Roseman vs Pacific University (Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me a quick review of the two? I only compared the two schools by their websites and Roseman's looked very dry. My concerns are: quality of rotation, quality of education, weather, and student life. I am from Southern CA if anyone needs a baseline.

Thanks

Edit: southern ca

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you wanna wait a month or so for him to get experience, I know somebody who can actually reasonably compare both of them due to attendance, although he might be biased because he was unable to finish out his time at Roseman and ended up essentially "transferring" to Pacific.

As for just Roseman: I have no idea on quality of advanced rotations. Quality of education seems pretty good, although your mileage may vary because of the nature of the block program and the accelerated rate. Weather is hot as heck during a lot of the summer and near-summer months, but I don't notice it that much since I'm indoors a lot. Student life has been excellent for me. Feel free to ask me to elaborate.

If you wanna wait a month or so for him to get experience, I know somebody who can actually reasonably compare both of them due to attendance, although he might be biased because he was unable to finish out his time at Roseman and ended up essentially "transferring" to Pacific.

As for just Roseman: I have no idea on quality of advanced rotations. Quality of education seems pretty good, although your mileage may vary because of the nature of the block program and the accelerated rate. Weather is hot as heck during a lot of the summer and near-summer months, but I don't notice it that much since I'm indoors a lot. Student life has been excellent for me. Feel free to ask me to elaborate.

Can you tell me more about the student life? I understand that the strip is down the street, but that is not my idea of student life. How fast is the "accelerated" block system? Does it affect your student life? Are you originally from NV/LV? Also, I would love to hear what your friend has to say about PU when he has the opportunity.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you're expecting from "student life" but I'll try my best to address it. There aren't any organized sports or anything. There are a lot of student organizations that provide volunteering activities. There are professional fraternities that provide social and volunteering activities. You can be involved in those as much or as little as you'd like.

I feel like people are generally close and friendly as much as you can get from a class population of close to 145. If you're the kind of person to try to meet people and make friends, you can do that. If you want to stay within a close-knit group of friends, you can do that as well. There may be people who make study guides or charts to share with the class in general.

As for your free time, that's up to you and your friends or family. I happen to go to the gym w/ friends (not as much as I'd like), play some games, watch some TV, and semi-regularly eat out w/ friends. There's an incredible variety of good restaurants in Henderson and in non-Strip parts of Las Vegas. There's people who go hiking on the weekends. Henderson and Las Vegas are two pretty large cities, so there's plenty to do beyond the Strip, and I'm sure you'd like it no matter what your particular interests are.

Note that Roseman also includes the South Jordan, UT campus. I don't know what goes on there since it's essentially a different institution, but I would imagine that there's still an interconnected student body even though there aren't as many things going on. I wouldn't recommend choosing Utah unless you have friends/family there, you somehow prefer the weather in Utah, or you have some other very compelling reason.

There is a block assessment every two weeks, as well as other assessments and assignments throughout the year. For me, it was generally a lot of studying closer to the end of the two week cycle and not as much at the start, but consistent studying would be better than pulling all-nighters. During my first year, I had plenty of free time. For second year, I imagine that there won't be as much free time except on weekends.

I am originally from California as well.

was he unable to complete it because he was unable to to handle the curriculum? or for other reasons?

I don't know anything about Pacific University but being a P3 student at Roseman, I'll give you my two cents: If I had to do it over again (of course I had never applied to Pacific), I would choose any school over Roseman. The faculty and staff (for the most part) don't care about nor respect students. The school pretty much only cares about collecting your money and could care less about you as a human being, and if they see that for whatever reason you're down or going through tough times, they'll make your life even more miserable since that's what they enjoy doing. As far as Vegas goes, who in their right mind would want to live here given a choice? Perhaps there are people that would choose it I guess. The weather does feel like one has been punished and sent to hell. The "summer" lasts half the year, and the part of Henderson that the school is in is very, umm, well just a ****ty area that I would not want to live in. All else being the same in terms of block format, curriculum, etc...I'm not sure why anyone would choose this school over Pacific. I would think Oregon is much prettier and has better weather. There used to be a time when getting into pharmacy school was so important that any school would do. I don't see why now being that there are no "jobs" out there anyone would want to tolerate 3 years of Roseman just to be unemployed after... at least choose the place with better weather

That person also told me that at Pacific you get team points for Monday remediation whereas at Roseman, you get crap. That is big difference.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from "student life" but I'll try my best to address it. There aren't any organized sports or anything. There are a lot of student organizations that provide volunteering activities. There are professional fraternities that provide social and volunteering activities. You can be involved in those as much or as little as you'd like.

I feel like people are generally close and friendly as much as you can get from a class population of close to 145. If you're the kind of person to try to meet people and make friends, you can do that. If you want to stay within a close-knit group of friends, you can do that as well. There may be people who make study guides or charts to share with the class in general.

As for your free time, that's up to you and your friends or family. I happen to go to the gym w/ friends (not as much as I'd like), play some games, watch some TV, and semi-regularly eat out w/ friends. There's an incredible variety of good restaurants in Henderson and in non-Strip parts of Las Vegas. There's people who go hiking on the weekends. Henderson and Las Vegas are two pretty large cities, so there's plenty to do beyond the Strip, and I'm sure you'd like it no matter what your particular interests are.

Note that Roseman also includes the South Jordan, UT campus. I don't know what goes on there since it's essentially a different institution, but I would imagine that there's still an interconnected student body even though there aren't as many things going on. I wouldn't recommend choosing Utah unless you have friends/family there, you somehow prefer the weather in Utah, or you have some other very compelling reason.

There is a block assessment every two weeks, as well as other assessments and assignments throughout the year. For me, it was generally a lot of studying closer to the end of the two week cycle and not as much at the start, but consistent studying would be better than pulling all-nighters. During my first year, I had plenty of free time. For second year, I imagine that there won't be as much free time except on weekends.

I am originally from California as well.

Hi, so what do you think of the blok schedule? Is it manageable with daily studying? Or do you feel as though your always behind? I'm not 100% understanding this block schedule. Can you tell us how it works? And how difficult it is compared to semester or quarter? Pros and cons? Thank you!!! Sorry it's a lot to ask

Block schedule simply means you study 1 topic every 2 weeks, take an exam, and move on to the next block. For example: Block 1: BioChem , Block 2: Pharmacokinetic, Block 3: Renal, Block 4: Cardiology,....

In block schedule, you usually have 6 hours of classroom time a day. Remember that in a popular 3 units semester course, you have 3 hours of lecture a week. Thus, 1 day in block system cover the material equivalent to about 2 weeks of semester time. Attrition rate at Pacific is about 2% (not sure about Roseman), so it means that only a few students fail every year => it's very doable I guess

I'm just nervous about picking a block schedule school. Will they ease you in with the first block? And what happens if you don't pass a 1 block? You can't move on?

I'm just nervous about picking a block schedule school. Will they ease you in with the first block? And what happens if you don't pass a 1 block? You can't move on?

I don't think they will be easy on you in any block. There are blocks that no one fail as well as there are block that 70% of the class fail. There are people who never fail as well as people who fail every block (these people normally pass the re-exam)

If you fail a block exam (on Friday) then you come back for re-exam (next Monday). If you fail the re-exam then you have Extended Learning (EL) at the end of that semester (you still move on to the next block). If you still fail after EL then you join the 2% attrition group: you will NOT move on to the next semester. You come back next year to retake that block. If you have 4 or more EL in one semester, you also have to come back next year to retake those blocks (why? because the EL period can only accommodate 3 EL)

I suggest you call Pacific or Roseman. They will describe for you in details how their block system work

Can someone give me a quick review of the two? I only compared the two schools by their websites and Roseman's looked very dry. My concerns are: quality of rotation, quality of education, weather, and student life. I am from Southern CA if anyone needs a baseline.

Thanks

Edit: southern ca

Please anyone can tell me about the IPPE and APPE in Pacific University of Oregon. I was wondering if I can have APPE at CA (because I'm from CA). If anyone gives me any details or info, I'd appreciate it. I've been trying to contact them, but I haven't heard from them.

Roseman has far better weather, better technology, better faculty - just a better and happier vibe. Pacific is quite frankly in the middle of nowhere, the rotations are out in the desert of Oregon, there is so much conflict among everyone, especially administration- just avoid the drama and stick to as close to California as possible, period. Plus their Dean can speak english!

I accepted an offer to Pacific University in Oregon (a 3 yr program as well) and I am debating whether or not I should interview at Roseman next week. Anyone have any insight on the two programs? Or why you would choose one or the other? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of spending the time and money to go interview at another school.
Thanks!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I accepted an offer to Pacific University in Oregon (a 3 yr program as well) and I am debating whether or not I should interview at Roseman next week. Anyone have any insight on the two programs? Or why you would choose one or the other? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of spending the time and money to go interview at another school.
Thanks!!!

Hey @RphCat did you go to the interview?

Same here. I interviewed and was accepted at roseman. Then received interview for pacific. I declined it.

Best of luck!