Rosalind Franklin BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where did you get this number from? I heard it was lower...~70.

At least 76 were accepted, not all will be attending CMS though (going to other schools etc)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied at the cutoff, and just received notification of "alternate list" this morning... It says acceptance can occur up till August 13th. Not looking good at this point....

Hey like I said in an earlier post my friend who is now at CMS got in in the middle of orientation. It's not over yet!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using SDN Mobile

I visited there about a month ago and that's what the admissions counselor who gave me a tour said. Where did you get your number from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I visited there about a month ago and that's what the admissions counselor who gave me a tour said. Where did you get your number from?

I heard from someone who knew a lot of people from the previous BMS class, and also my OA. I'm really hoping it's your number though because it's def a more optimistic number for us :D

EDIT: I removed a bit from what I originally posted. These questions will be answered best during orientation. If you have more questions, PM me.

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry I keep posting but people have been PMing me a lot about this question. If you want the numbers, PM me and I'll give you the best answer I can. I'd rather not post publicly on this thread.

Last edited:
How big was the class last year and how many got into CMS, but didn't go? Anxious to start already...! :scared:

Hey All,

I was wondering if there is anyone still in need of a female roommate? Please PM me, only 3 weeks left ahhh

OH MY GOSH. i just got accepted. I cant believe it!! I wanted to collapse after Melissa broke the news :laugh:

So much to prepare!! Anyone still need a roommate?

I'm nonsmoking female looking for a place to live in Woodlands? Please PM thanks so much!!

hi everyone..
my cousin is thinking of applying to this program next year but his adviser told him that doing an SMP is not the best route for him and instead should re-take his MCAT since his GPA is high but he is hesitant only bc his practice scores were around a 26 so he scored his average and feels he cannot do better (note: he took a Kaplan prep class too)
his stats are: 3.89uGPA and 26MCAT
what do u guys think? are SMPs only for those with low GPAs?

I agree with his adviser. SMPs are typically designed for people who have low GPA's and decent MCATs. Your cousin should save ~$50K and focus on improving the MCAT.

As mentioned in other threads, it is difficult to get a 3.9+ in med school courses. Your cousin would have to do just that in order to not hurt the GPA (although, graduate GPA's do not factor into undergrad GPAs). But the point is that doing an SMP would not not address the low MCAT.

Are we listing on AMCAS as transcript exemption then? And when will we be able to obtain the graduate LOR??

Last edited:
hi everyone..
my cousin is thinking of applying to this program next year but his adviser told him that doing an SMP is not the best route for him and instead should re-take his MCAT since his GPA is high but he is hesitant only bc his practice scores were around a 26 so he scored his average and feels he cannot do better (note: he took a Kaplan prep class too)
his stats are: 3.89uGPA and 26MCAT
what do u guys think? are SMPs only for those with low GPAs?

By applying to BMS with that MCAT score, your "cousin" is basically putting eggs in only one basket. IF he does successfully in the program, he'll get in. If not, he just wasted $60k and a year, and possibly his opportunity to enter US MD programs.

I agree with his adviser. SMPs are typically designed for people who have low GPA's and decent MCATs. Your cousin should save ~$50K and focus on improving the MCAT.

As mentioned in other threads, it is difficult to get a 3.9+ in med school courses. Your cousin would have to do just that in order to not hurt the GPA (although, graduate GPA's do not factor into undergrad GPAs). But the point is that doing an SMP would not not address the low MCAT.

In general yes,

RFUMS, no

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all ! I know this is extremely last minute but is anyone still looking for a roommate. I'm a guy but I don't mind rooming with a male or female !

Sorry, just to clarify, if we have been accepted into the BMS program, we should still be filling out the AMCAS application right now hoping to accepted to CMS in 2013? If we haven't started it yet, are we at a disadvantage? And how do we enter in the BMS program when we haven't started? Sorry for all the questions, I am just very confused (and panicking a little)

Sorry, just to clarify, if we have been accepted into the BMS program, we should still be filling out the AMCAS application right now hoping to accepted to CMS in 2013? If we haven't started it yet, are we at a disadvantage? And how do we enter in the BMS program when we haven't started? Sorry for all the questions, I am just very confused (and panicking a little)

It's ok Mef312, I've been getting PMs about this question. Yes, you fill out your AMCAS exactly like you would if you were you applying directly to CMS. Just indicate that you are enrolled in a masters program at RFU and indicate that your classes are current/in the future. The adcom at CMS will place you in the BMS pool and monitor your grades. Other schools you apply to on AMCAS will ask ask for grade updates if they are interested in you as a medical school candidate.

Just got in, and yes I need a roommate! Still available?

Just got in today as well! Excited, but looking for a roommate on short notice.

It seems like a lot of people applied to the post-bac program at the same time when they're applying to other med schools. Is there anyone who's applied to only post-bac schools? Also, am I still guaranteed an interview at RFUMS if I apply to CMS after completing the BMS program?
I thought I would be... :(

It's ok Mef312, I've been getting PMs about this question. Yes, you fill out your AMCAS exactly like you would if you were you applying directly to CMS. Just indicate that you are enrolled in a masters program at RFU and indicate that your classes are current/in the future. The adcom at CMS will place you in the BMS pool and monitor your grades. Other schools you apply to on AMCAS will ask ask for grade updates if they are interested in you as a medical school candidate.
Hi, I don't know if my reply went through, but I'm kind of panicking regarding the interview process. I'm accepted to BMS program, I did not apply to AMCAS this year thinking I was going to apply in June 2013 and have the granted interview with CMS afterwards. After reading the thread, I feel like a lot of people applied for both BMS and the regular MD program at the same time. Are the guaranteed interviews granted still if I start applying next year or have I lost the guarantee already??? PLEASE PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!

Hi, I don't know if my reply went through, but I'm kind of panicking regarding the interview process. I'm accepted to BMS program, I did not apply to AMCAS this year thinking I was going to apply in June 2013 and have the granted interview with CMS afterwards. After reading the thread, I feel like a lot of people applied for both BMS and the regular MD program at the same time. Are the guaranteed interviews granted still if I start applying next year or have I lost the guarantee already??? PLEASE PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!

No worries, you didn't lose your guarantee if you submit all your prerequisite materials for medical school by the CMS deadline this year. Just fill out your AMCAS like normal and get it in in the next few weeks. You might also be able to defer your entry year if that's what you want to do, although I'd call Dr. Pullen to make sure. One of the best parts of BMS is that there is no glide year, meaning you can enter med school the following fall.

Yeah BMS program just guarantees interview for your current year you are in the program, not for next year or any time afterwards. Get your AMCAS in and everything done soon.

Hey everyone in near the school today trying to find a place to live. I need a roommate though otherwise the rent is going to be ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a roommate for anyone also just off the waitlist!

hey guys, i'm planning on applying to rfu bms next year and was wondering how science and overall gpas are calculated, is it similar to amcas or different?

The application is closed and on the website it doesn't state anything about gpa calculations. Appreciate any feedback.

Hi, I'm in the program right now

I believe grades were calculated the same way as amcas would. For a definitive answer you should call and find out, admissions was really friendly when I called about a few issues. On the actual application you don't have have to fill out a section listing all your grades.(i'm guessing they pull gpa off of transcripts) only grades they ask to fill in on the application is what your med school pre-req grades were.(so perhaps these are the most important grades?)

i was going though the requirements and noticed that now you have to have inorganic chemistry?? is this true

i was going though the requirements and noticed that now you have to have inorganic chemistry?? is this true
inorganic chemistry is just the "general chemistry"....the term inorganic is commonly used to distinguish it from the "organic chemistry" :)

Hey everyone that knows they got in; CONGRATS!!!

Also I was wondering if someone could give me a detailed interview experience? Mine is coming up!

Hey everyone that knows they got in; CONGRATS!!!

Also I was wondering if someone could give me a detailed interview experience? Mine is coming up!

Are you looking for their MD program admissions (Premed forum)? This is the thread for their postbacc program. Application cycle ended in August...

App for 2013-2014 class is up...thought I should bump this thread. Maybe someone can start our own thread for the upcoming year, because moderator ignored my request

I emailed a program representative about submitting a letter of intent to matriculate and/or participating in an Early Decision type of a program for this SMP, and I'm waiting on a reply. I'll post in this thread if the news is positive, if it's okay with the program representative.

As a Californian, I don't have a lot of faith in the further East SMPs for getting me any home state advantage, and I don't like risking 50 grand and two years to apply broadly for an MD. That sounds like a bum deal, to me.

Understandable. But the RFU BMS is more for people who are interested in actually going to RFU. They guarantee an interview to all their students who want to go to the medical school. From what I've read from many of the RFU threads is that grades in the BMS classes heavily affects whether one is admitted to the program. From all the info I gathered, it seems that as long as you have a better than 25 MCAT and you do well in the BMS classes, and don't sound like a complete a-hole/dummy in the interview that its pretty much guaranteed that they will admit you. And no gap year after the BMS if admitted. I have a friend who took this path and is in the med school right now. I figure this could work for me too, since it is too long to rehab my GPA.

But I am not a student there so I don't know all this for sure. If any actual BMS students want to chime in, I'd really appreciate it.

RFU's alumni have mixed reviews, but mostly postive mixed reviews. Do a search and you'll see plenty of people post their experiences with the program.

Mostly, from what I've gathered, getting a C in the program is bad news, and you should be aiming for over a 3.5 to be safe.

I'm not sure how you think that RFU isn't my main choice since I'm trying to do an early decision/intent to matriculate, but RFU is my main choice, so far.

This is me from another thread:

Here's a start at my preference list, in order:
1. SMP with linkage -- 40 grand, 1 year. Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, or maybe U of Cincinnati. No U of Toledo or NYMC thanks, but no thanks.
Pros: I get an MD after my name. Not much else.
Cons: Eastern Virginia. Cincinatti. Bumville. North Chicago might be alright. Might. These programs aren't guaranteed.

2. USC MGM. Apply DO beforehand, and MD at the end of the program. 40 grand, 1-2 years.
Pros: It's California, and "USC" does have a ring to it.
Cons: Global Medicine? Really? That sounds great, and I'd love to help, but I need to get into medical school first, guys. Don't scoff at me for wanting to take all your science electives. No one really knows if this is a real SMP, or not.

3. Tufts University MBS/MBA, or Boston University MAMS/MBA -- 60 grand, 2 years.
Pros: The degree is worth something, and might justify the extra time and money involved. It's Boston. Tufts is a good name, as is Boston University. Known programs.
Cons: It's Boston, and it ain't cheap. There are no guarantees, no linkages, and plenty of failure stories from California students that did well in these programs having 3.4/30's from University of California undergrads that didn't get any allopathic acceptances.

3. Tied for 3rd place is Drexel IMS Sacramento -- 30 grand, 2 years.
Pros: I'm from Sacramento, and it's cheap.
Cons: Some admissions reps think that video casting sucks. Others think the drexel name doesn't carry much weight.

4. Georgetown -- 45 grand, 2 years.
Pros: The name, program history, etc. It can get you into medical school... but who knows which one?
Cons: Just about everything else. It's a gamble, and it's the most expensive of them all. Did I mention that it's a gamble? The degree is worthless.

For people in the program,

I'm pretty certain I've extrapolated as much as I can from the last couple years of threads, from what I can gather they don't start making decisions until late February?

I'm trying to figure out if they don't start actually reviewing apps until around then, as I'd like to just wait as long as possible and still be considered an early submission so I could log more volunteering.

Thanks for the help!

For people in the program,

I'm pretty certain I've extrapolated as much as I can from the last couple years of threads, from what I can gather they don't start making decisions until late February?

I'm trying to figure out if they don't start actually reviewing apps until around then, as I'd like to just wait as long as possible and still be considered an early submission so I could log more volunteering.

Thanks for the help!

Im a BMS student. Log in the hours and then submit. I don't know when they start reviewing, but you are correct that during my cycle first round of acceptances went out Late February. February/March is still early in the application cycle considering they accept them until June, and I know a handful of people who got in applying in June.

I emailed a program representative about submitting a letter of intent to matriculate and/or participating in an Early Decision type of a program for this SMP, and I'm waiting on a reply. I'll post in this thread if the news is positive, if it's okay with the program representative.

As a Californian, I don't have a lot of faith in the further East SMPs for getting me any home state advantage, and I don't like risking 50 grand and two years to apply broadly for an MD. That sounds like a bum deal, to me.

Any news yet?

krd1025, there were a few international students from last year's BMS class who got in - I don't think citizenship was held against them

Did you hear anything positive back from the program representative regarding Early Decision? Do you know when they will start accepting students?

I think I will apply here in January when I have the money to do so... My application cycle is really not going very well so it looks like another year of SMPs for me.

Would any current BMS students be willing to comment on how the med cycle is going for their class and how many are getting into CMS this year?

Would any current BMS students be willing to comment on how the med cycle is going for their class and how many are getting into CMS this year?

Directly from a current BMSer that just joined the 2013-14 facebook group, which looks like most will likely get in:

About 14 of us got in so far. There will be many more acceptances coming in May probably, as that's how it's worked in the past.
We all shared As in biochem and CMCB, and had good standing in physio, neuro, and topics in physiology. Bs are cool though as they should get most people in eventually. Avoid Cs at all cost. No one cares about your pre BMS grades or MCAT. A person with a 3.0/25 has the same starting chance as a person with a 3.9/36. ECs don't come into play much. Also, try your best to not to ECs during the year, an A instead of a B is infinitely more important than holding a leadership position while in the program.

Directly from a current BMSer that just joined the 2013-14 facebook group, which looks like most will likely get in:

Take this info with a grain of salt. A 3.9/36 could still get in with a C because he/she could get in regardless of being in BMS. Just aim for As, and then even if you fall short and gets a fews Bs, you'll still be okay.