Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be a bad idea to mention their good match list in my secondary? (as a reason why I want to attend)
I mentioned it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the different types of admission statuses? Mine is currently APPL - applicant

So what's the consensus on completing the CO secondary if you only got an email to complete the UT secondary? Has anyone been invited to complete UT then have been asked not to complete CO?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the different types of admission statuses? Mine is currently APPL - applicant

After APPL it goes to FILEC which means your file is complete (mine was just marked complete yesterday). Not sure after that though sorry!

First rejection of the cycle - At CO campus
3.57sGPA, 30 (79th %tile)MCAT, worked in healthcare for 7 years. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

3.57sGPA, 30 (79th %tile)MCAT, worked in healthcare for 7 years. Good luck everyone!

I'm sorry to hear that man! You're stats are solid though so don't worry. When were you complete?

App submitted 7/10, completed 7/20 :thumbup:

Those are strong stats. I'm sure you'll get love from lots of schools! I wonder what RVU is searching for though...

II Colorado- in state!

II! Omg I am so excited!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
II for me too! OOS with LizzyM ~75. I received an email and my status is changed on the portal to "Interview - CO". I'm excited for this interview because I'm close enough to drive and I'm staying with family in Denver so I'm bringing my wife. It will be a party! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats you guys, I'm super excited for you! When were you guys complete?

I was complete on 7/19.

Also, fun fact that I didn't know... The email said they accept ~75% of those they interview. So if you have one, you're in a good place!

Congrats! did you guys get an email or checked portal? when did you submit secondary?

I got an email! I gave up on checking the portal a week ago, haha. Submitted secondary 07/07/2016!

Woot woot! Congrats to you guys that got the interview!

Rejected.
3.45c 3.41s 506 MCAT

Complete mid July.

It was for Colorado and they sent me an email.

I might have a few red flags.

I retook a number of classes. I was initially a Spanish major with a minor in Bio, and I didn't put any effort into the Bio classes. Poor grades my first pass through those classes may have hurt me.
It also took me a couple extra years to graduate, due to the major change(s).

I was hoping being about to speak Spanish would make up for any issues.

Would everyone that has an II be able to post their stats here as well? It seems they're raising the stat bar this year. :bucktooth:

How long after being complete can you expect to hear from this school?

Would everyone that has an II be able to post their stats here as well? It seems they're raising the stat bar this year. :bucktooth:

509 3.81/3.71

The II email states that they have a 75% acceptance rate post-interview.

509 3.81/3.71

The II email states that they have a 75% acceptance rate post-interview.

That statistic is very true. They're pretty picky about who they interview and you have to royally screw up the interview to not get accepted.
I'm not sure how many people from my interview group (11) actually got acceptances, but 6 of them are current first years with me.
This school is all about fit...

Hey everyone! Another current first year student here. PM me if you have any questions about RVU.

Congrats on those who got an II. The II is very laid back and conversational. RVU truly wants to know about you. As others have said, receiving an interview means RVU is really interested in you.

Rejected.
3.45c 3.41s 506 MCAT

Complete mid July.
I'm really sorry to hear about your status. Some wise advice for any school though is to follow-up and directly ask what the weaknesses/flags were in your application and what they recommend you do to improve your application. It's better than guessing even though you feel you already know what some of them might be. Best of luck!

Secondary finally submitted here! This is my first choice school!

It was for Colorado and they sent me an email.

I might have a few red flags.

I retook a number of classes. I was initially a Spanish major with a minor in Bio, and I didn't put any effort into the Bio classes. Poor grades my first pass through those classes may have hurt me.
It also took me a couple extra years to graduate, due to the major change(s).

I was hoping being about to speak Spanish would make up for any issues.
A word of advice for all future readers: never ever retake a course. I have two friends who serve on ADCOMs and say that when you retake a course they don't even care about the grade. They say if you didn't take a higher level class to replace it they'll compute your GPA with the lower grade. At best retaking a course hurts you less, but it certainly doesn't help you.

Totally false. You think adcoms are computing everyone's GPAs on their own when AACOMAS does it for them? AACOMAS does grade replacement.

Reactions: 2 users
A word of advice for all future readers: never ever retake a course. I have two friends who serve on ADCOMs and say that when you retake a course they don't even care about the grade. They say if you didn't take a higher level class to replace it they'll compute your GPA with the lower grade. At best retaking a course hurts you less, but it certainly doesn't help you.

Are you sure they're adcoms for DO schools? DO is literally grade replacement sanctuary.

Are you sure they're adcoms for DO schools? DO is literally grade replacement sanctuary.
One DO one MD. DO at an older school says that they will at most replace a handful of BCPM grades over a semester or two if you present extenuating circumstances (not being a freshman), but will expect all higher level courses 300 and above to be a minimum of a B's but like A's. MD friend just told me that if you have a bad first year but have above a 3.8 for the remainder they don't even care about your first year (excluding D's and F's). Both said that if your MCAT is at or below 75% in any category you better have a majority of B's and A's in that category. This is just what they said, and not inherently indicative of all schools; however, both are on ADCOMs that are particularly well respected by both applicants and other schools.

One DO one MD. DO at an older school says that they will at most replace a handful of BCPM grades over a semester or two if you present extenuating circumstances (not being a freshman), but will expect all higher level courses 300 and above to be a minimum of a B's but like A's. MD friend just told me that if you have a bad first year but have above a 3.8 for the remainder they don't even care about your first year (excluding D's and F's). Both said that if your MCAT is at or below 75% in any category you better have a majority of B's and A's in that category. This is just what they said, and not inherently indicative of all schools; however, both are on ADCOMs that are particularly well respected by both applicants and other schools.

How many applicants retake more than a handful of courses anyway? Another way to say this would be that if you have to redo half of your entire education to get good grades, it's a red flag. That's a far cry from saying never ever retake a course...

Still "APPL" status for both schools, taking a while to get to complete.

To RVUCOM students or accepted students, is the College truly committed to research?
I usually try to stay away from mentioning my research background with DO secondaries and focus on clinical but the College has research in its mission statement and has a research track that I don't see at many DO schools. Would this be a good topic for "why RVUCOM?"?