Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't it a great feeling not to be a pre-med anymore? Congrats to all BMS students who got in!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the official "packet" in the mail with the medical forms and other required docs? I got accepted back in January and still haven't received anything :-/

Has anyone received the official "packet" in the mail with the medical forms and other required docs? I got accepted back in January and still haven't received anything :-/

From my conversations with them, we won't receive that until after may 15th.

I am wait-listed as of 22APR2013... Any one have a clue when the wait-list will be resolved? Is there a way, besides bugging the selection people more than I already do, to determine where you stand on the wait-list?

Hoping to get into PA school and, since I was declined on all my other apps this last cycle, this seems like a great way to get in without simply "taking a year off."

cGPA=3.15 sGPA~3.0, 5,000+hrs with military experience as a medic. This included 3 deployments working with PA's providing guidance and mentoring. 3 SOLID letters of recommendation from A M.D. I worked for as a medic, A PA and my research Doctor (PhD).

Any feedback or alternative suggestions would be appreciated. Good luck to all those that got in.

I am wait-listed as of 22APR2013... Any one have a clue when the wait-list will be resolved? Is there a way, besides bugging the selection people more than I already do, to determine where you stand on the wait-list?

Hoping to get into PA school and, since I was declined on all my other apps this last cycle, this seems like a great way to get in without simply "taking a year off."

cGPA=3.15 sGPA~3.0, 5,000+hrs with military experience as a medic. This included 3 deployments working with PA's providing guidance and mentoring. 3 SOLID letters of recommendation from A M.D. I worked for as a medic, A PA and my research Doctor (PhD).

Any feedback or alternative suggestions would be appreciated. Good luck to all those that got in.

Based on the last few years, you can get pulled off the wait list at any time - all the way up to the week of orientation to the program. They are pretty close to the vest with information about the wait list, it seems like the only thing is to saddle up for a lonnggg summer (on the wait list as well).

With your experience, they'll love having you in the program. there will be plenty of movement, so not to worry. And if you don't get in, just apply as early as possible next year. You'll do great.

Yeah...I'm settled in... I just wish my contacts could give me an update.... Maybe an estimate of how many have been accepted, how many have paid for a seat.... I hope the fact I am trying to use this to get into a PA slot doesn't negatively affect my standing

I have also been put on the waitlist as of May 6th. What are the chances of being pulled off the list? Also, when is the first day of classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on the waitlist mid-March. Hopefully they start looking at it soon. Does anyone know how many people have been accepted or how full the class is so far?

I've been on the waitlist since March 1st. This whole waitlist thing is so frustrating! :(

classes start august 12th, i believe orientation starts the week before (it is mandatory)...good luck to everyone on the waitlist! Hope to meet you guys there =]

Accepted yesterday! I'm taking my MCAT in two weeks and unless I get a 45, I'm pretty sure I will be attending the program. Good luck to all those on the waitlist.

Waitlisted today as well :/ Any advice besides calling and showing interest? And does anybody have any idea of when most of the movement should occur?

Accepted yesterday! I'm taking my MCAT in two weeks and unless I get a 45, I'm pretty sure I will be attending the program. Good luck to all those on the waitlist.

I'm in a similar position regarding taking the MCAT.

A few questions for you:

Are you at all worried that you might do worse on the MCAT than your current score? Considering that RFU grants interviews to successful BMS candidates, are you worried about how the school will look at your score if it drops?
Do you want to go to a different school and is that why you are retaking the MCAT?

I was accepted through email today!!! No waitlist.

Anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm already on the waiting list at Woodlands. PM me if interested please!

I was accepted through email today!!! No waitlist.

Anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm already on the waiting list at Woodlands. PM me if interested please!

can i ask you for what your stats were? Also - anyone else with stats that got in?

How long after having your app completed did you guys find out?

A few questions for you:

Are you at all worried that you might do worse on the MCAT than your current score? Considering that RFU grants interviews to successful BMS candidates, are you worried about how the school will look at your score if it drops?
Do you want to go to a different school and is that why you are retaking the MCAT?
i dont think RFU even looks at the MCAT of BMS students. So, although they know that you will retake it and maybe glance at it, from what I've heard in the past, if you do well in their program then you have a seat in the following class...I am in the same boat. Taking the MCAT june 20th. its a win win situation i think. I probably want to go elsewhere for medical school (if i can get in) but i would absolutely go to cms if its my only option

Accepted, 05-07-2013. Never received an e-mail telling me my application was complete, but I assume I was complete at the end of April. 90% sure I will be attending.

Stats: 3.15, 31M.

can i ask you for what your stats were? Also - anyone else with stats that got in?
3.52, 26 MCAT. LOTS of clinical extracurriculars and research. Just couldn't beat the MCAT beast.

I should have been complete around mid-April but they didn't realize that all my info was actually in until May 1st. They gave my app to reviewers that day and I got my acceptance email May 7th.

DEFINITELY email them to ask if it's confirmed if you haven't already.

got accepted 5/7 as well! Just put on waitlist for woodlands and student housing...anybody interested in 2bd 2bth in woodlands (male plz)

so any former bmsers/current med students, did they change the pass/fail curriculum to 1st year only or is it first 2 years?

A few questions for you:

This is my first time taking the MCAT. I applied with GRE scores (~90th percentile quantitative and verbal reasoning, 50th percentile writing) and was somehow accepted. I guess they have a lot of faith in my performance on the MCAT in two weeks! Haha.

I'm a current BMSer who recently got into CMS. I'd like to provide some support to next year's group! I know I was on this forum religiously while applying. I applied to BMS really late, which is probably why they waitlisted me around July, and I got accepted into the program DURING orientation. ha! Give them updates when appropriate and show interest if you're on the waitlist. I know of four other people who got in during orientation or right before. The waitlist moves a lot so don't lose hope.

During BMS year it's really stressful, but it's such an amazing program. It was great to know that if you did the work, you could actually get into med school. :) What they say is true: As are best, all Bs will pretty much get you in, don't get any Cs. And they track percentages! So don't settle for that low B once you know you're going to get a B in a class. If you have all high Bs, they let those in before all low Bs. Once you're in the program, your undergrad GPA/MCAT don't matter. It feels great to have a clean slate. Lastly, BMSers aren't competing against each other. If you all get the grades, they'll probably let you all in. My classmates this year have been so supportive of each other. You'll need that support considering how stressful it all is, so no need to feel competitive. This program is SUCH great opportunity; I feel very lucky to have been in it. Good luck!

Also, housing! Student housing and Woodlands basically cost the same. Student housing costs more per month, but the lease is only for the school year. I think their utilities are included or pretty cheap. Woodlands rent is cheaper, but is a year lease. You can try finding a subletter over the summer (I did, thankfully), but it's pretty difficult. Utilities are expensive, $80-100/mo. There are a lot of BMSers in both.

And really, try to get ALL your secondaries in before the program starts! You will get behind if you write those essays instead of studying.

Last edited:
This is my first time taking the MCAT. I applied with GRE scores (~90th percentile quantitative and verbal reasoning, 50th percentile writing) and was somehow accepted. I guess they have a lot of faith in my performance on the MCAT in two weeks! Haha.
considering theyve accepted people with MCATs in the low to mid 20s (based on previous years threads) i think you should be fine! haha

I'm a current BMSer who recently got into CMS. I'd like to provide some support to next year's group! I know I was on this forum religiously while applying. I applied to BMS really late, which is probably why they waitlisted me around July, and I got accepted into the program DURING orientation. ha! Give them updates when appropriate and show interest if you're on the waitlist. I know of four other people who got in during orientation or right before. The waitlist moves a lot so don't lose hope.

During BMS year it's really stressful, but it's such an amazing program. It was great to know that if you did the work, you could actually get into med school. :) What they say is true: As are best, all Bs will pretty much get you in, don't get any Cs. And they track percentages! So don't settle for that low B once you know you're going to get a B in a class. If you have all high Bs, they let those in before all low Bs. Once you're in the program, your undergrad GPA/MCAT don't matter. It feels great to have a clean slate. Lastly, BMSers aren't competing against each other. If you all get the grades, they'll probably let you all in. My classmates this year have been so supportive of each other. You'll need that support considering how stressful it all is, so no need to feel competitive. This program is SUCH great opportunity; I feel very lucky to have been in it. Good luck!

Also, housing! Student housing and Woodlands basically cost the same. Student housing costs more per month, but the lease is only for the school year. I think their utilities are included or pretty cheap. Woodlands rent is cheaper, but is a year lease. You can try finding a subletter over the summer (I did, thankfully), but it's pretty difficult. Utilities are expensive, $80-100/mo. There are a lot of BMSers in both.

And really, try to get ALL your secondaries in before the program starts! You will get behind if you write those essays instead of studying.

Thanks for all the info, really helpful and nice to know that straight B's will essentially get you in. Do you have an updated count on how many BMSers were accepted yet?

Thanks for all the info, really helpful and nice to know that straight B's will essentially get you in. Do you have an updated count on how many BMSers were accepted yet?

This is just hearsay, but ~35-40 BMS kids have gotten in to CMS thus far.

This seems kind of low compared to previous years no?

it's still early. BMS students are in finals week right now so admissions probably wants to wait on some of the students' grades. I'm going to guess more get in later in June or July when the waitlist moves as people with acceptances to other schools pick another school over CMS, etc

it's still early. BMS students are in finals week right now so admissions probably wants to wait on some of the students' grades. I'm going to guess more get in later in June or July when the waitlist moves as people with acceptances to other schools pick another school over CMS, etc

Thanks for clarifying that there are more rounds of acceptances coming. I was under the impression that most people who are going to get accepted have already gotten accepted.

Thanks for clarifying that there are more rounds of acceptances coming. I was under the impression that most people who are going to get accepted have already gotten accepted.

Oh, sorry. I should have clarified. What Lakersinsix said is correct, there will be more acceptances after our final exams this Friday.

I'm freaking out a little bit in terms of housing. Maybe one of the current students could chime in :)

For those who applied/were accepted after the housing priority deadline, it seems that student housing is already full. I'm on the waitlist there. Although I haven't called Woodlands yet, it also seems like they have a waitlist going too. I realize that we're at least a couple of months away from starting, but with both of the most popular options full, what other apartment complexes do students choose? I've heard suggestions of The Landings, but it seems a bit further off from campus, something that I'm weary about in case there's ever a big snow.

Does a lot of housing open up in the upcoming months? I'm finding it difficult to believe that it does seeing that graduation is very near and most people have probably already given their 30 days notice by now.

Where do people who apply and are accepted to RFU-BMS later end up living??

I'm freaking out a little bit in terms of housing. Maybe one of the current students could chime in :)

For those who applied/were accepted after the housing priority deadline, it seems that student housing is already full. I'm on the waitlist there. Although I haven't called Woodlands yet, it also seems like they have a waitlist going too. I realize that we're at least a couple of months away from starting, but with both of the most popular options full, what other apartment complexes do students choose? I've heard suggestions of The Landings, but it seems a bit further off from campus, something that I'm weary about in case there's ever a big snow.

Does a lot of housing open up in the upcoming months? I'm finding it difficult to believe that it does seeing that graduation is very near and most people have probably already given their 30 days notice by now.

I will be an upcoming BMSer and got my student housing last month. I know that the waiting lists for student housing and Woodlands move relatively fast. You should be getting something within the next couple of weeks. There are also navy housing options: https://cnic.navy.mil/GreatLakes/FleetAndFamilyReadiness/HousingAndLodging/ that are pretty close to RFU as well. Don't worry, I'm pretty positive that more spots will open for the waiting lists at student housing and Woodlands.

For those renting or living on campus, are you buying furniture, or do you know if you can rent moderately priced furniture for the year?

I think student housing waitlist moves pretty quick as the contracts are not over yet (the end of May, I think). There's a whole row of apartments on Waukegan Road: Landings, Forest Pointe, Deer Valley. Nice apartments but still a 5-10 minute drive to school. Casual snow is not a problem since they are great with the plows up here. But it will be nice to be able to walk to school!

I have a 3.42 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, a 28 MCAT, a fair amount of extracurricular experience and was put on the waitlist earlier this month. Needless to say I'm a little on edge right now. This sounds like a great program and I'd love to get accepted. Does anyone know if they started going through the list right now or do they not even look at it until the summer starts? Could someone please help me out here? Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?

I have a 3.42 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, a 28 MCAT, a fair amount of extracurricular experience and was put on the waitlist earlier this month. Needless to say I'm a little on edge right now. This sounds like a great program and I'd love to get accepted. Does anyone know if they started going through the list right now or do they not even look at it until the summer starts? Could someone please help me out here? Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?

From my discussion with the admission advisor when they sent out my decision, they really don't look at the alternate list until summer after the deadline for apps pass. I don't think anyone has been taken off the alternate list yet, but not entirely sure. Hopefully we will start to see some initial movement in 2 weeks and then more as orientation approaches. The only thing those of us on the alternate list can do is seem to wait and cross our fingers..

Just got ACCEPTED!!! And I was a late applicant- everything was officially submitted and received May 13th!

Good luck to everyone!! :D

Just got ACCEPTED!!! And I was a late applicant- everything was officially submitted and received May 13th!

Good luck to everyone!! :D

Did you get accepted through email or snail mail?

Did you get accepted through email or snail mail?

I actually called because I was getting nervous since I applied so late! The lady was really friendly and she put me on hold for like 10 minutes, and then she came back and said she had good news and that I was accepted!!

Good luck- hope its good news for you too!!

I actually called because I was getting nervous since I applied so late! The lady was really friendly and she put me on hold for like 10 minutes, and then she came back and said she had good news and that I was accepted!!

Good luck- hope its good news for you too!!

Could you post the number that you called? Thanks! =]

Called in and found out that I got accepted!!! I'm looking for housing too! If anyone needs a roommate, please message me!! =]

Hello future BMSers,

If any of you are interested in living in the Woodlands apartments please PM me. My roommate and I are now M2s (former BMS) and will be moving to the city at the end of June for rotations. Our apartment is available to rent starting July 1. Woodlands leases usually start in August so if you want to move in earlier we have a great place for that! We live in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom unit in building 6. The apartment is in great shape and very clean. Rent is $1372 (you can cover 1/2 if it's just you are full if with a roommate). Message me if you are interested! Thanks!

I've been lurking in here since last month but never posted anything until now. I just called in today to find out I'm accepted as well!!

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted and see you all in this August!

To those who have been put on a wait list: Hang in there just a little longer, since I've heard that the wait list will start moving soon!

P.S. Have you guys decided where to live and when to move in?