Rosalind Franklin or G-Town SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
siloka said:
just learned this in my human phys class.....Gluconeogenesis because during prolonged fasting the kidneys synthesize glucose from aminoacids to release it into the blood!!!!!!!!! :D

But is it thermodynamically favorable or does it require an input of energy?

Members don't see this ad.

siloka said:
just learned this in my human phys class.....Gluconeogenesis because during prolonged fasting the kidneys synthesize glucose from aminoacids to release it into the blood!!!!!!!!! :D

Nope, actually they are both still thermodynamically favorable, it's just that both are regulated to turn off (well not totally, but close enough) one while the other is active. It is a trick question.

You are correct that glucose is synthesized from amino acids, but I think most of that takes place in the liver, not the kidneys.

markboonya said:
I am guessing that GMS are what the Boston master students are called? what are the advantages of boston and drexel that put them at the top of ur list? it seems like drexel's linkage is similar to gtown's (not too great) and the program isnt as well known and u arent in class with the med students.

GMS means (division of) graduate medical sciences and includes masters and phd students in the basic sciences as well as those in the MAMS program...just 2 clarify (since i went 2 busm 4 grad school)

Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting information here. I didn't know anything about these AP/SMP programs. I have a question specifically about the Rosalind Franklin AP program.

You take a lot of school of medicine classes with the MS1 people in this program. If you get accepted to the MD program for the next year, do you have to re-take those classes for MD credit? Probably not, right? Are you classified as a MS2 upon enrollment? What about the couple of classes that AP students don't take with the MS1 students?
If you do get credit for the classes, and since you did not fully complete the MS1 curriculum, do you take some MS1 classes and some MS2 classes? I guess what I am basically wondering is: Does it take four years to get your MD from the very start of AP enrollment, or does it take 5?

This program is a great fail-safe. It almost seems like a conditional acceptance program. Like they are saying, "You are not quite there to be a fully accepted student into our MD program, but you are close!". If you pass all the med school classes, then the next year, we will fully admit you into our MD program. Then you can fail a class without worry of being kicked out of the program (j/k).

I am glad I know about this SDN forum, it rocks!

FlStudent said:
Very interesting information here. I didn't know anything about these AP/SMP programs. I have a question specifically about the Rosalind Franklin AP program.

You take a lot of school of medicine classes with the MS1 people in this program. If you get accepted to the MD program for the next year, do you have to re-take those classes for MD credit? Probably not, right? Are you classified as a MS2 upon enrollment? What about the couple of classes that AP students don't take with the MS1 students?
If you do get credit for the classes, and since you did not fully complete the MS1 curriculum, do you take some MS1 classes and some MS2 classes? I guess what I am basically wondering is: Does it take four years to get your MD from the very start of AP enrollment, or does it take 5?

This program is a great fail-safe. It almost seems like a conditional acceptance program. Like they are saying, "You are not quite there to be a fully accepted student into our MD program, but you are close!". If you pass all the med school classes, then the next year, we will fully admit you into our MD program. Then you can fail a class without worry of being kicked out of the program (j/k).

I am glad I know about this SDN forum, it rocks!

5 years to complete after the start of the AP program. You are not guaranteed a spot if you are accepted into the AP program. In the past you had to maintain a 3.0 gpa (not easy as I have heard from past APers) but i ve heard that starting next year that they are gonna make it harder to marticulate into the med school the following year, this was from unoffical sources so take it with a grain of salt.

I am currently an AP student
so here is the deal. 10 things about the program

1. It is VERY HARD to get a 3.0 in this program. The schedule is rough and we are on the same scale as the M1s----> 10 people or so fail MCB and are kicked out the first quarter......last year out of the 77 people who had a 3.0 till the last quarter only 66 made it in.....how sad?? 11 people stuck with it till the end and paid all that money....and missed it by one class......i know one guy who missed it by one question that gave him the C...and the prof/school would not budge :scared: :scared: :scared:
2. I have had some friends who had interviews at other schools (mainly UCs) and each one of them said that the interviewer said something negative about the AP program. Sometheing to effect that "well dont you think that you are at an advantage than everyone else?"
3. Our match list rocks but because we have the AP program the people who make it from the AP program contribute to the overall GPA and MCAT of the incoming class. For example last years averages were 3.45 and 29.5...which are good scores but you have to consider that the average gpa and mcat of an APer is about 3.2 and a 26-27. Therefore the actual gpa and mcat of the people coming straight from college is probably more like 3.7 and 31-32. Well the average of incoming M1s is the 3.45 and 29.5....and rankers like USNEWS think this is too low so they give us a low ranking....and then people think that the school sucks.....so then the administration gets mad and they want to do away with the AP program to bring the averages up.
4. Oh yeah and once again it is very difficult to get a 3.0....and the amount of stress that we are under. Every day (absolutely no joke!) I wake up thinking what if I dont make it......what will happen then?? Carribean?? DO??? what??....this is the worst feeling of all.
5. But if you can pull off 3.0....you worked ur ass off to get here and u totally deserve....just as much as the people who got in from college
6. M1A year....year inbetween AP and M2 year....is verrry chilll.....almost like a waste of a year....all you do is pretty much take two classes (12 units or so) per quarter....so there is lots of time for volunteer and research.....this can look great on ur application.
7. If you want to go to this school and not waste a year re-applying....this is the best program
8. Down fall----> 55K for school and living and books etc.---> HUGE RISK
9. Out of the 49 units of straight up hardcore bio units you need an OVERALL GPA of 3.0---> get an A in physiology (14 units) and you are pretty much in....this means that you have to get more than 14 units of Cs or fail a class to get kicked out----> not gonna happen!
10. This is a good program, although there are rumors that they are changing it next year----> but nothing is 100%

good luck....send me a message if u have questions

do they have rumors every year that they are going to change the Rosalind Franklin program? Also where was this source on that they said they are goingto change the style of the program?

Thanks

Hi all,

Hopefully this will clear up some rumours about the RF AP program. I sent them an email regarding all these rumours, and some additional questions, and here's the response I got (p.s. I omitted some personal questions that I asked them):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Applied Physiology (AP) Program at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS). As you may already be aware, the Applied Physiology Program is currently undergoing its annual review. During this review, a committee assesses all components of the program such as prerequisite test scores/gpa/materials, application form, application season timeline, program coursework and structure. Although it is possible that some of these items may be modified for 06-07, to date, there have been no changes made to the program, its tuition, curriculum or mode of course delivery. The statements you have presented are only rumor. Official notification of any changes to the program will be released by the Director of the Program or Office of Academic Affairs through official University channels.

With regard to the GPA and MCAT evaluation, applications are screened on their entire merit, not one specific area. While adequate preparation in these areas is ideal, items such as course selection, preparation in the sciences, grade trends and extracurricular/volunteer involvement is also taken into consideration. All international applicants are required to submit additional materials, as mandated by the Federal Government. These will be outlined in the application materials, upon release, and usually consist of items such as assessment of verbal/written skills, financial responsibility, and transcript conversion into American course equivalents (where applicable).

If you have not already done so, I encourage you to submit your contact information (address/phone/email) so that we can notify you as soon as information becomes available. We anticipate that this information will not be available until mid January at the earliest. If you have any further questions, please feel free to address them to my office.

Sincerely,
Caryn Wickersheim
Manager, Office of Graduate Admissions
M.D./Ph.D. Administrator
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
847 578-8601