Ross University Veterinary Medicine Applicants 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have interviewed at two US schools so far and have been put on the alternate list for one so far. I should be hearing back from the other one soon. I have and interview for Ross this monday as well as one for St. George later this month. Anyone know how soon Ross trypically lets you know whether you have been accepted after the interview? Good luck everyone!!
The doctor who interviewed me called me about a month after my interview to offer me a seat!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck wannabevet!! This was my favorite of all my interviews, they really cared about YOU as a person! Go rock that interview!!

Thanks! I'm excited...my first interview and first chance to show myself as other than numbers. Fingers crossed that I get to pack for the Caribbean this fall! :p

Good luck wannabevet!! This was my favorite of all my interviews, they really cared about YOU as a person! Go rock that interview!!

Oh I like the sound of that! I have an interview Thursday and every time I get nervous I come stalk these threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm excited...my first interview and first chance to show myself as other than numbers. Fingers crossed that I get to pack for the Caribbean this fall! :p

Exactly my feelings :) My numbers probably scream that I should never be a vet but to just be given this opportunity is something I am so incredibly grateful for.

Can anyone who has interviewed already please give me an idea of the types of questions I will be asked???

Can anyone who has interviewed already please give me an idea of the types of questions I will be asked???
Congrats on the interview!! Be ready to explain why/how you will handle living in a strange country without the people you care about. Make sure to know EVERYTHING you put on your apps/essays/transcripts, the good and the bad. Have some reasons why you want to go to Ross. Know why you want to be a vet and some current issues in the field. My interview lasted one hour and 20 minutes, a lot longer than their standard interview (per my interviewer), but it was because it was very conversational, we ended up talking about a whole plethora of things that you can't really prepare for. Other than those tips, just bring a bottle of water and smile!! My interviewer was INCREDIBLY nice. It really was a conversation, moreso than any of my other four interviews. Good luck!! Take deep breaths and nail it!!

Congrats on the interview!! Be ready to explain why/how you will handle living in a strange country without the people you care about. Make sure to know EVERYTHING you put on your apps/essays/transcripts, the good and the bad. Have some reasons why you want to go to Ross. Know why you want to be a vet and some current issues in the field. My interview lasted one hour and 20 minutes, a lot longer than their standard interview (per my interviewer), but it was because it was very conversational, we ended up talking about a whole plethora of things that you can't really prepare for. Other than those tips, just bring a bottle of water and smile!! My interviewer was INCREDIBLY nice. It really was a conversation, moreso than any of my other four interviews. Good luck!! Take deep breaths and nail it!!

Thanks for the advice! :)

Sooo interview is done and over with! Feel confident about it and figured I'd pop on here and give a run down so maybe someone else can learn from my experience.

Met with Dr. Weale (I learned is pronounced as in "wheel" :p) and the interview was very relaxed. I didn't feel as though he was drilling me with questions and he even said himself that he just wanted to learn about me as a person: rather than the numbers he had in front of him.

We talked about everything from my stance on terminal surgeries, living in a third world island, study habits, my weaknesses/strengths academically and personally, why I want to be a vet, why a small animal vs. large vs. research, why Ross...all really great questions. And I was the one to bring up terminal surgeries actually.

What I thought was cool, he asked me if I knew the average debt amount of vet students and recent graduate salaries. He wanted actual numbers to see if I had done my research. Overall, a very positive experience and I feel confident about it! :)

WannaBeVet- Thanks so much for sharing your interview experience! I'm also glad you mentioned that you were the one who brought up the terminal surgeries. Just curious, how did it come up in conversation? I'm just trying to see if I need to prepare answers for ethical questions like that. Guess I'll also be researching debt information a little more thoroughly as well :)

Has anyone interview with Leslie Anderson in Chicago? That's who my interview is with but I haven't seen much on here about her.

WannaBeVet- Thanks so much for sharing your interview experience! I'm also glad you mentioned that you were the one who brought up the terminal surgeries. Just curious, how did it come up in conversation? I'm just trying to see if I need to prepare answers for ethical questions like that. Guess I'll also be researching debt information a little more thoroughly as well :)

Has anyone interview with Leslie Anderson in Chicago? That's who my interview is with but I haven't seen much on here about her.

I think we were talking about research and learning hands on. I had read that Ross has a 'no terminal' surgeries policy. So I mentioned that even though learning on live animals is essential I don't agree with the terminal surgery policy that a lot of schools tend to uphold. We then discussed in detail about how retiring the animals to live on the school farm is a better solution.

He also asked me about my stance on euthanasia, hunting, and what I would do if I was presented with a client that wanted to euthanize a healthy animal. He had a list of questions that he kept referring too and picking and choosing to ask me.

I would look up some basic vet ethic cases for this interview... They asked me about ear crops/tail docks/declawing cats at my interview. Not too much in depth, just have an opinion so you sound informed.

Members don't see this ad :)
after 3 rejections and a waitlist from other schools, Ross offered me a seat, good luck to you all and see you in St. Kitts this September!!

after 3 rejections and a waitlist from other schools, Ross offered me a seat, good luck to you all and see you in St. Kitts this September!!

Yay! Congrats!!!! Finally someone else who's going in September! I don't know about you but I'm already excited/nervous!!!!!

Yay! Congrats!!!! Finally someone else who's going in September! I don't know about you but I'm already excited/nervous!!!!!

yes I am nervous/excited too, I need to get what seems too many things done b4 I leave!!:eek:

Had my interview Thursday with Kevin Niessen in the NJ location. I felt it went really well! He is very laid back and very easy to talk to. We covered all the expected topics like why vet school, why Ross, why I can handle being far away from family, ect, but it was all brought up in a natural, conversational way. I never once felt like I was being posed a question and put on the spot for an answer.
Something he did ask me that I did not expect (although isn't surprising) is what I would want my career to look like a few years after graduating. I was glad he asked, because I was then able to transition the conversation to my passion for large and food animal fields, which is where I want to be. We then talked about that area for quite some time.
Overall, anyone going into an interview with Ross at this location, my advice would be to know what the most important things are to you and how to verbalize them well. Otherwise, relax, push aside your nerves, and be confident in the work you've done the past few years. Bring a bottle of water! I was in there for over an hour.

I have officially been accepted for the August class!!!!

Interview with Leslie Andersen set for March 26th in Chicago !! SO EXCITED. After all this snow, St Kitts sounds like a dream :D

Interview with Leslie Andersen set for March 26th in Chicago !! SO EXCITED. After all this snow, St Kitts sounds like a dream :D

I have one with her on March 14th in Chicago! I'll let you know how it goes for sure :)

Have my interview this march!!! Any hints on interview? Do you have to write anything?

Looks like I will be attending the May class instead...I have been running around for the past two days trying to get all the things I need done...my brain is ready to explode!!!!

I was told on the phone that my application will be reviewed once I have all of my materials in, minus the professional letter of recommendation (they just require it by the time of the interview). I've had all that stuff completed (except for the letter) for at least a month and I haven't heard anything. Does anyone find this unusual?

I was told on the phone that my application will be reviewed once I have all of my materials in, minus the professional letter of recommendation (they just require it by the time of the interview). I've had all that stuff completed (except for the letter) for at least a month and I haven't heard anything. Does anyone find this unusual?

It doesn't hurt to contact them and ask!

Looks like I will be attending the May class instead...I have been running around for the past two days trying to get all the things I need done...my brain is ready to explode!!!!

I actually decided to start early as well! I have no idea how I'm going to get everything done!!!! I haven't even gotten the packet of things I need to get done yet!

I actually decided to start early as well! I have no idea how I'm going to get everything done!!!! I haven't even gotten the packet of things I need to get done yet!

I know it's insane. I'm living off campus cuz I'm bring my pet so I've been dealing with trying to get her paperwork in order.

I'm coming to Ross in September this year too! Let's be friends. :) I really want to meet people and try to get a roommate before I go down because I'll be off campus with my pup too.

I'm coming to Ross in September this year too! Let's be friends. :) I really want to meet people and try to get a roommate before I go down because I'll be off campus with my pup too.

Add me on here and we will keep in touch. If you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Sooo my interview is on Thursday and I was re-reading my confirmation email and realized I overlooked the part about bringing a CV (curriculum vitae) to the interview. I've never made one before, does anyone have any advice or helpful links about making one? Feeling super rushed and I know it's my fault but any help would be appreciated :)

I have been accepted for the August class!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

good luck everyone! I can't wait to meet you all :)

good luck everyone! I can't wait to meet you all :)

How long after your interview to your hear back from Ross? My interview is on March 26 so I was wondering how long afterward should I be biting my nails and pacing lol.

How long after your interview to your hear back from Ross? My interview is on March 26 so I was wondering how long afterward should I be biting my nails and pacing lol.
I waited 6 weeks before they called to accept!

I heard back exactly two weeks after my interview. People told me they haven't heard for a month though so I think it depends how many applications the committee has to review.

best of luck! You'll be fine!

I have interview on 28th but was wondering something about the CV that they want. It says in the parentheses to write detailed description of my clinical experience. CV is in another words resume but they want detailed description of my experience. Anyone that did the CV have advise?

I have interview on 28th but was wondering something about the CV that they want. It says in the parentheses to write detailed description of my clinical experience. CV is in another words resume but they want detailed description of my experience. Anyone that did the CV have advise?

Hi! I had my interview three weeks ago and am currently driving myself insane waiting to hear back!

For my CV, I cut down (but still included) my leadership experience and then elaborated on each of my clinical experiences by adding an extra bullet point or two. In my experience, the CV was used as a reference... "tell me more about your time at blah blah blah." My interviewer used the CV to write notes alongside the specific experiences as I spoke. I suppose they ask for it so that the interviewer doesn't waste time writing down all of the little details about your experience and has more time to record the important things like what you learned and how it has shaped you in your pursuit of a career in veterinary medicine.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. And good luck!!!

I have an interview tomorrow, but I wasn't told to bring anything with me. Does anyone know if it depends on the interviewer? They also gave me less than a weeks notice about my interview.

I was told to bring a CV with me. My interviewer asked for it as well.

I have an interview tomorrow, but I wasn't told to bring anything with me. Does anyone know if it depends on the interviewer? They also gave me less than a weeks notice about my interview.

There's a chance it could depend on the interviewer. Just to be safe, I would go back and reread all email correspondence between yourself and admissions to make sure that you didn't overlook it or anything.

So I interviewed on Thursday and I'm not sure how it went. I don't want to say much about it on here just in case my interviewer reads posts on here, but basically the attitude of my interviewer left me pretty unsure about things when I was leaving. Contrary to a lot of posts on here, I didn't feel like my interview was very conversational and definitely more confrontational. Then again, because of my academic history I have a little more explaining to do about things so perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive but I guess it's out of my hands now. If anyone on here has questions about the interview or CV feel free to PM me. I was very grateful, however, to my interviewer because I guess I did my CV a little incorrectly and she allowed me to revise it and send it to her by the end of the day.

Took them about 4 weeks to get back to me after the interview...but I got offered a spot in the September 2013 VetPrep Program!!! :D Soo I can't believe I got accepted after all of the rejections in the US, reality still hasn't dawned on me yet!

Does anyone know if theres a thread for accepted students???