Rethinking Pharmacy.. is it truly the right choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudentDoctor

Mind Grenade
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After talking to a few pharmacists, reading some online blogs, and just general discussion amongst others I keep getting the nagging feeling that Pharmacists generally dislike their job.

I ask because I am really considering not trying for Pharmacy school anymore. All the reasons I thought Pharmacy was tops have turned out (seemingly) to be false. Apparently it's not low stress, the hours aren't as flexible as I thought, and Pharmacists get no respect.

Sigh,

How much truth is it that most Pharmacists wish they had chosen another career?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After talking to a few pharmacists, reading some online blogs, and just general discussion amongst others I keep getting the nagging feeling that Pharmacists generally dislike their job.

I ask because I am really considering not trying for Pharmacy school anymore. All the reasons I thought Pharmacy was tops have turned out (seemingly) to be false. Apparently it's not low stress, the hours aren't as flexible as I thought, and Pharmacists get no respect.

Sigh,

this-thread-rocks.jpg

Apparently it's not low stress, the hours aren't as flexible as I thought, and Pharmacists get no respect.

Depending on where you work, some settings, PharmD, at least, gets a little more respect than midlevel (NPs, PAs), from what I experienced. Congrats on finding it out. I suggest finding a career counselor. That might be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is spot on. Pharmacy sucks, get out if you can.

Sigh,

If this is your assessment of the profession, don't go into it.

There are a lot of pharmacists who have low stress, flexible, and enjoyable jobs where they get respect. I would even say "cush" jobs. At least, this is my assessment based on the sum of my experiences in pharmacies. I believe pharmacy is one of the best healthcare professions to go into, and you'll probably find a lot of pharmacy students and at least some pharmacists (the ones I know) who agree with me.

You'll tend to find more complainers on here than not, though. The happy pharmacists i know dont spend time on sdn talking about how great their jobs are. You'll find a few of those here though. I suggest talking to them for a more balanced picture.

Last edited:
Depending on where you work, some settings, PharmD, at least, gets a little more respect than midlevel (NPs, PAs), from what I experienced. Congrats on finding it out. I suggest finding a career counselor. That might be helpful.

wrong...NP and PA are treated way nicer than Pharm.D . Heck, several times i make rounds and notice that RN/LVN call NP and PA "Here's the chart, doctor"...and they don't even correct that....i was like , "WTF? hello? I have a doctorate degree here...not them!"

If this is your assessment of the profession, don't go into it.

There are a lot of people who have low stress, flexible, and enjoyable jobs where they get respect. At least, this is my assessment based on the sum of my experiences in pharmacies.

Wondered where you worked where it is all rose petals and lollipops. How many hours you worked there in your life and how many other pharmacists were there with you. In retail you may get respect from SOME of the customers. Flexible and low stress- would really like to know where that job is. Maybe if you were the extra person and were given some assignments to do etc and not where everything going on was your responsibility. Not to be disrespectful but as a student with virtually little time on the bench or in a hospital setting you really have no idea. I would like to have you repost your opinion after 10, 20 and 30 years of practicing and working alone. I bet it will be alot different.

As far as staying in the profession- If you like pharmacy as far as what you are learning and feeling like you are helping someone stay in it. If you are going for the money and think when you get our of school you will be instantly respected and can walk on water( I have seen many new grads that thought that and watched them sink within a year)- do something else.:):)

Wondered where you worked where it is all rose petals and lollipops. How many hours you worked there in your life and how many other pharmacists were there with you. In retail you may get respect from SOME of the customers. Flexible and low stress- would really like to know where that job is. Maybe if you were the extra person and were given some assignments to do etc and not where everything going on was your responsibility. Not to be disrespectful but as a student with virtually little time on the bench or in a hospital setting you really have no idea. I would like to have you repost your opinion after 10, 20 and 30 years of practicing and working alone. I bet it will be alot different.

As far as staying in the profession- If you like pharmacy as far as what you are learning and feeling like you are helping someone stay in it. If you are going for the money and think when you get our of school you will be instantly respected and can walk on water( I have seen many new grads that thought that and watched them sink within a year)- do something else.:):)

I've worked with about 10 pharmacists.. probably have about 1500 hours of hospital experience, nuclear experience accumulating, and a handful of retail hours. All the pharmacists i've worked with have gotten to take as long of a lunch break as they want (usually around an hour, sometimes including going out to a restaurant), two (hospital) were more or less able to set their own hours each day as long as the work got done, in retail (independent), the pharmacists i worked with knew a large percentage of their patients by name and had time to have relatively lengthy conversations about health status and family life with all of the patients they knew. In my hospital job, pharmacists i worked with spent at least some of their time during the day surfing the net doing personal things, went to a lot of meetings, were called by docs for recommendations frequently. In nuke, my pharmacists know all the customers' names and their families and have time to spend catching up on the phone with them, take multiple breaks per day, and still have a decent amount of time to teach. Did i mention the pharmacists at the independent and in nuclear also have the ability to have flexible hours ? Their hours are whatever they want to work out with their partners.

I am so happy to say ive never met a pharmacist as bitter as some of the people on here. Of course, working in settings where everyone gets downtime, has time for positive social interactions with coworkers, patients, students, and doctors, and is not overworked, probably has gone a long way toward my positive viewpoint.

If i had worked only in a retail chain, i would not have attended pharmacy school if they had paid for it.

Ah, i forgot to add in, bringing your ipod to work was pretty much a job requirement at the hospital, optional at my current job.

With this type of experience, you can see why I am excited about pharmacy as a career.

I suppose I should mention, the pharmacists at my current company (hopefully where i work until i retire) as well as all the pharmacists i have met in real life, have been very supportive and encouraging of my choice to pursue pharmacy -- they are for the most part happy and excited! Why? I'd like to think most people wouldnt be happy to send someone to their professional "doom", so Id have to say it's probably because they liked and enjoyed their own jobs.

Last edited:
nice!! I love these gifs!!

I know you probably are looking for one of those jobs where you can bring your ipod. Get out of retail after graduation sparda!

Well, with the amount of student loan debt I have, the plan is to start full time as a staff pharmacist at a hospital, while at the same time working part-time nights at CVS. Once loans are paid off, possibly go back for a residency in ID (my favorite subject, the one part of Therapeutics that I aced) and then move into clinical pharmacy.

Well, with the amount of student loan debt I have, the plan is to start full time as a staff pharmacist at a hospital, while at the same time working part-time nights at CVS. Once loans are paid off, possibly go back for a residency in ID (my favorite subject, the one part of Therapeutics that I aced) and then move into clinical pharmacy.

Good call! I was gonna do the same thing (except maybe not ID specifically), until nuclear snatched me up. Now I cant see myself working anywhere else.

I agree with your retail assessment but in the hospital/amb care institution I work in it is completely different. The pharmacists all seem to love what they do and are vocal about enjoying their jobs. From inpatient, outpatient, amb care, and specialty they all seem to be happy. Vacation time is good, benefits are good, pharmacy is on the floors and well respected. Amb care and outpatient have great 8am-6pm hour timeframe shifts and have 1 hour lunches. Great commorodary amongst the pharmacists, they have an online forum where they all interact, ask questions, and post interesting patient cases. You work hard but are well supported! It is not all fairy tales but overall a great place to work!

I really hope to work for this hospital system in the future.:D

I hope I am happier than you are when I have worked 10, 20, 30 years, and I really think I will be!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with your retail assessment but in the hospital/amb care institution I work in it is completely different. The pharmacists all seem to love what they do and are vocal about enjoying their jobs. From inpatient, outpatient, amb care, and specialty they all seem to be happy. Vacation time is good, benefits are good, pharmacy is on the floors and well respected. Amb care and outpatient have great 8am-6pm hour timeframe shifts and have 1 hour lunches. Great commorodary amongst the pharmacists, they have an online forum where they all interact, ask questions, and post interesting patient cases. You work hard but are well supported! It is not all fairy tales but overall a great place to work!

I really hope to work for this hospital system in the future.:D

Awesome! This is similar to how my hospital experience felt. It's so encouraging to hear from other people with positive viewpoints once in a while. Glad to hear you're as excited about pharmacy as i am !!

I think everyone goes through this phase when they're deciding on what they're doing for the rest of their life. The truth is, I really like Pharmacy, but I was just looking at all the negatives and had a bad run of Pharmacy "talks." Obviously not every job is roses, but I know I want to be a Pharmacist. Maybe not retail-- but I'll have time to figure all that out.

Sorry for the post; guess I just had a case of the "college jitters." I doubt anyone knows what they're "meant" to do, my brothers told me they felt like this everyday when pursuing their careers. I guess it's normal to have doubts sometimes.

I think everyone goes through this phase when they're deciding on what they're doing for the rest of their life. The truth is, I really like Pharmacy, but I was just looking at all the negatives and had a bad run of Pharmacy "talks." Obviously not every job is roses, but I know I want to be a Pharmacist. Maybe not retail-- but I'll have time to figure all that out.

Sorry for the post; guess I just had a case of the "college jitters." I doubt anyone knows what they're "meant" to do, my brothers told me they felt like this everyday when pursuing their careers. Everyone is worried about making a mistake.

yeah. exactly. don't listen to others. you have to make your own opinion. Retail can be bad but it isn't always horrible....it has its ups and downs like every side of pharmacy does. Anyways I have to say that just because some people like their jobs, most people don't (but this is true for all career paths)....honestly even if I hated pharmacy and i was still in school, I would stay in. There aren't a lot of jobs where you can have so many choices and plus after your job is done, you go home. You aren't married to your job. Of course I couldn't stand the thought of working somewhere I totally and utterly detested.

I've worked with about 10 pharmacists.. probably have about 1500 hours of hospital experience, nuclear experience accumulating, and a handful of retail hours.

Now it all makes sense!!! You know everything there is to know about life as a pharmacist because of the massive amount of experience you have working in the field. Wow!!! All as a pharmacy student as well. Amazing how you can be an expert on retail pharmacy with your "handful" of retail hours. And lets not forget your 1500 hours of hospital experience. Whoa now compare this to your handful of retail hours and this makes you a certified hospital pharmacist genius.

To the op. This is your question:

Another fine instance of how worthless SDN is becoming. The question is for a Pharmacist and 6 students mindlessly spout off. If fact a pharmacist answers the question and a ******* student has the audacity to challenge the answer based on an extremely limited amount of experience as a student...WTF?!?!?

Sorry...I do not know why I bother anymore....I am going to go back to doing what my avatar is doing......

I would say 50% of the pharmacists hate their job; 30% are indifferent and 20% like their job. I am between indifferent and like but then again, I am still relatively new and I dont work in retails. I have already put plan b in motion, just in case.

Sigh,

I will now try to be helpfull.

The answer to your question is this....there is no one answer. I am sure every single working person over the course of thier career has wished they had choosen something different. Pharmacy is no different.

If your only reasons to try for pharmacy were for low stress, flexible hours and respect you haven't done much research have you? Healthcare in general is not going to meet your needs if those are your requirements. Do some more reserach and talk to more Pharmacists as well as other healthcare providers.

I will now try to be helpfull.

The answer to your question is this....there is no one answer. I am sure every single working person over the course of thier career has wished they had choosen something different. Pharmacy is no different.

If your only reasons to try for pharmacy were for low stress, flexible hours and respect you haven't done much research have you? Healthcare in general is not going to meet your needs if those are your requirements. Do some more reserach and talk to more Pharmacists as well as other healthcare providers.

I would say 50% of the pharmacists hate their job; 30% are indifferent and 20% like their job. I am between indifferent and like but then again, I am still relatively new and I dont work in retails. I have already put plan b in motion, just in case.

Now it all makes sense!!! You know everything there is to know about life as a pharmacist because of the massive amount of experience you have working in the field. Wow!!! All as a pharmacy student as well. Amazing how you can be an expert on retail pharmacy with your "handful" of retail hours. And lets not forget your 1500 hours of hospital experience. Whoa now compare this to your handful of retail hours and this makes you a certified hospital pharmacist genius.

To the op. This is your question:

Another fine instance of how worthless SDN is becoming. The question is for a Pharmacist and 6 students mindlessly spout off. If fact a pharmacist answers the question and a ******* student has the audacity to challenge the answer based on an extremely limited amount of experience as a student...WTF?!?!?

Sorry...I do not know why I bother anymore....I am going to go back to doing what my avatar is doing......

These guys AND their views represent the minority view of pharmacy.

Low stress + flexible hours + respect + good money = only in your wet dreams

wrong...NP and PA are treated way nicer than Pharm.D . Heck, several times i make rounds and notice that RN/LVN call NP and PA "Here's the chart, doctor"...and they don't even correct that....i was like , "WTF? hello? I have a doctorate degree here...not them!"

Who know? they might have DNP :) NP will move to Doctorate in 2015. I think the educational preparation of NP is similar to PharmD (with the exception of Residency). 4 years nursing school + 2-3 years Master. The length is roughly equal to 2 year pre-req + 4 years PharmD..... Allied health and nursing are moving to clinical doctorate.. for the title/respect or for the knowledge?? sorry for being off topic :)

Last edited:

When a patient calls me Dr. in the clinic, I always make sure to correct them. I am proud of what I do and my title and make sure to present myself appropriately.

I think the OP ought to try working in a pharmacy (both retail and hospital) or at least shadowing and see if he likes it.

Find what you love and make it your hobby. Find what you like and make it your profession.

And you are an expert on Pharmacist views on pharmacy?

Here is a gem of a quote that proves what an "expert" you are.

Having outside dumpsters like that is against DEA regulations. If techs are putting bottles like that in trash cans that clerks use then that's a problem with management.

The statement not smart enough to know your not smart enough applies wonderfully to you. Idiot.

As a practicing pharmacist of ~12 years (saying this as it just may mean a little more than all the views of pharmacy students for this topic), it's not the minority view. I'm happy with my position and my career, and I definetly feel that I'm the minority.........

:laugh::laugh:
Quite easy for the c/o 2013 poster to say. :rolleyes:

Ive worked since I was 16. Thats 11 years now, so its not like Im clueless. Ive met people who hate their job and love their job. The difference is attitude.

If you want to be a cynical, thats fine...but dont blame the entire profession. :laugh:

And you are an expert on Pharmacist views on pharmacy?

Here is a gem of a quote that proves what an "expert" you are.

The statement not smart enough to know your not smart enough applies wonderfully to you. Idiot.

Dude, you're a nobody on a message board who expects respect from everyone because you're a "pharmacist" who hates his job.

As far as the rest of us are concerned, you're as irrelevant as disco.

Ignoring the above.

I love my job. I can see myself doing many different types of job, but I have never ever regretting choosing pharmacy. My job is moderately stressful (low stress = boring), good (but not flexible) hours, very good pay, challenging, great coworkers, respect from most people. It's like every other field - there are good and bad work environments.

There is no answer to this question, just like no one can tell you if you'd like being a dentist or a teacher or a landscaper.

Still waiting on that DEA dumpster regulation there genius.....

Oh, sorry I didn't know you had grown so fond of me that I should search all of your posts to look for mention of me. It's interesting you're egging me on when you've 'quit' the other thread that I had to handle you in.

Another fine instance of how worthless SDN is becoming.
Bringing a new thread off-topic and referencing the old thread that you brought off topic the exact same way?

Before this new found infatuation ends up with chloroform + myself locked in your trunk on the way to your fun farm, I just thought I'd let you know I don't have the furry or feathery poop shoot that you're looking for and are so fond of.

Oh, sorry I didn't know you had grown so fond of me that I should search all of your posts to look for mention of me. It's interesting you're egging me on when you've 'quit' the other thread that I had to handle you in.

Bringing a new thread off-topic and referencing the old thread that you brought off topic the exact same way?

Before this new found infatuation ends up with chloroform + myself locked in your trunk on the way to your fun farm, I just thought I'd let you know I don't have the furry or feathery poop shoot that you're looking for and are so fond of.

hahahahaa

ha

Not really...Let me give you another perspective:

When i worked for CVS, I was miserable..Long hours, no lunch and I felt like someones slave...But everyday I got to work on time, serviced my pts 110% and did the best i could...But i never lost hope that someday I would love my job...I soon realized that it wasnt pharmacy itself...it was the company i worked for...They made it miserable...20 pages of PCI calls, KPM, PSI, blah blah Triple S...I mean come on...So finally I quit...opened up a pharmacy, and i service many many people...Its been 10 months or so and i couldnt be happier with my job...everyday gets better and busier...NO BS. No nothing...just satisfaction...I do whatever i have to for my patients, cause it makes them healthier, and makes me wanna get up everyday and go to work...So there is hope...

And I'm sorry but you have to experience being in the HOT seat to see what its like...To have a drug interaction staring at you and at the same time having some douche bag manager asking you about PCI calls...or the drive thru going off...and the phones and a consult all waiting on just YOU...just BS...and for what? 130k a year and benefits? Im there already today...and we keep on growing...Dont lose hope...Look at other avenues of pharmacy...it can be rewarding...

Not really...Let me give you another perspective:

When i worked for CVS, I was miserable..Long hours, no lunch and I felt like someones slave...But everyday I got to work on time, serviced my pts 110% and did the best i could...But i never lost hope that someday I would love my job...I soon realized that it wasnt pharmacy itself...it was the company i worked for...They made it miserable...20 pages of PCI calls, KPM, PSI, blah blah Triple S...I mean come on...So finally I quit...opened up a pharmacy, and i service many many people...Its been 10 months or so and i couldnt be happier with my job...everyday gets better and busier...NO BS. No nothing...just satisfaction...I do whatever i have to for my patients, cause it makes them healthier, and makes me wanna get up everyday and go to work...So there is hope...

And I'm sorry but you have to experience being in the HOT seat to see what its like...To have a drug interaction staring at you and at the same time having some douche bag manager asking you about PCI calls...or the drive thru going off...and the phones and a consult all waiting on just YOU...just BS...and for what? 130k a year and benefits? Im there already today...and we keep on growing...Dont lose hope...Look at other avenues of pharmacy...it can be rewarding...

:thumbup:
Applause.gif

Ive worked since I was 16. Thats 11 years now, so its not like Im clueless. Ive met people who hate their job and love their job. The difference is attitude.

If you want to be a cynical, thats fine...but dont blame the entire profession. :laugh:

11 years working - :thumbup:

Exactly how many of those are as a pharmacist? To know exactly what it's like to be a pharmacist - esp a pharmacist in a chain retail setting (which is where many jobs are as well as much job disatisfaction is) - you need to be in those shoes, sorry. And I can tell you from experience, it's a whole world different when you are a tech/student working part-time (or even full-time) and being THE only pharmacist there dealing with it all (as Doctor M alluded to).

Again, check back with me after you have a few years of being a pharmacist under your belt (esp if you work for CVS, Walgreens, etc)

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Is it possible its lack of choice that is causing this problem? If youre good, and are not happy, and know for sure things are different elsewhere....why stay? If you arent happy, but arent competitive enough to get another job, maybe you could determine why that is. Is it loan debt holding you back? Is it the company culture?

Id like to think we arent completely screwed.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Is it possible its lack of choice that is causing this problem? If youre good, and are not happy, and know for sure things are different elsewhere....why stay? If you arent happy, but arent competitive enough to get another job, maybe you could determine why that is. Is it loan debt holding you back? Is it the company culture?

Id like to think we arent completely screwed.

Instead of making assumptions and asking me these questions, you might, just might, want to re-read my first post on this thread????

But thanks again for giving me the "career advice" :laugh:

If you want respect, you have to earn respect.

If you want respect, you have to earn respect.
There's a multiplier effect though. Different professions have different multipliers. That dude at McDonald's might be the hardest working and nicest guy in the county, with twenty Employee of the Month awards, but I doubt he'll get much more respect from his customers.

Instead of making assumptions and asking me these questions, you might, just might, want to re-read my first post on this thread????

But thanks again for giving me the "career advice" :laugh:

:rolleyes:

You said youre happy, I said its about attitude, you called me a newb, I said I wasnt, you said my opinion doesnt matter because Im not a Pharmacist.

If my initial thought (that its all about attitude) is incorrect, what do YOU think its is???

My line of questioning wasnt directed at you, anyway.