Rosalind Franklin or G-Town SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markboonya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
G-town seems like it has the more established program but the linkage is pretty weak. my roomate went last year, got a 3.87, interviewed at gtown but did not get accepted (but drexel came through for him). he said the people who matriculated from smp into gtown were all >3.9. anyone know if this is accurate? input from past smp'ers would be appreciated. are u granted advanced MS1 status if u do matriculate?

i dont want to potentially bust my ass at gtown and have one B ruin my chance at acceptance. RF's AP seems more like a sure bet, but the program isnt as widely recognized and u'll most likely just end up at chicago...which isnt necessarily negative but i dont know how campus life is at RF- does anyone know? oh, and are u actually in class with the med students at RF or is it a video taping like at drexel's IMS program?

seems like u gotta have pretty big balls to choose SMP over AP considering u have to get a 4.0 vs a 3.0 respectively. i know smp is cheaper and will probably open more doors for u at other schools, but its still a risk. anyone out there debating SMP vs AP vs IMS?

Members don't see this ad.

markboonya said:
G-town seems like it has the more established program but the linkage is pretty weak. my roomate went last year, got a 3.87, interviewed at gtown but did not get accepted (but drexel came through for him). he said the people who matriculated from smp into gtown were all >3.9. anyone know if this is accurate? input from past smp'ers would be appreciated. are u granted advanced MS1 status if u do matriculate?

i dont want to potentially bust my ass at gtown and have one B ruin my chance at acceptance. RF's AP seems more like a sure bet, but the program isnt as widely recognized and u'll most likely just end up at chicago...which isnt necessarily negative but i dont know how campus life is at RF- does anyone know? oh, and are u actually in class with the med students at RF or is it a video taping like at drexel's IMS program?

seems like u gotta have pretty big balls to choose SMP over AP considering u have to get a 4.0 vs a 3.0 respectively. i know smp is cheaper and will probably open more doors for u at other schools, but its still a risk. anyone out there debating SMP vs AP vs IMS?

Wow 45 views no responses...well I personally am looking into RF's program more in depth than Georgetown. I really just want to get into any allopathic medical school and also not take a year off. My stats are decent (3.4/30). I will probably apply to other schools while in the program, but I don’t see myself going to Georgetown because it does seem like you do have to get around a 3.75 just to be looked at by other schools, such as the 2 jersey and Drexel medical school. I know I can work hard, but how hard would I have to work @ Georgetown, I don't know. I spoke to many Georgetown alumni and find as if they are working their asses off and they seem as if the program will not help them as much as each student would like it to. I don't need the added pressure of losing 50 grand, no thanks. I would rather just go to Rosalind Franklin and be able to concentrate and study hard knowing that all I have to get is a 3.0 and I am in. Also, knowing that if I do pass and am able to go on the following year at Rosalind Franklin I will have an easy first year (MS1a) is also a plus. I don’t believe the credits transfer over to Georgetown not too sure. So that’s my .02 cents.
Good luck with the decision, but I am most likely going to Rosalind Franklin unless something miraculous happens.

John1983 said:
Wow 45 views no responses...well I personally am looking into RF's program more in depth than Georgetown. I really just want to get into any allopathic medical school and also not take a year off. My stats are decent (3.4/30). I will probably apply to other schools while in the program, but I don’t see myself going to Georgetown because it does seem like you do have to get around a 3.75 just to be looked at by other schools, such as the 2 jersey and Drexel medical school. I know I can work hard, but how hard would I have to work @ Georgetown, I don't know. I spoke to many Georgetown alumni and find as if they are working their asses off and they seem as if the program will not help them as much as each student would like it to. I don't need the added pressure of losing 50 grand, no thanks. I would rather just go to Rosalind Franklin and be able to concentrate and study hard knowing that all I have to get is a 3.0 and I am in. Also, knowing that if I do pass and am able to go on the following year at Rosalind Franklin I will have an easy first year (MS1a) is also a plus. I don’t believe the credits transfer over to Georgetown not too sure. So that’s my .02 cents.
Good luck with the decision, but I am most likely going to Rosalind Franklin unless something miraculous happens.

Well there are several misconceptions that you've listed here:

1. You do not need a 3.75 in the SMP to get into Georgetown med, or any other medical school. Obviously the better you do, the more it will help, but really the magic number seems to be a 3.5. However, many people get into a school with a 3.1 or 3.2 in the SMP. It is a challenging program, and medical schools know this. Getting a 3.0 is like getting a pass in all of the medical school classes, so that still means that you can do the work at a level equivalent to the medical school class.

2. The classes do carry over to Georgetown med the next year. I think you just take gross anatomy, a medical ethics class, and maybe one or two others, and then you can either do research, TA (and get paid) for the other classes or take undergrad classes. I recently learned that GW and Drexel will give you credit for Georgetown's Histology (Microscopic anatomy) class if you end up going there. Drexel might actually give credit for other classes too, but I'm not sure.

3. (to the OP) There are people at Georgetown med now ("ex-physios) who I know had less than a 3.8. They told us that they usually interview about half of the SMP class (which would be about 80 people), which means that people with a 3.4 or over usually get an interview. The SMP interviews are conducted in April, after the regular season is over, and they are blind. Doing better may help some, but once you get to the interview stage, then it's more about who would fit in well at Georgetown and wants to go there.

So, it's NOT just a ranking system where the top 30 students in the class get in, and that's it. Rather you have to do well (3.4ish or better) and then impress your interviewer. However, like I mentioned, students do get in with less than a 3.4 to other medical schools and there are cases where people do well and still don't get in the first year, but by the end 85% do get in. 55%+ get in the first year.

So yes, Rosalind Franklin's AP is more of a guarantee. I chose the SMP over it though, and I guess only time will tell if I made the right decision! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i know this is a post on GUSMP and RFU but you should also consider BU MAMS program. about 33% of the GMS class gets into the medschool (not a bad #, considering the class size usually runs around 150ish). it's been around for a while, so many medschools are familiar with it. i opted to go to bu vs drexel, mainly b/c of this, but i've also heard many good things about drexel. it's whatever rocks your boat, i guess.

John1983 said:
well I personally am looking into RF's program more in depth than Georgetown.

so are u actually in class with the med students for the AP program? Does RF's campus have an undergraduate campus associated with it? I just saw the match list for RF on the allo forum and it does look pretty impressive.

gh said:
about 33% of the GMS class gets into the medschool (not a bad #, considering the class size usually runs around 150ish).

I am guessing that GMS are what the Boston master students are called? what are the advantages of boston and drexel that put them at the top of ur list? it seems like drexel's linkage is similar to gtown's (not too great) and the program isnt as well known and u arent in class with the med students.

I think the AP students at RFU have to sit in a separate room from the other med students, at GT this is not the case. Also a 3.0 and above will likely get you an interview at the CMS after completing the RFU program, but its not guaranteed admission.

I think both are good programs. I ll probably apply to both. GT definitely has more stuff to do in your time off.

I am a current AP student at RFU and we do not have to sit in different classes

NRAI2001 said:
I think the AP students at RFU have to sit in a separate room from the other med students, at GT this is not the case. Also a 3.0 and above will likely get you an interview at the CMS after completing the RFU program, but its not guaranteed admission.

I think both are good programs. I ll probably apply to both. GT definitely has more stuff to do in your time off.

NRAI2001 said:

Somehow my other (RFUMS) CMS brethren are too busy to help so I will. I am currently a 4th yr and a former AP program person.

In the AP program at RFUMS you DO sit in the same room as the med students. Hell if you really want you can sit in between some of them and be graced with their magical bit of knowledge. Seriously though during your AP year you will take Physio, Biochem, Genetics, MCB, and I believe Develop Bio with the M1s. Beyond that while they are doing Anatomy and Intro to clinical Medicine you will take Applied Physiology and some other classes as well. go to http://66.99.255.20/schedule/ you can see what classes the M1s take and the APs. Anything that overlaps is the same class and you DO NOT have to repeat it once you get in.

Also a 3.0 and above will likely get you an interview at the CMS after completing the RFU program, but its not guaranteed admission.
:laugh: Where in gods name do you guys get this stuff? EVERY and I do mean EVERY person who is in the AP program gets an interview. Here is the kicker you dont even need to have applied to get the interview. You DO need to apply to get in though.. As far as what a 3.0 gets you.. It DOES get you into med school over the past 5 or so yrs. NOT a SINGLE individual who achieved this 3.0 was denied admission. Some people do go elsewhere but most stay. They USED to guarantee it but some dude had the personality of sandpaper so they rejected him and got into some trouble over that. THEREFORE, they NO LONGER provide verbal or written guarantees but they still practice this. As far as GTown, the program does have some benefits (I didnt apply) but you are in the middle of a city and the school has a better rep. If you have more Qs PM me, but I am quite busy with the whole residency app process I should get back to you in 1 week or so.

markboonya said:
so are u actually in class with the med students for the AP program? Does RF's campus have an undergraduate campus associated with it? I just saw the match list for RF on the allo forum and it does look pretty impressive.

No undergrad there. But we do have some hot PAs running around campus, also there is the Podiatry school there.

EctopicFetus said:
No undergrad there. But we do have some hot PAs running around campus, also there is the Podiatry school there.

Nursing school?

No nursing school. Podiatry, PAs, PTs, MDs, and PhDs.

about georgetown smp - you DEFINITELY DO NOT need a 3.9 to get into georgetown med. i think about 60 or so physios were interviewed last year and they ended up taking around 30 or so (i think that was more than previous years). i was a physio last year and i certainly know people who got into gu med with a lot less than 3.9 or 3.8. in our class, i think people with 3.4 and up (after physiology final grades) ended up getting interviews at gu med. although selection for interviews is highly based on smp gpa, that all changes post-interview. they specifically told us that gu med has rejected people who've finished the smp with a 4.0.

not many people finished with 3.9+, probably only a handful at most. i know a lot of people who finished around the 3.3 mark, and that's certainly good, considering we're taking med school courses. a 3.5 after the first year or especially after finishing the program will put you in a very good position for getting into medical schools. anyway, i'm available to answer questions about georgetown's program, as always. good luck, guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:
Somehow my other (RFUMS) CMS brethren are too busy to help so I will. I am currently a 4th yr and a former AP program person.

I know the smp'ers are a very close-knit group from my roomate who went there. they studied together and partied together and were pretty cohesive as a whole. was your experience similar when u were an AP student?

what did u do during your MS1A year? do most MS1A students research? volunteer? find a job? study for boards? i would love to TA but there is no undergraduate programs there so i guess thats out of the question. i am guessing you arent allowed to take some MS2 courses?

medstylee said:
not many people finished with 3.9+, probably only a handful at most. i know a lot of people who finished around the 3.3 mark, and that's certainly good, considering we're taking med school courses. a 3.5 after the first year or especially after finishing the program will put you in a very good position for getting into medical schools. anyway, i'm available to answer questions about georgetown's program, as always. good luck, guys.

I am guessing gtown isnt pass/fail but A,B,C,D,F? or is there a non-letter grade way to calculate gpa? same question for RFU.

and thanks everyone btw for all your detailed answers.

G-town SMP is A, B, C, F. The medical school has the H (top 10), HP (next 20), P (down to two standard divations below the mean), F. SMP grades are not calcualted into the curve (ie you arent competing against your fellow SMPers for grades). An A coresponds to an H, A-/B+ split the HP range and P=B until you get really close to the bottom where B-/C are. The graduate classes have a much more generous (and usually static) curve.

I hardly post now here that often since I started SMP, but I can say for sure that the program is REALLY difficult. Not that the material is difficult, but it is really intense the way people say it is famous for. While the program people says you have to study at least 5 hours a day, I don't think it's accurate. It might help you pass the courses, but if you want to earn the high GPAs you need, you have to study 10 hours at least on average a day.

About last year, yeah, last year they took 30 people, but I hear that to get an interview, you have to have 3.50 GPA for the program (SMP people gets separate interview slots than regular applicants). But the good news is that people who try hard in GU are supposed to get into at least one medical school somewhere, though maybe not necessarily where you want to end up in...

What undergrad GPA and MCAT score do you need to get into the RFU SMP?

Touchdown said:
SMP grades are not calcualted into the curve (ie you arent competing against your fellow SMPers for grades).

Thank fricking god. all those driven smp'ers useing their second chance to the fullest would be a damn scary sight if they were competing against one another. no wonder everyone is helpful and cooperative with each other.

gusmp06 said:
I hardly post now here that often since I started SMP, but I can say for sure that the program is REALLY difficult. Not that the material is difficult, but it is really intense the way people say it is famous for. While the program people says you have to study at least 5 hours a day, I don't think it's accurate. It might help you pass the courses, but if you want to earn the high GPAs you need, you have to study 10 hours at least on average a day.

About last year, yeah, last year they took 30 people, but I hear that to get an interview, you have to have 3.50 GPA for the program (SMP people gets separate interview slots than regular applicants). But the good news is that people who try hard in GU are supposed to get into at least one medical school somewhere, though maybe not necessarily where you want to end up in...

some people who interviewed at georgetown med last year had below 3.5. that's just what they tell you to shoot for. also, the 10 hours a day is way too much studying - you'll be burnt out before you even get to physiology (and, believe me, first semester is a breeze compared to second semester). the key is learning how to study the best way - it takes time. once you figure it out, i'll bet 5 hours a day will be more than enough. good luck.

Does anyone know when you can first start applying to the Gtown and RFU smp?

diggler33420 said:
Does anyone know when you can first start applying to the Gtown and RFU smp?

I believe you start applying in january. Yea could some people go over the stats again? My friend was kinda wondering if he had a chance also and the search function is disabled so...
if you can just write what program you went or are going to and what your stats were...
gpa/science gpa/mcat

Thanks

John1983 said:
I believe you start applying in january. Yea could some people go over the stats again? My friend was kinda wondering if he had a chance also and the search function is disabled so...
if you can just write what program you went or are going to and what your stats were...
gpa/science gpa/mcat

Thanks

John, it would probably be simpler for your friend (or you, in his stead) to post his stats and we can tell you how he looks.

Or, conversely, you can go to the physio yahoo page. Dr. Myers, the program director, would be happy to answer those types of questions about the G-town SMP.

The link is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios/

is there a list of schools of which students ended up attending after finishing the program?

did the gtown smp last year, am in gtown med now. you need about a 3.5 to get a interview - I can corroborate the 60 interview invites tho. that 3.5 gets you nothing more than an interview. people who got in had around a 3.75 and up. acceptances went almost exclusively by grades. if you had over that and didn't get in, it's prolly cuz you made some enormous mistakes at the interview. i didn't do to hot in my interview, but still got in. there were a couple people with lower grades, but maybe they made a contribution to the school or sucked up appropriately. only a about 8-10 people had a 3.9+ by the end of the year (some kid i know made a spreadsheet of everyone's grades). if you pick gtown smp and you wanna go to gtown med, you should be absolutely certain that you underachieved in undergrad. it's a great program otherwise, and you gotta like the area over north chicago. gtown def has more upside, but it's a big risk. chicago med is a very underrated med school tho, i really liked it when i interviewed there. that being said, I am very, very happy that I chose gtown.

I would go with RFU hands down. It is definitely more of a sure thing. Why take a chance?

USArmyDoc said:
I would go with RFU hands down. It is definitely more of a sure thing. Why take a chance?

how big is RFU's class anyway for the postbac program, and is it hard to get in?

The class is around 85, it has gotten more competetive but I dont know hard numbers. That being said if you are mildly competetive for med school you should be able to get in.

EctopicFetus said:
The class is around 85, it has gotten more competetive but I dont know hard numbers. That being said if you are mildly competetive for med school you should be able to get in.

i mean also, what about MCATs?

I have a 27 on my MCATs and I don't want to retake it.

If I get into RFU for postbac, do I really have to reatake MCAT since it is essentially guaranteed that I will get into their med school ??

theunderdog said:
i mean also, what about MCATs?

I have a 27 on my MCATs and I don't want to retake it.

If I get into RFU for postbac, do I really have to reatake MCAT since it is essentially guaranteed that I will get into their med school ??

i would just go with the numbers from gtown smp, since the people who go there are on the same boat as the students at RFU's AP. I think the mcat average for matriculated smp students is 28.5. of course the higher your gpa, the lower your mcat can be. i say if u have above a 3.5, u should be ok with your 27... i am guessing.

markboonya said:
i would just go with the numbers from gtown smp, since the people who go there are on the same boat as the students at RFU's AP. I think the mcat average for matriculated smp students is 28.5. of course the higher your gpa, the lower your mcat can be. i say if u have above a 3.5, u should be ok with your 27... i am guessing.

The average GPA and MCAT for this year's SMP class is a 3.3 and a 30. However, like you said, people might have a higher MCAT and lower GPA or vice versa. This is just the average. I'm not sure what the averages are for the AP.

out of the 80 people in the AP porgram, does anyone know the breakdown of people who get a 3.0 and those that end up matriculating into RFU? just interested in how many ppl end up doing MS1 elsewhere. how big is their the MS1 incoming class anyways? it seems that a lot of MS1 spots would be filled by the AP students.

and it seems that everyone on the forums (especially me) tosses around the 3.0 like its automatic. how hard is it to maintain the 3.0 anyways?

markboonya said:
out of the 80 people in the AP porgram, does anyone know the breakdown of people who get a 3.0 and those that end up matriculating into RFU? just interested in how many ppl end up doing MS1 elsewhere. how big is their the MS1 incoming class anyways? it seems that a lot of MS1 spots would be filled by the AP students.

and it seems that everyone on the forums (especially me) tosses around the 3.0 like its automatic. how hard is it to maintain the 3.0 anyways?

Out of the 85 some people drop out early due to late acceptances to MD school or DO school. Then I would estimate that another 5-7 drop out after the 1st qtr cause they either couldnt hack it or didnt realize how much work was involed. So we will start with 75 or so. Out of that 75 I would estimate 50-55 got in, out of those about 7-10 got into other places, then about half of them actually left. The incoming class is about 180 at RFUMS.

The 3.0 isnt automatic and if you show up thinking that you will get your but handed to you. It is EXTREMELY doable but if you were so smart wouldnt you have gotten into a med school to start with? You need to show up and work. I would say 80% of people in the AP are either non-trad students or people who enjoyed themselves a little too much in college these people are the ones who make up the majority of those that get in. The other people who are tools usually cant hack it cause you assume they were tools in college and couldnt hack it there. Sorry for being so blunt about this.. Hope this answers your Qs.

EctopicFetus said:
Out of the 85 some people drop out early due to late acceptances to MD school or DO school. Then I would estimate that another 5-7 drop out after the 1st qtr cause they either couldnt hack it or didnt realize how much work was involed. So we will start with 75 or so. Out of that 75 I would estimate 50-55 got in, out of those about 7-10 got into other places, then about half of them actually left. The incoming class is about 180 at RFUMS.

The 3.0 isnt automatic and if you show up thinking that you will get your but handed to you. It is EXTREMELY doable but if you were so smart wouldnt you have gotten into a med school to start with? You need to show up and work. I would say 80% of people in the AP are either non-trad students or people who enjoyed themselves a little too much in college these people are the ones who make up the majority of those that get in. The other people who are tools usually cant hack it cause you assume they were tools in college and couldnt hack it there. Sorry for being so blunt about this.. Hope this answers your Qs.

Ectopic, you are the man! :laugh:

EctopicFetus said:

Great info.
:thumbup:

EctopicFetus said:

:thumbup:

<---Takes a bow for cutting out the BS and telling it how it is..

As always people any specific Qs PM me...Just dealing with a little post EtOH syndrome s/p Step 2 CK.. (9 freaking hours people.., but the beer tasted extra good!!)

sunnyjohn said:
What undergrad GPA and MCAT score do you need to get into the RFU SMP?

The lowest GPA that I know of was about a 2.8 with an engineering major. I forget what his MCAT was, but I'm sure it was in the 30's.

markboonya said:

Last year, everyone who finished with a GPA higher than a 3.0 was offered a position into the school. I believe their class started with just under 100 people and I think about 60-70 or so completed the program with a 3.0 or better. Our class (fellow AP, right?) should work out to be about the same.

Sorry I am an MS4.. but i did roll through the AP.. yeah historically 2/3s make it..

richc said:
The lowest GPA that I know of was about a 2.8 with an engineering major. I forget what his MCAT was, but I'm sure it was in the 30's.

Last year, everyone who finished with a GPA higher than a 3.0 was offered a position into the school. I believe their class started with just under 100 people and I think about 60-70 or so completed the program with a 3.0 or better. Our class (fellow AP, right?) should work out to be about the same.

Do they enroll 100 people because that is there max limit, or is that just as many people as they saw as a good fit in their program? What is probably the max number of people that they may admit? How many people apply to the program?

2/3? 60-70 out of 100?

D'em 'der is good odds!

:thumbup: :smuggrin:

NRAI2001 said:
Do they enroll 100 people because that is there max limit, or is that just as many people as they saw as a good fit in their program? What is probably the max number of people that they may admit? How many people apply to the program?

They have a cap on the number. It used to be 60 then bumped to 85 then to about 100. One of the reasons I think (disclaimer) is that most people who roll through the AP are very motivated. I think that the average Step 1 is higher for APs than non APs. Of course some people have been weeded out. One of my friends who did the AP with me has a 4.0 never gotten a B.. And the dude knows how to party..From what I hear they have ~ 300 apply of course a number of those people get into med school. One of my buddies got his AP acceptance late and was ready to do it, then the next day he got into the Med school at CMS.. Just something to think of. I would imagine 75% of the people that want to go there (didnt get into md school) get in. But thats just me talking out my butt without any real knowledge.. :p

EctopicFetus said:
Sorry I am an MS4.. but i did roll through the AP.. yeah historically 2/3s make it..

what did u and other AP'ers do during ur MS1A year? i know research is an option. is it hard to get involved in research at RF? do people just end up studying in advance for the boards?

My advisor told me about RFU program numbers. In Fall03, 83 students got in the program, 62 of them got into the medschool, and the rest got into other medschools. She even told me that she heard of a student that got into Yale afterwards.

Did anyone hear about Barry Universtiy postbac in Florida?

Thank you

junos187 said:
My advisor told me about RFU program numbers. In Fall03, 83 students got in the program, 62 of them got into the medschool, and the rest got into other medschools. She even told me that she heard of a student that got into Yale afterwards.

Did anyone hear about Barry Universtiy postbac in Florida?

Thank you

I think you should call RFU and confirm that information

The other question you should ask is where the number 83 comes from, because I bet it is the number of people who graduated, not marticulated into the program. You should ask what their class amount is to medical school accpetance numbers are.

heres my take on the gt smp; i finished with a 3.5 in the SMP and had 2 interviews last year, one at GT itself and the other at U. Vermont and got waitlisted at both. You def dont need a 3.9+ to get accepted but those were the first people to get accepted by GT but later on, they definitely accept people with gpa's that were >3.9. 3.5 is the magic number after the first semester...everyone i knew who had 3.5+ after the first semester got interviews at drexel, nymc and slu. Of the 8 other people I knew, only 1 did not get accepted that year. This year, my friend who didnt get, just finished his apps this late and already has interviews at drexel and SUNY upstate (out of stater too). Of the other 7 friends of mine, one went to Keck (USC), one went to U.C Irvine, and another to Wake Forest. Personally, I think that the SMP was one thing everyone needed to make that step from premed to med student...i would say that between my friends and myself, our average MCAT wouldve been a 31 and science gpa of 3.3. A definite plus was that the directors really work hard to get you in and actually care about their students. I had a great time at GT and would recommend the program to anyone. As for RFU, I have heard that anyone with a 2.95+ GPA gets in but the program doesnt really help for other schools.

Good luck!

gintien said:
heres my take on the gt smp; i finished with a 3.5 in the SMP and had 2 interviews last year, one at GT itself and the other at U. Vermont and got waitlisted at both. You def dont need a 3.9+ to get accepted but those were the first people to get accepted by GT but later on, they definitely accept people with gpa's that were >3.9. 3.5 is the magic number after the first semester...everyone i knew who had 3.5+ after the first semester got interviews at drexel, nymc and slu. Of the 8 other people I knew, only 1 did not get accepted that year. This year, my friend who didnt get, just finished his apps this late and already has interviews at drexel and SUNY upstate (out of stater too). Of the other 7 friends of mine, one went to Keck (USC), one went to U.C Irvine, and another to Wake Forest. Personally, I think that the SMP was one thing everyone needed to make that step from premed to med student...i would say that between my friends and myself, our average MCAT wouldve been a 31 and science gpa of 3.3. A definite plus was that the directors really work hard to get you in and actually care about their students. I had a great time at GT and would recommend the program to anyone. As for RFU, I have heard that anyone with a 2.95+ GPA gets in but the program doesnt really help for other schools.

Good luck!

What % of SMP'ers get above a 3.5? It seems like the majority do, yet this seems impossible.

BOBODR said:
What % of SMP'ers get above a 3.5? It seems like the majority do, yet this seems impossible.

Well I'm not sure how many get that, but the reason why everybody can do well is because you are not competing against each other. You are graded against the medical school mean (without being included into it), so if everybody in the SMP does as well as the top 10% of medical students, then everyone gets an A (naturally, that doesn't actually happen, but it's possible). For the non-medical school courses you take, they're on a fixed scale, so everyone can get an A in there too. In the microbiology class we just finished, 90% of the class got an A or A-. It wasn't an easy A, it was just that if you put in the work, you can all earn a good grade. They know that by this point the people that normally make up a standard curve have been weeded out. You can still fail though if you don't study, but you can all do well if you do study. :)

Oh, and people get into incredible schools from the SMP too. There has been at least one person who got into UPenn in the recent past, and several got into a UC (Davis, Irvine and San Diego).