Ross Interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just have a question about the Ross interview. I have an interview coming up with them in a week and I know they tend to grill you about past poor academic performance. I have a few Cs in my science classes and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to answer these questions? I realize that everyone's situation is different but I feel like I don't have any good excuses other than maybe I took on to much and/or was a little burned out that term.
Also, does any one have any other advice? I know they tend to ask a lot of questions about how well you might adapt to life over there. Do they tend to ask behavioral questions? Also has anyone had Philip Jaroslow as an interviewer on the west coast?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Perhaps use poor academic performance as a learning experience? My situation might be a little different, but I explained on interviews how I overcame a W in general chemistry (literally the first thing on my transcript haha)... I realized I would have to work harder in the class if I wanted to get to veterinary school, especially because chemistry is fundamental to many upper level science courses, such as biochemistry and physiology, which are needed to understand parts of medicine. Additionally, I used it as an opportunity to evaluate my time management and study skills, which I applied to other courses, and that helped me do better across many other courses. In my case, I eventually came back and tutored chemistry, which I hoped demonstrated that I overcame a shortcoming, and now help other people in a similar situation. All of this, I explained during interviews when asked about my grades, if that helps! :)

I have had a lot of C+'s and B- in my time at school with science courses, however all of my other grades were A's. This brought my GPA in at around a 3.40, which is not great compared to a lot of other applicants here. I did very well my last two semesters and have been trying very hard to continue my success.

I was straight forward during my interview, I told him that I wasn't happy with my grades from my Freshman and Sophomore year, but I told him that I love a challenge and I never once backed down or gave up. The courses where I went were extremely challenging and even though I didn't get that A or B that I really worked hard towards, I told myself that I would just have to come up with new strategies to succeed. I formed study groups, made outlines and sought out help from the teachers. I wasn't afraid of looking dumb or unintelligent - I truly and honestly wanted to learn the material and succeed. I told him that college really taught me how to get back up and keep going, which is extremely important for veterinary school. You're going to face great adversity, whether it's putting an animal down, explaining to an owner that their best friend isn't going to make it, or even performing an 8 hour surgery that you're not even sure is going to turn out okay. The point is, you have the will power and determination to keep going, even when the outcome doesn't look good. A strong work ethic can take you very far, especially in a demanding field such as veterinary medicine.

Be confident, but most importantly, be honest. Honesty and integrity will take you a long way. Also good luck with your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the advice! It has been super helpful

Reactions: 1 user
You're welcome, and best of luck with your interview! Just be yourself, and you can't go wrong. Being true to yourself, and feeling good after the interview can help you see if the school is a good fit for you or not :)