaching style. I expressed these worries to my advisors, but they were really adamant that I should not retake them. As the fall semester is near, I have to make a decision whether I will want to retake those classes and would LOVE to hear some advice, please. I am really lost. As a "sophomore" I am not sure if this will affect me if I do retake them. I am also really curious if I should retake them since they are the foundation for the MCAT and the material must be important!!! I have also heard some things about how medical schools do not like community college courses. ANY advice or comments about my issue would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you for all the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

What did you make in those courses when you took them? I would strongly advise AGAINST retaking any course you have made an A in NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON.

I say this because there is no upside for you and a big potential downside if you retake these courses. If you for any reason score lower the second time around, there will be raised eyebrows and you will lose the good position you had put yourself in initially.

If your only concern is familiarity with the material for further courses and the MCAT, then you’re going down the wrong path here. There are literally hundreds of places (Free online material, prep books, etc.) you can review all of the material for these courses without potentially sabotaging your application, and with regard to the MCAT specifically, I know of several people who prepared for the MCAT several years after taking these classes, and were able to get 520+. The classes serve to familiarize you with the material. Everyone does MCAT specific prep with MCAT specific resources. That is what ends up being important for the MCAT. It’s not the priority or the job of the professor or your college course to prepare you for the MCAT. That is something you will do on your own, and is largely unrelated to your school.

Reactions: 2 users
It would help if you let Us know what grades you received but even so, it is never a good idea to retake a class you don’t have to retake. If you ever apply to Med school both sets of grades will be counted in your GPAs. You will be expected to get As and it proves nothing to ADCOMS. @IJustWannaBeADoctorMayne is right. There are easier ways to review the basic science classes instead of retaking. In this case your advisors are right. Register for more advanced classes.

Reactions: 2 users