Retaking the GRE...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maddiegirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how many people took GRE more than once and if you saw any significant improvement in your scores. If you saw improvement what did you do differently between tests?

I just took it last Friday and did well on the verbal but scored lower than I wanted/needed on quantitative. Roughly 10 points below the average scores of admitted students at my target school.

I'm not the best test taker, never have been. So I'm trying to decide if I should buckle down and spend a month studying for Q section and retake, or just move on to another part of my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I retook exactly a month after I first tested and improved slightly. I didn't study AT ALL in the month in between. I think was less nervous and used to the testing center....but also prolly just luck on the questions. I would not suggest following my path however.

I took the Kaplan course and I would not have been able to take the GRE without it. I have a hard time motivating myself to study without a class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

If the rest of your application is strong then I personally wouldn't retake it. If the rest of your application is average or weaker, and/or if the schools you're applying to weight the GRE really heavily, then I might consider it. If you've still got pre-reqs to do and don't know what your grades will be like, maybe sit on your GRE mark for now and reassess later

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the GRE a few times and was able to raise my quant score by several points by just taking practice exams and reading a few GRE books. I also used Magoosh to do practice problems/watch explanation videos.

The Q section is a fairly hefty 25 points. I know of three people that scored in the 140s (148, and two 144s), but they also had cumulative and science GPAs of 3.6 or greater. So, if you're close to those numbers, then you may be okay to not take it again. If you're not confident about your GPAs, LORs, experiences, etc., then I would try and take it at least once more. It's a lot easier to do the second time, IMO, because you know the routine.

I had kind of an opposite experience. I had signed up for two test days in case I bombed the first one. I studied all summer using three different books. The first test was average (im a lousy standardized test taker too) but since I had already paid for the second time, I went and took it anyways. My quant score went up slightly but my verbal dropped by 100 pts which was deemed a negative enough trend for me to not get an interview invite from one school. So keep in mind that depending on how you do, it can go either way.

I will admit though that the drop was more due to issues on my end. I didn't study for the second time and managed my time poorly during the test and didnt finish either section. I was also taking 21 credits that semester and dealing with depression, so i was dealing with a lot and just didnt handle the situation well.

I took the GRE a few times and was able to raise my quant score by several points by just taking practice exams and reading a few GRE books. I also used Magoosh to do practice problems/watch explanation videos.

The Q section is a fairly hefty 25 points. I know of three people that scored in the 140s (148, and two 144s), but they also had cumulative and science GPAs of 3.6 or greater. So, if you're close to those numbers, then you may be okay to not take it again. If you're not confident about your GPAs, LORs, experiences, etc., then I would try and take it at least once more. It's a lot easier to do the second time, IMO, because you know the routine.

I have another test scheduled Aug. 1 so I will most likely practice with Magoosh, bone up on some of the trig and geometry I am rusty on and try again.

My overall GPA is a solid 3.6 and my science GPA is a 3.5. My last 45 is right at 3.0 because I transferred and had a rough start. I have well over 1500 hours of animal experience and over close to 2000 hours of veterinary experience. Mostly small animal but some large animal.

My LORS are coming from 1) my vet that I known before I started working towards vet school. He has encouraged me along the way. 2) the vet I currently work with that went to bat for me to get a promotion at work and 3) another vet I work for that quit her job at NASA to follow her dream of becoming a vet.

My gut tells me to let it ride, but the perfectionist in me tells me I can do better. So I'll try to do better and go from there. Hopefully, I was just tired from the 5 hour stint in the ER the night before my exam. :)

I had kind of an opposite experience. I had signed up for two test days in case I bombed the first one. I studied all summer using three different books. The first test was average (im a lousy standardized test taker too) but since I had already paid for the second time, I went and took it anyways. My quant score went up slightly but my verbal dropped by 100 pts which was deemed a negative enough trend for me to not get an interview invite from one school. So keep in mind that depending on how you do, it can go either way.

I will admit though that the drop was more due to issues on my end. I didn't study for the second time and managed my time poorly during the test and didnt finish either section. I was also taking 21 credits that semester and dealing with depression, so i was dealing with a lot and just didnt handle the situation well.
Well that makes me kind of not want to retake it. I retook the SATs in high school and my score went down, only 20 points, but with my luck I do something stupid like completely bomb both sections and not get interviewed by schools. EEEK!

If you don't have an anxiety disorder before you start this process then you will probably have one by the end of it... :)

I'm curious how many people took GRE more than once and if you saw any significant improvement in your scores. If you saw improvement what did you do differently between tests?

I just took it last Friday and did well on the verbal but scored lower than I wanted/needed on quantitative. Roughly 10 points below the average scores of admitted students at my target school.

I'm not the best test taker, never have been. So I'm trying to decide if I should buckle down and spend a month studying for Q section and retake, or just move on to another part of my application.

How big is 10 points with the new GRE scoring system... sorry, I am just not as familiar with it. Is that equal to 40 or 50 points in the old system? Or 30? Or 100? If it is only equal to a 20-40 point drop in the old system I don't think it is a big enough difference to worry, in my opinion. If it is 50 points or more, then it may or may not matter depending upon which schools you are applying to.

I retook the GRE 3 times because my verbal score was horrendous. It went up 70 points from the first to the second test and up another 70 points from the second to the third test. In the meantime, my quant score went up from the first test to the second test and then down just a bit from the second test to the third test (but was still higher than the first test). I am not sure if that helped my application at all or not.

How big is 10 points with the new GRE scoring system... sorry, I am just not as familiar with it. Is that equal to 40 or 50 points in the old system? Or 30? Or 100? If it is only equal to a 20-40 point drop in the old system I don't think it is a big enough difference to worry, in my opinion. If it is 50 points or more, then it may or may not matter depending upon which schools you are applying to.

A 145Q is equivalent to a 530/540 on the old scoring system (22%). At a 155Q, it's equivalent to a 700/710 (61%). A pretty big jump.

A 145Q is equivalent to a 530/540 on the old scoring system (22%). At a 155Q, it's equivalent to a 700/710 (61%). A pretty big jump.

Wow. Thats crazy.

And my previous post was for the old test, btw. And the point of my story, was basically that if you're going to retake the test, make sure you prepare for it so that you don't have a major drop like I did.

:eek:

That is insane.

And I agree with @orca2011, be aware that if you do retake it, that you can't just forget about the other section or become lax on studying for it. You need to be sure that you aren't going to be dropping your score elsewhere.

I think it bears repeating that the quantitative section looks not only at your ability to do math, but also at your ability to recognize when NOT to do math. That's why I liked Magoosh's tutorials. They taught me to recognize questions that only needed enough time to read the question in order to be solved. I know I struggled with this concept the first time I tested and I received really poor Q scores.

I think it bears repeating that the quantitative section looks not only at your ability to do math, but also at your ability to recognize when NOT to do math. That's why I liked Magoosh's tutorials. They taught me to recognize questions that only needed enough time to read the question in order to be solved. I know I struggled with this concept the first time I tested and I received really poor Q scores.

That was my main issue with that section . And I get bored in the middle of the test. I do great on the written part but no one really cares about that. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my problem is I get stuck on some of the tricky problems, panic and then freeze. I just need to practice a lot of GRE math problems. They aren't really hard just tricky, and when you're already under the pressure of the clock it amplifies any weakness present. I wish there was a more relevant entrance exam.

I took the GRE twice and I'm really glad I did. The first time was right after I realized that I wouldn't get my pre-reqs done in time to apply that cycle so I just showed up and took the test with no prep. My score was (I think) 573 quant and 697 verbal - equivalent of 147 quant and 166 verbal on the new test.

A few months later I retook it and improved my scores. The second time I studied using some practice tests online. Basically, I think it's worth it for most people because you know what the test is like the second time, it's less stressful, and you can prepare a lot better. My scores ended up being 163 (93%) verbal and 157 (71%) quant.

It might sound silly but my biggest bit of advice for the GRE is get a full night sleep before and eat a hearty breakfast before the test! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello my PT people! I just took the GRE for the first time and got a score of 142 Verbal/143 Quantitative. The schools I want to apply require a combination score of 300. Does anyone have any tips or advice on improving the score? Thanks in advance.
This is the pre-vet forum not the PT forum

Hello my PT people! I just took the GRE for the first time and got a score of 142 Verbal/143 Quantitative. The schools I want to apply require a combination score of 300. Does anyone have any tips or advice on improving the score? Thanks in advance.
Despite being the pre-vet forum instead of the PT, I'd still suggest getting a GRE prep study book (I don't think the brand matters but go with a good one, I got one from a used bookstore and it was great). Work through the problems, do the practice tests, learn how to give them what they're looking for. I'm convinced I would have done terribly without doing the prep book, I think it just gives you a leg up in learning how to think about the questions during the test. That being said, if you already did that the first time then there are prep classes you can take, or even trying a different book.

Despite being the pre-vet forum instead of the PT, I'd still suggest getting a GRE prep study book (I don't think the brand matters but go with a good one, I got one from a used bookstore and it was great). Work through the problems, do the practice tests, learn how to give them what they're looking for. I'm convinced I would have done terribly without doing the prep book, I think it just gives you a leg up in learning how to think about the questions during the test. That being said, if you already did that the first time then there are prep classes you can take, or even trying a different book.

Thank you! I appreciate the help. I didn't realize I was on the pre-vet forum lol

Last edited:
That was my main issue with that section . And I get bored in the middle of the test. I do great on the written part but no one really cares about that. :(

Right? I bossed that analytical, 93%. But not many schools really care about it. Since my number one school doesn't care about it, I'm retaking the GRE cause my quantitative was 33%. I have it at 12:30 on Saturday.

Sooo, studied using Magoosh. Practiced math problems galore. Took the GRE again... Literally got the exact same score... So disappointed. At least I suck consistently... +pity+

Sooo, studied using Magoosh. Practiced math problems galore. Took the GRE again... Literally got the exact same score... So disappointed. At least I suck consistently... +pity+

So with all due respect, I think you should give up the vet med profession because you cannot calculate Jim's current age if hes x-7 years old, Pete is 4 times his age 4 years ago, and Sam is 2x+14 years old 7x years from now. Also, that word from the 16th century that you've never used, it's a secret word that puts animals to sleep, sans sedative. Very important.

All joking aside, I guess the statistics show that the GRE is a good indicator of success, although I think otherwise. I'm definitely dreading my test on the 20th. I've been Magooshing it pretty much all summer, not as hardcore as I could be though. My projected scores are 152-157 M and 155-160 V.

Ehh, guess I'm not good at this stuff.

Also, that word from the 16th century that you've never used, it's a secret word that puts animals to sleep, sans sedative. Very important..

Don't forget the word from the 17th century that sounds similar to that word but is actually opposite in meaning, depending on the context. When whispered in an animal's left ear four times, it immediately reverses all anesthetic agents circulating in that animal.

:D

I'm retaking on the 20th. I was happy with my verbal and analytical scores from the first go-round, but apparently needed to polish my quantitative skills a bit more... :grumpy: Ah well. Next time will be different, GRE! *flexes muscles*

Don't forget the word from the 17th century that sounds similar to that word but is actually opposite in meaning, depending on the context. When whispered in an animal's left ear four times, it immediately reverses all anesthetic agents circulating in that animal.

:D

I'm retaking on the 20th. I was happy with my verbal and analytical scores from the first go-round, but apparently needed to polish my quantitative skills a bit more... :grumpy: Ah well. Next time will be different, GRE! *flexes muscles*

Yes, THAT word. What'd you get the first time?

I'm cutting it close, basically pushed my GRE back as far as possible. Taking it on the 20th and then starting the semester on the 24th. I pretty much have one shot to do good.

Sorry to hear your score didn't improve, @Maddiegirl

Sorry to hear your score didn't improve, @Maddiegirl

Wow, @Maddiegirl, I just went back and re-read my post and realized I made a joke, talked about my test, but never actually showed any empathy. I apologize if that came across rude at all, that wasn't my intentions! Was trying to make light of that stupid test :asshat:

Retook it last Saturday and improved by 5 points overall. Hopefully that will help.

Sorry you didn't get the score you wanted :/ Statistically most people don't improve when they retake, unless there was something seriously wrong the first time they took it (didn't study at all, ran out of time, test anxiety, stuff like that).

Wow, @Maddiegirl, I just went back and re-read my post and realized I made a joke, talked about my test, but never actually showed any empathy. I apologize if that came across rude at all, that wasn't my intentions! Was trying to make light of that stupid test :asshat:
No worries. I've been away doing some soul searching. I thought your post was hysterical. If the test were all about drug calculations, fluid rates and things generally important in vet med, I would ace it. I actually half-assed the verbal section and my score improved; diligently worked on the quantitative section and the score was the same. Meh. Oh well.

You'd think with the 300K+ student loans many of us are looking at coupled with the mediocre starting salaries we can expect that vet schools would actually be more interested in those of us with poor math skills!

I'm almost finished with my apps, and I'm having serious second thoughts about even applying. The amount of debt is scaring the crap out of me. Is anyone else worried about it?

Is anyone else worried about it?
The only ones who aren't are either really lucky or in denial ;) each of us has to figure out to the best of our abilities if its worth it. And have some sort of a plan for how to minimize your loans (go IS if you can, limit unnecessary spending, even keep your necessary spending as low as possible, etc).

I think its important to also note if the school you're applying to will look at an average of the scores or will take your BEST score on each section. I know UGA (my IS) takes the highest score, so there's no harm in taking it multiple times. But if yours doesn't, you may want to factor that into your decision.

I also used a Kaplan book and studied for about a month before taking it. Just reviewing the basic quant math that you haven't used since early high school was super helpful in getting a good score. And, as others have said, it does help you with techniques for answering questions/trying to solve things that you waste time on, and just test taking strategies for this test in particular (like really trying hard and doing well on those first few questions since it will direct your next question based on if you got the previous one correct and you can increase your score).

When I retook it, I got slightly higher on the overall score; higher in the verbal section and a few points lower on the quant section.

Good luck!

The only ones who aren't are either really lucky or in denial ;) each of us has to figure out to the best of our abilities if its worth it. And have some sort of a plan for how to minimize your loans (go IS if you can, limit unnecessary spending, even keep your necessary spending as low as possible, etc).
Yea, I've been thinking about all that stuff. My IS is Texas A&M. I feel like I have a snowball's chance in hell at getting in there with my less than perfect GPA and GRE. I'm applying anyway. If it's meant to be it'll work out. If not, then at least I won't have 300K+ in debt hanging over my head.

I think its important to also note if the school you're applying to will look at an average of the scores or will take your BEST score on each section. I know UGA (my IS) takes the highest score, so there's no harm in taking it multiple times. But if yours doesn't, you may want to factor that into your decision.

I also used a Kaplan book and studied for about a month before taking it. Just reviewing the basic quant math that you haven't used since early high school was super helpful in getting a good score. And, as others have said, it does help you with techniques for answering questions/trying to solve things that you waste time on, and just test taking strategies for this test in particular (like really trying hard and doing well on those first few questions since it will direct your next question based on if you got the previous one correct and you can increase your score).

When I retook it, I got slightly higher on the overall score; higher in the verbal section and a few points lower on the quant section.

Good luck!
Yes, I worked on all the quantitative stuff for over a month. Practicing stuff I hadn't used in years. Hardly any of that old stuff showed up. Most of questions were quantitative comparison using abstract concepts. I got the exact same Q score both times I took it, so it doesn't matter if the school I'm looking at will take best score or not. I figure that it is what it is. I tried to do better and I wasn't able to improve. The first time I didn't study at all and the second time I was prepared. I tend to struggle with test anxiety, so I believe that is my problem and not my quantitative skills. I'm done beating myself up over it. Honestly, I don't believe my ability to be a good vet is determined by a single standardized exam. Schools can either deal with my scores or not. If they feel I'm not good enough based on an arbitrary test then I'll just find a different career and save myself from a massive debt load.

I want to be a vet, but at the same time I want to own a home, have a car, be able to pay bills and eat. I'm a little bit disgusted at how the cost of tuition has increased so far beyond the earning potential of new graduates.

I'm taking the GRE on Wednesday and was wondering if it would be a good or bad thing to study or do practice problems the day before the exam. Any input? o_O

I'm taking the GRE on Wednesday and was wondering if it would be a good or bad thing to study or do practice problems the day before the exam. Any input? o_O

Most of what I've found says this is a bad thing to do and I'm guessing for many people this will hold true.

That being said, I took a full length practice test the day before the exam and reviewed a bit of vocabulary in the car on the way to test center (I wasn't driving of course). My scores were pretty good and actually much better than any practice exam I had taken leading up to the exam. So I don't think the last minute studying hurt me and I think it probably helped me some.

Different things work for different people. If you think it will help you or at least not hurt you then I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of studying the day before the exam. If you think it might hurt you then don't study the day before. That's my two cents.

Most of what I've found says this is a bad thing to do and I'm guessing for many people this will hold true.

That being said, I took a full length practice test the day before the exam and reviewed a bit of vocabulary in the car on the way to test center (I wasn't driving of course). My scores were pretty good and actually much better than any practice exam I had taken leading up to the exam. So I don't think the last minute studying hurt me and I think it probably helped me some.

Different things work for different people. If you think it will help you or at least not hurt you then I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of studying the day before the exam. If you think it might hurt you then don't study the day before. That's my two cents.

tl;dr - Maybe you should study the day before. Maybe you shouldn't. :p

I went ahead and went with Magoosh's recommendation not to study the day before. If it's a little bit of vocab review, no biggy I would think. But to start learning new methods of tackling problems the day before the GRE, probably not going to retain that and may stress you out.

I studied in the sense that I practiced problems the day before the exam. Didn't really try to learn new techniques. I looked over a few things and did a couple of problems the day of the exam to get my brain in gear.

You'd think with the 300K+ student loans many of us are looking at coupled with the mediocre starting salaries we can expect that vet schools would actually be more interested in those of us with poor math skills!
Our of curiosity, where are you getting this 300k+ number? It's my impression that the average is around $150k.

Took the GRE again today and scored the same as last time +pissed+
I'm not sure if I should retake it again since I have taken so many times in the past and increased gradually, but have plateaued at the same scores as last time. My top scores stand at 152 V and 154 Q. My stats are a bit below average undergrad grade wise and I have a mediocre GRE scores. For those whom have improved their GRE scores substantially, what did you do? I don't want to give up trying to get into vet school, but I feel this stupid test is holding me back once again.

Currently I'm using ETS GRE practice books and magoosh vocab app. I took a class last year with Manhattan prep and brought up my quant 8 points, but my scores are still not competitive enough.

Currently I'm using ETS GRE practice books and magoosh vocab app. I took a class last year with Manhattan prep and brought up my quant 8 points, but my scores are still not competitive enough.

Try Magoosh. I took a class during summer '14 through my university and thought it was crap. I kept procrastinating and finally purchased the 6 month Magoosh license ($99 and cheapest one they have) in May of this year. Worth every penny, and a fraction of the cost of the university class. I didn't use any of the official books and only used the PowerPrep software to take 2 practice tests. Magoosh really does make the studying easy and provides text/video explanations for every single question. Follow one of their ready-made study plans and you don't need to think about planning your study sessions.

I think it's worth it.

Hello,

I'll retake the GRE next week! I'm curious to know if is the real GRE test harder than or as same as the practice tests from the PowerPrep 2?

I didn't use the PowerPrep before I took the GRE last time.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'll retake the GRE next week! I'm curious to know if is the real GRE test harder than or as same as the practice tests from the PowerPrep 2?

I didn't use the PowerPrep before I took the GRE last time.

I scored worse on the PowerPreps than I did on the actual test but I don't know if that's because I just didn't take my practice as seriously and therefore made some bumbling errors that I didn't repeat on the test. Overall I would say the difficulty level was roughly the same.

I think it's been mentioned on the forum before but there's a Groupon for the Bench Prep course for $19. I'm doing it currently and it's neat. The first thing you do is put in a test date and it formulates your plan. There are lessons on strategy, refreshers on the math portion, TONS of practice problems, and verbal games to list a few. It also tells you what percentile you are relative to others on the site and shows you where your weak and strong spots are. I believe there are 2 simulated exams at the end (I haven't gotten that far yet).

https://www.groupon.com/deals/benchprep-72-san-jose