Return on C arm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med7343

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our hospital bought a C arm (1 week ago) after I selected the C arm.
Unfortunately, the last 2 times I have used it the image quality sucks especially on high BMI patients.
I wish I could exchange for another model from the same company
Wonder what the return/exchange policy are on these big ticket items.
Anyone had similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Our hospital bought a C arm (1 week ago) after I selected the C arm.
Unfortunately, the last 2 times I have used it the image quality sucks especially on high BMI patients.
I wish I could exchange for another model from the same company
Wonder what the return/exchange policy are on these big ticket items.
Anyone had similar experience?
Hospitals problem not yours. Tell them it sucks and can’t do your work

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure it is being utilized properly with the proper settings. If so and still does not work, it is the hospitals problem and they will need to get you another. Not your $.

This is the best i could get for a ganglion impar.

We had the GE rep come today to help with the setting. I went for the GE one, now regret not going for the 9900 elite model. Thought i will save $$$ for the hospital and also have more space in our small procedure unit. I hope they come with a return/exchange window.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 8.14.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 8.14.43 PM.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Do you have anything a little more representative? Lateral and AP lumbar, MBBs, cervical ESI something like that? I often find with the view you have that the stark difference in density between basically just subq tissue and fat posterior to the sacrum/coccyx and the whole pelvis anterior makes the image over/under exposed, especially if their bone density isn’t the best. GEs are typically workhorses, and a brand new one should have amazing image quality.

e setting. I went for the GE one, now regret not going for the 9900 elite model. Thought i will save $$$ for the hospital and also have more space in our small procedure unit. I hope they come with a return/exchange window.

Which model is your current one?

I was actually in the market for the oec one but, before I purchased it, I had the rep connect me with other pain physicians who were using it. The rep wasn’t that thrilled about the idea but did eventually provide me with some contacts. The 3 pain docs I spoke with had the same experience you are having- good for those thin and medium patients, but penetration for obese patients can be a challenge. One doctor eventually ended up selling it (taking a huge hit, mind you) and getting a used Phillips pulsera

My hospital picked up two of these for OR and ASC. Image quality better than 9900 and Pulsera (mine is 2007).
Great flat ii. Upgrade.

if that patient is huge, it might be the best image you can get with any machine.

you do have it coned down. maybe take it off pulsed for a shot or two. increase the brightness after you take the pic. you do have a competent rad tech to change these settings, right?

I maybe able to exchange
any comments/ criticism on "New OEC Elite 21cm Ergo-C with OEC Touch PMCare C-arm"

for the occasional obese patient you need to ramp up the settings. You dont really need 15kw of power for every procedure on everyone. 2.5kw, which is what you and i have, is perfectly fine for almost every procedure we do. I even use low dose on my unit also cuz i dont need crystal clear pictures of a facet joint and id like to keep my finger nails when im older. We wont get hit by the extra radiation of the 15kw. The elite CFD is nice....but not $175k-180k nice.

for the occasional obese patient you need to ramp up the settings. You dont really need 15kw of power for every procedure on everyone. 2.5kw, which is what you and i have, is perfectly fine for almost every procedure we do. I even use low dose on my unit also cuz i dont need crystal clear pictures of a facet joint and id like to keep my finger nails when im older. We wont get hit by the extra radiation of the 15kw. The elite CFD is nice....but not $175k-180k nice.
@Doctodd do you have the OEC one? Or are you just using the lower dose on another unit?