Rosalind Franklin or G-Town SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tacrum43 said:
Well I'm not sure how many get that, but the reason why everybody can do well is because you are not competing against each other. You are graded against the medical school mean (without being included into it), so if everybody in the SMP does as well as the top 10% of medical students, then everyone gets an A (naturally, that doesn't actually happen, but it's possible). For the non-medical school courses you take, they're on a fixed scale, so everyone can get an A in there too. In the microbiology class we just finished, 90% of the class got an A or A-. It wasn't an easy A, it was just that if you put in the work, you can all earn a good grade. They know that by this point the people that normally make up a standard curve have been weeded out. You can still fail though if you don't study, but you can all do well if you do study. :)

Oh, and people get into incredible schools from the SMP too. There has been at least one person who got into UPenn in the recent past, and several got into a UC (Davis, Irvine and San Diego).

I have researched the SMP pretty well because its looking more and more like if I really want to go to med school I would have to do it. On the SMP website unfortunately they only have medical schools matriculated to by the 2002 class as the latest. ALthough alot of people wound up at G-town and other good schools, half also wound up D.O., or Caribbean it seemed. How many hours a week do you study? How is it possible that everyone in the SMP gets A's when that means they have to match the top 10% of the g-town class which I am sure is competitive? Do most schools you apply to during this yr wait for your SMP grades before possibly rejecting you?

Members don't see this ad.

BOBODR said:
I have researched the SMP pretty well because its looking more and more like if I really want to go to med school I would have to do it. On the SMP website unfortunately they only have medical schools matriculated to by the 2002 class as the latest. ALthough alot of people wound up at G-town and other good schools, half also wound up D.O., or Caribbean it seemed. How many hours a week do you study? How is it possible that everyone in the SMP gets A's when that means they have to match the top 10% of the g-town class which I am sure is competitive? Do most schools you apply to during this yr wait for your SMP grades before possibly rejecting you?

Not everyone gets an A, the point I was trying to make is that they could, because you are not competing with each other. In the medical school classes you take (6 out of the 10 courses you take are with med students), you are graded against their curve. The point here is to prove you can do equal (B- or B) or better (B+, A- or A) than the medical student mean, and thus can handle being in medical school. Several people did fail the Embryology class we've had, but most people scored well enough to get a "pass" (which = a B for your GPA) or better. Some medical students failed too for that matter, and I believe an SMPer did get the high score. I think the thing is with these classes is that you have to learn a lot of information, but it is not all that difficult, there's just lots of it to know.

In the other four courses, the graduate ones that is, the classes is graded on a fixed scale. It is not a give away (our class had the highest of any apparently for that one class I mentioned), so don't think it's an easy A, but everyone can do well if they study and are motivated (which almost everybody here is).

When Georgetown says 55% get in the first year, and a total of 85% get in by the second year, they mean to a U.S. allopathic medical school. The other 15% either get in later still, fail out of the program, decide to do something else entirely, and some do go to a D.O. school. So the vast majority do get into a U.S. allopathic school.

so you guys really think that if you attend rosalind it wont help you to get in somewhere else? i think its nice to have a resonable guarantee at RF but it will be nicer to know you have a shot at better school.

Members don't see this ad :)
madonna said:
so you guys really think that if you attend rosalind it wont help you to get in somewhere else? i think its nice to have a resonable guarantee at RF but it will be nicer to know you have a shot at better school.

Well some people do get into other places from there, and while it doesn't have the best reputation (at least among pre-meds) they do have a great match list.

I think either program is a good choice. Georgetown does have a better track record with other medical schools though.

Don't GW and NYMC have a tendency to take a lot of GT SMPs students the next year also?

markboonya said:
G-town seems like it has the more established program but the linkage is pretty weak. my roomate went last year, got a 3.87, interviewed at gtown but did not get accepted (but drexel came through for him). he said the people who matriculated from smp into gtown were all >3.9. anyone know if this is accurate? input from past smp'ers would be appreciated. are u granted advanced MS1 status if u do matriculate?

i dont want to potentially bust my ass at gtown and have one B ruin my chance at acceptance. RF's AP seems more like a sure bet, but the program isnt as widely recognized and u'll most likely just end up at chicago...which isnt necessarily negative but i dont know how campus life is at RF- does anyone know? oh, and are u actually in class with the med students at RF or is it a video taping like at drexel's IMS program?

seems like u gotta have pretty big balls to choose SMP over AP considering u have to get a 4.0 vs a 3.0 respectively. i know smp is cheaper and will probably open more doors for u at other schools, but its still a risk. anyone out there debating SMP vs AP vs IMS?

How about checking out other programs? Loyola's Master of Arts in Medical Sciences program guarantees an interview at their medical school with 3.5 GPA in their program and 28 MCAT.

ExtraAverage said:
How about checking out other programs? Loyola's Master of Arts in Medical Sciences program guarantees an interview at their medical school with 3.5 GPA in their program and 28 MCAT.

Would the interview be while ur in the program or after its completion? Glide year?

NRAI2001 said:
Don't GW and NYMC have a tendency to take a lot of GT SMPs students the next year also?

Both of those schools (along with Drexel, SLU, Creighton, Tulane and several state schools) tend to take several SMPers each year. It is not a guarantee however.

As to your question about Loyola's program, there is a glide year with that one.

tacrum43 said:
Both of those schools (along with Drexel, SLU, Creighton, Tulane and several state schools) tend to take several SMPers each year. It is not a guarantee however.

As to your question about Loyola's program, there is a glide year with that one.

Hey Tacrum. Thats why I am confused. If 85% of people in the SMP get into an allopathic school , it would seem like everyone must do very well in the program. Or is it that even people who only get a 3.0 in the program get in allopathic schools? What would you say is the minimum gpa one can have to get into allopathic schools successfuly? Before I asked if most schools know you are in the SMP, do they wait until the spring after you have one semester of grades, to make their decisions about interviews?

ExtraAverage said:

i dont think u take medical school courses in that program if i remember correctly. thats what i am really after- proving my ability against medical students.

for those of u who are considering applying to these programs, i am curious about ur undergrad performances. are most of u guys non trads or need to make up for a poor undergrad grades. did u guys party too much? didnt realize u wanted to go to medical shool until your last years?

i am guessing we all pretty much underachieved and now are out to prove our academic abilities with a vengence. sounds like we are all gonna be gunners during smp. exciting

markboonya said:
for those of u who are considering applying to these programs, i am curious about ur undergrad performances. are most of u guys non trads or need to make up for a poor undergrad grades. did u guys party too much? didnt realize u wanted to go to medical shool until your last years?

i am guessing we all pretty much underachieved and now are out to prove our academic abilities with a vengence. sounds like we are all gonna be gunners during smp. exciting

Nope. Went to a top school, and graduated with a 3.54 and got a 31 on the MCAT..... worked my azz off at a school notorious for deflation and graduated with a 3.8 in biology. SO not a slacker here at all. I wont be a gunner at SMP, since everyone can do well. Well not competitive with other SMPers but perhaps the medical students. Assuming I dont get into somewhere and i got accepted into the SMP (i dont assume anything at this point)....

NRAI2001 said:

As Tacrum mentioned, the schools that are most receptive to Georgetown SMP are NYMC, Drexel, GWU, and SLU. In this year's class at NYMC, I'm pretty sure there are over 10 physios from last years class, and in this year's first year class at Drexel, I believe there are about 7 or 8 physios from our class last year. There are two physios from our class in this year's first year class at GW. That being said, the schools that seem to take the most (aside from Georgetown Med) are NYMC and Drexel. I hadn't heard about many people getting into Tulane or Creighton, but that could be. I think there are also 3 or 4 physios from my class who are currently in Wake Forest Med's first year class. Keep in mind though, it's never guaranteed that a certain number or physios will be interviewed or accepted each year at any of these schools.

BOBODR said:
Before I asked if most schools know you are in the SMP, do they wait until the spring after you have one semester of grades, to make their decisions about interviews?

One of the first things that the SMP coordinators do is to send out a generic letter to all your designated schools explaining that you are enrolled in the program and what exactly the program is. While, most schools will wait until after the first semester grades are available, several people will end up receiving interviews and even acceptances before first semester grades. Also, a lot of schools, unfortunately, still reject people before the first semester grades are available. The schools that are historically more receptive to SMP students (the ones mentioned above) tend to wait until the grades are out before inviting/rejecting physios. GW is an exception to this, of course - tacrum's interview serving as evidence.

hopefully that was helpful to some people. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
BOBODR said:
Nope. Went to a top school, and graduated with a 3.54 and got a 31 on the MCAT..... worked my azz off at a school notorious for deflation and graduated with a 3.8 in biology. SO not a slacker here at all. I wont be a gunner at SMP, since everyone can do well. Well not competitive with other SMPers but perhaps the medical students. Assuming I dont get into somewhere and i got accepted into the SMP (i dont assume anything at this point)....

wow, with those numbers i am sure u will get in somewhere. did u get any interviews yet? where did u do ur undergrad?

BOBODR said:

:confused: So why are you interested in the SMP? Your grades sound just fine.

And to answer your other question: Yes, people get into schools with below a 3.5 from the SMP. Dr. Myers (the program director) said that people have gotten into schools (not Georgetown though) with 3.2's. Not everyone has to get a 4.0. A 3.5 is still very good. A 3.0 will get you the M.S., but it might be too low to get into a school. I'm not exactly sure. Naturally, it is better to get as high a GPA as you can.

The other schools (the ones I previously mentioned) know about the SMP, and they send invites to people who they think are otherwise qualified (besides grades that is), and are doing well in the SMP the after the first semester.

Oh, and there aren't any gunners here (at least not that I've seen). The SMPers are all very supportive, because we really aren't competing against each other. Well at least until we get to the interview stage, but by then it's more about the non-numerical portions of your application, because you are all doing well enough in the SMP if you get invited to interview.

medstylee said:
GW is an exception to this, of course - tacrum's interview serving as evidence.

Yeah. Actually a couple of people (2 others that I know of) have interviewed at GW already this year. I was quite surprised to get the invite when I did. I know that for NYMC, Drexel and SLU they wait until after the first semester. NYMC actually e-mailed to say they are waiting to hear about the grades before they make a decision.

And I didn't know people actually receive acceptances before the grades go out! If that happened for me, I think I would die of excitement, but in a good way...if that's possible. :)

Okay, I think tacrum needs to go study CMP now, and stop wasting time on SDN.

tacrum43 said:
:confused: So why are you interested in the SMP? Your grades sound just fine.

And to answer your other question: Yes, people get into schools with below a 3.5 from the SMP. Dr. Myers (the program director) said that people have gotten into schools (not Georgetown though) with 3.2's. Not everyone has to get a 4.0. A 3.5 is still very good. A 3.0 will get you the M.S., but it might be too low to get into a school. I'm not exactly sure. Naturally, it is better to get as high a GPA as you can.

The other schools (the ones I previously mentioned) know about the SMP, and they send invites to people who they think are otherwise qualified (besides grades that is), and are doing well in the SMP the after the first semester.

Oh, and there aren't any gunners here (at least not that I've seen). The SMPers are all very supportive, because we really aren't competing against each other. Well at least until we get to the interview stage, but by then it's more about the non-numerical portions of your application, because you are all doing well enough in the SMP if you get invited to interview.

My interest is I want to go to med school more than anything. This is my second time applying. I went to Wake Forest University. Interviewed at SUNY-Buffalo (waitlist), NMYC (wont know until end of January but I loved the school) and have an interview at UNC. Rejected by alot of other schools and placed on hold which equals rejection at many others. I had a horrible first semester at my school (2.4). Graduated last august with a 3.54 and topped out my sneior yr where I took Microbiology, Biochem, Organic 2, American literature, and Bio Research for credit overload in one semester and got a 3.8 that semester. Yet not really getting much interview wise (I even got rejected by Drexel pre interview early). Need something to fall back on if NYMC doesnt come through. I know I could do well on the SMP, do they accept people with GPA's this high? or is that actually a problem?

BOBODR said:
My interest is I want to go to med school more than anything. This is my second time applying. I went to Wake Forest University. Interviewed at SUNY-Buffalo (waitlist), NMYC (wont know until end of January but I loved the school) and have an interview at UNC. Rejected by alot of other schools and placed on hold which equals rejection at many others. I had a horrible first semester at my school (2.4). Graduated last august with a 3.54 and topped out my sneior yr where I took Microbiology, Biochem, Organic 2, American literature, and Bio Research for credit overload in one semester and got a 3.8 that semester. Yet not really getting much interview wise (I even got rejected by Drexel pre interview early). Need something to fall back on if NYMC doesnt come through. I know I could do well on the SMP, do they accept people with GPA's this high? or is that actually a problem?

Well okay, just one more post. Really, I can stop whenever I want! :)

Having a higher GPA like that isn't going to hurt your chances, it's just that you probably will get in this year. If you don't have an acceptance by March or so, then maybe apply as a backup. There were actually several people who got accepted off of a waitlist right before the SMP started, and so they ended up going to medical school afterall.

i really want to go to downstate, i am from california. do you guys think either of the two programs will help me to get in? or downstate does not really care about the smps?
oh why did i not study in undergrad :(

madonna said:
i really want to go to downstate, i am from california. do you guys think either of the two programs will help me to get in? or downstate does not really care about the smps?
oh why did i not study in undergrad :(

downstate does look favorably upon smp grades. i was interviewed there (ny resident) after fall grades were released. i know of a few others who interviewed and i'm fairly certain that one was accepted. anyway, i can't possibly guess why you'd want to go to downstate if you're from l.a.?

i live here alone and i have worked 40+ hours in addition to full time school. have family there, where i can stay and they'll cook for me :)
is it that bad there?

got to love all the misinformation on this thread... :) ok, I am a current AP at RFU. Our class started out w/106 and by the end of the first week, was already down to I think just under 100 (mostly pple got taken off of med school waitlists). Everyone is guaranteed an interview. By AAMC regulations, the school must give out enough acceptances to fill the class by i think May 1st. Of the spots that open due to declined acceptances, which is usually more than adequate to cover the successful APs, those spots go to APs. As far as I know, the 3.0 thing still stands, though there are rumors that they are going to make admissions more competitive next year (aka so not affecting my class). APs do NOT factor into the curve. We Do sit with M1s in class. M1As can work, TA physiology, and/or take M2 electives. APs are really a great bunch of pple who work together to help eachother. Some pple do get into other med schools, but it is unlikely that u will get into a Cali state school. Btw, there a TON of APs and M1s from Cali (about 40% of the AP class are from Cali, maybe 35% or so from IL, and the rest random). don't know if i left anything out. if u have questions, PM me. I'll apologize in advance if I can't get back to u right away. 1 last thing--this is actually regarding G'towns SMP program. I applied to this program last year and did not get in, despite Ms. Cabiness telling me I should have no prob getting in. Anyhow, I think the program has sort of turned into a low GPA/high MCAT group. This year's stats were avg 3.4 GPA and 32 MCAT. Many pple had 35+ MCAT. Point being, u may want to think very carefully before throwing all your eggs into that basket, ie competing against pple who basically slacked in college but who know their stuff. Last piece of advice--if u do any of these programs, get your AMCAS and secondaries done before you start! Even if u get a 4.0 in these programs, but submit your AMCAS in October, u have probably shot yourself in the foot for other schools. Just my $.02 :)

redsoxfan said:
got to love all the misinformation on this thread... :) ok, I am a current AP at RFU. Our class started out w/106 and by the end of the first week, was already down to I think just under 100 (mostly pple got taken off of med school waitlists). Everyone is guaranteed an interview. By AAMC regulations, the school must give out enough acceptances to fill the class by i think May 1st. Of the spots that open due to declined acceptances, which is usually more than adequate to cover the successful APs, those spots go to APs. As far as I know, the 3.0 thing still stands, though there are rumors that they are going to make admissions more competitive next year (aka so not affecting my class). APs do NOT factor into the curve. We Do sit with M1s in class. M1As can work, TA physiology, and/or take M2 electives. APs are really a great bunch of pple who work together to help eachother. Some pple do get into other med schools, but it is unlikely that u will get into a Cali state school. Btw, there a TON of APs and M1s from Cali (about 40% of the AP class are from Cali, maybe 35% or so from IL, and the rest random). don't know if i left anything out. if u have questions, PM me. I'll apologize in advance if I can't get back to u right away. 1 last thing--this is actually regarding G'towns SMP program. I applied to this program last year and did not get in, despite Ms. Cabiness telling me I should have no prob getting in. Anyhow, I think the program has sort of turned into a low GPA/high MCAT group. This year's stats were avg 3.4 GPA and 32 MCAT. Many pple had 35+ MCAT. Point being, u may want to think very carefully before throwing all your eggs into that basket, ie competing against pple who basically slacked in college but who know their stuff. Last piece of advice--if u do any of these programs, get your AMCAS and secondaries done before you start! Even if u get a 4.0 in these programs, but submit your AMCAS in October, u have probably shot yourself in the foot for other schools. Just my $.02 :)

You said taht they are thinking about making the cut off point for getting into the med school higher next year, do u know what the new cut off may be?

Also u mentioned that the avg stats were 3.4 and 32, is that for GT or for RFU?

I'm not really sure what they are doing to make it more competitive next year, whether that means a smaller class, higher GPA, or what. The 3.4 and 32 refer to G'town and NOT RFU. RFU is a little more varied for GPA and MCAT. hope that helps...

redsoxfan said:
M1As can work, TA physiology, and/or take M2 electives.

TA physiolgy for the M1's i am guessing, since there are no undergrads at RF right? what were ur stats btw if u dont mind me asking.

for those of u who applied early to post bacs (ie right when the application came out (rfu-ap comes out at the beginning of december and smp in january) how long did it take before u got ur acceptance? i know they like to wait until june before handing out acceptances so that they can pick up all the rejected waitlisters, but what if u have good numbers-3.3/32? will u get an acceptance within 2 months? i've been searching the forums and all the "official acceptance threads for AP/SMP" seem to arise during june.

i am wondering because i am applying to DO schools this current cycle but i think i would rather do post bac. however i want to avoid the ridiculous deposit fees that some DO schools require- i dont want to pay $2000 for a seat at touro and end up going to a post bac, but at the same time i dont want to give up my seat at a DO school (if i get in) and end up getting rejected from AP/SMP.

markboonya said:
for those of u who applied early to post bacs (ie right when the application came out (rfu-ap comes out at the beginning of december and smp in january) how long did it take before u got ur acceptance? i know they like to wait until june before handing out acceptances so that they can pick up all the rejected waitlisters, but what if u have good numbers-3.3/32? will u get an acceptance within 2 months? i've been searching the forums and all the "official acceptance threads for AP/SMP" seem to arise during june.

I was one of the first applicants and was accepted around late January, as I recall.

imrep1972 said:
I was one of the first applicants and was accepted around late January, as I recall.

what were ur numbers if u dont mind sharing. if u applied to any other postbac programs, how fast were their response times? thanks!

I applied back in January with a 3.2 and a 32, I seem to remember getting my acceptance in mid to late Feburary.

markboonya said:
what were ur numbers if u dont mind sharing. if u applied to any other postbac programs, how fast were their response times? thanks!

I have a 2.9 Undergrad and a 36 MCAT. I didn't apply to any other programs. This is the one I wanted to go to.

imrep1972 said:
I have a 2.9 Undergrad and a 36 MCAT. I didn't apply to any other programs. This is the one I wanted to go to.

Wow thats a high mcat. Are you in the AP program this year? Or in past years?

NRAI2001 said:
Wow thats a high mcat. Are you in the AP program this year? Or in past years?

I is a current SMP student. :)

And you can be too: If you can answer this question correctly, you are ready, grasshopper.

During long periods of fasting, which pathway is thermodynamically favorable; glycolysis or gluconeogenesis?

PEACE AND WISDOM UNTO YOU.

LOL... wait until 4th yr.. and you just realize you could give 2 craps.. All you do is check your email q5mins.. Waiting for interviews to roll in..

Dr. Sherman would be proud

imrep1972 said:

And you can be too: If you can answer this question correctly, you are ready, grasshopper.

During long periods of fasting, which pathway is thermodynamically favorable; glycolysis or gluconeogenesis?

Both!

...right?

imrep1972 said:
Heheh... I'll tell ya Friday at 3:01pm ;)

3:01pm in what timezone?

Hi all...
I was told by Dr. Meyers that I might not have a chance to get into SMP at Georgetown :(
Anyways, is Rosalind Franklin as competitive to get in?
Thanks

junos187 said:
Hi all...
I was told by Dr. Meyers that I might not have a chance to get into SMP at Georgetown :(
Anyways, is Rosalind Franklin as competitive to get in?
Thanks

Why did he say that? Was it bc of your stats?

i applied really early for the GT SMP (for the class of 2005) and i think i heard back in mid feb/early march. At the time I had a 30P and 3.35AO, 3.27BCPM.

markboonya said:

i am wondering because i am applying to DO schools this current cycle but i think i would rather do post bac. however i want to avoid the ridiculous deposit fees that some DO schools require- i dont want to pay $2000 for a seat at touro and end up going to a post bac, but at the same time i dont want to give up my seat at a DO school (if i get in) and end up getting rejected from AP/SMP.

It was my stats. He also mentioned that an average of 800 students apply! My stats are not bad, 3.0 and 31 MCATs but my grade trends gave off a red flag. I'm hoping RF is not as competitive.

junos187 said:
It was my stats. He also mentioned that an average of 800 students apply! My stats are not bad, 3.0 and 31 MCATs but my grade trends gave off a red flag. I'm hoping RF is not as competitive.
what kind of trend do u speak of?

junos187 said:

Yea my trends are kinda screwed up also. Frosh did ok, soph year did really bad, jr and 1st semester of senior year had close to straight As, and then last semester of senior year my grades went down again. :thumbdown:

800 is a lot of peps, ouch
does anyone know how long the applicaitons are? like essays and stuff?
thanx

Hello,
Thank you for all of your posts. I've learned alot. I'm concerned about the glide year. Can someone from RFU or GT program give me info about the glide year? Thanks.

madonna said:
800 is a lot of peps, ouch
does anyone know how long the applicaitons are? like essays and stuff?
thanx

the application for GT isnt that bad...i remember it was longer than a secondary but didnt require an essay if you have your AMCAS finished. (basically, its really easy if you did your AMCAS for the year you apply)

confuse said:
Hello,
Thank you for all of your posts. I've learned alot. I'm concerned about the glide year. Can someone from RFU or GT program give me info about the glide year? Thanks.

at the GT SMP, a little over half (50-60%) didnt have a glide year as they were accepted into med school during the SMP. As for the glide year if you didnt get in, most people got a research or hospital job and volunteered. I didnt get a research or hospital job though...I'm working as a production assistant for a film company. As for the RFU program, I heard that most people who completed the program were accepted to RFU med so no glide year for them!

imrep1972 said:

just learned this in my human phys class.....Gluconeogenesis because during prolonged fasting the kidneys synthesize glucose from aminoacids to release it into the blood!!!!!!!!! :D