Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted at the beginning of August but had a LOR rejected because it technically wasn't from a science professor, which is very true. Had another professor write me a LOR and they posted it up less than a week ago. I hope my secondary isn't considered late or all the spots are taken up because of the delay :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted at the beginning of August but had a LOR rejected because it technically wasn't from a science professor, which is very true. Had another professor write me a LOR and they posted it up less than a week ago. I hope my secondary isn't considered late or all the spots are taken up because of the delay :unsure:
They won't all be taken up. Don't stress too much about it.

Just looked at the portal: "Thank you for your application to RVUCOM-UT. We regret that due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool, we are not able to extend an interview offer to you this year. We hope that you find a school that is a great fit for you as you continue to pursue your goal of becoming a physician. " REJECTED!!! And I'm a UT resident too! Total bummer!! Good luck to everyone else though...

Does this have any impact on my chances at the CO campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking at the curriculum here and was wondering if a current student wouldn't mind elaborating on how anatomy is structured? From the handbook it doesn't look like there is a specific anatomy course. Is it incorporated into the different system based courses as we get to each course?

You're correct, anatomy is integrated into each systems course. In September, you begin MSK (musculoskeletal) system. In lecture you learn about muscles, bones, peripheral nerves, histology, embryology of the MSK system, and general anatomy. Then in lab you dissect the muscles/arteries/nerves and learn the bony anatomy. After MSK you move onto Cardiology then Pulmonary systems during which you dissect the thorax. Second semester starts off with GI and dissection of the abdomen. Then mid-February or March you move onto pelvis/repro/gu track, and finally you finish the year with neuro system and dissection of the head/neck/brain. You only receive 1 grade for the whole system, which includes lecture and lab exams. For example, in neuro, your grade depends on all your neuro lecture exams, and neuro lab exams. Same idea for each other system.

Last edited:
Just looked at the portal: "Thank you for your application to RVUCOM-UT. We regret that due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool, we are not able to extend an interview offer to you this year. We hope that you find a school that is a great fit for you as you continue to pursue your goal of becoming a physician. " REJECTED!!! And I'm a UT resident too! Total bummer!! Good luck to everyone else though...

Does this have any impact on my chances at the CO campus?

I dont think it does! I'm pretty sure both applications are looked at completely separately. When were you complete if you dont mind me asking?

Seems like every school that doesn't accept OP is "stupid", "trashy", and can "burn in hell" :laugh:
Seems like every school that doesn't accept OP is "stupid", "trashy", and can "burn in hell" :laugh:

Screw RVU. If there are current med students taking time out of their schedule to post negative comments on SDN about this school then that is a serious red flag. I wish this school would have given me an interview, but its their loss and yeah they can burn in hell. Also if I was a URM no question I would at least got an interview.

Screw RVU. If there are current med students taking time out of their schedule to post negative comments on SDN about this school then that is a serious red flag. I wish this school would have given me an interview, but its their loss and yeah they can burn in hell. Also if I was a URM no question I would at least got an interview.
Good luck with your feelings.

Reactions: 5 users
There's going to be negative comments about pretty much EVERY med school out there from a few unhappy students. With the current situation that you're mentioned, are the students happy about it? No. But, has it been finalized? Not yet. So you're talking about a hypothetical situation.

Also, I'm not sure why you're wishing this "stupid trashy school" gave you an interview. :thinking: I mean..it's so stupid and trashy and all... :thinking::thinking:
Either that, or ya know..you got your feelings hurt ;) cause you really wanted them accept you but you didn't even get an interview.

P.S. With how you're reacting to this whole rejection thing...I definitely don't see how it's the school's loss, if anything they dodged a bullet. :hello:

Reactions: 6 users
I dont think it does! I'm pretty sure both applications are looked at completely separately. When were you complete if you dont mind me asking?
I submitted my secondary on 8/6.

Hey everyone! I'm a first year at RVU and just wanted to say that I'm available to answer any questions you have about the school or application process. One thing I will say right away that some of you have mentioned is that "fit" is HUGE at this school. Even though there is a good amount of diversity, virtually every student I've met has an air of easygoing professionalism. In other words, even the "gunner" students know when to turn it off and relax. For those of you who have an II, SMILE, BE APPROACHABLE, EMPHASIZE COLLABORATION, RELAX! Remember that passion is different than intensity, and overly intense students are generally not accepted here.

A few other bullet points in case you are wondering...
-Dress code: In effect Monday-Thursday 8am-5pm. Not a big deal. Solid color t-shirts (or small logos) with jeans and tennis shoes are fine. Also, Fridays are casual. Dressing up for standardized patients is required (duh). If you want to be in baggy clothes 24/7 then you may want to reconsider your career choice. ;) Kidding, but you get my point.
-For profit status: Non-issue. The professors and administrators are some of the most helpful, collaborative and passionate people I've ever met. In other words, if there is a difference the students don't see it.
-Faculty leaving for other schools: Yes there is some poaching because of RVU's board score success, and some of the 2nd years are bummed that they left. But the other professors are great and the curriculum is the strength of the program. I do not believe that board scores will dip because some professors left. They've hired great replacements.
-Rotations: If you want to stay in the Denver/Colorado Springs/Boulder area you are almost guaranteed to do so.
-Military support: if you are HPSP or prior service I would highly recommend looking at this school. Extremely supportive of military students.
-Marijuana use: PROHIBITED! You will be kicked out if you are caught. They did so last year. I'm not saying if that's right or wrong but that's the school's stance.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're correct, anatomy is integrated into each systems course. In September, you begin MSK (musculoskeletal) system. In lecture you learn about muscles, bones, peripheral nerves, histology, embryology of the MSK system, and general anatomy. Then in lab you dissect the muscles/arteries/nerves and learn the bony anatomy. After MSK you move onto Cardiology then Pulmonary systems during which you dissect the thorax. Second semester starts off with GI and dissection of the abdomen. Then mid-February or March you move onto pelvis/repro/gu track, and finally you finish the year with neuro system and dissection of the head/neck/brain. You only receive 1 grade for the whole system, which includes lecture and lab exams. For example, in neuro, your grade depends on all your neuro lecture exams, and neuro lab exams. Same idea for each other system.
Thanks! That was very helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
II a few days ago, debating going to interview or not.
Is it due to financial issues? Since RVU accepts 75%+ of students they interview, it's a good chance that you'll have an acceptance if you go to the interview than other schools.
Out of curiosity, do you already have acceptances from other schools? Also, what other schools have you gotten interviews at? It's good to do pros and cons of each school and if you really have no interest in attending a particular school and already have acceptances to other schools that you like more, then there's no need to interview at the schools you don't like.

If there were more seats open than they anticipated later in the cycle, they would be more lenient on who they choose to come interview.

Would anyone be willing to elaborate on the clinical exposure you get at RVU during your first and second years? What kind of opportunities are either available or required? Thanks!

Rejected post-secondary! 3.3, 3.3, 503
Rationalizing to myself that Colorado would have been a bad fit for me because I would be infatuated by the weed shops or something. :hardy:

Rejected post-secondary! 3.3, 3.3, 503
Rationalizing to myself that Colorado would have been a bad fit for me because I would be infatuated by the weed shops or something. :hardy:

Just now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone had an interview at the CO campus yet? I'm scheduled for September 9th and was just wondering what to expect

Complete sine 08/03 and still no new...jeez

Anyone had an interview at the CO campus yet? I'm scheduled for September 9th and was just wondering what to expect
The previous few years of RVU interviews have had feedback that it's a very laid-back stress-free experience (my own experience included). You'll arrive at 8am or 1pm depending on the slot you choose. Your day will consist of having a tour of the building, possibly being allowed to sit-in on a lecture in progress, seeing the manipulation's lab in session (afternoons only), might see the anatomy lab in session (not till mid-September) and having a lot of people talk to you. If the school president or dean are on campus, they'll talk to you too. Throughout the whole day, student ambassadors will be in and out - constantly asking you if you have any questions. You'll also be fed lunch while having opportunity to ask anymore questions of the students. Many questions will be answered for you that you didn't even know you had. You'll also be given the opportunity to try on a white-coat so that should you be accepted, they know what size to order for your ceremony; some people wished to know this before showing up, so there you go.

Finally, the interview itself is, I think, 30 minutes but don't quote me on that. It's usually 2:1 (this information isn't private...) so you'll have a doctor and a professor, or two doctors, or two professors, or another member of administration. The interview might take place first thing when you arrive, or at the end of everything else - just depends on the day. You receive an exact schedule when you arrive. If you want to see something that's not on your schedule - don't be afraid to ask. Admissions staff wants you to experience all you need to ensure this is the place for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that RVU does NOT invite you for an interview unless they feel they'd accept you based on your paper application. They also don't waste your money by sending out secondaries unless you've met the minimum acceptance requirements. Someone else earlier in this thread seemed to have good stats coming in, well above average, but was denied even an interview - the angry person. RVU does take a holistic and very thorough look at your essays, statements, and history - and if they can see through your application that you're not a good fit, they won't waste time inviting you. What does this mean? If you're invited for an interview, all you need to prove is that your application matches your personality - kind of to prove you didn't copy-paste some else's essays, etc. That literally translates to "be yourself." Of course, easier said than done.

Based on observation of previous classes, RVU does like students with a good amount of real clinical experience - not just someone who shadowed for 1 week or volunteered for 1 month in order to simply check the box on their application. Have you laid hands on a patient and treated them? Have you stood by a doctor and watched as they saved someones life, or talked them through bad news, or even performed a simple sports physical? Do you really know what you're getting yourself into as both a student and a profession? If yes, prove it to them in your essays and interview. A check box doesn't prove anything.

I will not discuss the questions you might be asked as that's unethical - but any interview-prep book should be good, and actual mock interviews are even better.

I will tell you 3 questions that you should know for ANY DO and even MD school across the country (these are also not secret...):
1. Why do you want to be a doctor?
--> This is not simply "I wanted to be a doctor since I was 5" even if that is the case. Instead this question translates to "what has maintained and grown your interest specifically in the medical field since you were 5?"

2. Why do you want to be a DO specifically?
--> If you're applying to a DO school because the requirements seem easier, and you don't really know much about osteopathic practices and principles - let me tell you - the interviewers will see straight through you and they won't be impressed.

3. Why do you want to attend THIS school specifically?
--> Some people might struggle with this question because they're CO natives and really just want to come here because it's local. Rephrase the question - if RVU was located on the east-coast, why would it be your #1 school then? Of course be honest and mention you're local, but make sure that's not your only reason.

Happy to answer other questions too.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
The previous few years of RVU interviews have had feedback that it's a very laid-back stress-free experience (my own experience included). You'll arrive at 8am or 1pm depending on the slot you choose. Your day will consist of having a tour of the building, possibly being allowed to sit-in on a lecture in progress, seeing the manipulation's lab in session (afternoons only), might see the anatomy lab in session (not till mid-September) and having a lot of people talk to you. If the school president or dean are on campus, they'll talk to you too. Throughout the whole day, student ambassadors will be in and out - constantly asking you if you have any questions. You'll also be fed lunch while having opportunity to ask anymore questions of the students. Many questions will be answered for you that you didn't even know you had. You'll also be given the opportunity to try on a white-coat so that should you be accepted, they know what size to order for your ceremony; some people wished to know this before showing up, so there you go.

Finally, the interview itself is, I think, 30 minutes but don't quote me on that. It's usually 2:1 (this information isn't private...) so you'll have a doctor and a professor, or two doctors, or two professors, or another member of administration. The interview might take place first thing when you arrive, or at the end of everything else - just depends on the day. You receive an exact schedule when you arrive. If you want to see something that's not on your schedule - don't be afraid to ask. Admissions staff wants you to experience all you need to ensure this is the place for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that RVU does NOT invite you for an interview unless they feel they'd accept you based on your paper application. They also don't waste your money by sending out secondaries unless you've met the minimum acceptance requirements. Someone else earlier in this thread seemed to have good stats coming in, well above average, but was denied even an interview - the angry person. RVU does take a holistic and very thorough look at your essays, statements, and history - and if they can see through your application that you're not a good fit, they won't waste time inviting you. What does this mean? If you're invited for an interview, all you need to prove is that your application matches your personality - kind of to prove you didn't copy-paste some else's essays, etc. That literally translates to "be yourself." Of course, easier said than done.

Based on observation of previous classes, RVU does like students with a good amount of real clinical experience - not just someone who shadowed for 1 week or volunteered for 1 month in order to simply check the box on their application. Have you laid hands on a patient and treated them? Have you stood by a doctor and watched as they saved someones life, or talked them through bad news, or even performed a simple sports physical? Do you really know what you're getting yourself into as both a student and a profession? If yes, prove it to them in your essays and interview. A check box doesn't prove anything.

I will not discuss the questions you might be asked as that's unethical - but any interview-prep book should be good, and actual mock interviews are even better.

I will tell you 3 questions that you should know for ANY DO and even MD school across the country (these are also not secret...):
--> This is not simply "I wanted to be a doctor since I was 5" even if that is the case. Instead this question translates to "what has maintained and grown your interest specifically in the medical field since you were 5?"

--> If you're applying to a DO school because the requirements seem easier, and you don't really know much about osteopathic practices and principles - let me tell you - the interviewers will see straight through you and they won't be impressed.

--> Some people might struggle with this question because they're CO natives and really just want to come here because it's local. Rephrase the question - if RVU was located on the east-coast, why would it be your #1 school then? Of course be honest and mention you're local, but make sure that's not your only reason.

Good luck!
Holy mother Mary.... Where were you when I needed you last year?
I agree wholeheartedly with all of the information you put here. I would also add that before your interview, you get a bio of your two interviewers with a picture so you can get to know them on paper before you walk in (it also helps to know their names before you go in).
Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Also, when the security guards offer you candy, TAKE IT

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this answer! This is all great information!

RVUCOM-Colorado just put the kibosh on my application. Best of luck to the rest of you! I was complete awhile back(I don't quite remember)

I've literally gotten no communication from them and I've been complete almost a month now...

Has anyone gotten and invite for and interview yet? (And if so how long since you finished your secondaries)

Has anyone gotten and invite for and interview yet? (And if so how long since you finished your secondaries)

I was invited to Utah campus. I was complete at Utah on 8/12. I have been complete at Colorado since 8/8 and have not heard anything yet.

I was complete on 8/3 for CO and 8/16 for UT and nothing from either of them yet.

No confirmation e-mail either. Just going off of my portal info.

Does anyone know how quick of a turnaround time is after an interview? Do they generally give you a decision in 2 weeks, or one month afterwards?

I was invited to Utah campus. I was complete at Utah on 8/12. I have been complete at Colorado since 8/8 and have not heard anything yet.
i've also been complete at RVUCOM since 8/8 and haven't heard anything yet

Does anyone know how quick of a turnaround time is after an interview? Do they generally give you a decision in 2 weeks, or one month afterwards?
Mine was 2 weeks. They do let you know when you should expect to hear from them.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on when they meet. Last year they met once every 2 weeks I think. If your interview was at the beginning of their two week cycle it might take two weeks, if your interview was on of the last days in the 2 weeks cycle, it might be a few days before you hear back from them. Either way, before you leave for the day they will tell you when you should expect to hear from them :)

Question, so my portal now says prospective student along with my tab that says applicant. Yesterday there was only the applicant tab that told me my file was complete. Does anyone know what this means or has it happened to anyone else?