Ross University Veterinary Medicine Applicants 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a skype interview with Ross on the 10th, has anyone else had a skype interview? It looks like most of the forums I've surfed said they had in person interviews...just looking for any advice as to what to expect :)

I had a Skype interview with them back in January and was accepted! Not sure where I'm going yet, I've been waitlisted at three schools here in the US and am really hoping to go somewhere here, but anyway! The Skype interview was very nice, extremely casual and conversational. My interviewer was very supportive of my answers and really seemed like he was excited to be talking to me. I'm pretty sure they go into interviews expecting to be offering admissions to interviewees, so don't sweat it! Also, I was definitely wearing sweatpants since he couldn't see them haha, so make yourself comfortable :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a skype interview with Ross on the 10th, has anyone else had a skype interview? It looks like most of the forums I've surfed said they had in person interviews...just looking for any advice as to what to expect :)
I had a skype interview. For me it was a lot harder because my SGU interview was in person and with a vet that graduated from there. My skype interview with Ross was with an admissions guy so he focused a lot more on academics and less time on experience. There will probably be some questions about family support also. I would recommend staying positive through out the interview. I thought mine went horribly but I must of said something right since I am in for the fall class. Good luck!

Thanks you guys! That helps a lot! Ill try to stop freaking out. My auburn interview was similar to what you described so hopefully this one will go even better! (Hoping for an acceptance and not a wait list!)

Also I was definitely planning on wearing black yoga pants instead of slacks on the bottom to keep it comfy :) pretty excited about that situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you guys! That helps a lot! Ill try to stop freaking out. My auburn interview was similar to what you described so hopefully this one will go even better! (Hoping for an acceptance and not a wait list!)

Also I was definitely planning on wearing black yoga pants instead of slacks on the bottom to keep it comfy :) pretty excited about that situation.

I was waitlisted at Auburn too! My #1 choice :( Seriously hoping to get off of it

I had a Skype interview with them back in January and was accepted! Not sure where I'm going yet, I've been waitlisted at three schools here in the US and am really hoping to go somewhere here, but anyway! The Skype interview was very nice, extremely casual and conversational. My interviewer was very supportive of my answers and really seemed like he was excited to be talking to me. I'm pretty sure they go into interviews expecting to be offering admissions to interviewees, so don't sweat it! Also, I was definitely wearing sweatpants since he couldn't see them haha, so make yourself comfortable :)

Also, just because it's over Skype doesn't mean you should treat it any differently from an in-person interview! So dress up (at least what is visible over the webcam), have good posture, smile and have the background of where your Skype interview neat. Overall my interview was pretty stress free, and as others have stated they might ask you questions on experiences, academics and personal life. Nothing too hard though. Try and research the island and the school in depth if you haven't yet, and see if there's any questions that you can think of, because your interview may ask if you have any. Otherwise, don't stress out because I'm sure it will go great, and good luck!

I feel like I have a difficult time researching stuff about the university (not just for Ross but for any school) outside of the sparkly fluff they put on their website. Anyone have good resources for finding out nitty gritty details about curriculum etc? I just don't want to sound like a total doofus :) thanks for all your help! Love this pre-vet forum community

I feel like I have a difficult time researching stuff about the university (not just for Ross but for any school) outside of the sparkly fluff they put on their website. Anyone have good resources for finding out nitty gritty details about curriculum etc? I just don't want to sound like a total doofus :) thanks for all your help! Love this pre-vet forum community
A major thing to talk about is the fact that you start working with animal in your 1st semester at Ross. Also they look at a person as a whole not just based on your academic performance. A major thing they advertise is students are more prepared going into clinicals and they get different perspectives (island medicine vs. US medicine).

Thanks! I've had a lot of interactions with Ross grads after volunteering at colorado state's VTH and they absolutely seem better prepared! At the emergency clinic I work at now we usually have 1 of our 2 interns from Ross. Admittedly I applied as a backup plan but now I'm legitimately excited about going there!!!

Question about housing: can you live on campus for the duration of pre clinicals? Or do you HAVE to move off campus after the first semester?

Question about housing: can you live on campus for the duration of pre clinicals? Or do you HAVE to move off campus after the first semester?

You HAVE to move off campus.. But trust me, it's a blessing! It's so much cheaper and there are places that are literally right across the street from campus for those of us who like to walk! You'll see once you get down here.. The only great thing about the dorms is that there is unlimited AC without having to pay for it!

Has anyone else noticed the following on the Ross website? I understand that everything is lined up for the Limited Accreditation from the AVMA to return to Full Accreditation. I sent an email to the school asking a few questions about it and received no response. I may try calling an admissions counsellor this week. I can't help but wonder if there is even a *chance* that Ross would lose accreditation. Then again, I guess that is technically a risk with any school... I don't mean to raise any unnecessary alarm. Any thoughts on this?

AVMA COE Accreditation

In March 2011, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine received full accreditation from theAmerican Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA COE).

In May 2013, the School was found to be noncompliant for Standard 10, Research, and placed on Limited Accreditation status for up to two years. RUSVM’s strategy to address the research program has been approved by the COE, and the School aims to implement this research strategy with immediate effect. RUSVM will build a substantial research program through investment, collaborations, new research facilities, and new research faculty appointments. Students will continue to benefit from existing and new research programs within the School, as well as a new credit-bearing research course in Semester 1. The next comprehensive evaluation will occur in 2018.

Has anyone else noticed the following on the Ross website? I understand that everything is lined up for the Limited Accreditation from the AVMA to return to Full Accreditation. I sent an email to the school asking a few questions about it and received no response. I may try calling an admissions counsellor this week. I can't help but wonder if there is even a *chance* that Ross would lose accreditation. Then again, I guess that is technically a risk with any school... I don't mean to raise any unnecessary alarm. Any thoughts on this?

AVMA COE Accreditation

In March 2011, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine received full accreditation from theAmerican Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA COE).

In May 2013, the School was found to be noncompliant for Standard 10, Research, and placed on Limited Accreditation status for up to two years. RUSVM’s strategy to address the research program has been approved by the COE, and the School aims to implement this research strategy with immediate effect. RUSVM will build a substantial research program through investment, collaborations, new research facilities, and new research faculty appointments. Students will continue to benefit from existing and new research programs within the School, as well as a new credit-bearing research course in Semester 1. The next comprehensive evaluation will occur in 2018.
It's unusual for schools to lose accreditation completely. Especially since they were told how to fix it. If they do and you were going to school there, your degree would still be accredited.

It's unusual for schools to lose accreditation completely. Especially since they were told how to fix it. If they do and you were going to school there, your degree would still be accredited.

This. All of us here currently are guaranteed to graduate from a fully accredited school and I'm pretty sure any incoming class is as well. Also, I should note that Ross is taking leaps and bounds in the ways if research. They have hired several internationally known researchers, built a new research facility, and are incorporating research into the curriculum more. I'm not interested in research really, but I'm really impressed with the changes I've seen in just a semester. I don't have a doubt that Ross will get its full accreditation status back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had an interview at 11 this morning and got the call today at 3:30! Talk about a quick turnaround! Accepted for the September class!!

I'm accepted for the September class too! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats both of you! Looks like we will be classmates

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago. I'm very anxious waiting for the welcome packet. They said it wouldn't come until April or May. I feel like there is a ton to do!

I agree! I'm totally overwhelmed with all the stuff to do. There's a Ross alum who's an intern at the clinic I work at - I told her to prepare for questions!

I took my MCAT last year and got only a 20 on it. I was totally disappointed, but I didn't want to waste a year so I applied only to RossU for medical program.
I submitted my applications in January. I got an interview February 25. I just got a call yesterday (3/12/14) for my acceptance for September 2014 term.
I just want to say to hopeful pre-med students, please don't lose hope. You have made it so far and you're gonna achieve your goals eventually.
RossU class of 2018 woohoo!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I took my MCAT last year and got only a 20 on it. I was totally disappointed, but I didn't want to waste a year so I applied only to RossU for medical program.
I submitted my applications in January. I got an interview February 25. I just got a call yesterday (3/12/14) for my acceptance for September 2014 term.
I just want to say to hopeful pre-med students, please don't lose hope. You have made it so far and you're gonna achieve your goals eventually.
RossU class of 2018 woohoo!!!!!!
Wrong forum (we are pre-veterinary) but congrats on your acceptance nonetheless :)

Does anyone know the protocol on bringing medications to St. Kitts? The Ross nurse told me I should bring enough down for the whole semester. I am in the process of trying to find out if that is possible because insurance is pretty strict.

Graci I wish I could help but I have no idea! I know you can get an advance on your prescription for 30 or 60 days from your insurance but idk about an entire semester. Maybe your doc could write the prescription differently so you'd have a bigger supply?

(I felt bad posting and not addressing your Q :) )

Is anyone else freaking out about the idea of buying a car on St Kitts?! I seriously don't want to but it sounds like it's necessary. Has anyone heard of students not buying cars?

Does anyone know the protocol on bringing medications to St. Kitts? The Ross nurse told me I should bring enough down for the whole semester. I am in the process of trying to find out if that is possible because insurance is pretty strict.

I haven't flown to St. Kitts, but I'd assume medication guidelines are about the same there as in Grenada, so....Ask your insurance company if you can get a "vacation override". I was able to get 4 months of medications at once and the insurance covered it (just took some phone calls to the insurance company and pharmacy). I think I can get something like 3-4 vacation overrides a year at 4 months of meds at a time. Not all insurance companies do it that way (I don't think) but it is definitely worth looking into! It makes like much, much easier :)

Is anyone else freaking out about the idea of buying a car on St Kitts?! I seriously don't want to but it sounds like it's necessary. Has anyone heard of students not buying cars?

Depends on where you're planning on living. The neighborhoods surrounding campus? You can probably get by without one and walk to class/get rides from friends/take buses and taxis when you want to go places. When you live on campus the first semester you guys will all coordinate taxi and bus rides to the grocery store, beach, etc. I live about 15 mins (driving) from campus though so it's absolutely necessary I have one. Some people choose to buy scooters too. Bikes are not recommended. It's really not a hard process- it seems scary but usually if you buy from a student they will be very helpful in the process.

Thanks for the help. For anyone with the same question. I contacted a different nurse down there and she said you can bring in a 3 month supply of medication at a time. Then you just need to see a local doctor and then someone from the US ships the medications to you. You just use a note from a local doctor to prove to customs you are on that medication.

Last edited:
Did anyone here interview with Ms. Mancia by any chance?

Nope, I interviewed with Dr. St Jean. I can't imagine any of the interviewers will ask too different of questions though :) he seemed most concerned about my ability to adapt to island life and if I had traveled abroad. It was really low key and relaxed.

I know there are a few Ross interview posts from a while ago - you may want to search for those for info on your interviewer :) if you have questions about my interview you can PM me too.

I interviewed with Ms. Mancia. The interview was very relaxed and she just asked me questions about my history. There were no trick questions or anything like that. She was basically asking things about your previous experiences, about your home life and about being able to handle being away from your family for that long; during holidays and things like that. We met at a Starbucks and there were so many people there that I couldn't tell who she was, so I ended up texting her to make sure she was there and she did respond. It wasn't bad at all.

Would anyone on here who was accepted to the vet prep program mind sharing their stats with me?

I have a quick question about Ross. How do you guys pay for it?

Hello everyone! How long does it take for Ross to process your application and find out if you get an interview? Do you find out via email?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was just accepted into the Vet Prep Program for Jan. 2015...unless a September 2014 spot opens up. I was really happy to start and now that everything is sinking in, I am getting more and more nervous about starting. There's so much to do! Anyone else here feeling a bit overwhelmed? Anyone else on here getting ready for the Vet Prep in Jan 2015?

Hey everyone! I was just accepted into the Vet Prep Program for Jan. 2015...unless a September 2014 spot opens up. I was really happy to start and now that everything is sinking in, I am getting more and more nervous about starting. There's so much to do! Anyone else here feeling a bit overwhelmed? Anyone else on here getting ready for the Vet Prep in Jan 2015?
Were you told September was full? How long did you wait to hear something after sending your application in?

I was accepted for the August 2014 Vet Prep program. I am a mature student from Canada. Any other mature students in the program? Anyone that has completed the Prep program, did you find it helpful? What other schools have you applied to? Thanks

Were you told September was full? How long did you wait to hear something after sending your application in?

I sent my application last year in October through VMCAS. Its June and I haven't heard a single thing. I guess this is my subtle rejection. I kind of want a refund - I need sandwich money!

I sent my application last year in October through VMCAS. Its June and I haven't heard a single thing. I guess this is my subtle rejection. I kind of want a refund - I need sandwich money!
Did you contact them? I feel like you should have heard something by now :/

I was accepted for the August 2014 Vet Prep program. I am a mature student from Canada. Any other mature students in the program? Anyone that has completed the Prep program, did you find it helpful? What other schools have you applied to? Thanks

I did the prep program and yes it was helpful. Feel free to PM me with other questions!

Did you contact them? I feel like you should have heard something by now :/

I agree, that is weird and I would definitely talk to them!

Is there a possibility that you're missing something on the application? And what semester did you apply for through vmcas?

Is there a possibility that you're missing something on the application? And what semester did you apply for through vmcas?

Nothing was incomplete. It doesn't really matter because I was accepted to Colorado. I just thought it was very odd that they would not have given any kind of response.

Hey y'all ! I just had my interview this week and I am super nervous. Mine was in NJ and she really questioned my previous grades even the ones non related to science. For those that have been accepted to the vet prep program.. do you all mine sharing stats ? thank you

also .. have any of you heard of anyone getting denied after an interview?

They can deny you after an interview, but when they do I was told they tell you steps to take (such as additional classes or experiences) before you apply again. I haven't heard of anyone being denied personally but so far all my experiences with Rossies are ones who have graduated or are in their clinical year.

Hey y'all ! I just had my interview this week and I am super nervous. Mine was in NJ and she really questioned my previous grades even the ones non related to science. For those that have been accepted to the vet prep program.. do you all mine sharing stats ? thank you

also .. have any of you heard of anyone getting denied after an interview?
I have an interview coming up in New Jersey as well. Did you apply for the Spring?

Hi all! I'm new to SDN, so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. But I was wondering for those who applied and got accepted into Ross University's Vet program applied through either VMCAS or directly to the school itself? And are there advantages / disadvantages to applying through either compared to the other?

I have an interview coming up in New Jersey as well. Did you apply for the Spring?
I originally applied for fall but it's all full so spring it is. I still haven't heard anything. I am so nervous.