Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@GBCrzzyy @durangotang I'll try to give the TL;DR version. Basically more concerned about board scores than putting students first, pulled recorded lectures without asking student input, major competition between classmates. There was a bit more that I'm sure I'm missing.
They didn't actually pull recorded lectures. They only pulled recordings of BSC and CIS sessions which are just glorified interaction sessions. They just pulled the recordings because only 10-20 second years would actually show up to these.
This is still getting figured out, as there has been a large response from the student body against it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They didn't actually pull recorded lectures. They only pulled recordings of BSC and CIS sessions which are just glorified interaction sessions. They just pulled the recordings because only 10-20 second years would actually show up to these.
This is still getting figured out, as there has been a large response from the student body against it.
That's good to know! Are lectures mandatory?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to know! Are lectures mandatory?
No they aren't. I may just be a first year, but I haven't gone to lectures since the first week of class.
It is important to note, however, that lectures are different than the BSC and CIS (correlation and information sessions). They would really like to have people at these extra ones, but they aren't as common as lecture, nor are they required. As with every school, things are dynamic and susceptible to change. I do understand the second years' frustration though. The Dean's counsel did go over the student government association with regards to this.
I'm pretty sure this is just going to blow over. Well I hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That is encouraging.
There will be a meeting on Friday about it. We can keep everyone updated on the decision. Hopefully nothing changes and they will continue to record everything.

bon22, the issue is that BSCs and CISs are used in the second year to present NEW material (thus essentially should be considered a lecture but isn't). And there are by far more BSCs and CISs in the second year than lectures, probably about 3 BSC/CISs per 1 lecture. If they did tell student govt about it they gave absolutely no warning to the rest of the student body. Recordings are very valuable to go back and rewatch, especially for difficult classes you'll have down the road.

I got the message so I'm up-to-date now. Thanks @ubengi!

bon22, the issue is that BSCs and CISs are used in the second year to present NEW material (thus essentially should be considered a lecture but isn't). And there are by far more BSCs and CISs in the second year than lectures, probably about 3 BSC/CISs per 1 lecture. If they did tell student govt about it they gave absolutely no warning to the rest of the student body. Recordings are very valuable to go back and rewatch, especially for difficult classes you'll have down the road.
That's true. What happened was wrong, but hey, Hillary didn't go to prison so I guess this is okay!
To current students: fill out the survey they sent out so your voice can be heard!

Lol just checked the portal and I was rejected at UT too! Nice.

did they alert you through email or did you check the site? also, stats?

I saw an email first then when I logged on it had changed to interview on the portal.
cgpa 3.83, sgpa 3.89, 506 MCAT, IS, non URM

Members don't see this ad :)
Lectures are still being recorded but will only be given to students who have informed the school of an inconvenience or emergency.
They pulled the clinical correlation sessions, which are, at MOST, about 3-4 hours a week. AT MOST. Most weeks it is just 2 hours. The reason they did this was because they want to make these sessions much more interactive and prepare students to think more "on their feet" without WebMD and google at their fingertips. The reason they did this was that the Dean's Office and the curriculum directors conducted a study and said that the one thing that Rocky Vista students could improve on was "quick thinking" skills on wards and that this was something that preceptors noted could be improved. Most 4th year Denver students spend a year at St. Joseph, Jewish Health, and Sweedish hospitals, all of which are also hospitals that CU students/residents rotate at. Starting this fall, RVU 3rd/4th year students can now also rotate at CU's teaching hospitals for free (used to cost thousands of bucks) and they pretty much want to start make us think more like clinicians from day 1, a part of that being "quick thinking" on wards and being "pimped." The school believes that making these sessions required attendance would help with this. These sessions are essentially times when the professor goes through cases and asks the class questions that bridge clinical findings with the physiology/pathology that students learn in the normal lecture. So you're pretty much pimped before 3rd year and it's excellent practice, in my opinion, on being able to recall info quickly and relating it to a clinical case.
Also want to note that these sessions will be recorded and given to students that have an emergency or other important commitment. Nothing is still set in stone though and the policy might change in a week.
Feel free to message me if you have other questions. I hope this answered some of your concerns/questions.
The rest of the normal lectures recording policy hasn't changed though. Those are still being recorded.

Last edited:
Also, this definitely differs by class, but the class of 2020 is definitely not that competitive. Students work hard, pull all nighters, give their 100% focus to school but still help each other. Everyone shares notes, quizlet decks. question banks, etc. I don't know where this "competition between students" started. We aren't' graded on a curve and the professors mention it literally every week. If everyone in the class scores a 90%, everyone in the class gets a 90%. That's probably never going to happen but there is no active competition between students. Everyone just works really hard. Class of 2019 is totally different though. I feel like everyone I talk to in that class wants to be a surgeon or cardiologist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also, this definitely differs by class, but the class of 2020 is definitely not that competitive. Students work hard, pull all nighters, give their 100% focus to school but still help each other. Everyone shares notes, quizlet decks. question banks, etc. I don't know where this "competition between students" started. We aren't' graded on a curve and the professors mention it literally every week. If everyone in the class scores a 90%, everyone in the class gets a 90%. That's probably never going to happen but there is no active competition between students. Everyone just works really hard. Class of 2019 is totally different though. I feel like everyone I talk to in that class wants to be a surgeon or cardiologist.
Agreed. I have never been asked what I got on a test by other students because we really just want to make sure that we all passed.

Ioannes, this is true for the first couple weeks of first year but as you will progress into courses further on in first year they ramp up the number of CISs/BSCs to get the class more clinically focused. High yield test questions are often presented for the first time in BSCs and CISs especially later on, and trust me, when you get to finals at the end of the semesters you will want to have access to recordings cause you will naturally be tired and zone out in class. And while its good to get pimped, you need to be able to get to 3rd year first, which is very hard for many students at this school, as it has a low retention rate per class relative to most other DO programs. Pulling recordings is a big red flag, many students rely on those to prepare for tests cause you WILL inevitably miss important tested concepts that are especially harped upon in CISs/BSCs.

I do hope your class is less competitive than mine by the way, there are some really nice people but also a lot of really Type A grade focused individuals that stress me out

Lectures are still being recorded but will only be given to students who have informed the school of an inconvenience or emergency.
They pulled the clinical correlation sessions, which are, at MOST, about 3-4 hours a week. AT MOST. Most weeks it is just 2 hours. The reason they did this was because they want to make these sessions much more interactive and prepare students to think more "on their feet" without WebMD and google at their fingertips. The reason they did this was that the Dean's Office and the curriculum directors conducted a study and said that the one thing that Rocky Vista students could improve on was "quick thinking" skills on wards and that this was something that preceptors noted could be improved. Most 4th year Denver students spend a year at St. Joseph, Jewish Health, and Sweedish hospitals, all of which are also hospitals that CU students/residents rotate at. Starting this fall, RVU 3rd/4th year students can now also rotate at CU's teaching hospitals for free (used to cost thousands of bucks) and they pretty much want to start make us think more like clinicians from day 1, a part of that being "quick thinking" on wards and being "pimped." The school believes that making these sessions required attendance would help with this. These sessions are essentially times when the professor goes through cases and asks the class questions that bridge clinical findings with the physiology/pathology that students learn in the normal lecture. So you're pretty much pimped before 3rd year and it's excellent practice, in my opinion, on being able to recall info quickly and relating it to a clinical case.QUOTE]

declined for both colorado and utah campuses!
received email update for colorado 8/23, complete 7/21.
just checked portal for utah so not sure when, but complete 7/29.
best of luck to everyone interviewing and still waiting on decisions!

Ioannes, this is true for the first couple weeks of first year but as you will progress into courses further on in first year they ramp up the number of CISs/BSCs to get the class more clinically focused. High yield test questions are often presented for the first time in BSCs and CISs especially later on, and trust me, when you get to finals at the end of the semesters you will want to have access to recordings cause you will naturally be tired and zone out in class. And while its good to get pimped, you need to be able to get to 3rd year first, which is very hard for many students at this school, as it has a low retention rate per class relative to most other DO programs. Pulling recordings is a big red flag, many students rely on those to prepare for tests cause you WILL inevitably miss important tested concepts that are especially harped upon in CISs/BSCs.

I do hope your class is less competitive than mine by the way, there are some really nice people but also a lot of really Type A grade focused individuals that stress me out

Look, man, I have to disagree that it's red flag to not release recordings of CIS's and BCS's. Good board scores are good, but RVU should definitely try to make students more than board taking machines. If you end up with a ton of knowledge but can't use critical thinking to apply that knowledge to a case, you're really got nothing more to offer than a textbook or an algorithm. Besides, residency applications won't go well for anyone if they get a great board score but the 3rd year evaluations all say "I understand acapnial got a good board score, which is surprising, because he's dumber than a box of hammers".

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that aggressive participation in the CIS's and BSC's is actually going to do that much for developing critical thinking skills, but the fact that RVU is actively trying to prepare people to be strong clinicians instead of getting tunnel vision on board scores is a good thing, not a red flag.

Agreed. I have never been asked what I got on a test by other students because we really just want to make sure that we all passed.

Definitely agree! I mean, I have met people who are more stressed out about having good grades or being in the top 10 percent, but for the most part everyone is pretty chill. :D

Look, man, I have to disagree that it's red flag to not release recordings of CIS's and BCS's. Good board scores are good, but RVU should definitely try to make students more than board taking machines. If you end up with a ton of knowledge but can't use critical thinking to apply that knowledge to a case, you're really got nothing more to offer than a textbook or an algorithm. Besides, residency applications won't go well for anyone if they get a great board score but the 3rd year evaluations all say "I understand acapnial got a good board score, which is surprising, because he's dumber than a box of hammers".

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that aggressive participation in the CIS's and BSC's is actually going to do that much for developing critical thinking skills, but the fact that RVU is actively trying to prepare people to be strong clinicians instead of getting tunnel vision on board scores is a good thing, not a red flag.

I think the school has good intentions, but I don't think they are going about this the right way. In the (not yet implemented) policy, the recordings will not be released, but class attendance is not mandatory. They are hoping that by not releasing the recordings, more people will be willing to go to class. They mentioned that if students still don't want to go to CISs and BSCs, then they might make attendance mandatory. However, even having mandatory attendance does not guarantee active participation. Let’s say, now the classes are mandatory and everyone is going to class now but still not participating, then what else are they going to do? Force everyone to ask one or two questions per class and keep score? What if this leads to not recording the lectures? Then having mandatory lectures? Not releasing the videos for CIS and BSCs can escalate very quickly and cause a cascade of other problems.

It is also important to note that, and I'm going to quote you here, " I don't think that aggressive participation in the CIS's and BSC's is actually going to do that much for developing critical thinking skills." If the concern of the school was to find ways to adequately prepare students for 3rd and 4th year, they can do so many other things than stop releasing videos for CISs and BSCs. They can make change the way those classes are taught or find other ways to to help the students prepare for rotations.

The school can voice their concerns and ask students for ideas on how to improve our clinical skills. Or change those classes so they will be more discussion based or more clinically involved, etc etc. However, what they did instead of randomly emailing us one day informing us that they will suddenly stop releasing the recordings for CIS and BSCs. The way the school did this is disturbing and this is what troubles many students.

declined for both colorado and utah campuses!
received email update for colorado 8/23, complete 7/21.
just checked portal for utah so not sure when, but complete 7/29.
best of luck to everyone interviewing and still waiting on decisions!

Hey where are you deciding on going?

Hey where are you deciding on going?
currently waiting on more future interviews!
have only interviewed for ACOM and NSU so far, but really excited for some ones coming up.
please pm me if you have any specific questions :)

Secondary sent. The waiting game begins.

I am considering applying to RVU's Utah and Colorado campuses, but only have 3 letters of recommendation (1 humanities professors, 1 science professor, and 1 from a PI/mentor). Would these letters fulfill RVU's LOR requirements? Thanks for your help.

II!! I got it earlier today as I left my first interview. Ive heard Utah is beautiful -- looking forward to it!

Has anyone applied while not meeting the minimum requirements and still received a secondary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Also, this definitely differs by class, but the class of 2020 is definitely not that competitive. Students work hard, pull all nighters, give their 100% focus to school but still help each other. Everyone shares notes, quizlet decks. question banks, etc. I don't know where this "competition between students" started. We aren't' graded on a curve and the professors mention it literally every week. .

I also wanted to say this is spot on. Our class makes tons of resources for each other.

& @acapnial : I disagree with your comment. Deciding to take away BSC and CIS sessions recordings without any warning or student input is a red flag. This seems to have a huge effect on second years since, as mentioned, there's many BSC and CIS sessions. Ultimately, recorded lectures are essential resources to study and taking these away are very illogical. It undoubtedly effects students' learning and preparation for exams.

Overall, it would have been more understandable for the administration to give a warning about their concerns of the attendance for these sessions or make them absolutely mandatory (even though I strongly oppose this) before taking away the recordings.

But, I am hopeful that this will be resolved....

Last edited:
Have been invited for interview to the Utah Campus. I've had several invites from new schools but most likely will not be attending. I do have interest because of the RVU affiliation - is that reasonable to think/expect similar structure and average board scores attending this affiliate?

Also, has anyone interviewed or know of proximity of clinical rotations? Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: I have been accepted to a school with established rotations. Which is my main concern when looking at schools.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Have been invited for interview to the Utah Campus. I've had several invites from new schools but most likely will not be attending. I do have interest because of the RVU affiliation - is that reasonable to think/expect similar structure and average board scores attending this affiliate?

Also, has anyone interviewed or know of proximity of clinical rotations? Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: I have been accepted to a school with established rotations. Which is my main concern when looking at schools.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
Hey did you just get an II today?

This stupid trashy school can burn in hell. Just got a rejection email today. Stats (506/3.86). Are you kidding me??? I'm above their 2019 class stats. This is complete BS. I didn't live under a rock during my undergrad either, I have experiences. I hate how med schools exploit students by my charging them $$$ for apps and then reject their ass under the protection of "we have a holistic admissions process." Its funny that this school has its own students putting it on blast on SDN over troubled faculty decisions. This school sucks. Its founder Yife Tien failed out of medical school after one year and used daddy money to build RVU.

:boom:

This stupid trashy school can burn in hell. Just got a rejection email today. Stats (506/3.86). Are you kidding me??? I'm above their 2019 class stats. This is complete BS. I didn't live under a rock during my undergrad either, I have experiences. I hate how med schools exploit students by my charging them $$$ for apps and then reject their ass under the protection of "we have a holistic admissions process." Its funny that this school has its own students putting it on blast on SDN over troubled faculty decisions. This school sucks. Its founder Yife Tien failed out of medical school after one year and used daddy money to build RVU.

Questions:
1. In state or out?
2. Colorado or UT?
3. Complete date?

That really is a bummer... Hoping you have success at another school. Good luck buddy!

Sorry to hear about your rejection. But unlike other schools, RVU only sends out invites to people they seriously consider accepting. 75%+ of people who interview get acceptances. Spending some money on secondaries, not too bad. But, I can't stand those schools that interview almost everyone and only accept 30%-50% of people they interview. Plane tickets and hotels aren't cheap! :uhno:

Reactions: 4 users

Are you going to post this on every school's thread after you get rejected?

Are you going to post this on every school's thread after you get rejected?
Seems like every school that doesn't accept OP is "stupid", "trashy", and can "burn in hell" :laugh:

I bet your grades and experiences weren't the negative factors for your denial.

I can imagine an AdCom reading this and thinking "glad we screened this one out." Getting into medical school is a privilege, not a right, regardless of your statistics.

Reactions: 8 users

lol if you came of this pompous in your personal statement I'm not surprised you were rejected.

Reactions: 5 users
I have been looking at the curriculum here and was wondering if a current student wouldn't mind elaborating on how anatomy is structured? From the handbook it doesn't look like there is a specific anatomy course. Is it incorporated into the different system based courses as we get to each course?