Right track to apply in 2014 to begin Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnc1521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a FL resident. I graduated high school with my AA degree.

My GPA is a 3.91 overall. At university I have a 4.0 and CC a 3.88. Science GPA=4.0 but I still have to do organic/physics. I have gotten all A's except a B in humanities and a C in college algebra. But I am taking higher level math classes now and should get a B or A in them to show I am not completely dumb with math. Plus, I got an A in stats.

MCAT: Unknown. Taking next summer when I am done with organic/physics. Also will be taking a review course

Honors: Citzen schoalor award at CC for my volunteer work

Volunteer:
1) I volunteered at a hospital at the main desk for over 200 hours in high school but it was at the same time I was also doing work for my AA so it technically was done in college. I just have to specify that on my app.
I volunteered at a fire dept for a few thousand hours. I got CPR certified, became a first responder, and a wildland firefighter. Began in high school (as above) and resigned while at university. Was also treasurer during some of these 3 years and then was secretary for a short time.
3) About 60 hours (while in college) at Relay for Life, a walk for cancer.

No research

Clubs:
I was in Phi Theta Kappa (the honor society) in CC
I plan on joining the club for people who want to go to med school this semester (when I start commuting to university rather than take online classes)

Jobs:
I worked seasonal (christmas time) in retail; one year I worked at Tilly's and the other winter I worked at bealls

I worked at Hollister (retail) for about 9 months, laid off due to an abundance of employees.

I currently work as an ER Scribe. I got the job in January so I will have about 1.5 years under my belt when I apply

Shadowing:
Trauma/general surgeon- about 13 hrs
ER PA: 9 hrs
nurse anesthetist: about 9 hrs.
I plan on shadowing the surgeon one or 2 more times. I am also going to try to shadow my cardiologist a few times and maybe a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Major: Health Sciences Pre-clinical track
minor: sociology
certificate: criminal profiling (just because I like it even though it has nothing to do with med school)

Undergrad school: UCF

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up with an A in both trig and essentials of calc if that helps any which has bumped my CC GPA to a 3.89 (not a big difference).

I also forgot to note I am bad with standardized tests so I am nervous for the MCAT. If I don't get a 30 or above, I am hoping for a min. 28.

What do you guys think? Would my EC and GPA make up if I don't do amazing on the MCAT