Rosalind Franklin BMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I just got my "conditional" acceptance today!

cGPA - 3.14
sGPA - 3.01
MCAT - 504

Stats are nothing spectacular, but my research and other EC's really helped me, along with a MIGHTY upward trend. Basically all I have to do is take 5 workshops with online activities during the first quarter, and I'm done. I wanted to ask if anyone else here are accepted conditionally. If previous students could share their input on this, that would be great!

I was also conditionally accepted with basically the same stats. My MCAT is extremely unbalanced and my trends were all over the place, so I'm assuming that's what my problem was.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Apparently I selected "Health Professions Education". Totally don't remember there being options there.
If you want to switch at all, I believe you can contact the admissions office and let them know that you didn't realize you had selected a track when you applied. Unless you wanted Education anyway, of course!

No links that I can find, but it is explained in my email as follows:

"This condition will be lifted at the end of the first quarter, as long as you fully participate in all the workshops and maintain passing grades in all of your Fall courses. There are a series of 5 sessions with accompanying online activities. You must participate in all 5 and do the online activities in order to be in compliance."

The workshops are called "Study Strategies for Academic Success". Oh joy.

But hey I'm not going to complain, I'm super fortunate to have this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that were accepted, I posted this in the Facebook group as well but wanted to make sure everyone had access just in case:

Okay, so here's the scoop: I called both RFU and AMCAS and I think I have it figured out now.
I listed Rosalind Franklin in the 'Schools Attended' section of AMCAS with the future date range. I listed it as a grad program with a major in Biomedical Sciences, left the minor section blank. Then, when it asks about whether or not a transcript is required, select 'No' with the reasoning being 'Current/Future Coursework'. Then I inputted all of the classes as Current/Future classes. When it came to the track section courses, I listed the courses as Course Number: HHCM (I chose Healthcare Administration) and because Course Name was listed as TBD on RFU's website, I typed in 'TBD (Healthcare Administration Curriculum)' as I wanted schools to still know which track I chose. For the other tracks, I believe if you wanted the track to be listed, you could enter the Course ID and Course Name the same way and just add in parentheses the track curriculum you've chosen.
If you then go back to the main menu and open the 'Transcript and Letter Receipt Information' section, it should list a transcript for RFU as 'Not Required'. The AMCAS Instruction Manual states that requests are not automatically granted and have to be approved, so I wasn't sure how we would know if the request was approved or not, but AMCAS said that since it's all future coursework, it will be approved and there's nothing else we need to do beyond these steps.
If you guys have any more questions or I missed something, let me know, and I'll see if I can clear it up for you.

What did you put for "course type" for the Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare class as well as the track section courses?

FYI so far the number of acceptances from BMS class 2015-2016 is 64, not considering possible wait-list acceptances later on.

Reactions: 1 users
What did you put for "course type" for the Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare class as well as the track section courses?

Here's what I listed. Because they're all future courses, if they're wrong, it's okay and won't have an impact on our applications. I tried to match them as closely as possible though.

ImageUploadedBySDN1466203633.291972.jpg

Hey I got into the program with a 500 mcat and close to a 3.5 gpa. I heard that this program is good for people who have low gpa's and high mcats get in but was wondering what about the reverse...an Okish gpa and low mcat? The reason I am wondering this is I spoke with the advisor and mentioned only applying to this school and they strongly emphasized I apply to DO schools as well, so i'm not sure if the advisor was just saying that to be safe or if that was meant as a strong indicator that mcat scores are important to this program and I have better chances elsewhere?

Last edited:
Hey I got into the program with a 500 mcat and close to a 3.5 gpa. I heard that this program is good for people who have low gpa's and high mcats get in but was wondering what about the reverse...an Okish gpa and low mcat? The reason I am wondering this is I spoke with the advisor and mentioned only applying to this school and they strongly emphasized I apply to DO schools as well, so i'm not sure if the advisor was just saying that to be safe or if that was meant as a strong indicator that mcat scores are important to this program and I have better chances elsewhere?

I know people with decent GPA and low MCAT that got in. Of course they will tell you to apply widely because admission to CMS is not guaranteed, and it would be risky to put all your eggs in one basket. Is there a reason why you won't consider applying to some DO schools as backup?

I know people with decent GPA and low MCAT that got in. Of course they will tell you to apply widely because admission to CMS is not guaranteed, and it would be risky to put all your eggs in one basket. Is there a reason why you won't consider applying to some DO schools as backup?
The only reason is I just don't think I have a shot at all with them with that mcat score. I am retaking the mcat before I start BMS so if I can raise it, ill definitely apply DO as well.

Last edited:
FYI so far the number of acceptances from BMS class 2015-2016 is 64, not considering possible wait-list acceptances later on.
Was this information from the email that the director of the program was supposed to send out?

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this information from the email that the director of the program was supposed to send out?

Thanks for keeping us updated!

I got the number from a mass M1A email sent out by the Physio department. I would expect the director's email to be send out once all the acceptances are finalized. There are still people on wait-list yet to be decided.

I got the number from a mass M1A email sent out by the Physio department. I would expect the director's email to be send out once all the acceptances are finalized. There are still people on wait-list yet to be decided.

I haven't even turned my application in yet because I was waiting on my Spring grades to be posted :( Really hope it's not too late!

I haven't even turned my application in yet because I was waiting on my Spring grades to be posted :( Really hope it's not too late!

This was talking about BMS>CMS acceptances. But I'd get your BMS application turned in ASAP if you haven't already, it still takes RFUCAS a bit to verify everything before RFU can begin to review your application.

If someone does well (3.8-4.0) in the program but has a low mcat and low uGPA, is it still unlikely that they would matriculate to CMS the following year? Is the playing field even once accepted into the BMS program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This was talking about BMS>CMS acceptances. But I'd get your BMS application turned in ASAP if you haven't already, it still takes RFUCAS a bit to verify everything before RFU can begin to review your application.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know how long they usually take to verify?

If someone does well (3.8-4.0) in the program but has a low mcat and low uGPA, is it still unlikely that they would matriculate to CMS the following year? Is the playing field even once accepted into the BMS program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you're stats are good enough to get you to BMS, they should be good enough for CMS assuming you do well in the BMS program. That fact only applies to grades and MCAT score. You do have to see where you stand with extracurricular activities and make sure they make you competitive for medical school. And of course, BMS only guarantees you interview, so make sure you do well in the interview.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know how long they usually take to verify?
I want to say mine only took a day or two from the time I submitted it to RFUCAS for it to be marked as complete and then took 9 days to hear back from the admissions team at RFU on my acceptance. I remember the RFUCAS turnaround being quick on mine. But I already had all of my transcripts and letters received on their end before I submitted my application too. So it depends on how quickly you get all of those things done. If your supplemental materials are in, I wouldn't think it'd take too long to get through the RFUCAS verification. But I'd still submit NOW to make sure your application is verified and back to RFU by the deadline. I don't know if it's entirely necessary to have everything verified by the deadline but I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to participate in the program over that discrepancy so I'd just get it in as quickly as possible since you're cutting it close on time. If you need any help, let me know and I'll be happy to answer any questions or assist you as much as I can to get it done!

I want to say mine only took a day or two from the time I submitted it to RFUCAS for it to be marked as complete and then took 9 days to hear back from the admissions team at RFU on my acceptance. I remember the RFUCAS turnaround being quick on mine. But I already had all of my transcripts and letters received on their end before I submitted my application too. So it depends on how quickly you get all of those things done. If your supplemental materials are in, I wouldn't think it'd take too long to get through the RFUCAS verification. But I'd still submit NOW to make sure your application is verified and back to RFU by the deadline. I don't know if it's entirely necessary to have everything verified by the deadline but I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to participate in the program over that discrepancy so I'd just get it in as quickly as possible since you're cutting it close on time. If you need any help, let me know and I'll be happy to answer any questions or assist you as much as I can to get it done!

Thank you! This is really helpful :)

They have received all of my transcripts and my recommendations on their end, so I'm hoping it is similar to your case and that verification won't take too long. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is that I had sent them transcripts saying that my Biochem class and lab was in progress, but on the actual application I ended up inputing the final grades. I'm wondering if they would need an updated transcript to confirm the grades or if just having the IP there would suffice. Regardless, I will definitely be submitting my application at latest Sunday night. I actually got a call from RFUMS about how my application was going today and they said that as long as it is submitted before the 30th, I'd be good even if it took a bit longer to verify. Also just need to email them indicating that my Chem, Bio and Physics classes had the lab aspect included in the class even though it's not explicitly mentioned on the transcript.

I couldn't submit my app earlier because I was waiting on my mcat and a few of my course grades to be submitted, but I've been looking forward to this program for the entire year now and I just really hope that I get in :( Congratulation on your acceptance though, wishing you the best!

Thank you! This is really helpful :)

They have received all of my transcripts and my recommendations on their end, so I'm hoping it is similar to your case and that verification won't take too long. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is that I had sent them transcripts saying that my Biochem class and lab was in progress, but on the actual application I ended up inputing the final grades. I'm wondering if they would need an updated transcript to confirm the grades or if just having the IP there would suffice. Regardless, I will definitely be submitting my application at latest Sunday night. I actually got a call from RFUMS about how my application was going today and they said that as long as it is submitted before the 30th, I'd be good even if it took a bit longer to verify. Also just need to email them indicating that my Chem, Bio and Physics classes had the lab aspect included in the class even though it's not explicitly mentioned on the transcript.

I couldn't submit my app earlier because I was waiting on my mcat and a few of my course grades to be submitted, but I've been looking forward to this program for the entire year now and I just really hope that I get in :( Congratulation on your acceptance though, wishing you the best!

I would just leave the grades out for the classes that were in progress when you sent your transcripts. Regardless of your grade, two classes after all of college won't impact your GPA enough to make a huge difference and it's probably better to have everything the same for them to verify so nothing gets sent back to you.

You could also call them and see what they say about including those. Maybe they'll be okay with it but I'd verify with them or leave them out if you haven't. I'm still taking biochem right now so I submitted mine with it in progress and it was fine.

And thank you! Good luck on your application! Hope to have you as a classmate in August!

Hi All,

I recently visited RFU, and have had a chance to talk with three current or former BMS students here on PM's. I've been encouraged to post my questions and the answers in the hope that others might benefit as well, so hope this might be helpful. My sincere thanks to all the people who took time to chat with me on PM's - I'm hoping this post pays that forward in some small way!

I've been accepted to the upcoming 2016-17 BMS class.
Can you tell me the exam question and course format?
For exams, is it mostly multiple choice as in med school, or are there some essay questions?
For class format, are there term papers?

*The exams are all multiple choices. You take the same medical classes in the same lecture hall as M1 students and you take the same exams on the same days as med students. BMSers are M1 lite.

*The courses that you take with the medical students all have multiple choice exams and you take the same exams as medical students. The track courses are online and they have variety. For the most part they have assignments and presentations and week discussion posts. Almost all students exclusively get A's in the track courses.

*For all of the M1 classes the grades are almost exclusively based on the exams, with a few participation points for small group stuff. The track classes have some papers and presentations, but those classes are ridiculously easy so no reason to be concerned there. Every exam was multiple choice and with the same format as the med school.

So do BMS students get individual advisers? Obviously the adviser has many students they advise, but it's nice to have one sort of go-to person.

*You will have an advisor assigned to you.

How did you guys take exams? Paper? Online?
I've heard about schools moving to having people take exams on iPads and things like that.
And, did you actually sit with the med students for exams?

*You will need to bring a laptop and install examsoft on it, which you will be taking your exam on. So it would be online. Sometimes you sit with the med students, or in a room next door. You will be taking the same exam at the same time. Your test will usually be shorter b/c you have less subject matters.

*We take out exams on a software called examsoft. It can be downloaded on Apple and Microsoft computers and tablets. If student's computer wasn't working, they lend you one. We sometimes sit with medical students. Because Medical students take longer exams, our rooms are separated. That way when BMS students leave, it doesn't disturb medical students.

*All the exams were online, but proctored. They would basically have us all sit in one room and use a program that totally locks down your laptop/tablet so you can't cheat. You could only get a paper copy if you have computer issues during the exam. They split us into two rooms for the tests so technically we would take the exams in the same room as the M1As not the M1s.

Is there a note co-op for lecture notes?
How about old exams for study practice?

*I'm not sure for co-op is. the school does provide us with pat 3 years of exams for most courses.

*People share notes on the Facebook page quite frequently, but aside from that no. All of the M1 courses will give you the last 3 exams and the M1As generally distribute even older tests. TIPS doesn't have old tests to practice from which is annoying, but it's the only class where that's a problem.

A few additional pieces of info:

The one year BMS program is broken up into three quarters about 10 weeks long each with a week between.

*Classes taught to both CMS and BMS students are co-directed by a clinician and a basic scientist.

* There are great resources for study skills and student support; they encourage you to contact these people right away.

*The exact class schedule is still pending.

*As of last week, they are still reviewing apps.

*The campus is superb! I attended a large researched-based university, and RFU has the same look and feel, though smaller. Everything appears very up to date. We took a guided, two hour tour. We were expecting to only spend 30-45 minutes and ask a few questions, but our guide (one of the senior faculty!) spent a leisurely 2+ hours with us, introducing us to various department heads, faculty, and students along the way. All our questions were answered thoroughly, and we got a great history lesson on CMS and RFU.

Current and former BMS students here are the ones to listen to, but hopefully I've covered a few of the questions new incoming students might have.

Best wishes to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone that's been accepted! Has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist yet?? The wait is killing me!

Ok, so dumb question.

I don't use Facebook and just reactivated my page after a long stretch without so that I can see the RFU and BMS pages. I did a search of Facebook, but not being really skilled with this, could not find a BMS page.

Can anyone tell me the link for the 2016-2017 BMS class?

Thank you for all your help - especially my new PM buddies, who must be sick of me by now, LOL!

Is it too late to apply? Sorry, I've been distracted lately and couldn't submit my app...just fought a battle at Winterfell :/

When were you marked complete? I am still waiting to hear back :/

I've been on the waitlist forever it feels like. I was marked as complete on Jan 30th. The wait was awful. When did you guys submit your apps??

I've been on the waitlist forever it feels like. I was marked as complete on Jan 30th. The wait was awful. When did you guys submit your apps??

Congratulations on your acceptance!! That's such a long wait, but I'm very happy that it worked out for you :)

I turned mine in 1-2 days before the deadline so I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the wait! I've heard of people getting in up until two weeks before classes start :/ Hopefully that's not the case, but I'm really dreading the wait!

Congratulations!
Do you mind sharing what your cGPA, sGPA and mcat scores were?

Hey all...newly minted M1 here. Glad I can be assistance to you at this amazing, one of a kind program

Reactions: 1 users
I'm planning to apply for the 2017-2018 school year.

Do you know when the application opens up? Is it better to apply early?

I'm planning to write my MCAT on january 22nd.

Just got accepted

now.... Toledo or RFU ??

Just got accepted

now.... Toledo or RFU ??

I think you should read the Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 thread(starting from page 3). The 2014-2015 class got majorly shafted( I think it was like 10 students accepted) and 2015-2016 wasn't good either. You should confirm with Toledo whether that's the case and if that's just an anomaly or how things would work from now on. Good luck!

I think you should read the Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 thread(starting from page 3). The 2014-2015 class got majorly shafted( I think it was like 10 students accepted) and 2015-2016 wasn't good either. You should confirm with Toledo whether that's the case and if that's just an anomaly or how things would work from now on. Good luck!
thanks for the suggestions, but yah I've been following that for a while and know about toledo, but their most recent class had a 60% matriculation from smp into UTCOM. So that year might have been an anamoly. Between RFU and Toledo, I just cant make up my mind b/c they both seem so similar :/

Did past BMS students who are now in the med school have time to go on interviews for other schools (DO, other MD) while still performing in the curriculum?

Did past BMS students who are now in the med school have time to go on interviews for other schools (DO, other MD) while still performing in the curriculum?
I did BMS last year and had 1 interview at another school (where I was accepted) and had no problem scheduling it. As long as the school offers a few options you should be able to attend. The part I found the most challenging was finding the time to prep for the interview, but you should be able to do it still.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

For student housing people: since move-in dates are 7-10 days before the first day of orientation, are most of you planning on moving in and hanging out around North Chicago before school starts? I've been away at school all summer so it would be nice to move in and then go back home to spend my last free week with my family. I just don't want to miss out in case there's a lot going on.

For student housing people: since move-in dates are 7-10 days before the first day of orientation, are most of you planning on moving in and hanging out around North Chicago before school starts? I've been away at school all summer so it would be nice to move in and then go back home to spend my last free week with my family. I just don't want to miss out in case there's a lot going on.
I still have to find housing and possible roommates, but i was just thinking of getting in a day or two before orientation starts