Ross University Veterinary Medicine Applicants 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree defer your acceptance I was also accepted to September class 2013 but had to defer due to unforeseen bump in the road. i.e. my wife is having twins in December. I was able to defer to September 2014. It just cost the $1000 to save your spot and a good reason, and I think that only having 2 to 3 weeks to get all your stuff together is a good reason.

Members don't see this ad.

So, after all that I got accepted into vet prep (sept if a slot opens otherwise Jan) I really didn't think that would be the decision since they asked me to take a full semester of upper level science since I graduated college in 2001. I got 3 As and a B. my GPA from my last 73 credits is 3.65, last 40 credits 3.74. I do have some poor grades from my early college, but I went to school initially for 3 years, then took 2 years off, then went back to school and rocked it. Proved to them this last semester I could still do it by taking Biochem 2, endocrinology, advanced Microbiology and animal cell culture B, A, A, A. I have tons of experience, worked in a clinic a while back, currently a vet manager for a rescue, worked with horses quite a bit, not as much cattle accept necropsy and blood draws. I worked as a scientist for 12 years, 3 of those for Fort Dodge Animal Health in research. GRE not great 1080, 3.5 writing. Not great stats but not awful.

I really thought I had done well enough to get accepted. I will do vet prep as it is a guarantee, but how do you pay for it? Do student loans cover vet-prep? Also, I was told over the phone on Thurs, should I get a packet in the mail or do they email details. There isn't a lot of info about vet prep in the website.

Does anyone know how many people get into vet prep each semester? Anyone know the percent of those that move on to vet school?

I know I should be happy as I finally have a shot, but was a little bit of a let down, gotta be honest.

Thanks all!!!

I really thought I had done well enough to get accepted. I will do vet prep as it is a guarantee, but how do you pay for it? Do student loans cover vet-prep? Also, I was told over the phone on Thurs, should I get a packet in the mail or do they email details. There isn't a lot of info about vet prep in the website.

Does anyone know how many people get into vet prep each semester? Anyone know the percent of those that move on to vet school?

I know I should be happy as I finally have a shot, but was a little bit of a let down, gotta be honest.

Thanks all!!!

Congrats! Vet prep is not the end of the world. I am going to be doing VP in September. A lot of the students that are posting on the page that said they did vet prep have all been really happy they did it. I know a girl who did it and is a 2nd or 3rd semester now and she said it has helped her immensely. It's nice to not have a huge course load right off the bat I'm also hearing. The big downside is that it's technically not grad/professional school yet so you won't qualify for federal loans...you'll have to take out a credit based private loan.

You should be getting a bunch of emails soon, as well as snail mail documents. It doesn't come in one big clump of information, it's been like one email/one piece of mail a week.

As far as I've heard, they accept about 30 students into vet prep. As long as you keep up with the course work and pass, you move on to 1st semester. I haven't heard of many people failing out of vet prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was afraid of that with the loans. That is so frustrating as I just cashed out my 401K to complete the semester here that they asked me to complete to show them I could handle a full load after being out of school. I have crap credit so I won't be eligible for any private loans. uggg...

I am new to the world of school loans, do they have a suggested private loan company to go through? I imagine these are harder to get because you are non-degree seeking. Does the school give you any info on this?

I am new to the world of school loans, do they have a suggested private loan company to go through? I imagine these are harder to get because you are non-degree seeking. Does the school give you any info on this?

Yes, the financial aid office sent out a list of a bunch of lenders that are currently lending to vet prep students or have lent to them in the past. If you don't have good credit maybe consider looking for a co-signer?

Yes, the financial aid office sent out a list of a bunch of lenders that are currently lending to vet prep students or have lent to them in the past. If you don't have good credit maybe consider looking for a co-signer?

Where did the financial aid office send out this list? I was accepted to do VetPrep for January as well. To be honest, I really haven't looked too far into the financial aid yet (procrastination at its finest) but I didn't receive an email or anything.

Where did the financial aid office send out this list? I was accepted to do VetPrep for January as well. To be honest, I really haven't looked too far into the financial aid yet (procrastination at its finest) but I didn't receive an email or anything.

They don't send it out, I had to contact financial aid. I had never taken out a loan before and was pretty clueless, and the student coordinators on Facebook advised to contact Financial Aid for assistance so that's what I did. They won't tell you who they think you should pick or how much to take out, but they will give you a list of lenders. If you don't contact them, you'll eventually get the loan acceptance email about a month before the start of the semester and that will have the list as well.

Hi, I'm new to this whole forum thing but I feel I could get a lot of useful information.
My name is Lindsey and I have been accepted to St. George pre-vet 3rd year and the pre vet for Ross for January 2014. But, I have chosen to attend ross, i am seeing if they would bump me into first semester veterinary with my summer transcript.
I have several concern about private lending but y'all clarified a lot of that. My next major concern is the mandatory on campus housing for first semesters I have 4 dogs ( 2 JRTs, a Yorkie, and a Chihuahua) while its possible for 3 of them to stay with my husband in he states while I complete the first semester it is far from ideal. My Chihuahua is a post head trauma case and suffers from vertigo, and increased CSF pressures (hydrocephalus) he is on the slow degrade neurologically speaking from a small piece of skull migrating into his brain, I feel at the best he has a year left. I don't want to leave the burden of caring for him along with the 3 healthy dogs solely on my husband. Does anyone know of who or what should be my first step in appealing the mandatory first semester on campus?
Thanks in advance,
Lindsey

Hi guys! I was accepted into the January 2014 class of Ross and wanted to know if anyone else has??? And see how they're going along with the process and such :)

I was accepted to Jan 14, my prep is going horrible in my opinion I'm lost on many different levels: rabies vaccines, titers, living arrangements, the list is endless. I have emailed the guy in charge of helping me with the process 4 times called 5 times with no replies yet. I'm feeling extremely discouraged to say the least and feel like I don't have much time.

Okay so I had my interview for Ross University on July 16 and I still have not heard back. In the interview she said it would take 3 to 4 weeks to hear back. It's been almost 6! The woman who interviewed me told me not to worry last week because they were focusing on the September class. But I am freaking out! Has anyone else had this happen to them? My interview went extremely well and she told me I shouldn't be worried but 6 weeks is a long time to wait for an acceptance!

I was accepted to Jan 14, my prep is going horrible in my opinion I'm lost on many different levels: rabies vaccines, titers, living arrangements, the list is endless. I have emailed the guy in charge of helping me with the process 4 times called 5 times with no replies yet. I'm feeling extremely discouraged to say the least and feel like I don't have much time.

I am in Vet Prep now so I will be joining your January class :) I just went through everything so if you have any specific questions, feel free to message me on here! Chances are the reasoning behind the slow response from your person of contact (is it Bill Bingham?) is because this past week has been orientation week for the incoming class and I know a lot of the admissions people were here for that. It's been a very busy week so just be patient! Classes start tomorrow so hopefully you get a response soon.

Okay so I had my interview for Ross University on July 16 and I still have not heard back. In the interview she said it would take 3 to 4 weeks to hear back. It's been almost 6! The woman who interviewed me told me not to worry last week because they were focusing on the September class. But I am freaking out! Has anyone else had this happen to them? My interview went extremely well and she told me I shouldn't be worried but 6 weeks is a long time to wait for an acceptance!

6 weeks is perfectly normal. I was told 6-8 weeks and I had to wait two months so I wouldn't fret quite yet. Like I said above, this has been orientation week so everyone has been focused on that. Hopefully you hear sometime soon! I know it seems like a long time but Ross actually has a quick turn around for interview/acceptances. Many state schools have to wait MUCH longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! That makes me feel better. I think the only reason I'm so nervous is because I know someone who was told 3 to 4 weeks and found out in 2 weeks! I guess patience is the key. *sigh*

Thanks so much! That makes me feel better. I think the only reason I'm so nervous is because I know someone who was told 3 to 4 weeks and found out in 2 weeks! I guess patience is the key. *sigh*

No problem. I was freaking out too so it's completely understandable. I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to how fast they give out acceptances. Not to scare you, but if I had to guess they let the stronger applicants in right away and wait around a little longer on the others..there was a girl that heard the weekend after she interviewed that she was accepted. But I know many like me who have had to wait upwards of 2 months. Hang in there :)

Thank you for the info, my contact is Bill Bingham. I guess I'll lay off the phone calls, lol. I have found out some of the questions I had but only regarding the vaccines necessary for moving to the island and for school. They where making it seem like I needed to get myself rabies vaccinated before coming down which is extremely pricey, (although I could have used the vaccines at work this week for my Domestic vs. Wildlife case, lol) I'll take you up on emailing you with questions though. I need to find out about getting approved for off campus housing.

I had my interview on June 26, and got my acceptance phone call on July 25th. I would email your interviewer just to check in on your application and interview.

I actually have another question. I dont know if anyone who just got accepted would know this or not yet but I heard from a veterinarian who just graduated from Ross this May that the school was no longer accredited. However when I go to AVMA's website it says they were observed in 2011 and recieved full accredidation and was not going to be observed again until 2017. This vet also told me that because they were no longer accredited, anyone who goes there now would have to take an extra test (besides the NAVLE) which costs around $2,000 to get your DVM and be able to work back in the US and I guess to accredidate yourself/DVM?? If I get accepted I plan on asking this question at orientation but I wonder if anyone knows now.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this and now I'm honestly kinda worried being that I just placed my 1000.00 non refundable deposit. I wonder if the "Limited Accreditation status" means you have to take the extra test.

"In May 2013, the School was found to be noncompliant for Standard 10, Research, and placed on Limited Accreditation status for up to two years. RUSVM’s strategy to address the research program has been approved by the COE, and the School aims to implement this research strategy with immediate effect. RUSVM will build a substantial research program through investment, collaborations, new research facilities, and new research faculty appointments. Students will continue to benefit from existing and new research programs within the School, as well as a new credit-bearing research course in Semester 1. The next comprehensive evaluation will occur in 2018."

I'm going to private message both of you regarding your concerns over this matter. But basically, you have nothing to worry about. If you still choose to enroll at RUSVM, you have no risk of graduating from an unaccredited university.

Well ive finally been getting some stuff via mail so thats made me feel a bit better and i was told as well that they were dealing like crazy with the September class and that once they were done with that we'd start getting our stuff soon :)

I got my acceptance yesterday!! Yay!! I start in January!! I just got my "checklist" via email. There is a lot to do! I'm not sure what to do about this rabies shot because no where around where I live has it! I don't mind shots; they just don't bother me. Does anyone know if these are mandatory? I have all the other shots because of undergrad but I don't have the rabies vaccine.

I got my acceptance yesterday!! Yay!! I start in January!! I just got my "checklist" via email. There is a lot to do! I'm not sure what to do about this rabies shot because no where around where I live has it! I don't mind shots; they just don't bother me. Does anyone know if these are mandatory? I have all the other shots because of undergrad but I don't have the rabies vaccine.

Congrats! We are going to be classmates :) Have you checked your county or state health department for the rabies vaccine? Also check traveling clinics. Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for each vaccine. If you can't find any, don't fret. It's not a requirement for the island, it's for your clinics. So you have until your 5th or 6th semester here to get them. Ross knows there is a shortage of the vaccine so you can get yourself put onto a waiting list here through the nurse's office and when they get a shipment in here they advance the waiting list.

I called my primary care physician and they don't have it. They told me to call DHEC so I did. They told me they don't have it and don't get it in unless someone gets bit. They also said they didn't even know where to tell me to go. I know they are expensive so I'm prepared for that.

ccufemale0591, I was having a concern about the vaccines as well I emailed the nurse down there and she said this. "If you can not find rabies vaccine it is not a problem to get it here in Student Health Services . If you have already had rabies vaccine you do not need to get a titer until the beginning of seventh semester and we arrange that to be done here on campus." I found some around me at a travel health center it is 298.00 a dose and you need 3.. So im going to wait.

Ok, so I submitted my VMCAS application but am a little confused. Is there a supplemental? I had trouble find info on the website where it says specifically. Thanks!

There was not a supplemental for Ross last semester so unless they have changed things in one semester then there is not one.

Hope everyone gets accepted soon who are still waiting to find out!

I was wondering if anyone had a situation like I did:
I had the Ross interview but the interviewer put my application on hold due to my lower chemistry GPA. She requested a progress report from my biochem professor to show that I can bring up my chem GPA. As of now, I'm in the process of getting the letter, after the first exam. She assured me that after I did that, I would be fine (whatever that meant).
Has anyone experienced this before? If so, was the outcome positive?

Thanks everyone

I just got an interview for Ross's August 2014 class! I know a lot of people do Skype interviews, but mines in person two weeks from now. Can anyone please help me out and give me some advice on the interview?!

Has anyone else that applied for the August 2014 class heard anything recently? I haven't received any correspondence since October and I'm starting to get worried... :nailbiting:

I haven't heard anything either valew! I actually emailed them to check because I haven't heard anything since October and they said they would contact us sometime in December. I'm guessing they've been focusing on filling their January class and still haven't finished August applications yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, this is nothing out of the ordinary. You guys basically get put on the back burner until they've wrapped things up with finals, preparations for the January class, etc. For admissions, you guys are farrrrr in the distant future still, as there's two incoming classes before you.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an interview invite for January 23rd in San Francisco. Will anyone else on SDN be there? If anyone has any advice on Ross' in-person interview, I'd really appreciate any help! How formal is the interview? What is the dress attire? How long should I expect to be there? Thank you!! :)

Has anyone heard anything recently?? I have been in Committee Review for 6 weeks now.. Slowly losing my mind..

p.s. @valew323 I interviewed in Buffalo, NY. For me the interview was very laid back. It was very conversational and there weren't any tricky questions for me. I wore dress pants, a button up shirt, and a blazer. Also my interview only took about an hour and a half. That was just my experience though, Hope that's helpful!

Has anyone heard anything recently?? I have been in Committee Review for 6 weeks now.. Slowly losing my mind..

p.s. @valew323 I interviewed in Buffalo, NY. For me the interview was very laid back. It was very conversational and there weren't any tricky questions for me. I wore dress pants, a button up shirt, and a blazer. Also my interview only took about an hour and a half. That was just my experience though, Hope that's helpful!

Thanks, @klynnr214!

I received an interview invite for January 23rd in San Francisco. Will anyone else on SDN be there? If anyone has any advice on Ross' in-person interview, I'd really appreciate any help! How formal is the interview? What is the dress attire? How long should I expect to be there? Thank you!! :)

I interviewed in San Francisco with Tom Hueller, so I'm guessing yours is with him too. I recommend getting there early because parking was a nightmare (and cost $50). Definitely dress professional. Market street is all business people so you will really stand out if you're not well dressed. If you look through other threads you can find some advice about the interviewer. I thought he was nice and my interview was pretty conversational. He asked me a lot about family/ support system, what I knew about St. Kitts, the big "why do you want to be a vet" question, and then we just talked about some other things on my VMCAS. It lasted maybe 45 mins but it flew by. I'd say just research St. Kitts and know your application well and you'll be fine. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much at all. Good luck!

Hey guys. I'm thinking of applying to Ross for August 2014 if I don't get accepted to my instate school (Tennessee) or Auburn.
What's the school like? How big are the classes? How do you get your placement for clinicals? What's the graduation rate and how often do people have to redo a year there? What's the deal with the vet prep program?

I would suggest going to one of their info seminars if possible or request a view book through their website, it answers most of those questions :) I am going in August 2014 and I already am in love with the school. There are definitely positives and negatives to going to a Caribbean school. I don't know the exact class size but it is more than in US schools I believe. Everyone gets placed in one of the 20 something US schools for clinicals that have an agreement with Ross. I believe you give them your top choices during your 7th semester on the island and then everyone is placed. I honestly don't know the answer to the graduation rate/ redo question but I imagine it is higher than in the US because they offer more opportunities to lower GPA undergrads but the curriculum is just as difficult as in the US. Lastly, vet prep is offered by the admissions committee (you cant apply for it) to applicants who they believe show potential but there is some academic problem on their application. If accepted to vet prep, you need to pass a semester of basic prep classes on the island and then you are automatically accepted to start vet school the next semester.

Hope this answers some questions! you can PM me if you want to know anything else! I've pretty much been researching Ross for the past 5 years and am finally going in August!! :)

P.s. Lots of people considering caribbean vet schools also look in to St. Georges University. Unfortunately I don't know much about it but I have heard great things about it so you should check that out as well :)

Hey guys. I'm thinking of applying to Ross for August 2014 if I don't get accepted to my instate school (Tennessee) or Auburn.
What's the school like? How big are the classes? How do you get your placement for clinicals? What's the graduation rate and how often do people have to redo a year there? What's the deal with the vet prep program?
@klynnr214 pretty much covered everything, and I'm not sure of the graduation rate but I know the passing rate for the NAVLE is 94%, which is very comparable to schools in the states. I also work with a vet who went there and know a current student that is there now, and they have absolutely nothing but wonderful things to say about the program. One of their favorite things about Ross is how the curriculum is very hands on right from the start, which is different from a lot of United States schools. In first semester anatomy there are animal palpation classes to begin how to learn how to preform a physical exam, which I think is awesome!

St. George's is also a good option as well! I applied there too and had a wonderful Skype interview experience and was accepted. I don't know of any current veterinary students that go there, but I know a few medical students and they have nothing bad to say about that island and the school!

I got into the veterinary program for September 2014 at Ross and the veterinary program for January 2015 at SGU. I haven't decided where I'm choosing yet, but I very excited.

Hey y'all,
I was accepted this past Monday to Ross for September 14th! :)
I was so shocked when I got the phone call that I didn't write any of the information down and am sort of confused right now. When you guys got your phone call, how long after did it take for your your adviser to contact you with more information? Did you get a packet in the mail? An email?
I feel like I'm missing something!

It takes a little while! I remember after I got the call I didn't get anything for like 2 weeks so I started to think I made up the phone call from all the stress hahaha. They are probably going to be getting the may class (when im going! :soexcited:) ready before they start focusing on the september class. But you can call admissions if that makes you feel better! Congrats!!

It takes a little while! I remember after I got the call I didn't get anything for like 2 weeks so I started to think I made up the phone call from all the stress hahaha. They are probably going to be getting the may class (when im going! :soexcited:) ready before they start focusing on the september class. But you can call admissions if that makes you feel better! Congrats!!
Thank you so much!! I've been replaying the phone conversation over and over again in my head just in case I imagined it haha
So excited :)))

Hey y'all,
I was accepted this past Monday to Ross for September 14th! :)
I was so shocked when I got the phone call that I didn't write any of the information down and am sort of confused right now. When you guys got your phone call, how long after did it take for your your adviser to contact you with more information? Did you get a packet in the mail? An email?
I feel like I'm missing something!
Hey WillbeDrNikki- glad you asked that question! I have been stressing out also because I don't remember any of my phone call from the admissions guy besides the part of him saying I was accepted. I keep worrying he made a mistake and I'm secretly not accepted. SGU sent stuff right away, so I was worrying about when I would be getting stuff from Ross. Especially since Ive decided to accept Ross's offer for the September class.

Does anyone know how soon a deposit is due? The website says 2 weeks after acceptance but is that after the phone call from the admissions guy or wait until you've heard from the student coordinator?
Thanks

Hey there Graci, first of all congratulations! Second, I believe it is two weeks from the date that you receive your official acceptance letter in the mail. I got mine about a week and a half after my phone call, so don't worry if you just recently got your call but didn't get your letter yet.

Hey there Graci, first of all congratulations! Second, I believe it is two weeks from the date that you receive your official acceptance letter in the mail. I got mine about a week and a half after my phone call, so don't worry if you just recently got your call but didn't get your letter yet.
Thanks for the info! I just got my call a week ago, so ill be watching for a letter. I just didn't want to lose my spot.

Does anyone know how soon a deposit is due? The website says 2 weeks after acceptance but is that after the phone call from the admissions guy or wait until you've heard from the student coordinator?
Thanks

I ended up paying my deposit a few days after my phone call acceptance. Depending on when you were accepted and for which semester it may take some time for your acceptance packet to come (I was accepted in July for the January class, my packet didn't come until the middle of September). I would call the admissions office to clarify what the procedure is if I were you.

I ended up paying my deposit a few days after my phone call acceptance. Depending on when you were accepted and for which semester it may take some time for your acceptance packet to come (I was accepted in July for the January class, my packet didn't come until the middle of September). I would call the admissions office to clarify what the procedure is if I were you.
Ok thanks for letting me know. Ill check into it!

I have a skype interview with Ross on the 10th, has anyone else had a skype interview? It looks like most of the forums I've surfed said they had in person interviews...just looking for any advice as to what to expect :)