RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, guys! I am so excited to see they started a thread for those transitioning from nursing to MD!

I am a pre-nursing student who hasn't had started their clinicals and I am taking advantage of the free time I have before I start. My GPA is a 3.6 and hoping to aim for a higher GPA but focusing more school! However, I am concerned with my extracurricular activities, research, internships and shadowing aspect of the medical school application.

I started shadowing a trauma surgeon today and was wondering if this was a good start? Should I find someone else to shadow? If so, how many hours would you need to show you are truly invested.

Volunteering-wise, I have had experience dancing and teaching in various places in the USA, danced for 7 years and given a community commitment in a church and homeless shelter. However, I need something more on the medical aspect and I am in the process of volunteering on the floors of PACU and Neurology with helping nurses. Would this be a valuable opportunity? Again, if so, how many hours would you need to truly show if you are truly invested.

I was wondering if research or internships were absolutely necessary for medical school. I want to get into a top tier medical school and I would assume it would be needed. If you don't have it, would it ruin your chances?

I am debating on doing a summer research/internship but I would be finishing my BSN two semesters later due the next start of their next open cycle.
If you haven't even started a nursing program and you know you want to be a physician, just don't. I didn't know until it was too late. It's a longer, more difficult route to medical school through nursing school. Major in something else.

As for shadowing, trauma surgery is at an extreme of the spectrum. Try to get some shadowing in family medicine or at least primary care.

Research isn't absolutely necessary for medical school. However, it is for the top tier programs you are setting your sights on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Generally they are flexible, but since we're short staffed they said they can't afford for anyone else to go part time. I'm looking at switching units, but our hospital is having a problem with nurse retention so we're short everywhere. I'm not sure how much better it'll be anywhere else. I might just have to suck it up and find part time work at another hospital.

Can you look for another position, and then ask your current employer about per diem? 12+ hour night shifts are extremely challenging, and they can easily set you back--even if you are good at your coursework. It may not be so bad if you do not have other responsibilities/cares--such as family and other demanding issues. Even without the extras, it's tough; b/c you never quite feel right when working these long off-shifts. Inevitably people end up trying to live in two worlds--the night world and the day world. Eight hour nights PT may not be quite as bad, but these slots are difficult to find as well. A school nurse schedule it most advantageous for continuing your education; yet the pay is much less desirable than that within acute care/critical care. Keep looking. You will find something, but there is not guarantee that it will be ideal. Good luck MadH. :)

If you haven't even started a nursing program and you know you want to be a physician, just don't. I didn't know until it was too late. It's a longer, more difficult route to medical school through nursing school. Major in something else.

As for shadowing, trauma surgery is at an extreme of the spectrum. Try to get some shadowing in family medicine or at least primary care.

Research isn't absolutely necessary for medical school. However, it is for the top tier programs you are setting your sights on.

Surprisingly, I never thought about this until now. I always thought nursing would be a wise choice to help with my medical school application, but I'm assuming it isn't the case.

I actually love the environment that I had with the trauma surgeon. Would it still be a better choice or just find someone in family medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, sure spend more time in trauma surgery if you like it and have the opportunity. But don't pigeonhole yourself. At least spend a day with a primary care doctor.

Surprisingly, I never thought about this until now. I always thought nursing would be a wise choice to help with my medical school application, but I'm assuming it isn't the case.

I actually love the environment that I had with the trauma surgeon. Would it still be a better choice or just find someone in family medicine?

Also, health care experience including nursing is highly valued. But don't use it as a "stepping stone" if you already know you want to be a doctor. You'll have a hard time explaining the evolution of your goals. And nursing school is difficult! It definitely won't help with the king of med school apps--- GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Mingling with the docs was a great motivator for me and they always gave me good advice and support. Night shifts will be tough on the body/mind when you start to take on more course load. Research is not necessary, but it is an extra. I personally wouldn't worry much about research unless you want to actually do research. 1-2 years of research with no publications is not as fruitful as rounding out the rest of your application like rocking your pre-reqs, MCAT, and extracurrics.

Thanks so much for this advice! Yes night shift is definitely hectic on the body. I'm working full time this semester to save up some money and then plan on going per diem next semester. Sorry for your job not working out, but your positive mindset is awesome! Everything will fall into place.

Thanks so much for this advice! Yes night shift is definitely hectic on the body. I'm working full time this semester to save up some money and then plan on going per diem next semester. Sorry for your job not working out, but your positive mindset is awesome! Everything will fall into place.

I'm trying to cope with it still, but it is what it is now. At the end of the day, we all have more clinical experiences under our belt then most premeds, so losing ICU experience for me isn't a big deal. In fact, I learned it's just not the type of work environment I like.

Can you look for another position, and then ask your current employer about per diem? 12+ hour night shifts are extremely challenging, and they can easily set you back--even if you are good at your coursework. It may not be so bad if you do not have other responsibilities/cares--such as family and other demanding issues. Even without the extras, it's tough; b/c you never quite feel right when working these long off-shifts. Inevitably people end up trying to live in two worlds--the night world and the day world. Eight hour nights PT may not be quite as bad, but these slots are difficult to find as well. A school nurse schedule it most advantageous for continuing your education; yet the pay is much less desirable than that within acute care/critical care. Keep looking. You will find something, but there is not guarantee that it will be ideal. Good luck MadH. :)

Thanks! I actually talked to my manager about cutting back my hours next semester. I'm taking OChem I and physics I so I need to be able to give myself time to study. The only thing is I have a 2 years contract with the hospital or I will have to pay back a portion of money that I don't have. But I'll find a way to make it work!

I've been an EMT, NYC paramedic, a neonatal ICU nurse, and a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in private practice and the military (for 6 years now). Finally took the leap and applied to medical school. So nervous waiting for the invites to interview (scary). Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I've been an EMT, NYC paramedic, a neonatal ICU nurse, and a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in private practice and the military (for 6 years now). Finally took the leap and applied to medical school. So nervous waiting for the invites to interview (scary). Good luck everyone!

Please update on how it went for you. Give us a quick outline of your journey too if you have time. It's always a bit motivational to hear how someone else has done it.

Please update on how it went for you. Give us a quick outline of your journey too if you have time. It's always a bit motivational to hear how someone else has done it.

Nothing much really. Graduated from an Ivy League undergrad with degree in neurobiology but it wasn't competitive enough for med school at that time, so from 22 to (now) 36 I took a circuitous route :) worked my way up. After all these years of being in health care, 1 BS, 1 MPH, 1 BSN and 1 MSN degrees later, still want to pursue my first love of medicine. I don't have to...I can continue being a PNP and live a happy life -- but "What if?" I guess I have nothing to lose. I'll be 37 next year, if I get in...but why not?

I love what I'm doing now -- I feel like I make a difference being a pediatric nurse practitioner and I enjoy what I do. I have autonomy being an independent provider. I don't hate nurses or nursing. I don't hate doctors that I work with. Actually, everyone has been amazing. I appreciate the education and working in this field. And I was trained by one of the best PNP Program director in the country from Columbia University School of Nursing and I have great MD, NP, PA and RN friends and colleagues. I am pursuing an MD degree for me (and not getting into the politics of MD vs NP). Parents have refused to see me because I'm an NP. But I'm doing this for me to see if I can fulfill a lifelong dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Nothing much really. Graduated from an Ivy League undergrad with degree in neurobiology but it wasn't competitive enough for med school at that time, so from 22 to (now) 36 I took a circuitous route :) worked my way up. After all these years of being in health care, 1 BS, 1 MPH, 1 BSN and 1 MSN degrees later, still want to pursue my first love of medicine. I don't have to...I can continue being a PNP and live a happy life -- but "What if?" I guess I have nothing to lose. I'll be 37 next year, if I get in...but why not?

I love what I'm doing now -- I feel like I make a difference being a pediatric nurse practitioner and I enjoy what I do. I have autonomy being an independent provider. I don't hate nurses or nursing. I appreciate the education and working in this field. And Iwas trained by the best PNP Program director from Columbia University School of Nursing and I have great MD, NP, PA and RN friends. I am pursuing an MD degree for me (and not getting into the politics of MD vs NP). Parents have refused to see me because I'm an NP. But I'm doing this for me to see if I can fulfill a lifelong dream.

Awwwyeah another old folk (I'm 35, current applicant). Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 23 year old RN. I have been a RN for almost 3 years, mostly Med/Sur and Progressive care. Getting ready to start on a Trauma/Neuro unit. (pretty excited about that!) I love nursing but always wanted to be a MD. 5 years back I thought that becoming a nurse would satisfy my desire to be in the medical field. Got accepted to a great NP program last year... and I wasn't excited at all. That moment I realized that I just wouldn't be satisfied and decided to start on my pre-med reqs instead. I have a 3.4 gpa and great volunteer experience. Honestly still trying to figure out my timeline for applying. I was supposed to take Ochem1/phys this semester and ochem2/phys next semester and apply next summer. Those are the last classes I had to take. But due to some financial issues(I pay for my classes out of pocket) I was only able to take ONE class. So Im not sure if I should be waiting another year (2017) to apply. ANy advice on that would be appreciated, not sure how med schools view having a couple classes left to take when applying. Great to see other nurses on the same path!

I am a 23 year old RN. I have been a RN for almost 3 years, mostly Med/Sur and Progressive care. Getting ready to start on a Trauma/Neuro unit. (pretty excited about that!) I love nursing but always wanted to be a MD. 5 years back I thought that becoming a nurse would satisfy my desire to be in the medical field. Got accepted to a great NP program last year... and I wasn't excited at all. That moment I realized that I just wouldn't be satisfied and decided to start on my pre-med reqs instead. I have a 3.4 gpa and great volunteer experience. Honestly still trying to figure out my timeline for applying. I was supposed to take Ochem1/phys this semester and ochem2/phys next semester and apply next summer. Those are the last classes I had to take. But due to some financial issues(I pay for my classes out of pocket) I was only able to take ONE class. So Im not sure if I should be waiting another year (2017) to apply. ANy advice on that would be appreciated, not sure how med schools view having a couple classes left to take when applying. Great to see other nurses on the same path!

You don't technically have to have all pre-reqs done before applying (just before matriculation), though it does help to have grades established in important classes.

By one class do you mean you could only take Ochem 1, leaving Ochem 2, Phys 1, and Phys 2 undone? Or that you're taking Ochem/Phys combo now and leaving Ochem 2/Physics 2 til app year?

Where it may become a real hassle is the MCAT. I can't speak on the new MCAT so things may have changed where the amount of Ochem and/or Physics in concerned -- someone else will have to chime in there. But I took the old MCAT without having taken physics 2 (personal choice, took it in Jan '15 so I could catch the very last old one) and though my score was solid, I know not having had that class did hurt me a bit. PS was my lowest section.

If you're considering facing the MCAT without Ochem 2, Physics 2, or Biochem (don't forget biochem is on there now), I would caution you to gauge this based on your performance on practice exams before you potentially rob yourself of the best score you can get on the first try. Again, someone who's taken the new MCAT is better equipped to counsel on this as they've experienced the section re-sorting where I haven't.

Another, slightly more peripheral consideration, is that the fall of app year you may have to be gone for multiple class days for interviews. I had to drop a class this semester due to having to be gone more than the max allowable amount of absences -- I'm lucky that three other professors don't care as long as I keep up, but a fourth wasn't so lenient. If your plan involves Ochem and Physics in fall of '16 along with applying for '17 admission that may be rough. Just something to consider.

How's your science GPA, btw?

Great job! I'm impressed that you are determined to go to MD school. I agree with eccesignum -- Orgo and physics in one year is tough. Each of them individually is hard enough...I think it is a blessing that you can only take one course this semester. I know it's tough but I would just see how you do with the class you are taking and then decide what you want to do for next semester. And you're working full time too. You have to be careful not to stretch yourself too thin with work and school. Orgo and physics are important in the mcats. Just see this semester. What are you taking?

I just wanted to come in here and say that most of the RN's I've worked with in the medical field are pretty good and they seem very experienced/versatile/trained.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a quick update: I recently was offered a day shift position on my unit so I won't have to cut my hours next semester! Also, precalc/trig is kicking my butt :scared:

Great job! I'm impressed that you are determined to go to MD school. I agree with eccesignum -- Orgo and physics in one year is tough. Each of them individually is hard enough...I think it is a blessing that you can only take one course this semester. I know it's tough but I would just see how you do with the class you are taking and then decide what you want to do for next semester. And you're working full time too. You have to be careful not to stretch yourself too thin with work and school. Orgo and physics are important in the mcats. Just see this semester. What are you taking?

I took these two together while working full time.... It was killer, but doable
Made A's in both ochem and B's in physics

As the other poster said, do not go into nursing with the intention of becoming a physician. This is frowned upon by medical admissions, albeit less than it used to be.

Just a quick update: I recently was offered a day shift position on my unit so I won't have to cut my hours next semester! Also, precalc/trig is kicking my butt :scared:

Have you tried Khan Academy? Those videos saved my @ss in trig, seriously.

Reactions: 1 users

I was referring more to taking them in the same fall as your app year, due to absences for interviews. Otherwise taking them together is fine.

I took a year off of working as an RN and took all 8 medicine pre-requisites (gen chem, orgo, physics and Bio). I also received A's in all of these. It is doable people, very doable! But that year was a rough one to say the least... Making friends with each department chair will prove invaluable to you seeing as you will inevitably have to be placed in classes when you shouldn't be. For example in one semester I was taking Gen-Chem 2 whilst taking Organic Chemistry 1 and Physics!

Its like they say though, Those with goals are in control!

I'm a 34 y/0 ER nurse, considering application to medical school. I also have a B.S. in chemistry, and I'm one research class away from a M.S. in biology. My concerns are giving up the comfortable income of a RN to live in poverty another four years. After being a student for what seems like forever, it's nice to be able to go to Nordstrom and buy a pair of jeans without having to calculate to make sure I can afford the jeans AND my bills, ya know? Also, I really love the option of working three days a week. I'm not sure I'll ever be completely intellectually satisfied if stay in nursing.

Last edited:
It displays superficiality, lack of commitment and a lack of understanding about the path to being a doctor. it also reflects poorly on a person because they took a seat from someone else who did want to be a nurse.
Could you explain what you mean by this, as this notion has always perplexed me? Every student who makes application to medical school has an undergraduate major. Do adcoms feel the same way about chemistry, psychology, or music majors who are applying to medical school? I don't understand why nursing is any different. In fact, I think it's pretty wise, as medical school acceptance is not a guarantee. Having a plan B is just smart planning.

I was referring to specific nursing schools (ie a professional school), not mere UG programs. Anyone can get into college and be a pre-med.

Could you explain what you mean by this, as this notion has always perplexed me? Every student who makes application to medical school has an undergraduate major. Do adcoms feel the same way about chemistry, psychology, or music majors who are applying to medical school? I don't understand why nursing is any different. In fact, I think it's pretty wise, as medical school acceptance is not a guarantee. Having a plan B is just smart planning.

BTW, I was using a doctor's stethoscope today! Hope you guys did too! Lol

Attachments

• doctor's stethescope.jpg
    doctor's stethescope.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 100
Some major ignorance out there about nursing--plus the varying in types and depth of practice adds greatly to the confusion.

The View is nothing short of out and out ignorance and sciolism. It amuses me that it's still airing.

I haven't used a low quality stethoscope since being a kid in nursing school. Went into cardiac acute/critical areas, and quickly ascertained the importance of having a quality stethoscope with a thicker/wider tube circumference, etc. We weren't running BNP and NT-proBNP back then to get an early picture of CHF and such--that came later. We usually had to move a lot faster than that.

Still, biochemical markers shouldn't be used as stand-alone. Nurses, as well as physicians, should never underestimate or be weak in assessment skills and thorough physical exam skills--especially strong focal exam skills for heart, lungs, blood vessels,& bowels. Sadly, there are a number of nurses that lack experience and expertise in such skills and are weak in obtaining them or excelling at them in their practice. There also seems to be some deficiency, as well, in sound, critical thinking, and such things only reinforce the negative, nursing stereotypes.

Regardless, The View can go pound sand.

Re: Nursing Negative Stereotypes... Nothing new about this. You shrug it off and just keep moving.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
My name is Nathan, 27, of a Filipino background and an RN in TX for a little more than 3 years now with experience generally on med-surg and orthopedics. I'm glad to see this support thread for RN pursing medicine. So to start with, I've always had this desire of being an MD, but like other members I've seen here, I doubted my capabilities, and so I was easily convinced by my parents and siblings (who are nurses) to take up nursing. I love nursing, in fact, I took advance patho as part of the FNP program at UT Houston as a non-degree seeking student, thinking I would eventually get my FNP degree. I really enjoyed studying advance patho, that I was longing for more, but as I've seen, (at least at UT), aside from patho, they don't have anything further than that (science wise), and I think I would feel inadequate as a provider (that's not to say that NPs are not well trained/prepared, the NPs in my hospital are amazing, and brilliant! but personally, I wouldn't feel prepared enough) . And this brought me back to my childhood dream of becoming a physician! After finishing advance patho, I enrolled myself for a DIY post-back for med school, and trying to be really optimistic about it! :)

What are my chances? My grades are not stellar. My cGPA (for over 130 credits) is around 3.1, and my science sGPA is around 3.3 . Hoping to bring it up this semester (I'm taking up Orgo 1 and Physics 2), and will be taking their 2nd parts next semester (Spring). I plan on taking MCAT summer next year, and hoping to matriculate at 2017.
I loved your story! Not sure I can help with your chances, just a premed nurse aiming for the 16-17 cycle. However around your stats I would say be open to DO (you had specifically mentioned MD). Other than that, try making a post in the WAMC (what are my chances) for others to give input, including adcoms (maybe you already have, just trying to be helpful). It's sometimes hard without an MCAT score but I understand wanting some assurance of a chance before doubling down your efforts.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had to do some GPA repair after a BSN program to get them to a 3.5+ CGPA? I'm currently in a BSN program and considering the MD/NP route after a few years with my Bach. I ask about boosting CGPA up because I am currently having problems getting used to the test questions in 2nd semester.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had to do some GPA repair after a BSN program to get them to a 3.5+ CGPA? I'm currently in a BSN program and considering the MD/NP route after a few years with my Bach. I ask about boosting CGPA up because I am currently having problems getting used to the test questions in 2nd semester.

you could potentially do a post bacc program (if you still need to do the pre-reqs) which is a fast way to knock out the pre-reqs in one place or an SMP but both do take some work and $$$. personally, i didn't do any of those because my GPA was pretty good and i started working full-time after obtaining my license

I was long-time PD in ACGME EM residency, still active faculty member. (FWIW, I'm a DO). One of our very good ED nurses decided to fulfill her dream and go to med school. She was successful and is currently an MS2 at state MD school. Nursing certainly gives you insights and experiences in health care that most applicants don't have. That being said, it probably won't help otherwise. You still need strong grades and solid MCAT- nursing degree won't make up for that if you don't. She did and did a great job- she worked hard to get there. Keep your eye on the prize but in the end your stats will need to carry you.

Hey everyone,

I am very thrilled about this thread because I have been lurking round the net since I decided that I want to be an md two years ago. I finally decided to check again this morning and voila I found this.

A little about myself, I recently graduated from nursing school in May of this year with a 3.7 cumulative GPA. I intend to start taking prereqs at a CC in January and that will probably take 2 years after which I'll take the MCATS and apply. I kind of wish I'd realized this during my undergrad because I had a lot of free time and paid a fixed rate per semester.

My one question is whether anyone thinks taking classes at a CC might hurt me?

Hey everyone,

I am very thrilled about this thread because I have been lurking round the net since I decided that I want to be an md two years ago. I finally decided to check again this morning and voila I found this.

A little about myself, I recently graduated from nursing school in May of this year with a 3.7 cumulative GPA. I intend to start taking prereqs at a CC in January and that will probably take 2 years after which I'll take the MCATS and apply. I kind of wish I'd realized this during my undergrad because I had a lot of free time and paid a fixed rate per semester.

My one question is whether anyone thinks taking classes at a CC might hurt me?
I do not think taking classes at CC will hurt your chance...at least not to me. I am not sure about the top schools though. Invest $20-30 on MSAR and they have information on which schools do accept and not accept CC classes

Hello Everyone!

Like many of you I have chosen the BSN/RN- Doctor (MD or DO) route. As a child with my own health issues, I always wanted to be a physician, but was not confident in my abilities to become a physician and due to family circumstances I needed something that would guarantee me a job upon graduation from undergrad. Since then I have become confident academically and have had a lot of experience in hospitals and clinics overseas that have solidified my desire to become a physician. Now I am looking into postbac premedical programs. I feel that I am a strong candidate for postbac programs with an overall GPA of 3.9, overseas medical service trips, volunteer work and several extracurriculars during undergrad.

I am wondering if anyone on here attended a formal postbac program and if so, where? I am looking at UVM, Bennington, Tufts, and Temple currently. If you did not attend a formal postbac, I am still interested in hearing anyone's advice on what they think would be a good route for me to go, that would ultimately lead me to med school?

If you have a 3.9 GPA then you do not need to do post bac program. It is for someone with low GPA n it is usually expensive. Just take preq classes if you have not done so. The activities you listed are good enough but it is hard to predict your chance without mcat.

Does anybody know if NURS courses count for sGPA? I remembering reading something awhile back saying that they do NOT count for sGPA and are added into the cGPA. If somebody has any update on this that would be great!

No they don't....
Thank goodness. Because there is nothing scientific about them. Infact, I think Nursing should be a BA in Nursing rather than the BScN, because we write more essays than anything.

Thank goodness. Because there is nothing scientific about them. Infact, I think Nursing should be a BA in Nursing rather than the BScN, because we write more essays than anything.
I agree... But if a course title is: 'Pathophysiology', it will count as science, but the core nursing classes do NOT count...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! I thought I was the only person! I'm a RN BSN working in a Medical PCU in Florida. Been licensed since '12. I've ALWAYS wanted to be a doctor and being on the floor only emphasize it! I'm so SCARED, I don't even know where to begin this process. There are tons of prereqs to catch up on, and I feel like l'll never get it done. Ohhh, I'm almost 27, single, no kids, hence adding to the anxiety. Ohh...and there's the finance worries. I'm already used to working and making enough money for me and my folks. Arrghhh! I'm presently looking at post bac programs to help me in studying for MCAT. I'm sooo happy that I found this thread. I can't talk to my coworkers about my hopeful transitions, probably look at me like a traitor. Lol!

Last edited:
Hey, guys! Love seeing this thread still going, and wanted to come back to drop some hope in here. I'm 35 and still a working RN (ED currently, started in med-surg), and have been accepted to two MD schools with several more decisions pending.

Nursing has come up in every single interview. Every one. So many schools have now incorporated modules focused around the concept of the medical team and interdisciplinary cooperation. I've been asked such a big range of questions, from what I think the nurse's role is to how I think my experience will influence my behavior on future healthcare teams. Start making notes of patient and provider interactions that have influenced you. Behavioral interviews ("Tell me about a time you...") are out there and I've had many opportunities to share personal stories that shaped my path. Engage as much as you can with other members of your team and think about how it's molding you.

The other parts of your application need to be strong. Remember nursing is still only one aspect of your picture, and they're looking for well-rounded, interesting, kind people on top of the academic smarts. Do what you need to do to kill it in school. Destroy that MCAT. Find community service that you love -- I have a strong service background and I know it helped me, particularly at the mission-based schools I applied to. Do art. Play music. Enjoy your hiking, or beer-brewing, or anything else you love to do, and let your love of creativity shine. I was asked quite a few times what I love to do when I'm not at work, and how I de-stress. I also can't keep stressing enough how important the "team" is now in the mindset. Small group-based learning is the new spreading hotness and many schools are looking specifically for people who function well in teams. Whatever you do in extracurriculars and volunteering, don't make it solely about you. They want to see that you play well with others, as leader, follower, coordinator, teacher, and student.

I know shadowing is a controversial issue for nurses, but I'll say this: I shadowed about 75 hrs and was told in one interview that that was a weak spot in my application. It may have been an anomaly but based on that I'd suggest you do shadow to be sure you've covered your bases. No matter how involved we are we still don't do what a doctor does, and it's worth spending the time showing that you've seen "the other side" (especially, shadow several fields both familiar and unfamiliar to you if you can). Just my two cents there.

Anyway, best of luck to those in this cycle, and those dreaming of the future. I'm happy to talk in PM if anyone has specific questions. I don't have all the answers in the world by far, but I can give my perspective.

Reactions: 11 users
So I'll admit I haven't read through this thread completely but I wanted to offer another voice of encouragement. I was a nurse for 3 years in an intermediate ICU and I am now a first year medical student at a top 5 medical school. I had no research experience but did have fairly good grades in both of my undergrad degrees. I had a very middling MCAT score. If I were to give any advice it would be to find what you love and pursue it. Don't do research just to say you did or to check off boxes, find something that really speaks to you. Every time in this twisted career/education path that I've done something because I thought I 'should' but not because it really interested me or I wanted to I ended up not using that particular pre-requisite or having that experience not be very valuable to me. On the interview trail I never met another nurse and met very few other people with significant experience. By virtue of being a nurse you stand out. You'll do great.

I'm sure this thread exists elsewhere, but I would love to hear from other people who are in medical school. Being a nurse in medical school presents its own challenges and takes a lot of thinking about my approach to healthcare system power dynamics, the student role, and what the role of a nurse in a medical school class should be.

So I'll admit I haven't read through this thread completely but I wanted to offer another voice of encouragement. I was a nurse for 3 years in an intermediate ICU and I am now a first year medical student at a top 5 medical school. I had no research experience but did have fairly good grades in both of my undergrad degrees. I had a very middling MCAT score. If I were to give any advice it would be to find what you love and pursue it. Don't do research just to say you did or to check off boxes, find something that really speaks to you. Every time in this twisted career/education path that I've done something because I thought I 'should' but not because it really interested me or I wanted to I ended up not using that particular pre-requisite or having that experience not be very valuable to me. On the interview trail I never met another nurse and met very few other people with significant experience. By virtue of being a nurse you stand out. You'll do great.

I'm sure this thread exists elsewhere, but I would love to hear from other people who are in medical school. Being a nurse in medical school presents its own challenges and takes a lot of thinking about my approach to healthcare system power dynamics, the student role, and what the role of a nurse in a medical school class should be.
Did you shadow? i'll be applying in the 2016-2017 cycle. i have not shadowed yet and was wondering If i really need to. i work in ICU and i feel like i have observed enough to know what the responsibilities of a doctor are? I have volunteer and done some research though

Hey everyone! Thanks for sharing all your stories! It was interesting reading it all!

About me, I've been an RN for about 3 years in the Intermediate Care Unit. As most of you posted here, I also did not have the confidence to major in pre-med when I first started college. I was painfully shy before I became a nurse that it made some of my nursing clinical grades suffer. I have an Associates Degree in Nursing with a GPA of 3.4. My GPA was 3.9 before the program :confused: Now I am more outgoing and I just love talking to my patients! I always try to cheer them up, especially when they're down! :)

I've always liked to study and I feel that I am ready to do Pre-Med. I'm currently enrolled in a 4-year University majoring in Biology. I honestly do not want to get a BSN... I feel like majoring in Biology will help me understand the contents for medical school better. I'm taking Bio 1, Bio 2 and Calculus this semester while working part-time in the weekends.

My reason for leaving nursing? I want to learn more. I want the challenge. I want to do research and hopefully make a difference one day. I've always dreamed of becoming a Cardiologist or an Electrophysiologist. I've always been interested in heart rhythms. I can't imagine being a nurse for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I do love caring for my patients. It's the catty people I work with, management and staffing. I just HATE how day-shift and night-shift nurses tend to become enemies most of the time. Being a Nurse Practitioner doesn't appeal to me at all. I was thinking of becoming a CRNA, but I feel like I won't be happy being one. I just don't like the idea of coming to work all the time with a potentially angry surgeon breathing down my neck.

It's almost the start of a my first semester back in school and I'm excited! :D

I was thinking of becoming a CRNA, but I feel like I won't be happy being one. I just don't like the idea of coming to work all the time with a potentially angry surgeon breathing down my neck.

It's almost the start of a my first semester back in school and I'm excited! :D
Even if you become an anesthesiologist, you will have some these guys breathing down your neck... Surgical specialties in general attract a bunch of [insert].

Even if you become an anesthesiologist, you will have some these guys breathing down your neck... Surgical specialties in general attract a bunch of [insert].

Hah, tell me about it! I've seen so many nurses get yelled at mostly by surgeons in my career. :mask::mask::mask:

Next up would be internal medicine doctors or hospitalists. :meh: