Ross c/o 2020 (September 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseKrazy23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for students that have been officially accepted to Ross and plan on starting in September of 2016! I found out 3 weeks ago!!! Can't wait to start, trying to get the paperwork started to get my dog and cat over there :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Woah you heard back so early! Most people haven't even head back for interviews. Congrats though!! That's amazing :claps:

Reactions: 1 user
I also got in! Waiting to hear back from a couple other schools first, but definitely exciting!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to start a thread for students that have been officially accepted to Ross and plan on starting in September of 2016! I found out 3 weeks ago!!! Can't wait to start, trying to get the paperwork started to get my dog and cat over there :)
Non-Ross related question... how are you bringing your animals? If I go to an internatinal school, I want to bring my dog but I'm worried about the plane. Have you ever brought your animals on a plane before?

What would you say is an advantage of Ross over St.George?

any advice or tips on the interview? or how was the experience for you?

how long ago did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? @HorseKrazy23 ive been waiting some time to hear something, but I also know that the Jan class still isn't full so I'm not too concerned.

Also, congratulations! Maybe I will be your classmate.

I applied in October, haven't heard anything yet. Now that I'm looking more into the schools I applied to, I have a couple questions. Are you required to live in the dorms for a certain period of time? Do you spend all 4 years there, or can you come stateside for part? If so, how does that work? I've just heard/read other things and wanted to know what's true!

I submitted my application via VMCAS on Sept 14. I got my email about an interview request on Nov 11 and scheduled my interview for Nov 23rd. I'm accepted for May 2016!

I submitted my application via VMCAS on Sept 14. I got my email about an interview request on Nov 11 and scheduled my interview for Nov 23rd. I'm accepted for May 2016!

Any tips or advice on the interview ?

Any tips or advice on the interview ?
Just be yourself and don't be shy! I freaked out about it at first, but it really was laid back and it really just seemed like she was trying to get to know me. She didn't ask anything tricky, mostly just a lot about my experiences working in the veterinary field and my study habits. GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :) :) :)

Anyone here going to the accepted students thing in LA this Saturday?

I applied in October, haven't heard anything yet. Now that I'm looking more into the schools I applied to, I have a couple questions. Are you required to live in the dorms for a certain period of time? Do you spend all 4 years there, or can you come stateside for part? If so, how does that work? I've just heard/read other things and wanted to know what's true!
I am highly considering going to Ross and I just recently got accepted. I asked about living during the interview and my pets. They require you to live in the dorms your first semester- and you can't bring your pets. After the first semester you can move to an apartment and fly your animals down. jet blue is a company that is very pet friendly and flies animals down. Basically I have heard from veterinarians who are Ross graduates that living was similar to undergrad- considering you are so far away from home. However, most Ross graduates I have talked to absolutely loved life on the island. During my interview I was asked how I would feel about moving to an island, one of the issues of Ross is a lot of people have culture shock and leave the island because they don't like being so isolated and far from their families, so they will most likely ask during the interview about your take on living on an island because they want to gauge weather it is something you as a student can actually handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a skype interview next wednesday, has anyone had a skype interview? what should you wear?

I had a skype interview 2ish weeks ago. I wore a blazer w/ a nice blouse underneath. Also to remember to make sure there's a plain wall behind you, or some kind of non-distracting background. It was really laid back, very conversational, so I wouldn't worry too much! :)

I have a skype interview next wednesday, has anyone had a skype interview? what should you wear?

Same here had mine back in December soooo laid back super nice I wore a blouse a blazer and black stretchy pants for comfort haha

Reactions: 1 users
i have my in person interview this thursday! ross was my top choice for the longest time until i changed it to illinois, but i was waitlisted there, so now i may end up at Ross anyways haha the money just makes me nervous and they don't have as many opportunities to learn about zoo/wildlife med, but it's definitely still a great experience. i know 3 people who have gone there and absolutely loved it

i have my in person interview this thursday! ross was my top choice for the longest time until i changed it to illinois, but i was waitlisted there, so now i may end up at Ross anyways haha the money just makes me nervous and they don't have as many opportunities to learn about zoo/wildlife med, but it's definitely still a great experience. i know 3 people who have gone there and absolutely loved it
I have a skype interview today at 6pm so I'll let you know how it goes. I added the interviewer yesterday on skype to ensure everything goes swimmingly today and she gave me a nice little good luck speech for today.

How did you get an in person interview? Live close to them?

Has anyone else been asked to apply for the May session instead of the Fall? They emailed me and asked if I would apply to be an applicant for the summer semester but I don't feel prepared enough or even able to be ready by April! They said you have to be on campus by like April 24th and there is just no way. I have so many unanswered questions that I feel that I will be too stressed starting the May semester.

Last edited:
So in September I applied for Fall of 2016 but haven't heard anything since I had to electronically sign that paperwork over email. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime or should I be contacting them to see where I stand? My friend that applied shortly before me has already heard back, got an interview, and has been accepted.

So in September I applied for Fall of 2016 but haven't heard anything since I had to electronically sign that paperwork over email. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime or should I be contacting them to see where I stand? My friend that applied shortly before me has already heard back, got an interview, and has been accepted.
I called Ross the week after I signed that paper because I wanted to ensure that they recieved the paper. I mean a *thanks* reply would have solved the phone call, but she stated that interviews are being given out in accordance to when you applied. She said they usually did by last name but this year they are trying it differently. So I'm assuming you should be hearing within the next few weeks about your interview decision.

I called Ross the week after I signed that paper because I wanted to ensure that they recieved the paper. I mean a *thanks* reply would have solved the phone call, but she stated that interviews are being given out in accordance to when you applied. She said they usually did by last name but this year they are trying it differently. So I'm assuming you should be hearing within the next few weeks about your interview decision.
Thank you so much! I was wondering what the process was because she had mentioned she turned it in early.

I just got accepted to the September class!!!! Got a call yesterday. I interviewed on Feb. 10th and heard back March 8th. They are still looking for people who want to go into the May class, they offered me $3000 to go into the May class, but that is just too soon for me to get everything together.

Congrats future Rossies! :happy:

If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me I'm currently in 3rd semester!

I was accepted to the fall class as well and seriously considering the May class! Just so much to do and figure out. Especially the thought of getting clothes there!!

I was accepted two weeks ago and will be attending as a first semester student this fall!

Pretty sure I'll be attending in the fall of 2016! So excited!

If there's anyone going to the connection event Saturday I'm trying to let my guest know what the attire is. I'm just assuming Bussines casual?

Anyone know if there is a facebook group yet for our entering class?

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find one. I'm not really tech savvy or I would make one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find one. I'm not really tech savvy or I would make one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I would create one but I'm in committee review right now! Don't want to jinx it. *fingers crossed*

they usually make them a month or two before you start, you can start an unofficial one :)

I was wait listed for the fall because they were full, so I asked to be placed in the January class. That way I can finish my masters before leaving. I'm starting to get over the fear of leaving my family and boyfriend. I can't wait to meet new people and experience new things!

Is anyone taking their pets with them in September? I am bringing my Boston Terrier Zoey

Just in case you don't know, they already opened up the FB page for your class!!! :)

Idk if they waitlist for interviews. But I officially withdrew my application last week. I Thought I already did it but they emailed me asking if I wanted to interview :hilarious: hope someone got a chance!

I was wait listed for the fall because they were full, so I asked to be placed in the January class. That way I can finish my masters before leaving. I'm starting to get over the fear of leaving my family and boyfriend. I can't wait to meet new people and experience new things!

Hi, did they tell you that the Fall semester was full? I wonder if that means that they will no longer interview for the Fall semester? Has anyone had an interview recently for the Fall semester?

Hi, did they tell you that the Fall semester was full? I wonder if that means that they will no longer interview for the Fall semester? Has anyone had an interview recently for the Fall semester?

They emailed me about 3 weeks ago asking if I was interested in interviewing and if I'd please send my transcript to get it scheduled. Whether that was for fall or not, they didn't specify.

Ross Fall 2016 has been full for a while now. When I had my interview in March/April it was for the January class.

Ross Fall 2016 has been full for a while now. When I had my interview in March/April it was for the January class.

Oh jeez. Okay. Well, January is better than never. My application has been in review for nearly a month now--not sure what the hold up is. Has anyone been in touch with Beverly as their liaison?

They emailed me about 3 weeks ago asking if I was interested in interviewing and if I'd please send my transcript to get it scheduled. Whether that was for fall or not, they didn't specify.

When did you first apply?

Oh jeez. Okay. Well, January is better than never. My application has been in review for nearly a month now--not sure what the hold up is. Has anyone been in touch with Beverly as their liaison?

I applied directly for the January class (intended for August) but got an email saying that they had started a wait list. My review took a month also so don't fret. I ended up turning down my acceptance for St. George's. I applied April 12th, interview granted April 15th, interviewed the 19th, acceptance May 20th. Good Luck!

I was accepted to Ross for January 2017 and was just recently offered a seat for September 2016. I have some concerns and would like to know if anyone else felt this way.... including current applicants as well as current students.

I have to say, when I interviewed, I was a little put off by the interviewer's demeanor. She was very pushy, like a salesperson. She asked me why I wasn't applying for the May class, and I answered honestly, I was working on a prerequisite class for another school where I'd been wait-listed. She told me, "A U.S. school? With your GPA, do you really think that's realistic?" Well, I'm on the wait-list so.... yes? If my GPA was a deal-breaker would I even have been offered an interview, much less wait-listed? Wouldn't I have just been rejected? Basically she was trying to make me feel bad and bully me into choosing Ross. At the end of it I pretty much decided I didn't want to go there, even if it was the only school I got into.

Well, fast forward about a month, I get my Ross acceptance and all the bad feelings I had about it are out the window. I got into VET SCHOOL! I have a chance to be a veterinarian! This is what I've always wanted! Right? Even if it wasn't my top choice school, isn't the degree (and the career) more important than what school you went to? I decided it was, and started making plans to go to Ross, and feeling excited about it.

So then I get the offer to start in September. I had actually already told my admissions coordinator to take me off the wait-list for September (I'm so sick of wait-lists, I just want to have a concrete start date that I can work toward) so I wasn't really sure why I was even offered the September seat. I had also decided to apply for some internships this fall, since the inability to do summer internships was one of the concerns I had about Ross (one of the con's I've seen listed in this forum). But, I don't know if I'll be accepted for the internships, and if they're offering me to start earlier I should at least consider it, so I emailed my admissions coordinator with some questions. He responded with some vague, semi-helpful answers.

Literally one hour later he called me asking if I was going to accept the September offer. This was the first time I'd spoken to him over the phone, but he was the same as my interviewer: pushy, like a salesperson, interrupting me, etc. He asked me why wouldn't I want to start in September so I told him about the internship I was applying for. Any normal school would be happy for their students to gain more experience, right? He scoffed at me, again trying to make me feel bad, "An internship?! With all the experience you'll be getting in school? Why would you do that?"

So, again I'm very put off, to the point where I'm actually considering just re-applying to US schools for next year.

And I'm sorry if this post doesn't belong here but it was the most relevant thread I could find, and I didn't want to get yelled at for starting a new thread. I don't want to bring anyone down who's excited about going to Ross, but I would like to know if any of you had a similar experience, and I feel like you deserve to know about mine. It certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the school.

I was accepted to Ross for January 2017 and was just recently offered a seat for September 2016. I have some concerns and would like to know if anyone else felt this way.... including current applicants as well as current students.

I have to say, when I interviewed, I was a little put off by the interviewer's demeanor. She was very pushy, like a salesperson. She asked me why I wasn't applying for the May class, and I answered honestly, I was working on a prerequisite class for another school where I'd been wait-listed. She told me, "A U.S. school? With your GPA, do you really think that's realistic?" Well, I'm on the wait-list so.... yes? If my GPA was a deal-breaker would I even have been offered an interview, much less wait-listed? Wouldn't I have just been rejected? Basically she was trying to make me feel bad and bully me into choosing Ross. At the end of it I pretty much decided I didn't want to go there, even if it was the only school I got into.

Well, fast forward about a month, I get my Ross acceptance and all the bad feelings I had about it are out the window. I got into VET SCHOOL! I have a chance to be a veterinarian! This is what I've always wanted! Right? Even if it wasn't my top choice school, isn't the degree (and the career) more important than what school you went to? I decided it was, and started making plans to go to Ross, and feeling excited about it.

So then I get the offer to start in September. I had actually already told my admissions coordinator to take me off the wait-list for September (I'm so sick of wait-lists, I just want to have a concrete start date that I can work toward) so I wasn't really sure why I was even offered the September seat. I had also decided to apply for some internships this fall, since the inability to do summer internships was one of the concerns I had about Ross (one of the con's I've seen listed in this forum). But, I don't know if I'll be accepted for the internships, and if they're offering me to start earlier I should at least consider it, so I emailed my admissions coordinator with some questions. He responded with some vague, semi-helpful answers.

Literally one hour later he called me asking if I was going to accept the September offer. This was the first time I'd spoken to him over the phone, but he was the same as my interviewer: pushy, like a salesperson, interrupting me, etc. He asked me why wouldn't I want to start in September so I told him about the internship I was applying for. Any normal school would be happy for their students to gain more experience, right? He scoffed at me, again trying to make me feel bad, "An internship?! With all the experience you'll be getting in school? Why would you do that?"

So, again I'm very put off, to the point where I'm actually considering just re-applying to US schools for next year.

And I'm sorry if this post doesn't belong here but it was the most relevant thread I could find, and I didn't want to get yelled at for starting a new thread. I don't want to bring anyone down who's excited about going to Ross, but I would like to know if any of you had a similar experience, and I feel like you deserve to know about mine. It certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the school.

Hmm. I think no matter what impressions the school made on you, you have to ask yourself, would you be happy attending? Moving to another country, especially an island, can be a set up for failure if you're not 100 percent happy to attend. So consider that. Cost of living is also pretty high out there. Also, have you done a file review with your waitlist school? Are there glaring things you can improve on this cycle? When do they want to know about the Sept class? Since you asked to be removed from the waitlist it seems like a miscommunication.

Just because vet med is your dream doesn't mean you have to attend any school that accepts you if you have reservations about attending. It's perfectly okay to turn down an acceptance. Good luck!!

Thank you for your support, rockatiel. Yes, I did do a file review with my wait-listed school and it was generally pretty positive. They told me some things I could improve about the focus of my personal statement as well as just gaining more diversity with my veterinary experience (ie. shadowing vets in different fields/specialties). My position on the wait list has also moved up a fair bit, so I've still got my fingers crossed.

I'm thinking I might as well just start up the application process again and work on the areas I can improve, while I weigh out whether Ross is right for me. Getting more exposure and more experience can't hurt me.

Hey,
When did you find out that you were accepted into the Jan 2017 class, and how long later was it when they changed the offer to this September? Last I heard the Fall semester was full, so this has made me hopeful at least!

@katezebra im currently a Ross student, if you want to PM with any questions feel free to do so. I'm sorry you got a bad experience from those people, but my personal experience before coming to Ross was very positive and being here has been an amazing experience. I absolutely love it, it has its flaws like every other school but they really try to listen to us here.

Honestly pick a school you will happy in and that you won't regret later. This is our dream and passion and we're going to be in this school for years.